Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

+1 copper above the vendor price on the TP

Comments

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685

Too much supply brings down the prices.  Trading Post is linked across all servers, both US & EU.

If they lowered the drop rate, and these items became more rare, then the market wouldn't be so saturated.  Or they should just remove the prices on them.

Either way, i just salvage them and sell the mats or use them.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    I'm not saying I know for sure, but having to set a bottom price is a sign of a bad or failed economy. I'm drawing reference from GW2 and Swtor being the only recent AAA mmos I can recall having to do so. I know it's not like this in WoW, RIFT, or TSW. 
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by observer

Too much supply brings down the prices.  Trading Post is linked across all servers, both US & EU.

If they lowered the drop rate, and these items became more rare, then the market wouldn't be so saturated.  Or they should just remove the prices on them.

This will never change so long as every player gets their own farming node. So in other games where a node spawns maybe 3 items into the game economy, now you have 3X every player who hits it.

• XtenXten Member Posts: 119
    Originally posted by bcbully
    I'm not saying I know for sure, but having to set a bottom price is a sign of a bad or failed economy. I'm drawing reference from GW2 and Swtor being the only recent AAA mmos I can recall having to do so. I know it's not like this in WoW, RIFT, or TSW. 

It does not seem to be a issue of "having" to do so but more of a deciscion of simply doing it like this. It has been like this from day one so there has been no measure to go by to conclude that it simply "has" to be done this way. But giving players the potion to dump tons of items on the TP below or even way below the market price could potentially pose issues so why not prevent that in the first place as i do not see how this impairs anyone it sounds like a great choice.

Originally posted by GeezerGamer

This will never change so long as every player gets their own farming node. So in other games where a node spawns maybe 3 items into the game economy, now you have 3X every player who hits it.

This is also a good point actually. I never was big on crafting so i do not know if it requires more mats to balance this out but i imagine this could be the case.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by Xten

This is also a good point actually. I never was big on crafting so i do not know if it requires more mats to balance this out but i imagine this could be the case.

I think it has more to do with the "we are all friends.", "No competition" pve theme.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

To a lesser degree, I saw this in Rift. Breaking down gear into some usable crafting items. People didn't need to buy or farm every single item they needed to level thier crafting with, sometimes items could be broken down and even 1-2 extra points were gained. This kept the supply a bit higher and the demand a bit lower.

• xpiherxpiher Member UncommonPosts: 3,310
    Originally posted by Ryowulf
    Who's buying this junk? It seems to me most of this crap doesn't sell and is returned to the player. At best it is just being used to clear bag space, but then you still end up selling it to a vender later.

You can use the mystic forage as a means of upgrading equipment and getting rare skins

Games:
    Currently playing:Nothing
    Will play: Darkfall: Unholy Wars
    Past games:
    Guild Wars 2 - Xpiher Duminous
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Darkfall - Xpiher Duminous (NA) retired
    AoC - Xpiher (Tyranny) retired
    Warhammer - Xpiher

Originally posted by xpiher
    Originally posted by Ryowulf
    Who's buying this junk? It seems to me most of this crap doesn't sell and is returned to the player. At best it is just being used to clear bag space, but then you still end up selling it to a vender later.

You can use the mystic forage as a means of upgrading equipment and getting rare skins

something i still need to truly look into other then walking up to it and opening the menu lol.

To a lesser degree, I saw this in Rift. Breaking down gear into some usable crafting items. People didn't need to buy or farm every single item they needed to level thier crafting with, sometimes items could be broken down and even 1-2 extra points were gained. This kept the supply a bit higher and the demand a bit lower.

I can see how that works yeah. I never really paid attention to how the marke actually works outside of eve-onlines market but that of course is a whole different ballgame. Come to think of it i suspect eve's market system is probably the reason i never took any themeparks market system serious now that i think about it :)

• andre369andre369 Member UncommonPosts: 970
    Its because people can put things on the AH from anywhere in the world. Its a convience feature that saturates the market with vendor trash. However, it has its benifits if you like to gamble. 4 green items can be turned into yellow items at a certain % by using the mystic forage. I've gotten some pretty good weapons/armor doing this, and some unique skins. ANET said they are looking at ways at reducing this, but chances are they won't remove the ability of selling items to the AH directly from your inventory. 

