Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Priority Login for paying customers

Now thats a good idea  for a F2P game. The latest idea from SOE (http://tinyurl.com/9w29bf7). I bet this will catch on.

I quote the latest from the Planetside forums:

A couple weeks ago we posted a thread with some of our thoughts on where we wanted to take the Planetside 2 membership. We received a lot of well thought out feedback and ideas from you guys and have made some adjustments to our membership offering based on it. Here are our revised and final membership benefits:

• 25-50% increased resource gain.
  • 25-50% increased XP gain.
  • 25-50% increased passive cert point gain.
    • Note: Each of the above start at 25% and increase by 5% per month of sustained membership up to a total bonus of 50% each at 6+ months membership.
  • Priority login queue
  • Early Access to new cosmetic items on the store
  • 500 StationCash each month
Price will be 14.99 / month

A couple notes on this revised plan:
  1. You'll notice that we've removed the previous membership benefit of "increased resource pool caps", this was as a direct result to community feedback. We thought about this a lot and decided it did give a potential gameplay advantage to members. We removed this benefit and added 500 SC to the membership offering to compensate for the removal.
  2. Several of the benefits have an increasing value the longer you maintain your membership. If you buy a multi-month sku you will be automatically elevated to the bonus value for the last month of that sku, so if you bought a 6-month membership sku you would immediately receive the 50% increased cert gain. If your membership lapses you will have 30 days to reestablish your membership to retain the increased bonus amounts.
We're excited about this plan and at having been able to incorporate your feedback into it. As always, thank youfor your feedback and continued support!

You can please some MMO-players all of the time and you can please all MMO-players some of the time but you can't please all MMO-players all of the time.

Comments

• tixylixtixylix Member UncommonPosts: 1,288

Yup and the resource system ensures it's pay to win, some people don't think that would be a problem but if you pay you'll be able to use vehicles and max suits more often where non paying customers will most likely be out of resources lol.

It'll really come down to which side has the most paying customers as the effect will multiply. 

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022
    Well they had to have some way to insure that folks would sub up.  PUtting you in a que and making you pull out your hair is one way.  However play to win is stamped all over this game.
  • CalmOceansCalmOceans Member UncommonPosts: 2,437

Just looks like a pay2win game to me.

The only viable F2P games are the ones where they only sell cosmetics, all the rest are basically P2P games that use a cash shop instead of a subscription and will end up costing more than a P2P game for most people.

All SOE games will from now on be horribly unbalanced Pay2Win games, they started it with Everquest by adding cash shops, now it's standard in all their games.

I don't think SoE will ever release a game that isn't Pay2Win anymore, I don't know why people even try their games anymore. Even if they did, you can't trust them anymore since they have a history of making every P2P game Pay2Win.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Almost all of the freemium and hybrid MMOs have priority queue for subscribers. Are you finding these games to be so slammed with people that queues are happening beyond the first couple weeks after release? It seems like this is a non-issue really.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• DOGMA1138DOGMA1138 Member UncommonPosts: 476

Originally posted by CalmOceans Just looks like a pay2win game to me. The only viable F2P games are the ones where they only sell cosmetics, all the rest are basically P2P games that use a cash shop and will end up costing more than a P2P game for most people.
    GW2 is a P2W game then?

The only problem i have with this is that it screws the people who just used the shop, they should implement something like if you buy in a month equal or more than the cost of the sub the next month you get a sub status.

The XP gain is irrelevant, the resources game will only really be "good" for unskilled, or less skilled players since it will allow them to access vehicles more often, it's not something that will give them a major advantage in most situations.

Also P2S is not about 1 vs 1 or about small groups the scale of the battles in Planet Side 2 will make any resource advantage of a specific player irrelevant since it should all balance out between the factions on the server.

The "Alpha Squad" bonus is although less blatant is not much different from the sub bonus, not sure if they actually stack.

Further more if you're a decent player and can afford to play for longer periods of time you should not have issues with resources. The sub bonus how ever will give people that can jump in for 30-60min couple times a week a much better experience and allow them to play which ever role they want.

What worries me is that clans might actually start putting sub as a requirement for joining since it does give some advantage if a coordinated assault goes badly.

