Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Democratic candidate criticized for playing MMO.

CalmOceansCalmOceans Member UncommonPosts: 2,437

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/04/world-of-warcraft-colleen-lachowicz_n_1939720.html?utm_hp_ref=elections-2012

"The Maine Republican Party is attacking a Democratic candidate for State Senate over her "time-consuming double life" as a player of World of Warcraft.

Colleen Lachowicz is running as a Democratic State Senate candidate in Waterville, Maine. David Sorensen, the communications director for the local GOP, said, "Today, Colleen is playing at level 85 -- the highest level one can attain. Studies have found that the average World of Warcraft gamer is 28 and spends 22.7 hours per week playing."

"Her character in the game is called 'Santiaga,' an Orc Assassin Rogue, and Lachowicz lives vicariously through her, making comments about World of Warcraft and other topics on the liberal blog, The Daily Kos," said Sorensen. The Maine GOP rounded up her comments on the site.

So I’m a level 68 orc rogue girl. That means I stab things ... a lot. Who would have thought that a peace-lovin’, social worker and democrat would enjoy that?!"
"Yes, I am seriously slacking off at work today. And I called my congresswoman’s office today. And told them I would probably be calling everyday."
"I spent my day leveling my alt -- an undead warlock…"
"I’m lazy, remember?"
"Now if you’ll excuse me, I may have to go and hunt down Grover Norquist and drown him in my bath tub."
"Or my dream from election season last year where John McCain sat at my childhood dining room table and I reamed him a new a**hole about Sarah Palin."

Colleen Lachowicz responded to the release in a statement. “I think it's weird that I'm being targeted for playing online games. Apparently I'm in good company since there are 183 million other Americans who also enjoy online games. What's next? Will I be ostracized for playing Angry Birds or Words with Friends? If so, guilty as charged!" she said."

Comments

• AxiosImmortalAxiosImmortal Member UncommonPosts: 645
    lol, that is just ridiculous. It is just as bad as being racist.

Looking at: The Repopulation
    Preordering: None
    Playing: Random Games

• aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387

I think her reaction should be a lot stronger than this.

What a person does in their free time (as long as it is not illegal) is really nobody's business.

• itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999

i've heard maine being called a battleground state, but i didnt realize the battleground was warsong gulch!!

i hope this candidate wins.  honestly playing games is nothing to be ashamed of and CERTAINLY nothing to be attacked for.  i dont like to be very political at all but these attacks sure seem like fearmongering to the religious folks to me.

I wonder howmany other pols play MMO and dont say anything about it.  I know i was shocked when i learned that Vile Rat, who i have fought against for months in eve was an honest to god big wig in the american embassy! (rip man.)  I could see republicans and democrats playing in the "red vs blue" ongoing wars in eve.  i mean, given the name and all.

Itch

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387

*Deleted Double post :(

• uofa13luofa13l Member Posts: 29
    I think it is a valid point. I personally enjoy mmorpg games but i am also not running for a position that typically tries to tell ppl how to live their lives.
  • TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575

What kind of silly person spends hours of their day playing some online game or blogging on some stupid game forum.

....oh wait....

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

Crap, there go my chances for Mayor!

EDIT: Oh and I Love how they show a picture of Dawn of War with the World of Warcraft logo tacked to it lol

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    Originally posted by Jonoku

Not really, I judge someone all the time for playing such a bad game.

• TheBigDRCTheBigDRC Member Posts: 162

That's right, politicians aren't allowed have fun. image

Forget the other, bigger, issues going on, we gotta focus on someone playing a video game. Waste of time I say.

So what if she plays a MMO? Everyone has to have some fun in their life. Besides it's not like politicians actually do any work. This way she has time to play the game. image

You know what's fun about chaos? I do, but I won't tell.

• DakirnDakirn Member UncommonPosts: 372

So.. they're fine belittling her for playing WoW.

Someone should point out the other famous, lazy gamer in the news lately... who was it.. hmm.. oh right...

Vile Rat from EvE.

Sean Smith... an Air Force Veteran who also "wasted time" playing online games.  Sadly he wasn't wasting enough time because he died on the attack on the U.S. Consulate in Libya.

[mod edit]

• Johnie-MarzJohnie-Marz Member UncommonPosts: 865
    Originally posted by DavisFlight

Not really, I judge someone all the time for playing such a bad game.

