Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMORPG Opportunity to get to Play Something Special

2»

Comments

• WereLlamaWereLlama Member UncommonPosts: 246

I respect the CoS's team's efforts to create something new, but I have the following suggestions:

1. Fire the Animator.  The walking and running animations look unnatural and stiff.  

2. Texture art looks good but the 3d engine looks dated.   Perhaps use Unity its worth the small license fee.

-Blitz

• JatarJatar Member UncommonPosts: 348
    Originally posted by BlitzVF

I respect the CoS's team's efforts to create something new, but I have the following suggestions:

1. Fire the Animator.  The walking and running animations look unnatural and stiff.  

2. Texture art looks good but the 3d engine looks dated.   Perhaps use Unity its worth the small license fee.

-Blitz

He Blitz:

I'd like to answer your suggestions:

1) As we have stated ALL characters and animations are placeholder pre-alpha, and ALL of them will not be in the final game.

2) You can't look at a pre-alpha scene and decide if an engine is dated.  It is actually the opposite.  This engine is the cutting edge of game engines.  It can literally do things that no other engine can do.  What you are judging is not an engine, but Pre-Alpha graphics and... the fact that we are still adding some processes to that engine (it is not done either).  However, this engine can show more detail in a scene than ANY engine out there.  Right now the top of technology in game engines is the ability to render distant objects in voxels and seamlessly skin them into ploygon models as you get closer.  Our engine can already do this.  Due to this, we can create detail into the distance that is not possible in other engines.

Next up, terrain generation.  Our engine creates a world the size of earth.  It grows every plant and makes every soil, right down to pebbles and blades of grass.  It renders this scene all the way out to the horizon, without zones, without fog .  

Speaking of zones.  Our engine renders the ENTIRE world without making you pause to load zones, in fact, once in the world, you NEVER wait to load anything no matter how many thousands of miles/kilometers you go, no matter how many structures or dungeons you enter.

These and MANY more advancements are all part of the T3D engine, which is the most advanced engine for an MMORPG game out there.  Visual effects are still being layered in, but the things I just mentioned are already there.  There are rendering elements still being added daily, next up is real time Ambient Occlusion.  Everybody is so judgemental about the look of our game right now... two words, Pre-Alpha. 

The Unity engine is fine for old clones of typical MMO games, but it could NEVER build CoS, the technology is too dated.  We're building the future of game engines, T3D

• GruugGruug Member RarePosts: 1,791
    Originally posted by Isane

A little while back I was bored , EvE is on the backburner best in depth tactical MMO and the only one that for me that has really impressed in recent years. A Mix of everything , Politics Intrigue and more..... Not as fast paced as a game could be but a Mix of everything Adrenalin please or a few missions and some ISK to be earned.

I was searching about and found a few online books to read good value , Fantasy based with a real good storyline. The underlying plot was good and unusually two trillogies woven into a set of four books. The Author of these was a guy called Philip Blood. http://www.philipblood.com and the Series of books called Cathexis a favourite charachter of mine in the books was called Poison , a favourite of mine.

What was unusual is I noticed that he was developing a MMO, which intrigued me as MMOs are a pet love/hate  of mine for many years ever since the dawning of Meridian59 , UO and a number of the classics. Picking corpses out of the wastelands with Umbris killing me repeatedley in AC1.

The game he was developing had a concept/design that for the first time in a long time made me smile. The guys developing the game were from a company MMO.Magic. http://www.mmomagic.com

What struck me was they had a concept , Expansive gameworld , Game Systems that are very well thought out , No End Game , the destruction of the Holy Trinity. Severe NPC A.I that can kill , so work together guys else you will be dead. Dissapointed as a lot of readers here arewith the current crop of MMOs all of this brought a smile (Again) to my face.

The Game is Citadel of Sorcery and the opportunity has come for people to support something with an Old-School flavour to it, longevity and the potential of a great community forming. The self generating world and quest structure is perfect for loosing yourself and friends in.

This is a great opportunity to support a game with a lot of what has been missing , please support it at http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mmomagic/citadel-of-sorcery-mmorpg?ref=live

This has been a surprise to me but it all adds up to the chance to Play something special. And what are a few dollars in a good cause.

