Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Impact on EVE from Star Citizen?

13»

Comments

• YakamomotoYakamomoto Member Posts: 363
    Originally posted by Jojin

Let us assume the game actually gets developed.

While both games are space games, there is a big difference in the play and focus of both games.  Because of this the impact would be minimal, as both appeal to a different style of play.

Based on watching his hour long presentation, Star Citizen is a Solo based simulator with a story line (like previous Wing Commander Games) and also has multiplayer universe to interact.  Also, the combat and control is the main focus; an action game where you manually fly and fire weapons.

EVE on the otherhand is more focused on economics, regional control and tactical battles where players just issue commands the system handles flight and weapon hit calculations.

It will be like Privateer (Space Trading) and like Wing Commander, which was focused on economics too and I think it will be pretty similiar to EvE, just with action combat and better "Walking in Stations" :D

Plus story.

So the impact could be significant. I backed the project with 2 x 125$

• TyrianPrimeTyrianPrime Member UncommonPosts: 107

It was about time, for the space game genre to have more powerfull representatives, but as it unfolds, Star Citizen has a quite different style than that of EvE, a very fast paced one, action packed, adrenaline surge, that would put them both on the opposite extremes, while Swtor as a themepark MMO in the middle. 

It's an oversimplified opinion, but can outline the status of space games in the market,and consequently rather glorify the essence of EvE...that is, the lust of fast action, space combat that will be met with SC, will produce more fans and players for more sophisticated space games, like EvE, that want to jump back and forth from two different styles of play. In that sense, the impact, will be a positive boost for both:)

One would say, and then why don't you make an EVE+SC game that will rock the market? The answer is simple...Swtor...didn't  excell in ground combat, didn't in space, thus separated, as is, these games, could master their style of play with success.

And thus, since EvE, has proven it's worth, it's time for SC, to master the space combat style of play/adventurous one, being created by the Grandmaster of the genre, that's why so many people pledged their money too, if it wasn't for Chris Roberts, noone would even care.

Bottomline, EvE has a strong ally coming to boost the genre away from Orcs, and Maidens, to Deep Unknown Space and it's Mysteries. And that is a good thing!

Fully supporting STAR CITIZEN by the Legendary Grandmaster of the Space Game Genre, Chris Roberts.For Captain Eisen's memory.....For Squadron 42...For the Space Genre....For the PC....I pledge!
    Star Citizen
    TOG Star Citizen-Join Us

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    If the game ever gets to beta status then thats when this sort of question even begins to be relevant, as it is, whether the game is even made is uncertain, so im with the zero impact crowd, because worrying about something that may or may not happen in the future is utterly pointless. image
  • ryuga81ryuga81 Member UncommonPosts: 351

Originally posted by veego590
    What do you guys think of the newly announced project of "Star Citizen"? It seems to share many concepts of EVE, except for first person piloting of space ships.

Twitch based FPS means heavily instanced. Heavily instanced means it's nothing like EVE. So no impact at all.

Also, it's fighter-based, so you probably can't pilot anything bigger.

Other games have already failed there (Black Prophecy).

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    None, its not a mmo.

It's like asking how much threat is dragon age 3 to wow.
    I'm still waiting for elite 4 though, which has long being touted as a mmo.
  • OrthelianOrthelian Member UncommonPosts: 1,034

‘lol space planes’ is a markedly different approach to a sci-fi simulator than EVE's. I don't expect that people who want that are in EVE in the first place.

I'm excited to see where Star Citizen goes for other reasons, such as wanting a healthier market for sci-fi games, but that approach to space combat always cracks me up.

Favorites: EQEVE | Playing: None. Mostly VR and strategy | Anticipating: CUPantheon
  • YakamomotoYakamomoto Member Posts: 363
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    None, its not a mmo.

It's like asking how much threat is dragon age 3 to wow.

SC is much more than an MMO, in fact it needs an entirely new classification.

The persistent sandbox is just one aspect. Option private servers and a single player campaign on top of that.

And hey I want to have a jump portal named after my character.. :D

If sc is a mmo then so is minecraft, its exactly the same server / multiplayer setup.
  • morbuskabismorbuskabis Member Posts: 290

Well I liked EVE a lot, but the combat was not my piece of cake. SC is exactly what I'm looking for. And I'm realy optimistic that the traid, mining, exploring and pvp will be exiting. Chris Roberts is some one who knows what hes doing. He has a vision and enough "followers" that he can achive his goals. He got allready $2.5 mio. from pledger.

