Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2 Player Numbers

Comments

• Rider071Rider071 Member Posts: 318

I'm a huge fan of the game, you can easily see that in my post history. That said:

Just transferred to Kaineng server from HoD and wow...there is a huge difference in 'medium' and 'full'

- population is dead, very hard to accomplish DEs and champions are out of the question.

-lag is horrific, comes in spurts, but the game actually freezes for 2-10 seconds at times, never seen this before. according to map chat, it's server-wide.

-When you do find people, they are 50% usually bots. the server is plagued by bots, 10-20+ in areas, all nakid all being controlled by the same users. The names are so obvious 'asdawd', etc.. it's amazing to me it's being allowed. On HoD and JQ there was a very rare chance I saw a single bot once every other day. Any world map area on Kaineng that has a Trader near it has tons of bots running in packs killing anything that moves. Least you can tell the different users as they seem to all make the same race/sex for their bots for themselvs individually (though they are all rangers).

So...is what Kaineng going through the future of this game? If so, it's not a bright one.

Last part of this post,

the OP is right, yes people have been leaving, in droves. reason: WvWvW and the invisiblity bug. entire armies are fighting invisibly now, no one wants to participate. and without pvp at 80 it's either play an alt or go to another game.

So I support this game 100%, but to say it's all flowers and sunny skies, is just not the truth.

Oh, and I do not post on the Guild Wars 2 Forums because I run my internet without cookies (max security enabled), and they want me to knock that down for whatever reasons (none of which are beneficial to me).

Xasapis wrote:

' GW2 player numbers is as relevant as any other F2P player numbers, ie impossible to tell and not really important.  '

It's not a F2P game.

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337
    Originally posted by Rider071
    It's not a F2P game.

No, it's not. But it does share the exact same characteristics the populations of F2P have and thus it's impossible and irrelevant to try and computer player numbers the way you'd do it in a subscription based mmorpg.

Originally posted by Xasapis
    It's not a F2P game.

No, it's not. But it does share the exact same characteristics the populations of F2P have and thus it's impossible and irrelevant to try and computer player numbers the way you'd do it in a subscription based mmorpg.

In what ways is it exactly like a F2P game in characteristics? You have to download it? OK, same as the sub game then.

Otherwise, you have to PAY money to play GW2, like a sub based game. Free to Play games do not require a purchase. Maybe you use the anagram so much, you forget the 'free' in the name.

Sorry OP, last rebuttle on this from me, do not wish to derail.

It's not a F2P game.

In what ways is it exactly like a F2P game in characteristics? You have to download it? OK, same as the sub game then.

Otherwise, you have to PAY money to play GW2, like a sub based game. Free to Play games do not require a purchase. Maybe you use the anagram so much, you forget the 'free' in the name.

You pay subscription to play GW2? That's a new one, you must be the only one in the world doing it.

In a subscription based game the "population" is a tangible number, because they play every month the subscription fee. In F2P games (and GW2) such a subscription is not necessary or relevant. You can basically play today for 5 days, then not pick the game for 2 months, then play for 2 months straight and then never touch the game ever again. How do you compute player numbers?

Simply. You can't. Only way would be if Anet was giving daily activity info (sort of like steam is doing), but that will probably never happen.

• ComanComan Member UncommonPosts: 2,177
    Well yes offcourse the player number (or just the hours played) are going down. I am sure less people play dishonored right now compared to when it got released as well. The Jade Query TS however is still pretty active for the PvP.
  • chryseschryses Member UncommonPosts: 1,453

I thought the pop dropped but really as the developers said, people will spread out over time.  I still see people running around a fair bit on the higher levels but now I am seeing some events where people don't turn up automatically.  However, I spent the last week in Lions arch and it looks like hundreds of people are hanging out there.

I played SWTOR and around the same time it felt depressing!

• ClawzonClawzon Member UncommonPosts: 188

End of discussion if you just link us the server status list folks!  Simple is that!

Really that simple! image

:)

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066
    It's not a F2P game.