I am just so burnt out on the whole "swords and magic" genre in MMOs right now that this just does not sound at all interesting to me. Plus, I am a little dubious in regards to anything that is "kickstarter" funded. Not that it is a particularly bad idea, just that everyone seems to want to push their wares off there. In the end, too many projects and how do you tell the good ones from the bad. Perhaps I will recheck this in a few months to see how it is going. Maybe my "funk" will have changed by then.

Let's party like it is 1863!

• WereLlamaWereLlama Member UncommonPosts: 246
    Originally posted by Jatar

He Blitz:

1) As we have stated ALL characters and animations are placeholder pre-alpha, and ALL of them will not be in the final game.

2) You can't look at a pre-alpha scene and decide if an engine is dated.  It is actually the opposite.  This engine is the cutting edge of game engines.  It can literally do things that no other engine can do.  What you are judging is not an engine, but Pre-Alpha graphics and... the fact that we are still adding some processes to that engine (it is not done either).  However, this engine can show more detail in a scene than ANY engine out there.  Right now the top of technology in game engines is the ability to render distant objects in voxels and seamlessly skin them into ploygon models as you get closer.  Our engine can already do this.  Due to this, we can create detail into the distance that is not possible in other engines.

Next up, terrain generation.  Our engine creates a world the size of earth.  It grows every plant and makes every soil, right down to pebbles and blades of grass.  It renders this scene all the way out to the horizon, without zones, without fog .  

Speaking of zones.  Our engine renders the ENTIRE world without making you pause to load zones, in fact, once in the world, you NEVER wait to load anything no matter how many thousands of miles/kilometers you go, no matter how many structures or dungeons you enter.

These and MANY more advancements are all part of the T3D engine, which is the most advanced engine for an MMORPG game out there.  Visual effects are still being layered in, but the things I just mentioned are already there.  There are rendering elements still being added daily, next up is real time Ambient Occlusion.  Everybody is so judgemental about the look of our game right now... two words, Pre-Alpha. 

The Unity engine is fine for old clones of typical MMO games, but it could NEVER build CoS, the technology is too dated.  We're building the future of game engines, T3D

Jatar,

Im glad to hear the existing modelling/animation are just placeholders.  I do think it is reasonable for folks, myself included, to judge a game by its cover (or in this case teaser video).  You all have chosen a battlefield with many competitors and casualties.

The real-time loading of zones in a massive scale sounds interesting and I hope it still allows for concentrated social play and not just exploration value.

Anyhow, I wish you and your teammates the very best.   MMO building is just a hobby for myself, but It looks like more of a full time gig for you guys.

-Blitz

• JatarJatar Member UncommonPosts: 348
    Originally posted by BlitzVF
    Originally posted by Jatar

He Blitz:

Jatar,

Im glad to hear the existing modelling/animation are just placeholders.  I do think it is reasonable for folks, myself included, to judge a game by its cover (or in this case teaser video).  You all have chosen a battlefield with many competitors and casualties.

The real-time loading of zones in a massive scale sounds interesting and I hope it still allows for concentrated social play and not just exploration value.

Anyhow, I wish you and your teammates the very best.   MMO building is just a hobby for myself, but It looks like more of a full time gig for you guys.

-Blitz

Thanks Blitz for the best wishes.   Just a couple more things (to clarify for others), we don't mass load zones..., we just don't have zones.   The entire world is persistant, and unique (no duplicated plants, etc.).  Game play is not spread out over vast distances, a quest will take place in a local area that keeps things happening at a fun pace.  As for judging a book by it's cover, this is not the cover yet, just a brown paper wrapping while the cover is still being made.  ;)  

We hope you (all) will understand where the game is, and try to imagine where it is going.  We need the support of the players if we are going to make the game that the players have been asking to have for years.  CoS really is the future of MMO games, the question is, do Players really want it, or were they just saying that?  We're doing our part to change the MMO genre, will players do theirs?   We're on Kickstarter right now... come join the team and help us change things.