I am not entirely sure if i understood the convenience part right tbh. Do you mean it is being used as for the convenience of emptieng your inventory from anywhere from the inventory?

If so it would be as fast as simply destroying those items on the spot and actually save you money as oposed to selling them at a loss in the TP.

(again i am not really sure i understood what you meant there : )

Lets see, many items sell for 1 copper to merchant and 2 copper on trade post. If you have 100 items you can sell them on TP for twice the price> Gain money. 

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Why do people keep putting items onto the TP for 1 copper higher then the vendor price when it actually costs them 2 copper to do so ? Why do people keep  doing this?

At first i thought this would be something that would settle after a while but now im starting to question if i am missing something here and that there is good reason to do this since this seems to still be a very popular use of the TP.

I dont see it though,  items that makes 14 copper on the vendor for instance are being sold for 15 copper on the TP which would cost the seller 2 copper just to put it on there and eventually nets him a result of -1 copper on the whole deal. Are there really that many people that are unaware of this?

I think this part of the TP still needs work, yes. You just shouldnt be able to put a price lower than minimum profits for the seller.

I personally never sells for less than 50% over the vendortrash price out of principle. I dont give away stuff for free, I am a theif FFS.

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    Originally posted by Tonin109
    Its because people can put things on the AH from anywhere in the world. Its a convience feature that saturates the market with vendor trash. However, it has its benifits if you like to gamble. 4 green items can be turned into yellow items at a certain % by using the mystic forage. I've gotten some pretty good weapons/armor doing this, and some unique skins. ANET said they are looking at ways at reducing this, but chances are they won't remove the ability of selling items to the AH directly from your inventory. 

there are merchants everywhere in each zone

you can even sell craps with karma vendors

so there are tons of options to sell craps

Why do people reply like this? Yes, we all know there's all the usual options to sell trash. Doesn't change the fact people are selling their trash on the TP instead of using vendors.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • austriacusaustriacus Member UncommonPosts: 618
    Originally posted by andre369

I am not entirely sure if i understood the convenience part right tbh. Do you mean it is being used as for the convenience of emptieng your inventory from anywhere from the inventory?

If so it would be as fast as simply destroying those items on the spot and actually save you money as oposed to selling them at a loss in the TP.

Lets see, many items sell for 1 copper to merchant and 2 copper on trade post. If you have 100 items you can sell them on TP for twice the price> Gain money. 

You are actually selling them for the same price as vendoring, theres a tax to putting things at the tp, or maybe even less? im not sure about this personally.

I do not think that you understand.

It costs you 2 copper to put it on the TP before you even manage to sell the item and thus selling a item for 1 copper more makes you actually lose 1 copper so if you do that x100 it would have cost you 100 copper to do so. tbh this has been said in this thread numerous times.

But... Andre's post does prove <is that the correct spelling? without a doubt that there are people out there that truly think they are making money this way and are not just putting these item up there like that for the ease of it. :)

Originally posted by Loke666

Why do people keep putting items onto the TP for 1 copper higher then the vendor price when it actually costs them 2 copper to do so ? Why do people keep  doing this?

At first i thought this would be something that would settle after a while but now im starting to question if i am missing something here and that there is good reason to do this since this seems to still be a very popular use of the TP.

I dont see it though,  items that makes 14 copper on the vendor for instance are being sold for 15 copper on the TP which would cost the seller 2 copper just to put it on there and eventually nets him a result of -1 copper on the whole deal. Are there really that many people that are unaware of this?

I think this part of the TP still needs work, yes. You just shouldnt be able to put a price lower than minimum profits for the seller.

I personally never sells for less than 50% over the vendortrash price out of principle. I dont give away stuff for free, I am a theif FFS.