You pay subscription to play GW2? That's a new one, you must be the only one in the world doing it.

In a subscription based game the "population" is a tangible number, because they play every month the subscription fee. In F2P games (and GW2) such a subscription is not necessary or relevant. You can basically play today for 5 days, then not pick the game for 2 months, then play for 2 months straight and then never touch the game ever again. How do you compute player numbers?

Simply. You can't. Only way would be if Anet was giving daily activity info (sort of like steam is doing), but that will probably never happen.

So you are saying that $15/month will guarantee players will play all the time?

From reading some threads one would believe $15/month was peanuts but I guess it is a commitement that guarantees continous game play,

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• lilHealalilHeala Member UncommonPosts: 522
    Originally posted by JackFrosty
    Originally posted by Amjoco

Welcome to the MMO with new endgame.

People are leaving because they are bored it is that simple. People are going to give you other silly fanboy explanations, but the simple truth is people are bored wandering around looking for something to do when their is nothing besides 'exploring' etc.

So you just defined every single mmorpg.

Wrong, i just described GW2. Every other mmo has something for you to do besides wandering around like an idiot exploring a map and collecting hearts.

And people are wondering why the games dying off already.

Every other mmo at release just has a handful of dungeons, all lower level content made obsolete instantly and a handful of repeatable static daily quests. Can't say that's more to do than in GW2.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    It's not a F2P game.

most sub mmos do not give their player numbers - its a moot point

try to find press releases for sub#s for Trion, Turbine, SOE and others

• kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759
    Originally posted by lilHeala
    Originally posted by Amjoco

Welcome to the MMO with new endgame.

People are leaving because they are bored it is that simple. People are going to give you other silly fanboy explanations, but the simple truth is people are bored wandering around looking for something to do when their is nothing besides 'exploring' etc.

So you just defined every single mmorpg.

Wrong, i just described GW2. Every other mmo has something for you to do besides wandering around like an idiot exploring a map and collecting hearts.

And people are wondering why the games dying off already.

Every other mmo at release just has a handful of dungeons, all lower level content made obsolete instantly and a handful of repeatable static daily quests. Can't say that's more to do than in GW2.

But lilHeala, didnt you know? Just because someone doesnt like doing a particular thing means that it doesnt exist and there is nothing to do.

Raiding for gear doesnt exist in WoW. Why? Because i dont like it and choose not to do it, therefore it magically stops existing. It doesnt matte rthat millions of others are doing it. Im not, so theyre all liars.

Also Call of Duty doesnt exist. Why? Because I dont like shooting people. Therefore games that consist of running around shooting people dont exist.

Yes. I know how ridiculous both of those sound. Yet its still the logic and mentality that people like Jack use. "I dont like it, so it doesnt exist"

• MahavishnuMahavishnu Member Posts: 336
    Threads like this one make me wounder, if there is one guy working in the Blizzard-office, who does nothing but writing flame-threads, posting bad comments and giving bad ratings for GW2 all day long.

Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate so we can buy shit we don't need.

• AmbrosiaAmorAmbrosiaAmor Member Posts: 915

Everyone I know left for Guild Wars 2. I feel the OP's pain.

I hate that game with every ounce of my quartz.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by AmbrosiaAmor

Everyone i know is still there or planning to join in the future.

I dont see the OP´s problem at all

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

Originally posted by Nadia
    It's not a F2P game.

most sub mmos do not give their player numbers - its a moot point

try to find press releases for sub#s for Trion, Turbine, SOE and others

Actually it's the opposite, with most subscription based mmorpgs, you have a rather good idea how well they stand popularity wise. You know for example that EVE is growing despite so many years that have passed, that SW:TOR is plummeting, that TSW started very low and so on. Thing is, the subscription itself makes the popularity over time tangible and identifiable.

How will you measure the popularity (or compare them) of Allods, Forsaken World, Raiderz etc. and how can you compare them with the subscription based games?

