Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Worth playing again? A few questions.

LionexxLionexx Member UncommonPosts: 680

Well i am looking to play again,

but i am unsure of a few thing's maybe someone can answer my questions?

1. If the last 2 expansions(Destiny of Velious and Age of Discovery) are worth it?

2. If the game is even populated anymore? and how populated honestly?

3. I am on the Nagafen server but i would want to raid, is the pvp server okay with this? If not are the PvE servers more populated and which one?

4. If i came back i would want to play either play my Shadowknight or Necro, Which one is a lot more fun end game?

5. Is the population in a decline? up turn? What would you say?

... That is all that i can think of right now.

Thanks!

Playing: Everthing
Played: DAoC,AC2,EvE,SWG,WAR,MXO,CoX,EQ2,L2,LOTRO,SB,UO,WoW.
I have played every MMO that has ever come out.

Comments

• AeolronAeolron Member Posts: 648
    Originally posted by lionexx

1. If the last 2 expansions(Destiny of Velious and Age of Discovery) are worth it?

3. I am on the Nagafen server but i would want to raid, is the pvp server okay with this? If not are the PvE servers more populated and which one?

4. If i came back i would want to play either play my Shadowknight or Necro, Which one is a lot more fun end game?

Thanks!

Considering that the game is 8 years old and it was never properly optimized and it shows, even with a 8150 chip GTX 580 13 gigs of ram I have to run this game on low to medium which makes no sense , while I can run GW 2 on ultra and get 100 FPS instead in EQ 2 I get 20-30 , the game is decent with it's fair share of bugs , end game is similar to WoW but it is fun to craft your own dungeons ect.

Population doesn't seem to be much of a issue , not like rift atm. For your number 4 question either or , but just keep in mind , that EQ is not entirely about end game it's about the journey , pick one you want to play simple as that, PvP server is pretty decent howeve the PvE ones have a better population , and Age of discovery to me was worth it because of the beast lord class and the mercs you could hire , hope that helps ya out.

• AeolronAeolron Member Posts: 648
    Originally posted by Aeolron

Thanks!

Considering that the game is 8 years old and it was never properly optimized and it shows, even with a 8150 chip GTX 580 13 gigs of ram I have to run this game on low to medium which makes no sense , while I can run GW 2 on ultra and get 100 FPS instead in EQ 2 I get 20-30 , the game is decent with it's fair share of bugs , end game is similar to WoW but it is fun to craft your own dungeons ect.

Population doesn't seem to be much of a issue , not like rift atm. For your number 4 question either or , but just keep in mind , that EQ is not entirely about end game it's about the journey , pick one you want to play simple as that, PvP server is pretty decent howeve the PvE ones have a better population , and Age of discovery to me was worth it because of the beast lord class and the mercs you could hire , hope that helps ya out.

Oh almost forgot to mention , Destiny isn't woth it till your level 86! and if I were you I would subscibe, however , play it for free alittle bit and see about the game being optimized properly, for myself a 8 year old game better run flawlessly or I am not interested at all.

• LukainLukain Member UncommonPosts: 591

A: Simple answer is Yes " But if you come Back as a FTP member its frustration

A: Somewhat , its tough to find groups unless your in a guild .. but then again with Mercs you really don't need groups for anything but Raiding , I can solo even & below level dungeons with just me & my Merc - thats with the new Mastercrafted gear

A : Can't help you here I am on Crushbone ..

A: Necro's & SK both rock  but if you wan't a fun ride play a Beastlord  & if you can bear the gring level a trade before adventure ..  its so much fun being able to fly as a lvl 20 adv Beastlord - onle u hit 85 in any trade you can use flying mounts  for adventuring..

A: Since it went FTP it has increased

Thanks!

• LionexxLionexx Member UncommonPosts: 680

Thanks!

It dose help of course, Keep in mind i will not be starting fresh; both my SK and Necro are 52 and 51;

The bug's are fine with me(common when it comes to MMOs IMO) I personally have never ran into any bad framerate or problem's with the game Performance wise, When i did play year's ago that is.

You menitoned the end game is similar to WoW? I have an issuse with that being WoW end game content is not unique or "Fun" Anymore it's rehashed content and button mashing not fun like good ole MC, BWL Etc. No skill or thought just mob the boss move to the next box. Is it really like that in EQ2(At least now???) More details on raidign would be Fantastic.

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521

/snip

Oh almost forgot to mention , Destiny isn't woth it till your level 86! and if I were you I would subscibe, however , play it for free alittle bit and see about the game being optimized properly, for myself a 8 year old game better run flawlessly or I am not interested at all.

I would definitly try a game beforehand and luckily anyone can with EQ2 being F2P.  Just be warned if your toons have legendary or above gear it will be unequiped.