People who complain about the resource boost probably did not play Planet Side 2, or even 1.
    Resources are only gained trough territory control and they are capped they are gained only if you are actually in game, so the boost is not that different than what you would get say in League of Legends when you buy IP boosts.

GW is not pay2win for me.

(maybe GW2 but I haven't played it, I somehow doubt it though)

SoE uses:

*F2P with P2P together, giving P2P players advantages

*on top of that they add a cash shop into all their games, which is always no exception, full of pay2win items

*on top of that they use their Legends of Norrath card game where you can buy cards, and trade them in for powerful in-game items

*they will change any P2P game into a pay2win P2P game with a cash shop

*they increase the power of their cash shop items as time goes by since people who have played for a while are less likely to quit

SoE is the worst of all the pay2win publishers, I would rather play a Korean F2P game than touch another SoE game.

• ScivaSciva Member UncommonPosts: 298
    Originally posted by CalmOceans

GW is not pay2win for me.

(maybe GW2 but I haven't played it, I somehow doubt it though)

SoE uses:

*F2P with P2P together, giving P2P players advantages

*on top of that they add a cash shop into all their games, which is always no exception, full of pay2win items

*on top of that they use their Legends of Norrath card game where you can buy cards, and trade them in for powerful in-game items

SoE is the worst of all the pay2win publishers, I would rather play a Korean F2P game than touch another SoE game.

Because that picture you get for your house from LoN is making you more powerful at the game rite? Yes, they do have servers where you can buy equipment but that is seperate from everyone else, so everyone has the chance to be on the same level. (Unless this has changed)

Originally posted by Sciva

Because that picture you get for your house from LoN is making you more powerful at the game rite?

LoN (the SoE card game for anyone not familiar) gave out an item that was ridiculously powerful to Everquest players. Refilling your whole mana bar on raids is incredibly powerful.

People were paying $100 in RL money just to get one of them.

This is besides the fact that paying for membership ranking give benefits and besides the fact they have a whole cash shop on top of it with pay2win items.

Originally posted by CalmOceans GW is not pay2win for me. (maybe GW2 but I haven't played it, I somehow doubt it though)   SoE uses: *F2P with P2P together, giving P2P players advantages *on top of that they add a cash shop into all their games, which is always no exception, full of pay2win items *on top of that they use their Legends of Norrath card game where you can buy cards, and trade them in for powerful in-game items   SoE is the worst of all the pay2win publishers, I would rather play a Korean F2P game than touch another SoE game.
    If you want to rage against SoE fine, but stick behind what you are saying.

Do i like the sub boost? no. Do i have a problem with them? no. Do i think its pay to win? no.

Every boost they give you can be bought with the cash store, none of them give you any advantages that can not be gained trough more game time than your opponent, the resource boost is really not that great.

If you're a bad player you'll just keep crashing or blowing up over and over, and again resources are only gained trough territory control, if you logon when your faction has been kicked out of any thing but your "home zone" the boost is pretty much meaningless.

The out-cry against this was pretty much exclusive to newcomers, and people who do not actually play PS2 at all. All the PS1 veterans, and the hardcore PS2 players have no problems with those boost since it will not make them any worse, if you're an ace pilot then the guy who just wasted his 15$ boost to spawn his 10th mosq is just more xp for you...

Because that picture you get for your house from LoN is making you more powerful at the game rite?

LoN (the SoE card game for anyone not familiar) gave out an item that was ridiculously powerful to Everquest players. Refilling your whole mana bar on raids is incredibly powerful.

People were paying up to $100 in RL money just to get one of them.

People are paying 500$ for a stupid mount from WoW's TTC...

You think SoE will not increase the power of the items? Then you don't know their track record, they will keep on adding items until it's purely pay2win.
    You think SoE will not increase the power of the items? Then you don't know their track record, they will keep on adding items until it's purely pay2win.

[mod edit] what items, have you ever played PS2? or PS1? you do realize it's a shooter first game right? means if some one scores a headshot there isn't an item in the whole damn universe to save you... there is also no +8000 to head shot chance gun.... nor could there be one.

If you are not a good player, and you do not play as an integral part of a team there is no item, no boost in the world that will help you, heck if you just run around COD style you will gain nothing with or with out boosts...

Originally posted by DOGMA1138

People were paying up to $100 in RL money just to get one of them.