Think kickstarter projects will shake up the industry. Big publisher who don't want to deal with riski genre will be left out. I belive that SC will be a financial success, same as Project Eternety. So good times ahead for us PC gamers :D

image -Massive-Industries- Heavy Duty

I think it will be a good game, but it won't compete with eve because it isn't a mmo. Roberts has said so himself several times.

Also if you like sci-fi there's two promising other games coming up,

Starbound which looks a bit like a multiplayer space terraria meets a 4x

Maia which is on britstarter, features ex bullfrog guys and has a strong flavour of a sci-fi dwarf fortress.
  • freejackmackfreejackmack Member Posts: 378

When I bought Eve for $5 at a dollar store I thought it was going to be like freelancer. The first time I logged in I was painfully surprised to see that it was a click to move game where there was no real action in the combat. I think that was like 9 years ago.

I have tried very hard to like Eve because I like spaceships but it is done wrong in my opinion in key areas like combat, content and lvling; by wrong I mean it just is not fun. 2-3 hour missions that you can literally fall asleep at and a mining mechanic that has no interesting feature.

You want interesting mining you go to Firefall or the old Jumpgate. Eve was made with dungeon and dragon style combat in mind and I'm not even talking about the new video game D&D online.

IMO Eve is not a real space game; it is a board game on a massive scale in real time. In that it excels; beyond that it falls just short of a good space game that immerses you. You feel like it is an advanced MUD game and really that is Eve in a nutshell. Yes you can mine and do real-time combat but it is farmville in a space back drop with pvp and that's all it will ever be to me.

Eve will never be a space game to me. I remember space invaders and galaxaga where you actually dodged enemy fire; that is what a real space game is about; actually steering your ship, flying your ship through enemy fire like a wasp avoiding raindrops; flying your ship man, that is what makes you forget about the real world and makes you lose your shelf to the vastness of space. With out that all you have is a lame focus fire, number crunching, accounting game.

Star Citizen will give us the ability to play in a persistent universe and fly our ship just like the old days of freelancer. And eventually Roberts said there will be space to own and plunder. Even if Roberts himself does not maintain a sever farm we will have our private server farm; Roberts gave his blessing. So yeah you will see me and the rest of the old school freelancer and privateer pilots leaving Eve in 2 years cause Roberts made his goal of 2,000,000. We made sure of it.
  • ZinzanZinzan Member UncommonPosts: 1,351
    Originally posted by freejackmack

When I bought Eve for $5 at a dollar store I thought it was going to be like freelancer. The first time I logged in I was painfully surprised to see that it was a click to move game where there was no real action in the combat. I think that was like 9 years ago.

I have tried very hard to like Eve because I like spaceships but it is done wrong in my opinion in key areas like combat, content and lvling; by wrong I mean it just is not fun. 2-3 hour missions that you can literally fall asleep at and a mining mechanic that has no interesting feature.

You want interesting mining you go to Firefall or the old Jumpgate. Eve was made with dungeon and dragon style combat in mind and I'm not even talking about the new video game D&D online.

IMO Eve is not a real space game; it is a board game on a massive scale in real time. In that it excels; beyond that it falls just short of a good space game that immerses you. You feel like it is an advanced MUD game and really that is Eve in a nutshell. Yes you can mine and do real-time combat but it is farmville in a space back drop with pvp and that's all it will ever be to me.

Eve will never be a space game to me. I remember space invaders and galaxaga where you actually dodged enemy fire; that is what a real space game is about; actually steering your ship, flying your ship through enemy fire like a wasp avoiding raindrops; flying your ship man, that is what makes you forget about the real world and makes you lose your shelf to the vastness of space. With out that all you have is a lame focus fire, number crunching, accounting game.

Star Citizen will give us the ability to play in a persistent universe and fly our ship just like the old days of freelancer. And eventually Roberts said there will be space to own and plunder. Even if Roberts himself does not maintain a sever farm we will have our private server farm; Roberts gave his blessing. So yeah you will see me and the rest of the old school freelancer and privateer pilots leaving Eve in 2 years cause Roberts made his goal of 2,000,000. We made sure of it.

You clearly hate EvE and desperately want this game to hurt it for this reason and this reason alone. The two games are completely different, the only thing they have in common is the space setting.

Discuss Star Citizen on it's own merits, you are coming across as nothing more than a troll who likes to restate his prejudice over and over.

We can all see your post history.

Expresso gave me a Hearthstone beta key.....I'm so happy :)