Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Glass Half Full or Half Empty

mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430

i've seen a lot of threads about how the MMO industry is one MMO shy of shutting down everything.  Is this the majority opinion. Stand up and be counted.  Do you believe the glass is half full and that the industry is pretty good and has at least a reasonably bright future, or are you a half empty kinda person who things the industry is pretty much sucking and will continue to suck.

I for one am a half full kinda guy, and think the industry is doing well.  There are a lot of interesting MMOs coming out, that I am looking forward to.  Repopulation, DF 2, and a couple of others.  As far as the current crop of games is concerned, I think there are a lot of choices for people, and if someone doesn't like one or more MMOs, there should be one out there that can tide them over.  

Of course this doesn't take into account the 'Nothing is good crowd.'  Who are still vocal on the forums and yet say they hate everything.  Strange. 

I self identify as a monkey.

Comments

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230
    If not the majority the doom 'n' gloom posters sure are vocal atleast.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• YakkinYakkin Member Posts: 919

MMOs are going through what platformers went through in the 90s and what FPS games are going to go through eventually. It's the big thing, and then it will die down and all the lesser ones will be lost in the depths of the internet (assuming the Spectrum Crunch doesn't kill it first). And then the industry moves onto the next big thing and we'll eventually see a retro/revival of the MMO genre aimed at recreating whatever the MMO was about...

Or something like that.

• VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601
    The glass is at 50% capacity.  :)
    Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
  • DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    Originally posted by Quirhid
    If not the majority the doom 'n' gloom posters sure are vocal atleast.

They have a good reason to be considering a long long string of failed AAA MMOs over the last 8 years. Declining populations, server merges.

It depends on your standpoint. The casual WoW Clone MMORPGs are in a bad way, and so the glass is half full for those of us who are a fan of real/classic MMORPGs and think they may make a comeback.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    Screw the glass, just pass me the bottle.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601
    How old does an MMO have to be before it is considered a classic, or traditional?
    Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
  • Superman0XSuperman0X Member RarePosts: 2,292

I think that the industry is doing very well...

I also think that there are going to be a large number of games closing.

At this time, the situation is very CUSTOMER friendly. The best it has been since the early 80s with consoles.... just before the crash. There are way too many products, that are not really different. They are all competing in the same space, and there is a race to the lowest cost (0). This isnt going to end well for many companies.

• DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,203
    None of your choices.  Whichever way you look at it, there's more glass than required.
  • mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    Originally posted by Superman0X

I think that the industry is doing very well...

I also think that there are going to be a large number of games closing.

At this time, the situation is very CUSTOMER friendly. The best it has been since the early 80s with consoles.... just before the crash. There are way too many products, that are not really different. They are all competing in the same space, and there is a race to the lowest cost (0). This isnt going to end well for many companies.

Some games closing isn't necessarily a bad thing for the industry.  It's like forests.  You have to let forest fires happen every so often, so that it makes room for newer growth.  I think it might be the same for the MMO industry, cull it a bit, and give some new growth in.  Of course it sucks for those trees that get burnt, but good for the forest.

I self identify as a monkey.

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005
    Originally posted by mgilbrtsn

Some games closing isn't necessarily a bad thing for the industry.  It's like forests.  You have to let forest fires happen every so often, so that it makes room for newer growth.  I think it might be the same for the MMO industry, cull it a bit, and give some new growth in.  Of course it sucks for those trees that get burnt, but good for the forest.

I start to understand those people who like to watch world burn.  ;p

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521

Half full

You either want the "WoW cloning" to stop or you don't.  What is going on right now has to happen in order for new concepts to come out IMO.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,739
         I think MMOs have been in a lull for awhile, but it does sound like there are some good games coming....For too long it was one WoW clone after another, but I think this next year we will ahve some solid variety to break the trend.
  • GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657

About to be empty. And then refilled. And emptied. And...

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • L0C0ManL0C0Man Member UncommonPosts: 1,065
    It's neither half full nor half empty, is exactly at 50% capacity.. :)

What can men do against such reckless hate?

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    Originally posted by VengeSunsoar
    How old does an MMO have to be before it is considered a classic, or traditional?

Pre-2004. Aka, 1997-2004, MMO Golden Age.

• phantomghostphantomghost Member UncommonPosts: 738

I think the industry is doing kind of sucky.

I am more of a glass full kind of guy.  Ex. Half water, half air.

• mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770
    Originally posted by VengeSunsoar
    The glass is at 50% capacity.  :)

I like this answer.

Looks like OP's attempt for people that see the MMO industry of today but know how it could have been better because of it's past to admit to being pessimistic didn't work after all.

We can be realists but be hopeful too, ya know.

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

No clue...

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• worldalphaworldalpha Member Posts: 403
    The glass better be half full, on the verge of my first release.

Thanks,
    Mike
    Working on Social Strategy MMORTS (now Launched!) http://www.worldalpha.com