You can't. Subscription based success is based solely on retention. F2P success is based solely on the cash shop. Once you pay the entry fee (or lifetime fee if you like) for GW2, the only thing that matters is the popularity of the cash shop.

That is, if we want to actually measure popularity based in some form in other mmorpgs, P2P or F2P. We can also measure popularity based as a initial sales numbers, ie, move the comparison to the Diablo III leage of games or even Skyrim.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus
    Originally posted by AmbrosiaAmor

Everyone i know is still there or planning to join in the future.

I dont see the OP´s problem at all

I agree. Amazon is still showing GW2 as one of the top PC sales. 

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• nsignificnsignific Member Posts: 212
    Originally posted by FrodoFragins
    This is what can happen when a company tries being innovative.  Before it released, it sounded plausible that people would keep playing even if there wasn't a gear progression treadmill.  That hope may be cracking at this point.  I realized that once my character stops progressing, my drive to play the game takes a dive.  I then look for another game where I can at least level up in.

I feel the same way. That's why I play CoD/BF3 more than CS, even though (in my mind) CS is a far better game. Progression is a pretty revolutionary meta-game, like it or not. Changed a lot in the videogame space.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Continued success of this game will be based on expansion sales, not dumb threads made by obsessed fanatics of other games.
  • NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

F2P success is based solely on the cash shop. Once you pay the entry fee (or lifetime fee if you like) for GW2, the only thing that matters is the popularity of the cash shop.

That is, if we want to actually measure popularity based in some form in other mmorpgs, P2P or F2P. We can also measure popularity based as a initial sales numbers, ie, move the comparison to the Diablo III leage of games or even Skyrim.

I agree w you that its difficult to compare different business models, w the exception of unit sales

ANET has the ability to announce concurrent GW2 players, if they choose to

but that doesnt help unless sub mmos announce concurrent players

(having an active sub does not mean you played the game that month)

b2p relies on more players buying copies - like D3

beyond the cash shop, GW2 will be relying on players buying future expansions (a form of retention)

Originally posted by Caliburn101

Do you beleive people are leaving the game only to stop off here and click 10/10 in the hype-meter as they uninstall the game?

This may come as a shock to you, but an unimaginably larger number of players DON'T frequent mmorpg.com.

Weird, I know, but there you have it.

If you want to gauge a game's success by how it fares on this site, then I've got some charts from a site starting with "X" I'd like you to check out. Same basic thing.

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,606
    Every day there is a Q to get into WvW on my server. High level areas are packed and people are always outside dungeons forming teams.
  • BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,627
    Originally posted by Half_Man_Half_Toon
    Ok Hi All, I dunno what is happening all of the sudden but what i going on With Guild Wars 2 I dont see my Guildmates getting Online Or Even On Vent and also I watch allot of Twitch.Tv  and people are stopingto play Guild Wars 2 Pls tell me why I dont want to have the same feeling Star Wars The Old Republic had on me when it was release it was a bad feeling I dont want to feel like that again. Help!!!!

Jump ship now or hunker down for the longhaul. Thats my advice to you.

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

Originally posted by XasapisIn F2P games (and GW2) such a subscription is not necessary or relevant. You can basically play today for 5 days, then not pick the game for 2 months, then play for 2 months straight and then never touch the game ever again. How do you compute player numbers?

I can play for 5 days, then not pick the game up for 2 months and resub again in any MMO.

Doesn't stop you fanatics to cry over how WoW is dying EVERY YEAR DURING THE SUMMER, haha.

Always laugh my ass of when I see that.

• roo67roo67 Member Posts: 402

In the EU in the evening the majority of the servers are high load with a few medium load servers and no low ones . I can't move for people questing in the open world even at the low levels . My guess is if anything active player numbers are on the rise .

I would take the OPs comments with a pinch of salt .

On a side note I love the buy to play model . I plan to support it by getting the War Z and Planetside 2 . I hope it becomes more common . It seems silly of developers releasing games like ToR which would have been a great buy to play game under a subscription model only to find they have to go free to play within a year or two when it starts to fail .

This discussion has been closed.