Until EQ2 gets a 64 bit client the performance will not improve to what you'd expect on a newer machine.  It's a 32 bit client which means it cannot benefit from more than 2G of ram.  The engine was built with the idea that CPU cores would get bigger, not segment into multiple cores.  Plus, there are additional features in the game, built into the engine, like wind direction that you can't turn off.

Over the years SoE has implemented features such as GPU shadows and dualcore support to make it better but if you ever see how smooth it is in a closed building you yearn for more.  I hope, greatly, that until EQN comes out (if it's the game I think it will be) they will release a 64 bit client and remove the performace fog.  I'm also frustrated with the performance but in most cases if you play with the settings (make sure to click "advanced" at the upper right of the window) you can adjust for an improvement.  The lowest I go is 15-20 in cities when passing by a lot of goings on and I built my computer in '08 and have only updated the graphics card.

I would check out this area of the official forums.  Deadcrickets2 helps a lot of people and seems to post almost daily.  In fact check this article out:

http://forums.station.sony.com/eq2/posts/list.m?topic_id=506883

It's about setting your system to use another gig of virtual memory for 32 bit programs, for a total of 3g.  I read it wrong the first time and just looking now I'm going to try the 4GT setting and see if it helps, I'll update later this evening.

Originally posted by Aelious

/snip

I would definitly try a game beforehand and luckily anyone can with EQ2 being F2P.  Just be warned if your toons have legendary or above gear it will be unequiped.

Until EQ2 gets a 64 bit client the performance will not improve to what you'd expect on a newer machine.  It's a 32 bit client which means it cannot benefit from more than 2G of ram.  The engine was built with the idea that CPU cores would get bigger, not segment into multiple cores.  Plus, there are additional features in the game, built into the engine, like wind direction that you can't turn off.

Over the years SoE has implemented features such as GPU shadows and dualcore support to make it better but if you ever see how smooth it is in a closed building you yearn for more.  I hope, greatly, that until EQN comes out (if it's the game I think it will be) they will release a 64 bit client and remove the performace fog.  I'm also frustrated with the performance but in most cases if you play with the settings (make sure to click "advanced" at the upper right of the window) you can adjust for an improvement.  The lowest I go is 15-20 in cities when passing by a lot of goings on and I built my computer in '08 and have only updated the graphics card.

I would check out this area of the official forums.  Deadcrickets2 helps a lot of people and seems to post almost daily.  In fact check this article out:

http://forums.station.sony.com/eq2/posts/list.m?topic_id=506883

It's about setting your system to use another gig of virtual memory for 32 bit programs, for a total of 3g.  I read it wrong the first time and just looking now I'm going to try the 4GT setting and see if it helps, I'll update later this evening.

Thanks!

and thanks all who answered i resubbed. Most likly going to play my Shadowknight unsure if i should stay on Nagafen or move to a more populated server.

• YizleYizle Member Posts: 517

AoD is definately worth it for the merc and the BL is a lot of fun. DoV is definately useful past lvl 85.

I am on Guk and it seems very populated at most hours. The guild I am in raids 2 nights a week and sometimes a 3rd.

Not sure about the pvp server as I love pvp but EQ 2 pvp is horrid. I do it some just to break the tedium of quests.

Actually I just came back about 2 mos ago and those are my main 2 chars. I enjoy them both. If you get the AoD xpac use a SK merc for your necro and an Inquis merc for your SK.

Not sure as I just came back a couple months ago.

I would also say due the F2P for a bit then decide but if you do choose to play you definitely want to subscribe because the F2P has way too many restrictions(gear being a huge one).

I would also say I am enjoying my time back in the game. Find a guild with some people you like. A lot of guilds recruiting at least on Guk and most people in gen 1-9 chat are helpful.

Thanks!

/snip

Thanks!

and thanks all who answered i resubbed. Most likly going to play my Shadowknight unsure if i should stay on Nagafen or move to a more populated server.

A reasonable way to check pop is to select the community option from the main menu and search for players by level range.  I say reasonable because I'm not sure if there are ways a player can exclude themselves from the search thus making it less accurate.  Make sure to select "all zones" in the pulldown when searching since by default it's set to "this zone only" lol.  This method is also helpful for finding the population of a guild.  If you select guild from the main menu (which is really well done IMO) the top guild shown has the most players on I believe.  Go back to the player search and enter the name of the guild under name (which you would think was just for character names) and see the results.  Note that each word is a seperate factor so "Knights of Fire" would also net "Knights" of any other guilds name.  You'd have to look at the specific results in your chat which will list each result found individually.

Freeport and AB have the most players I believe but for your playtime who knows.  You may have great luck with Naggy.  Have fun!

So the 4GT tweak didn't seem to do too much though it seems to have transitioned the jerky portion of the FPS drop. I'm using the Capitol district of Qeynos as a test site becuse there is an area around the Claymore monument that really dips FPS. I'm playing around with some other settings and I'll report back with anything significant.
    Thanks who have all replyed :)