Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2 Player Numbers

Comments

• Half_Man_Half_ToonHalf_Man_Half_Toon Member Posts: 156
    Originally posted by Xerith
    I hopped on today at 10am CST in between classes to get some play time in and there was a queue for WvW.... at 10am...servers are still very busy. 

My Guild Got disappointed on WvW ther not very good at it.

• SentimeSentime Member UncommonPosts: 270
    The plane is crashing but it's no problem, all the seats are full.
  • AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Originally posted by thekid1
    Originally posted by Amjoco
    Originally posted by JackFrosty

Welcome to the MMO with new endgame.

People are leaving because they are bored it is that simple. People are going to give you other silly fanboy explanations, but the simple truth is people are bored wandering around looking for something to do when their is nothing besides 'exploring' etc.

So you just defined every single mmorpg.

It is up to the player to make a game a challenge, not just the design team. I have over 300 hours in GW2 and also started MoP last month and have a level 72 Pandaren Monk in WoW. 

I'm not sure why folks don't play a couple games at the same time so things don't get stagnent for them.

As for me, GW2 is the best game to come out since vanilla WoW. There are literally thousands of things to do after you hit level 80.

I'm level 60.. Could you inform ME what there is to do besides running around the landscape doing hearts, events and killing LOTS of creatures? I'm not into pvp and do not see the point in crafting.

I clocked 140 hours in this game which is more then Fallout:NV which I consider the best RPG ever (got bored, never finished the main quest) so I do think it is a good game but I'm bored just killing creatures over and over and over. There are no cool quests like in Fallout, no search for cool loot, no skills to work towards, no real story and changing environment, etc.

Well a lot of people are into pvp and crafting, along with many other features in the game. If you can't find things to do go to another game that has questing, events, lots of creatures to kill, pvp and crafting. /shrug

Sounds like you aren't in to mmorpgs anyway.

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• Half_Man_Half_ToonHalf_Man_Half_Toon Member Posts: 156

People are leaving because they are bored it is that simple. People are going to give you other silly fanboy explanations, but the simple truth is people are bored wandering around looking for something to do when their is nothing besides 'exploring' etc.

It is up to the player to make a game a challenge, not just the design team. I have over 300 hours in GW2 and also started MoP last month and have a level 72 Pandaren Monk in WoW. 

I'm not sure why folks don't play a couple games at the same time so things don't get stagnent for them.

As for me, GW2 is the best game to come out since vanilla WoW. There are literally thousands of things to do after you hit level 80.

I'm level 60.. Could you inform ME what there is to do besides running around the landscape doing hearts, events and killing LOTS of creatures? I'm not into pvp and do not see the point in crafting.

I clocked 140 hours in this game which is more then Fallout:NV which I consider the best RPG ever (got bored, never finished the main quest) so I do think it is a good game but I'm bored just killing creatures over and over and over. There are no cool quests like in Fallout, no search for cool loot, no skills to work towards, no real story and changing environment, etc.

Well a lot of people are into pvp and crafting, along with many other features in the game. If you can't find things to do go to another game that has questing, events, lots of creatures to kill, pvp and crafting. /shrug

I play this real casually and take my time on it, So  I can learn and see what the game offers I dont like rushing it that takes away the fun, when I play MMO's I imaging myself as Something from a Movie or cartoon etc, that keeps me playing my charector and loving it while I play it, I will give you a good example, Assasin Creed, I have a thief and want to play it like that or like Arthas the WoW trailer I want to be that Guy on Guild Wars 2, tell me how you view yourelfs playing a MMO and why you play it? what makes you play it?

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    Originally posted by Sentime
    The plane is crashing but it's no problem, all the seats are full.

The thrill of the journey gives great satisfaction until the end.

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048
    The game population has gone down, yes. Thats just what will happen with any game. A large amount of bots only help to feel as if there are less players around then there really are. Many players are taking part in WvWvW (least it looked like it for me) and a few wander around higher level zones though I see not as many there (bots more often then not). Over-all people still play, but yes, the numbers are much less then at launch. Its a trend that all MMos follow and in some part you can blame the hype for having a larger effect on population then anything else. Its not a bad game but its no where close to what the hype levels raised it to.
  • MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988

It's B2Play

There is no way to track players except by sales.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Originally posted by Half_Man_Half_Toon

I play this real casually and take my time on it, So  I can learn and see what the game offers I dont like rushing it that takes away the fun, when I play MMO's I imaging myself as Something from a Movie or cartoon etc, that keeps me playing my charector and loving it while I play it, I will give you a good example, Assasin Creed, I have a thief and want to play it like that or like Arthas the WoW trailer I want to be that Guy on Guild Wars 2, tell me how you view yourelfs playing a MMO and why you play it? what makes you play it?

Ya, folks have lost the spirit of mmorpgs and are in it just to rush to the end. Or, in GW2s case, they aren't doing as you do and use some imagination.

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• SirFubarSirFubar Member Posts: 397

LOL those people are the ones who jump on every new MMO released and they play non stop, get to the end game in no time then cry about the game lacks of content or things to do. If you get bored out of an MMO so quickly, its because you are bored of the genre, not the game in particular. Good try tho. People like this are a plague to the genre and I just wished they would stop being such idiots for playing games that were obviously going to bored them in no time.

• SirFubarSirFubar Member Posts: 397

Sorry but from what you said, you clearly bought a game that wasn't made for you. The biggest part of GW2 is the PvP, if you don't even play it then you leave behing the most fun and challenging part of them game, IMO. If you bought GW2 with the intention of playing only PvE without being bored quickly, you made the wrong decision. Sure its pretty fun at 1st because its a new game with some new mechanics and a "new" way of questing, but it becomes boring as quickly as any other MMO.

• prpshrtprpshrt Member Posts: 258
    People are most likely taking a break. I know I am. I feel like most MMOs are like that. GW2 doesn't run on subs so there won't be a plummet in the population. It'll probably spike back up the second the rest of the areas in the map are opened for gameplay. You could transfer to a high population server. I think they're still free.
  • kluukluu Member UncommonPosts: 46

Dont worry, you're not the only one

• tazarconantazarconan Member Posts: 1,013

This fella said it all

• FelixMajorFelixMajor Member RarePosts: 865
    Ok Hi All, I dunno what is happening all of the sudden but what i going on With Guild Wars 2 I dont see my Guildmates getting Online Or Even On Vent and also I watch allot of Twitch.Tv  and people are stopingto play Guild Wars 2 Pls tell me why I dont want to have the same feeling Star Wars The Old Republic had on me when it was release it was a bad feeling I dont want to feel like that again. Help!!!!

This post makes me think of gold spammers in games.  I wouldn't doubt that this guy is paid to go to forums and post things like this.

Originally posted by Arskaaa
    "when players learned tacticks in dungeon/raids, its bread".

• FelixMajorFelixMajor Member RarePosts: 865
    Originally posted by SirFubar

LOL those people are the ones who jump on every new MMO released and they play non stop, get to the end game in no time then cry about the game lacks of content or things to do. If you get bored out of an MMO so quickly, its because you are bored of the genre, not the game in particular. Good try tho. People like this are a plague to the genre and I just wished they would stop being such idiots for playing games that were obviously going to bored them in no time.

I agree, you get casuals and people who never really understood rpgs from the beginning.  'RPG' no longer exists in mmoRPGS, and the 'MM' is definitely starting to diminish as well as people demand more easily accessible, casual, soloable content in these game types.  It bothers me, because the great ideas out there are far and few in between because developers are trying to appease AS MUCH of the population as they can with their games to maximize sales and profits, when in the long run it would be more worth it to target a single group, or style of gamers and appease the hell out of them.

Originally posted by Arskaaa
    "when players learned tacticks in dungeon/raids, its bread".

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,897
    This is what can happen when a company tries being innovative.  Before it released, it sounded plausible that people would keep playing even if there wasn't a gear progression treadmill.  That hope may be cracking at this point.  I realized that once my character stops progressing, my drive to play the game takes a dive.  I then look for another game where I can at least level up in.
  • JackFrostyJackFrosty Member Posts: 103

Wrong, i just described GW2. Every other mmo has something for you to do besides wandering around like an idiot exploring a map and collecting hearts.

And people are wondering why the games dying off already.

When I wake up, the real nightmare begins

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870

Wrong, i just described GW2. Every other mmo has something for you to do besides wandering around like an idiot exploring a map and collecting hearts.

And people are wondering why the games dying off already.

So according to you I'm playing my endgame wrong by doing WvW instead of "wandering around like an idiot"?  Apparently WvW is an illusion and I'm actually just aimlessly wandering around a map killing mobs that have server names with the suffix of "invader" attached to them.  That is some good AI for those mobs.  I guess I'm not actually on TS either and those are just voices in my head trying to coordinate my aimless wondering,...weird.  It's also weird that during my wandering I'm able to take over keeps and towers, upgrade them and defend them with other players who are also wondering around like idiots. 

Maybe I should switch to game to where I can pve for some gear, so I can pve for some gear, so I can pve for some gear.  That sounds like such a non-idiotic way to play an endgame.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

Still going strong with over 300 hours played, and many guildies from the headstart are still there..

Sure people play l+ess hours a day then at release, but most of them still play.   And there are still a lot of new players joining the boat.  They must have sold 3 million copies by now, and i expect them to sell a lot more during the holiday season.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• NaralNaral Member UncommonPosts: 748

I don't know, the drop off in my experience "feels" the same as it did in SWTOR. My guild has gone from 30+ people all online to 1 or 2. And I am not talking about people just not representing the guild I am in, but totally off line. Many of them hit 80, (though not all) and just kinda quit coming back.

Speaking to many of them, they just logged in less and less, then not at all. I know different people have different experiences, and I am still having fun with the game, but it does not feel like it retains people very well at all, in my experience. Yes, there are tons of people still in game, no problem with DEs etc, but my friends list and guild roster have definitely tanked, *exactly* like it did in SWTOR.

• HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030
    Originally posted by Carnafex
    Also a quick look on Amazon found GW2 6th in overall PC games, and 1st in MMOs.  More importantly, DEs have plenty of people in them, regardless of zone, and even the most obscure jumping puzzle of vista have people running through them.  If you are looking for a dying game - look elsewhere.

That's one thing I love about the design of GW2 zones and how it disperses players throughout them.  I journey to what I think is the most obscure location in the middle of absolutely nowhere, I discover something amazing (because very nook and cranny is Tryia's massive zones are jam packed with unique stuff) and feel awesome about it as if I uncovered a secret that surely nobody else has, and I then inevitably bump into a few other players.  The game manages to create the best of both worlds in this regard: i manages to feel extremely populated even in remote locations while also still creating the sensation that you are discovering a unique, secluded area.  

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337
    Originally posted by Homitu
    Also a quick look on Amazon found GW2 6th in overall PC games, and 1st in MMOs.  More importantly, DEs have plenty of people in them, regardless of zone, and even the most obscure jumping puzzle of vista have people running through them.  If you are looking for a dying game - look elsewhere.

That's one thing I love about the design of GW2 zones and how it disperses players throughout them.  I journey to what I think is the most obscure location in the middle of absolutely nowhere, I discover something amazing (because very nook and cranny is Tryia's massive zones are jam packed with unique stuff) and feel awesome about it as if I uncovered a secret that surely nobody else has, and I then inevitably bump into a few other players.  The game manages to create the best of both worlds in this regard: i manages to feel extremely populated even in remote locations while also still creating the sensation that you are discovering a unique, secluded area.  

Don't you think it's pretty obvious that they follow the tourist guide, aka POI system, the same way you do?

• HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030
    Originally posted by Xasapis
    Originally posted by Homitu

Don't you think it's pretty obvious that they follow the tourist guide, aka POI system, the same way you do?

Um yes, that would be the design I spoke of.  

• Caliburn101Caliburn101 Member Posts: 636
    Ok Hi All, I dunno what is happening all of the sudden but what i going on With Guild Wars 2 I dont see my Guildmates getting Online Or Even On Vent and also I watch allot of Twitch.Tv  and people are stopingto play Guild Wars 2 Pls tell me why I dont want to have the same feeling Star Wars The Old Republic had on me when it was release it was a bad feeling I dont want to feel like that again. Help!!!!

'people are stopping to play Guild Wars 2 Pls tell me why....'

No they aren't - no explanation is necessary. If you have facts to the contrary you should post them in support of what you are saying.

... and do try to avoid the trap of quoting Xfire - whose gameplay graphs nearly always show the same thing for new releases for any game.

Forgive me for saying so, but to aid your posts being useful to you in the future I would suggest the following;

Present some facts supporting what you are saying and consider the likley reaction of people to a post of your profile. Most people consider an Apprentice Member of these forums starting a thread with nothing more than brief throwaway complaints with no clear basis and generally negative in tone to be 'Trolling'.

As for your stated experience - my Guild is recruiting and as an EU Guild there are people online about 16 hours of the day - with things falling off only after 11pm CET. Our server Seafarers Rest is always busy, and it never takes me more than 10 minutes to get PUGs for any dungeon. DE's are always well 'subscribed' and bots, though present and fairly few in number.

Moreover, the hype score for GW2 has risen by 0.4 points to 9.3 since release on these forums - where a significant proportion of threads tend to be extremely negative.

Do you beleive people are leaving the game only to stop off here and click 10/10 in the hype-meter as they uninstall the game?

I suggest you confine yourself to making comments about your personal experience instead of jumping on the last carriage of the 'troll-train' (however unwittingly) loaded up with passengers who think their narrow view of their own minute to minute experience is representative of the state of the game worldwide.

I think you will conclude after reflecting on this, that you might look like foolish maintaining such a position.

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337
    GW2 player numbers is as relevant as any other F2P player numbers, ie impossible to tell and not really important.
This discussion has been closed.