LOL xD

Thats another good way to RP a thief xD

Since some people raised it as a issue I also see no reason why people should be able to put items on there for less then the vendor price. All it does is help bots dump there inventory and ruin the market while adding no benefit to legit players. Legit players would have no use or benefit of this. Incase they want to be charitable they can simply give it away to anyone.

• ConnmacartConnmacart Member UncommonPosts: 722

It costs you 2 copper to put it on the TP before you even manage to sell the item and thus selling a item for 1 copper more makes you actually lose 1 copper so if you do that x100 it would have cost you 100 copper to do so. tbh this has been said in this thread numerous times.

But... Andre's post does prove

It doesn't cost these people anything if they actually sell the items on the trader. What does happen is they lose potential money. If people don't want to run to a merchant to offload their stuff it's their perogative.

• Cod_EyeCod_Eye Member UncommonPosts: 1,016
    Remove the ability to sell to npc's and remove the value to the npc on the item icon, then we would have a better free market.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,892
    Originally posted by Connmacart

It doesn't cost these people anything if they actually sell the items on the trader. What does happen is they lose potential money. If people don't want to run to a merchant to offload their stuff it's their perogative.

I would agree. Heck, come to think of it I think I've probably done taht a few times.

As long as I'm getting something what do I care?

I'd rather not have to find a vendor or do what I usually do and delete the item to make room for something else.

Since this money isn't real I really don't care if I lose out on additional fake money. Granted, in the context of the game it has it's own value but at the moment I've really not felt the need to buy anything.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    Originally posted by Connmacart

It does , you do not get a tax return form in gw2.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

What worries me more is people offereing a few cuppers for good gear and the TP defaulting to this setting, and people by accident selling good gear for a few copper.  

They should make it impossible for people to make offers below vendor prices too.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,892
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

What worries me more is people offereing a few cuppers for good gear and the TP defaulting to this setting, and people by accident selling good gear for a few copper.  

They should make it impossible for people to make offers below vendor prices too.

Wouldn't that take away the freedom of the economy?

Maybe good gear should be dirt cheap? Especially if there is a lot of it. Or, someone might sell some good gear dirt cheap and someone else might buy it all up and sell it for a much higher price.

I used to do this all the time in Lineage 2. I would buy up all the "shots" and then inflate the price. Never too high but enough to make it worth it.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433

People want to get rid of their drops asap when they get them in the world.

Heck, I've bought items that were going for 10g or so with a 3g buy-order, probably just because they didn't pay attention to the actual sale price and just wanted to do away with an item.

What I don't get is when you have an item that seems to be selling for a decent price (like a green going for 10s or so) and then suddenly you have a number of idiots that bring the price down to 1c over vendor right away

Guess it's one of the things with a global TP.

It does tell you that you can't make an offer below the vendor price now, at least some red text appears if you try.

Not sure when and how the dudes offering 1c for everything made that order.

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005
    Originally posted by Sovrath

Wouldn't that take away the freedom of the economy?

Maybe good gear should be dirt cheap? Especially if there is a lot of it. Or, someone might sell some good gear dirt cheap and someone else might buy it all up and sell it for a much higher price.

I used to do this all the time in Lineage 2. I would buy up all the "shots" and then inflate the price. Never too high but enough to make it worth it.

In modern themeparks where crafting is meant as pleasureable, covneniant side-game used by significant portion of playerbase there always will be massive supply which will bring prices down to low levels.    Sometimes there are few more expensive things, but they are usually heavily gated behind something (like some recipes in Lotro on 1 week cooldown amd rep gateetc).

Also centralized cross server AH just increase this.

To have working interesting economy game would be have to be diffrent, in some areas very diffrent.  This would not be liked by most current players.  

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005
    Originally posted by Fdzzaigl

It does tell you that you can't make an offer below the vendor price now, at least some red text appears if you try.

Not sure when and how the dudes offering 1c for everything made that order.

It was moot anyway, since even though offers below vendor price were listed you as seller could not sell items to those orders anyway.  At least few days ago when I logged especially to check this, motivated by this thread in it' "early days" ;p