Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Darkfall: Unholy Wars: New Screens Released

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Aventurine has released eight brand new screenshots from its upcoming Darkfall: Unholy Wars. You can check them all out in our Darkfall: Unholy Wars screenshot gallery. Let us know what you think!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• vonryan123vonryan123 Member UncommonPosts: 418

omg please faster been waiting since 2010

• PsyMike3dPsyMike3d Member UncommonPosts: 388
    whooohooo can't wait! at last
  • DarwaDarwa Member UncommonPosts: 2,181

Let you know what I think?

I think that graphics aren't high on the list of priorities for people that play Darkfall, which is just as well really ;)

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194

I just love DF world, dark, gritty and unique.

It doesn't seems like a huge improvement from the previous version, but certainly the new lighting system makes a difference.

I can't wait.

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380
    Originally posted by ste2000

I just love DF world, dark, gritty and unique.

It doesn't seems like a huge improvement from the previous version, but certainly the new lighting system makes a difference.

I can't wait.

I agree that it doesn't look a lot different.  The key to pulling the heartstrings of the prospective customers are the game mechancis/features.  Will the proposed changes bring about a true sandbox experience or will Darkfall remain a big one dimensional PVP arena?

• GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,813
    I think the new screens are more vivid than the current DF graphics; bump mapping, lighting and environmental sounds are going to create the perfect atmosphere for immersion. Let's just hope anti-aliasing works in this version.
  • gravesworngravesworn Member Posts: 324
    I am just hoping the new version can handle all the people on the screen at once. It was easy to tell if a group of people were upon you because of the little stutter in graphics.
  • KenzeKenze Member UncommonPosts: 1,217
    so, will Darkfall Unholy Wars require a whole new purchase? or what

Watch your thoughts; they become words.
    Watch your words; they become actions.
    Watch your actions; they become habits.
    Watch your habits; they become character.
    Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.
    —Lao-Tze

• CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985
    Originally posted by Kenze
    so, will Darkfall Unholy Wars require a whole new purchase? or what

Apparently if you purchased the original DF in the past, you will only have to pay for the sub fee to get started in Unholy Wars.

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

• bunnyhopperbunnyhopper Member CommonPosts: 2,751

The world looks really quite amazing given you can pretty much go anywhere within it without restriction.

Some people might cite more modern mmos as being potentially more pleasing on the eye. But for the main part, those worlds are like pictures, you can't get about everywhere, there are hidden invisible walls all over the shop. See that mountain? Welp sorry you can't get up it.

See that mountain in Darfkall? Try not to plummet to your death as you go climbing intrepid explorer!

"Come and have a look at what you could have won."

• Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549
    Looks good!   :)
  • RavenmaneRavenmane Member Posts: 246

I want to play so bad.

"If at first you don't succeed, excessive force is probably the answer."
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] CommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • CaldicotCaldicot Member UncommonPosts: 455
    I can't believe you guys are falling for this again.

If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe. - Carl Sagan

• unrealunreal Member Posts: 53
    Originally posted by Caldicot

^ that

• jiveturkey12jiveturkey12 Member CommonPosts: 1,262

What does that even mean? DF1 eventually was released evenif it did take 8 years.

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465
    Originally posted by jiveturkey12

What does that even mean? DF1 eventually was released evenif it did take 8 years.

In a terrible, broken and unfinished state.

With many "features" either not working or not in there. And many exploited/exploitable game mechanics that took a very long time to fix, and an almost total lack of enforcement against people that did use the exploited mechanics as well as straight up hacks. And epicly poor customer service and customer relations.

If AV "launches" a mostly technically sound game, it will be a surprise.

At least they are not charging existing/former customers who previously bought DF for the new client, which is about the only thing I can give them.

But like many people, I am not expecting much.

• SysFailSysFail Member Posts: 375
    More screens... Wheres the video's showing the GUI, combat momentum and all the other stuff they say is new?
  • CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505
    Originally posted by Burntvet
    Originally posted by jiveturkey12

In a terrible, broken and unfinished state.

With many "features" either not working or not in there. And many exploited/exploitable game mechanics that took a very long time to fix, and an almost total lack of enforcement against people that did use the exploited mechanics as well as straight up hacks. And epicly poor customer service and customer relations.

If AV "launches" a mostly technically sound game, it will be a surprise.

At least they are not charging existing/former customers who previously bought DF for the new client, which is about the only thing I can give them.

But like many people, I am not expecting much.

Even it was released in a terrible, broken unfinished state as you say it sold pretty well for what it was and it kep a loyal fan base for quite some time.

Darkfall for me has been the best MMORPG full stop and I have been happy to pay a sub over the years and the most important thing is that ive had fun.

Its not for everyone as a lot of people cant get their heads around the open world full loot FFA pvp and never will.

Sure AV made a lot of mistakes with Darkfall the main on being not reacting to hackers and exploiters fast enough, this coursed a massive difference between character levels and was probally one of the reasons people used to macro afk and so on..

If they have addressed this then the game will be a lot better, they also need to stopm down hard on hackers and exploiters resetting their characters to 0..

Still we ahve to wait and see how this turns out i really dont like the lack of info available, but i dont have to buy this new game :)

• RaapnaapRaapnaap Member UncommonPosts: 455
    Originally posted by bunnyhopper

The world looks really quite amazing given you can pretty much go anywhere within it without restriction.

Some people might cite more modern mmos as being potentially more pleasing on the eye. But for the main part, those worlds are like pictures, you can't get about everywhere, there are hidden invisible walls all over the shop. See that mountain? Welp sorry you can't get up it.

See that mountain in Darfkall? Try not to plummet to your death as you go climbing intrepid explorer!

People often forget this.

Games like GW2 might look more 'pretty' but you have invisible walls everywhere, and the world is cut up in maps that are not actually connected.

Darkfall had (and still has in UW) one of the largest, seamless and unrestricted worlds in any MMO. There was not a place in the game you couldn't go to besides the very edges of the world, where the sea would end in a waterfall like people in the old world always thought the world was flat and would end the same way.

The problem with the original Darkfall was that most of this large world was empty with no points of interest, something they say they solved in UW by moving all points of interest closer to eachother, while still keeping most of the world's size. It leads me to believe the outer edges of continents will be a bit of a wilderness at launch but that leaves enough space for content patches to add things.

Regarding the graphics specificly, honestly, I never thought the original DF looked bad, the problem was that you were forced to run at the minimum settings to stay competitive in PvP. Not because of FPS issues, but because things like shader model 1 making underwater areas look clear and not blurry, making you able to see your targets better. Aswell as a few other reasons.

In DF:UW, supposedly and unless they changed their mind about it, things like shadows, grass and light effects are force-enabled on all clients, so you can actually hide in the shadows and use the light to your advantage, ect. I really hope this is still the case, otherwise we are again forced to disable them to stay competitive, a terrible shame because they make the game look a lot better and add to the gameplay in a strong way.

• Kuro1nKuro1n Member UncommonPosts: 775
    Looks good. But couldn't care less about that. Can't wait to hear peoples opinions once it launches. :>
  • JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410

i agree with pretty much everyone here on the fact that graphics in DF were never the big issue, apart maybe from the character models/animations that were quite sub par and dated.

the important changes will have to be the UI, the "class" system, the removal of the endless stats grind, and hopefully a bit more sandbox freedom when it comes to building strongholds and guild cities. Those are the things that will make or brake this "re-launch".

• SnowMiserSnowMiser Member Posts: 4

If you build it.......he will come

The Hooligans will be here come November!!!