Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to Report A Bot

tordurbartordurbar Member UncommonPosts: 421

Anyone know how I report a bot?

I don't see anything in the GW2 forums (looking in the wrong places) and won't enable cookies to post so I was hoping that someone here would be able to help me.

It is getting disheartening to see bot after bot. In Lornar Pass there are three of them running over and over. I know that ANet is working on this but I am getting that Lineage 2, Aion feeling.

Thanks!

Comments

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    If you right click their portrait or name in chat there should be a list and I believe report is at the bottom of the list.

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,988

Yes,  you can target them and right click their portrait.  Then report and select Botting from the list.

I've been very disappointed in their reactions though.  A camp was full of bots last night.  At least 7-8.  I reported every last one of them.  This morning.  Same camp... 5 of those botters are there joined by another 4-5.

Very, VERY disappointed.  It would take all of 5 minutes for someone to clear them out.  What happened to all the tough talk at launch about banning botters?

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by Slapshot1188

Yes,  you can target them and right click their portrait.  Then report and select Botting from the list.

I've been very disappointed in their reactions though.  A camp was full of bots last night.  At least 7-8.  I reported every last one of them.  This morning.  Same camp... 5 of those botters are there joined by another 4-5.

Very, VERY disappointed.  It would take all of 5 minutes for someone to clear them out.  What happened to all the tough talk at launch about banning botters?

i'd get video of this and post it on the official forums

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• DarwaDarwa Member UncommonPosts: 2,181

I spent about 5 minutes trying to figure out how to do this earlier, then gave up. I'll know now. Cheers :)

• DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,203
    Seriously, some people hadn't figured it out?  Good grief... 
  • HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030

That's because it doesn't take just 5 minutes to investigate every botting report to ensure that every single one of those players are bots.  I'd imagine a fair bit of actual players get caught up in the reporting crossfire and get accidentally reported for being bots.  It may also be a bot tactic to report as many other random players for botting as possible to further convolute the process (pure speculation there, but if I were a bot, this seems like something I'd try to encode into my botting process to protect myself, the same way they rapidly send all those in game mails.) 

Or would you argue it's better for Anet to accidentially ban a few innocent players in the name of immediately eliminating all bots? 

Once this kind of indiscriminant banning begins, you'd have players trolling other players by reporting them for botting.  All kinds of bad precedents. 

• Impulse47Impulse47 Member UncommonPosts: 159
    Homitu, that is the dumbest post I have read in a while. It is so easy to tell a bot from a normal player I don't even know what to say...
  • HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030
    Originally posted by Impulse47
    Homitu, that is the dumbest post I have read in a while. It is so easy to tell a bot from a normal player I don't even know what to say...

Except that if you read map chat in game, you'll find many players who were suprised to hear that groups they had recently passed by (or even tagged along with for a little while) are later identified by other players as bots.  You'll read several accounts of player struggles with bot/player disambiguation on the official GW2 forums: https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/game/gw2/On-Botting-and-What-We-re-Doing-About-It

Some are obvious, yes.  Others not so much, especially in GW2 where players naturally congregate and run along together all the time.  Many bots even seem to have guild tags.  There's no doubt in my mind that in the cluster zerg of DEs (and frequently repeated event areas are spots many bots camp), real players have accidentally been reported as bots at one time or another.

Don't be so naive as to think everyone's perception is infallible.   

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    If you right click their portrait or name in chat there should be a list and I believe report is at the bottom of the list.

I ran into one today who was teleporting and had an unclickable portrait. It seems they have now hacked that as well.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED