Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Secret World: New Updates coming! Reticle Combat and more!

Comments

• fallenlordsfallenlords Member UncommonPosts: 683
    Originally posted by Maelwydd

His investigation missions are far from grind focused. I think you are just being negative for the sake of it. Kind of a growing trend in online gaming recently sadly.

Considering he has just taken over as Game Director and only just published an open letter to the TSW community.  I think it's early days to call the direction he is going to take TSW overall. But he wants to make it more commercial, more commercial in what way?  To a Western audience or an Eastern audience.

Rise of the Godslayer was done with one thing in mind to give AOC an air of Eastern appeal.   They took two lines from a Robert E Howard story and built and entire expansion around it just to appeal to the Koreans and the Eastern market.  

This same man is now in charge of TSW.  So he is going to make TSW more commercial in what way? Hunch, turn it into a grind fest go free to play and launch it in Korea.  In other words follow the same trend as AOC.

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965
    Originally posted by fallenlords

His investigation missions are far from grind focused. I think you are just being negative for the sake of it. Kind of a growing trend in online gaming recently sadly.

Considering he has just taken over as Game Director and only just published an open letter to the TSW community.  I think it's early days to call the direction he is going to take TSW overall. But he wants to make it more commercial, more commercial in what way?  To a Western audience or an Eastern audience.

Rise of the Godslayer was done with one thing in mind to give AOC an air of Eastern appeal.   They took two lines from a Robert E Howard story and built and entire expansion around it just to appeal to the Koreans and the Eastern market.  

This same man is now in charge of TSW.  So he is going to make TSW more commercial in what way? Hunch, turn it into a grind fest go free to play and launch it in Korea.  In other words follow the same trend as AOC.

Rise of the Godslayer was a great expansion. It had nothing to do with appealing to eastern audience. There were plenty of people here in the west who loved it!  You might not liked the expansion, but plenty of other people did.

I liked it, so do I actually like the new Pandaria zones. I am a western guy with no traces of Asian herritage in my blood nd yet I like the Ancient Asian culture settings, like the old Japanese samurai's, ancient chinese and korean cultures and architecture, etc.

It's very narrowminded of you to think like that. As for example, the Japanese people are obsessed with Western culture. Same with many Koreans. So go figure.

So grow up man! and stop being so narrowminded.

• MaelwyddMaelwydd Member Posts: 1,123

You are totally right, it is too early to state how things will play out.

Which just shows how completely biased you were in the post I commented on.

Just stop posting crap and go play the game you like or at least stop outright lying because of hurt feelings.

• fallenlordsfallenlords Member UncommonPosts: 683
    Originally posted by JeroKane

Rise of the Godslayer was a great expansion. It had nothing to do with appealing to eastern audience. There were plenty of people here in the west who loved it!  You might not liked the expansion, but plenty of other people did.

I liked it, so do I actually like the new Pandaria zones. I am a western guy with no traces of Asian herritage in my blood nd yet I like the Ancient Asian culture settings, like the old Japanese samurai's, ancient chinese and korean cultures and architecture, etc.

It's very narrowminded of you to think like that. As for example, the Japanese people are obsessed with Western culture. Same with many Koreans. So go figure.

No it wasn't a great expansion at all, for a start it introduced a memory leak to the 32bit client.  Then on top of which it was a constant grind for faction/tokens etc.   Hardly any true Age of Conan fan wanted the expansion to be set in Khitai, they would have sooner had other areas  in Hyboria open up to them.  They accepted it because they had no choice and something was better than nothing.

The whole underlying tone of that expansion was to provide an Eastern flavor, introducing Eastern looking toons etc.   That actually didn't sit too well at all with any die hard Conan fan, riding tigers and wolves for gods sake totally.   A total Eastern feel to the whole thing ready for it to go to Korea free to play.  Screw the people that had being paying a sub for x number of years.   Don't consider them at all or what they want.  Which at the time a very long list ... everything from more inventory storage to player housing to more PVP etc etc. Then launch in Korea free to play while still charging your Western fans a sub, great.

That expansion was nothing more than a strategic marketing decision. It isn't about being narrow minded at all, if anything it about being cynical.   Looking for the underlying reasons why a company does something.  Like appoint Joel as Game Director of TSW.  You see nothing in that, I see a pattern.  Time will tell who is right or wrong.  But TSW hasn't launched in South Korea as far as I know, in fact I think it's being actively blocked.   Look who is here ... it's Joel ... probably means nothing at all.

• apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    Originally posted by MindTrigger

I said it before several times,  ..and totally felt the need to say it again  lol    Thumbs up..update sound great

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"

Fallenlords you sound so butthurt about AOC it is no suprise you are unable to view TSW without any bias.

I suggest you stop posting, you are likely to give yourself a heart attack if you don't. Oh and you might stop making yourself sound like a prat.

Yes I am sorry, I shouldn't judge a company by past mistakes.   People and even companies can change, as has been proven by recent events at Funcom.  They have learned from past mistakes and don't appear to be repeating anything that has gone before.  Trond Aas certainly had faith in the amazing changes at Funcom.

Trond Aas is litterly an Aas lol. He just wanted a quick cashgrab exit to quickly fill up his bank account for personal gain. Not to mention he is just utterly stupid.

If he wasn't discovered and stopped he would have ruined the entire company overnight.

And for that he can now explain himself in court.

It's actually a good thing that he no longer CEO. Just like it was a good thing for Gaute G. to leave the company after AoC's launch.

Funcom needed new management badly.  Just like SOE really needs to get rid of John Smedly. Been saying that one for years.

Both Funcom and SOE have amazing talent inhouse, amazing people making amazing games. Both just suffer from bad management.

But at this moment the whole Game industry is just sick and suffers from Greedy capitalism, strangled by Stakeholders.

The Kickstarter project was born for this very reason. So developers can get away from stakeholders that have paralized the game industry.

• shadow9d9shadow9d9 Member UncommonPosts: 374
    Doesn't fix the primary problem of the game.  The game was designed with a TINY amount of content that ends with a dungeon grind.  Now anytime they add content they have to add voice over, which is a huge waste of time and money, and they have not changed the dungeon grind.  No thanks.  Flawed concept.
    Originally posted by shadow9d9
    Doesn't fix the primary problem of the game.  The game was designed with a TINY amount of content that ends with a dungeon grind.  Now anytime they add content they have to add voice over, which is a huge waste of time and money, and they have not changed the dungeon grind.  No thanks.  Flawed concept.

TINY amount of content? Sure if you just rushed from zone to zone and only do quests from the main towns youre happen to run into.

Each zone is litterly filled with hidden missions. This game actually rewards you for exploring every inch of the map.

I wonder, for example, how many people bothered going to the Light Tower in Savage Coast. Several missions there plus various missions hidden in the surrounding area there.

Or the Theme Park in the same zone. Quite a few hidden missions to be found there as well.

But yeah... if you are so conditioned by Quest hub games the last couple years and treat TSW the same way you gonna miss out a ton of content readily available in the game. /shrug

• halflife25halflife25 Member Posts: 737

People waiting for a a game or company to die really scare me for some reason. I mean yes you dislike a game and you want it to improve. Maybe you like to focus more on bad parts so that more people know about it but what is with this obsession with companies like FC, EA where every waking hour you just want them to die and go out of business?

• karmathkarmath Member UncommonPosts: 904
    I dont know why people still rag on about hurr failcom. TSW, while not everyones cup of earl grey is a great game that acheived what it set out to be. 
  • Bilko101Bilko101 Member Posts: 11
    I bought this game and couldn't even finish the free time play. The horrible, amatuerish interface just killed it for me. If you cant release a game with an interface like SWTOR or Warhammer Online, then dont bother.
  • AmanaAmana Moderator UncommonPosts: 3,912
    Guys, please don't derail the thread. And remember that personal callouts intended toward other posters is not acceptable. Thanks.

To give feedback on moderation, contact [email protected]

• YakamomotoYakamomoto Member Posts: 363

Rise of the Godslayers is a freakin' awesome expansion, AoC reached the real scope of the game with it. Don't know what the gibberish about easternization is supposed to mean.

• Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361
    Originally posted by shadow9d9

you are right with voice acting & cut scenes but mistake with content

I am back in lower zones if  factional  or cabal mates asking for company ,most times  I find missed missions on fields this game had content just need to find it.

For future I hope  funcom is  not  going to ruined game listening baby cry  or   arcade/ action shooters players ,I hope it ll stay  MMORPG with old school mmorpg concept.If they cant resist news should to be optional.I dont care for reticle combat & more...

• jayfeeler69jayfeeler69 Member Posts: 94
    Yes reticule combat will be the savior of this game. Millions will now play now because they are attempting a combat upgrade. Forget the fact that it is a story based mmo that has zero replayabilty. Really if they want to save the game start by making the different factions actually different. that means different quests not just different outfits. As of right now there is no reason to roll an alt as all the story is essentially the same (same problem TOR was blasted for but the defenders refuse to acknowledge)
  • MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596
    Originally posted by bcbully
    Originally posted by Kuppa
    Originally posted by bcbully
    Originally posted by tank017
    Originally posted by Nitth

- Revised Animations: "We know this was one of the major complaints both in the beta and after release, and we are looking at how we can make player animations feel more fluid and natural. This entails implementing an entirely new animation backend for the Dreamworld engine, which will allow us to make improvement in both ‘The Secret World’ and future Dreamworld projects."

I don't believe this is every going to happen, they are to far in the red to invest more.

Then why would they bother saying it? It wouldn't be in their best interests to throw around lies

Aaaand you don't know if they are in the red. They said that develpoment cost were greatly reduced to already having the most graphically advanced mmo game engine on the market. 

We don't but we do know that they had to temorarily fire everyone and permanently let go of others and that their stock is tanking and that they basically said the game didn't meet expectations. Reworking their animations is probably not very probable any time soon. Its there just to keep your hopes up but probably very low in their backlog.

And, Im not sure how having the "most graphically advanced mmo engine" will fill that huge gap.

Yeah putting people on furlough (still paying, but not as much) sucks. Good to see they brought a few people back though. 

No it didn't sell as much as the wild june predictions, but those gamers who have played rate it higher than GW2 on sites like metacritic. 

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/guild-wars-2 82

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/the-secret-world 83

Well, what having that great engine does is put the game ahead of the curve. They wont need to update graphics for the foreseeable future. This gives them plenty of time to fill in the gaps. If they are able to add content and develop with 200k or less subs, they should be able to keep building for quite awhile.

Even with just 100k subs they still rake in 1,5 million dollars per month in subs revenue alone. That's without revenue coming in via the cash shop.

You can pay quite a few people's salaries for that.

Just look at WoW. Over 10 million subs and you get what?  A "real" update once every 4-5 months and an expac once every two years!

Most of that cash coming in from WoW subscribers goes straight to Activision Management and their stake holders pockets, laughing their asses off within their huge Vila's, car parks... partying all year long on white beaches far away. LOL!

Huge sub numbers doesn't mean crap. People think that when you got 1 million or 10 million subs, the devs start throwing more free updates to you and cheap expacs every 6 months.

SOE has shown us that with a 250k-350k subs game (EQ1, EQ2) they managed to push out large game updates every 3 months and full blown expacs every single year!   Or what about TRION with their RIFT game?  Just saying!

And so far. Funcom is doing a hell of a job with TSW.

The problem is that while the game is good, to a point, you hit a wall because they couldn't be arsed to make the game more open world and hybrid as it should have been.  They took away world faction PvP, and they cranked out a pure themepark that is good for about 60 days, unless you want to repeat dungeon runs ad nauseum until you get gear you don't even really need for higher level content that doesn't exist.

I've been a fan of this game since it was first mentioned years ago, and it is well built, but lacking in any gameplay motivation to stick around. The current game and content updates are not worth the sub fee, in my opinion.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381
    Recticle combat: my top no-no to buy any game, particularly mmo.
  • DraronDraron Member Posts: 993
    Originally posted by halflife25
    Originally posted by Zylaxx

Amen.  The reason why TSW Failed wasnt because of the combat it was because of the gear progression endgame made absolutely ZERO sense in a game that could of been so much more.

Well maybe for you it did. Is it me or people love calling every single MMO on these forums a failure?

It's a trend on these forums. 

• RandaynRandayn Member UncommonPosts: 904
    Originally posted by Thenextbigthing
    Originally posted by Mechanism
    From a purely practical perspective why would someone want to use reticle combat and risk added inaccuracy when they've already got what amounts to an aimbot?

In fact why even bother with a reticle in an mmorpg? If I want reticle combat i'll go play an FPS. Personally I'd like to see less combat focus and more investigation focus.