People are paying 500$ for a stupid mount from WoW's TTC...

SoE's items are quite a bit more powerful than WoW's items, besides I'm not a fan of WoW either, but their cash shop is at least within some limit, although Recruit a Friend programs are a form of pay2win too.

P2W what? quicker to max level? it's a thempark there is 0 actuall gain from it, honestly you are just trolling now.

P.S. there is an edit button.

If you want to rant about SoE please start a new thread, don't hijack this one.

Pointing out SoE's horrible track record doesn't make me a troll, you're just unwilling to accept my point of view, I assume because you're a planetside 2 fan. If you like SoE and think your game will be the exception to the rule, dive in and spend your cash, I gave a fair warning.

Planetside 2 developer: "As much as I want to give you the definitive answer that PlanetSide 2 is not pay-to-win, it turns out it's actually a fairly personal question,"

Pointing out SoE's horrible track record doesn't make me a troll, you're just unwilling to accept my point of view, I assume because you're a planetside 2 fan. If you like SoE and think your game will be the exception to the rule, dive in and spend your cash, I gave a fair warning.

Planetside 2 developer: "As much as I want to give you the definitive answer that PlanetSide 2 is not pay-to-win, it turns out it's actually a fairly personal question,"

NCsoft has worse track record of P2W than SoE sorry, should i bring it in every GW2 thread? - NO.

Not a single boost that they gave you would make any difference when 1 person is either more skilled than the other, or can afford to spend the 20-50% more time in the game, infact if you are playing pro-actively if you spend 50% more time in the game you would gain more than the 50% boost would've given you if you hadn't.

And even if it did gave the worlds largett 1 on 1 boost it doesnt matter, there is not a single instance in the game that 1 on 1 would happen, or would have any meaning. The only time you have 1 vs 1 is when 2 players are not playing the game but running around where they should not be since there is no action going on there happen to meet each other and duke it out.

The boost will only have major implication in the extreme scenario where 1 faction has the best clans, controls the most territory and gains the most of every thing, but boost or no boost if that would happen they would steamroll the other factions any how.

Saying SoE did this, SoE did that, while ignoring every point about the actual game mechanics and why you can not itemize the game as you could an RPG is trolling, yes.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

People were paying $100 in RL money just to get one of them.

This is besides the fact that paying for membership ranking give benefits and besides the fact they have a whole cash shop on top of it with pay2win items.

How is that a bad thing? Are these PVP raids or do the rewards come based on who did the most damage? How does that do anything other than help the rest of the raid group succeed?

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    I think this is an adjustment period into the "new" free to play. Previously the B grade games were F2P because, well, that's what they are worth. They sold power to those that liked the game enough.

Games like PS2, and more to come, are not the previous free to play quality games we've been used to. If you don't pay a cent to play you shouldn't be able to do everything paying customers do. If you could what's the point of having a payment option? I know many of you have been used to playing free games and now some really quality games are coming that allow you to continue this trend. Just be reasonable, quality things aren't free.
    Originally posted by Loktofeit

How is that a bad thing? Are these PVP raids or do the rewards come based on who did the most damage? How does that do anything other than help the rest of the raid group succeed?

There's no PVP raids in EQ, they're PVE.

I don't get your question, you say "how does that do anything but help the raid succeed?"

What else do pay2win items do? Of course it helps you succeed in raids or in the game or wherever you want since it instantly fills your mana pool, which makes it a pay2win item, one of the most powerful items you could get at the time.

Is that not pay2win for you? What does pay2win mean for you then, max lvl and item with one click?

"how is that a bad thing?"

You have to ask this? You have 6k posts and you're asking how pay2win items are a bad thing? It unbalances the game towards people who spend the most money.

I think that if a game has a "sub" than the items within the game should be available in the game.

However, let's keep a little perspective. The only pay to win example was a chance from booster packs that was pretty rare if people are paying that much for it. One could argue that the revenue generated for the game from people trying to get that specific item is worth it. I would rather it be available as a % drop in the world with a larger chance from the boosters.

The item itself? Instant full bar of mana every 20 hours? Other than Lay on Hands screaming it's OP that item is not pay to win.
    Clarification: those paying for a sub in a sub game should have a chance for "extracurricular" type of items to drop in the world. If they are there at all.