Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Massively.com - First impressions on Mortal Online

Comments

• SaintPhilipSaintPhilip Member Posts: 713

I agree with Slapshot here, in that "announcing" yourself as a Journalist voids the integrity of the experience.

That said, there is NO integrity in gaming "journalism" anyhow...Sadly.  Its all payola and plugola - Favor for a favor- Paid advertisment (either direct of indirect).

BUT , integrity aside-  There is very little which can be done besides blatant LIES which would paint this experience in a positive light. I expect a writeup that "attempts" to be honest by pointing out flaws but completley pulls the punches and adds plenty of positive spin.

-But yeah, his announcing himself is akin to "ASKING"  for the Red Carpet Treatment. Anyhow, its going to be an interesting read .

• deathshrouddeathshroud Member Posts: 1,366
    Originally posted by YojimboBimbo
    Originally posted by Hancakes
    Originally posted by FastSloth
    I really doubt that massively would risk their credibility for anything that SV has to offer but that's just me I suppose. <.<

I dont get why theyre doing a first impression on a dying game 2+ years after relase.

Who knows, doesnt matter much, anytime MO related news gets posted, no one gives a damn.  SV has used their lifelines already and game is on its way out.  

The massively guy should beware taking free accounts.  Does not look good at all ethics wise.  

dont see an issue personally with journalists being given free accounts for viewing the game. its coomon practise. although that free acconut should expire once their time spent reviewing is over.

That is hardly a bribe, considering its actually more hardwork than its worth simply playing the game anyway.

there are 2 types of mmo, imitators and innovaters.

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,927
    Originally posted by deathshroud
    Originally posted by FastSloth
    I really doubt that massively would risk their credibility for anything that SV has to offer but that's just me I suppose. <.<

I dont get why theyre doing a first impression on a dying game 2+ years after relase.

Who knows, doesnt matter much, anytime MO related news gets posted, no one gives a damn.  SV has used their lifelines already and game is on its way out.  

The massively guy should beware taking free accounts.  Does not look good at all ethics wise.  

dont see an issue personally with journalists being given free accounts for viewing the game. its coomon practise. although that free acconut should expire once their time spent reviewing is over.

That is hardly a bribe, considering its actually more hardwork than its worth simply playing the game anyway.

Again,  which would you trust?

A food critic that announces himself prior to ordering and is comped for the meal?

A food critic that stays anonymous, pays his own way (well I'm sure his company pays) and then writes about it later?

This isn't like a movie where your experience is always going to be the same.  This is something where the experience will vary wildly based on the interactions you have.  By annoucing yourself on the forums and allowing the Developers to do things like upgrade your account you have tossed credibility out the window.

And don't get me wrong...  He could very well be OVERLY harsh to compensate for that perception.  The point is simply that by announcing yourself and accepting (or being open to accepting) out of the ordinary treatment you have instantly created the PERCEPTION of imperpriety.

If he writes a stinging article, people will think it's because he over compensated.

If he writes an overly positive article people will think it's because his experience was different than the average player and that by announcing himself he was treated differently by the players AND the developers.

That said,  I am still going to read it :-)

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• HancakesHancakes Member Posts: 1,045

Pathetic http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/10/07/rise-and-shiny-mortal-online/

"I was never ganked, I never saw anyone be ganked, and I spent a lot of time running around, talking to people, and hanging out in a guild-created town. I wasn't attacked by a single stranger. The point is, don't believe internet rumors."

You think your VIP tour had something to do with that? image (plus the server being empty)

• SaintPhilipSaintPhilip Member Posts: 713

"The developers who eventually did get in contact with me were very nice and communicative. I was given a press account and received a very long, hard-to-read private message explaining how the game is often poo-pooed by people who have experienced only games like World of Warcraft and who do not understand the complexities of a FFA world like Mortal Online. (The developer also told me that the team is hard at work on bugs and other issues. I don't doubt it.)"

-LOLOLOLOL

So they essentially contacted him and rambled about the WOW kiddie excuse. That is priceless. Not to mention the "hard to read" part.

OMG- That review was pretty funny. Thanks for the link.

• YojimboBimboYojimboBimbo Member Posts: 162
    Im sure he was being watched the whole time. I wouldn't doubt if sv was teleporting players away lol. But he said in his first video that someone tried to kill him and that he guarded him.....
  • deathshrouddeathshroud Member Posts: 1,366

Pathetic http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/10/07/rise-and-shiny-mortal-online/

"I was never ganked, I never saw anyone be ganked, and I spent a lot of time running around, talking to people, and hanging out in a guild-created town. I wasn't attacked by a single stranger. The point is, don't believe internet rumors."

You think your VIP tour had something to do with that? image (plus the server being empty)

must admit though when i did play after awakening i didnt get killed either, was partly due to low population but also nobody wants murdercounts becasue those guards are nasty and all over the place

i was mostly mining and crafting but i was venturing into areas like kranesh and around the outisde of tindrem that have regular traffic, seems like the red population really have been culled uite abit.

problem for me thoguh is that all my warriors and mages are red and cant do shit anymore.

there are 2 types of mmo, imitators and innovaters.

• HurvartHurvart Member Posts: 565

I think the game is buggy and unpolished. But its not a streamlined themepark game that depends on quest based leveling.

I think some of the things that was complained about was a bit unfair. It is a sandbox for hardcore players that prefer games like that. It should be tedious and clunky compared to a modern themepark. It should be difficult to figure out what to do. Thats part of the experience for oldschool players that like that type of game. Blood and things in general that sensitive people dont like is also OK in a game like this.

I remember when I first played EQ. The first time I played I had to spend hours trying to figure out what to do. And to do quests I had to read on the internet or ask other players. There was no "handholding" at all. I think it was worse compared to this video. But it was fun anyway. If they can fix the bugs and improve the game there could be some potential I think.

Originally posted by Hurvart

I think the game is buggy and unpolished. But its not a streamlined themepark game that depends on quest based leveling.

I think some of the things that was complained about was a bit unfair. It is a sandbox for hardcore players that prefer games like that. It should be tedious and clunky compared to a modern themepark. It should be difficult to figure out what to do. Thats part of the experience for oldschool players that like that type of game. Blood and things in general that sensitive people dont like is also OK in a game like this.

I remember when I first played EQ. The first time I played I had to spend hours trying to figure out what to do. And to do quests I had to read on the internet or ask other players. There was no "handholding" at all. I think it was worse compared to this video. But it was fun anyway. If they can fix the bugs and improve the game there could be some potential I think.

a sandbox does not have to be tedious...That is horrible thinking.  Any game should definitely not be clunky...Archage is a sandbox that looks very well polished and thought out.  

I swear, you MO players talk like battered wives that don't think they deserve better.  

a sandbox does not have to be tedious...That is horrible thinking.  Any game should definitely not be clunky...Archage is a sandbox that looks very well polished and thought out.  

I swear, you MO players talk like battered wives that don't think they deserve better.  

If it is a bit retro and oldschool there should be no handholding. A new player should have to spend some time learning how to play and to figure out what to do.

I can certainly recognize there are problems. But expecting a streamlined action game with quest content that is easy to start playing is a mistake, IMO. It will not feel tedious if you like that type of game design. Only modern players that expect hand holding and that dont want to "waste" time will think its tedious.

I think the guy playing in the video prefer other games. More like WoW if we talk about action, pace and quests. This game is not only a sandbox. It is a retro sandbox, IMO.

• ToferioToferio Member UncommonPosts: 1,411

If it is a bit retro and oldschool there should be no handholding. A new player should have to spend some time learning how to play and to figure out what to do.

I can certainly recognize there are problems. But expecting a streamlined action game with quest content that is easy to start playing is a mistake, IMO. It will not feel tedious if you like that type of game design. Only modern players that expect hand holding and that dont want to "waste" time will think its tedious.

I think the guy playing in the video prefer other games. More like WoW if we talk about action, pace and quests. This game is not only a sandbox. It is a retro sandbox, IMO.

You mean retro like having a huge arrow in the middle of the screen for next objective like MO has? There is nothing retro about bad newbie player experience. 

Originally posted by Toferio

You mean retro like having a huge arrow in the middle of the screen for next objective like MO has? There is nothing retro about bad newbie player experience. 

I can agree. The arrow should not be there. At all. The player should have to talk to all NPC:s to try to find the ones that have quests. And have to figure out how to answer the npc to get the quest. And after that figure out how to do the quest and where to go. This can be difficult for a new player. But it is very rewarding long term, IMO. It will make the game feel more like a virtual world. Not like you are on rails... I think that is a good experience when I start playing a new game.

I can understand why others would complain. But I like it.

Originally posted by Toferio

they are bullying the reviewer now.  not being so nice any more now.

• raff01raff01 Member Posts: 453
    Anyone notice the dialog box with "You have TAKE damage" ...fail english grammar

Even the MO players think he got preferential treatment. 

"Seemed pretty straight forward, told it like it was imo. Good job Beau. Though your experience was alil softened due to who you were. Despite that, was a good read."

"everyone put on the dog and pony show before the review. Now that it is done, prepare to see the true MO community! lol"

(Largest MO guildleader) ~We actually did our best to contact this guy. We had a few people message him on here and just before we went out to a large fight we again tried to get him to come with us.

All to no avail.

Beau response ~I tried to add you to my friends list, several times. It didn't work. I received two or three "X wants to add you as a friend" and so I accepted. I looked ta my friends list, and there was no one on it.

yea, they are not happy with him now.  
  • BiskopBiskop Member UncommonPosts: 709

Funny how they (the players, that is) blame him for not accepting all the VIP treatment they tried to throw his way - as if it's his responsibility to portray the game from the brightest possible angle and somehow experience the "real" game in a week's time. Some really hurting butts over there right now, that's for sure. "We held out a hand to you... to no avail" Just LOL.

He made it clear from the start that the whole thing was not a review but an impression piece, and that his goal is not to cover the full depth of the game but rather sample it in the same way a new player would.

It's not like the average gamer who tries MO for the first time gets PMs from the major guilds begging him to come PvP with them, or have devs bumping their trial accounts, or people trying to please them by writing long forum posts detailing MO's awesome features (all hidden somewhere behind the mountains of bugs and tedious/boring/unfinished crap)...

I think the diehard fans just can't get over the fact that most people find MO lacking in many ways, and so they blame the player rather than the game. Fanboys will be fanboys.

Originally posted by Biskop

Funny how they (the players, that is) blame him for not accepting all the VIP treatment they tried to throw his way - as if it's his responsibility to portray the game from the brightest possible angle and somehow experience the "real" game in a week's time. Some really hurting butts over there right now, that's for sure. "We held out a hand to you... to no avail" Just LOL.

He made it clear from the start that the whole thing was not a review but an impression piece, and that his goal is not to cover the full depth of the game but rather sample it in the same way a new player would.

It's not like the average gamer who tries MO for the first time gets PMs from the major guilds begging him to come PvP with them, or have devs bumping their trial accounts, or people trying to please them by writing long forum posts detailing MO's awesome features (all hidden somewhere behind the mountains of bugs and tedious/boring/unfinished crap)...

I think the diehard fans just can't get over the fact that most people find MO lacking in many ways, and so they blame the player rather than the game. Fanboys will be fanboys.

Very true.  Mortal has some of the biggest fanboys over there.  You would think they own stock.  

• FastSlothFastSloth Member Posts: 132

I love how they insult him and call him a noob. That's much closer to the real noob experience already.

Beau did a very good first impressions stream on Wurm Online recently (without the dog and ponies show because Wurm isn't as pathetic as Mortal). But apparently "he should just go back to WoW". :D

He really went soft on SV but it was not enough. XD ("He only pointed out 85% bad and 15% good things".. lol. That's not even close to how it really is then, 100% shit.)

What are te MO fanboys crying about?...  I think the piece was overly generous,
    Originally posted by OG_Zorvan 
    And considering how much MO stock is actually worth ( nothing ) they'll do their best to try to get suckers to come in and pay money so that they might see a $0.01 increase in value. lol

That  $0.01 would actually double the stocks value. image

Now the fanbots are saying he wasn't playing MO correctly.  

"I offered you a chance to experience this game as it should be experienced."

"Your entire attitude makes me even question you as a reviewer, refusing to actually play a game how it should be played"

How desperate can they get?

• WendettaWendetta Member Posts: 30
    Originally posted by deathshroud

Proud Member of the A.F-D-A. [Anti Fanboy-Defense-Army]Association for a Better Tomorrow or [A.F-D-A.]AfaBT, in short.

• SHOE788SHOE788 Member Posts: 700

Now the fanbots are saying he wasn't playing MO correctly.  

"I offered you a chance to experience this game as it should be experienced."

"Your entire attitude makes me even question you as a reviewer, refusing to actually play a game how it should be played"

How desperate can they get?

"refusing to actually play a game how it should be played"

I thought MO was a sandbox? BK have it your way?