Amen.  The reason why TSW Failed wasnt because of the combat it was because of the gear progression endgame made absolutely ZERO sense in a game that could of been so much more.

says the dude currently playing a game that has ZERO end-game content

• Pale_FirePale_Fire Member UncommonPosts: 360
    Originally posted by Randayn
    Originally posted by Thenextbigthing
    Originally posted by Mechanism
    From a purely practical perspective why would someone want to use reticle combat and risk added inaccuracy when they've already got what amounts to an aimbot?

In fact why even bother with a reticle in an mmorpg? If I want reticle combat i'll go play an FPS. Personally I'd like to see less combat focus and more investigation focus.

says the dude currently playing a game that has ZERO end-game content that I like and deem worthy of all other MMORPGS players.

Fixed that for you.  You're welcome.

• gamesrfungamesrfun Member Posts: 127
    Originally posted by Pale_Fire

- Revised Animations: "We know this was one of the major complaints both in the beta and after release, and we are looking at how we can make player animations feel more fluid and natural. This entails implementing an entirely new animation backend for the Dreamworld engine, which will allow us to make improvement in both ‘The Secret World’ and future Dreamworld projects."

I don't believe this is every going to happen, they are to far in the red to invest more.

They've recently announced TSW is in the black, actually.  Sorry to burst your bubble on that.

Who said they were back in the black?  No one from their Board of Directors...the ones who can get sued if they lie.  

This game is not in the black.  The company is not even close to being in the black.  The company is just eating up its remaining cash at a slower rate, extending the misery until someone buys it out or it goes bankrupt.  On November 16, 2012 you will get a good picture of what red ink looks like.  The first quarter that AoC was released they made around 15 million dollars in profit from game sales.  From the sounds of it, they will be lucky to break even and they will be back to subscriptions to support the company.  Every quarter that Funcom has relied on subscriptions it has lost money.  Period.

They demoted the game director.  Just like in any other business or sport, you don't get a demotion unless people are not happy with you.  

Funcom is now a penny stock.  Since launch of the Secret World the company has lost 85% of its value.  From the highs of the release of AoC, the company has lost 96% of its value.  

• BronqBronq Member Posts: 5

Hi,

As a regular reader and till now, unregistred, I'm very surprised and saddened to read all the negative comments and this specific type of almost sardonic abhorrence, for apparantly without reason, about this game. It's low-life and depressing. My condolences - you truly must live terrible lives. The level of maturity is incredulously low - yet a quick peek at your profiles, reveals that the majority of you are - believe it or not - adults. 

Thanks, all the best.

• DraronDraron Member Posts: 993
    The livestream didn't dissapoint. Can safely say TSW is getting a lifetime buy from me. GJ on MMORPG.com's part for hosting it and to the devs for being so open.
  • Pale_FirePale_Fire Member UncommonPosts: 360
    Originally posted by gamesrfun
    Originally posted by Pale_Fire

They've recently announced TSW is in the black, actually.  Sorry to burst your bubble on that.

Who said they were back in the black?  No one from their Board of Directors...the ones who can get sued if they lie.  

This game is not in the black.  The company is not even close to being in the black.  The company is just eating up its remaining cash at a slower rate, extending the misery until someone buys it out or it goes bankrupt.  On November 16, 2012 you will get a good picture of what red ink looks like.  The first quarter that AoC was released they made around 15 million dollars in profit from game sales.  From the sounds of it, they will be lucky to break even and they will be back to subscriptions to support the company.  Every quarter that Funcom has relied on subscriptions it has lost money.  Period.

They demoted the game director.  Just like in any other business or sport, you don't get a demotion unless people are not happy with you.  

Funcom is now a penny stock.  Since launch of the Secret World the company has lost 85% of its value.  From the highs of the release of AoC, the company has lost 96% of its value.  

When I say in the black, I mean it is currently not losing money.  I do not mean that they have recouped development costs.  And you're right, if someone from FC lies, there is big trouble.  Below is the quote stating that they are currently profitable.  Now, you can call them liars, but the burden of proof is on you now, not them. 

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-10-02-the-secret-world-post-mortem-no-its-not-going-free-to-play-any-time-soon

"For one, Ellingsen said The Secret World was now profitable. I doubt that means Funcom has recouped development costs, but it probably does mean the game is paying for itself to run, because Funcom downscaled development to suit its income."