Plus, people should be judged by the content of their character... Horde, really?

• VicodinTacoVicodinTaco Member UncommonPosts: 804
    David Sorensen is a noob.  If he want's to attack gamers and friggin troll like a hater, he should come over here to mmoprg.com and learn from the pros.
  • IchmenIchmen Member UncommonPosts: 1,228
    Originally posted by Eir_S

EDIT: Oh and I Love how they show a picture of Dawn of War with the World of Warcraft logo tacked to it lol

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFK if DoW was WoW id totally be playing it ROFL better graphics and smashy smashy things would be so much more enjoyable with vanilla marines or orks ROFL....

love idiots who google game pictures and tack other game names to it lolol

• SirBalinSirBalin Member UncommonPosts: 1,300
    Originally posted by itchmon

i've heard maine being called a battleground state, but i didnt realize the battleground was warsong gulch!!

i hope this candidate wins.  honestly playing games is nothing to be ashamed of and CERTAINLY nothing to be attacked for.  i dont like to be very political at all but these attacks sure seem like fearmongering to the religious folks to me.

I wonder howmany other pols play MMO and dont say anything about it.  I know i was shocked when i learned that Vile Rat, who i have fought against for months in eve was an honest to god big wig in the american embassy! (rip man.)  I could see republicans and democrats playing in the "red vs blue" ongoing wars in eve.  i mean, given the name and all.

Itch

Big+1

Incognito
    www.incognito-gaming.us
    "You're either with us or against us"

• Johnie-MarzJohnie-Marz Member UncommonPosts: 865
    Originally posted by Torvaldr
    He is probably a closet alliance noob and is all butthurt because she ganked the hell out of him.  Since he can't cry on the forums he'll make it personal.  What a childish loser.

Naw, he is probably an old school MMO'r, you know they will attack people who play WoW about anything.

• william0532william0532 Member Posts: 251

This is by far, the most rediculous thing I've read in a forum, ever.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Nah, being a gamer is a choice, genetics isnt.

But it still is really silly, after so many years of computers and so many millions of gamers complaining that a politician is a gamer is counterproductive. We have votes as well you know (well, I dont have in US myself but I have at home).

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435

Well its pretty obvious to me, GOP supports Alliance and this politician has the nerve to openly state she plays for the horde.

No wonder they've come down hard on her. image

On a more serious side, playing MMO's is in fact looked down on,  not only in politics but industry as well.  Never let on to a prospective employer that you play MMO's, there are some out there who will blacklist you for it. 

No, its not fair or right, but its a fact of life, and in today's competitive job market no reason to let yourself get disqualified for such reasons.

BTW, in all fairness companies do have a reason to be afraid sometimes, we had a middle age manager in my dept who discovered WOW a few years ago and it wasn't too long before she was calling in sick and missing time because she was too busy playing WOW.  (even dumb enough to tell other people why she was calling in)

She even was caught playing WOW on the office computers on more than one occasion (since she was a test manager she had one of the few unmonitored cable connections we have floating around) and she really gave online game players a bad name in our group.  (Of course she eventually was encouraged to leave the firm)

I tell very few people at work that I play EVE, only if I'm sure they are fellow gamers by starting the conversation first.  But we all keep it on the down low, sort of like our own secret society. image

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951
    Originally posted by Kyleran

Well its pretty obvious to me, GOP supports Alliance and this politician has the nerve to openly state she plays for the horde.

No wonder they've come down hard on her. image

LOL love that!

I get the same reaction in public it's like it's taboo to play mmo's or something people who don't understand look at me like i have three heads.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

Luckilly in Holland politians are not attacked based on their personal life, but based on their programs and actions.

Tough i can clearly see a trend of personal attacks like this floating over to european politics. 

I think thats bad,  

Unless its illegal, politians have a right to do in their personal life whatever they want. As all other same people are allowed too.  The political system in the US is sick, and the media and most people are chearing towards it as if it are old roman Gladiators battling till the death..

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• SlickShoesSlickShoes Member UncommonPosts: 1,019

Her gear is dire, so she can't be spending that much time playing at all, needs more achievement points too. Also if you look at her armory the most recent stuff she has been doing in game is the HIDEOUSLY OFFENSIVE TASK OF ..............

Fishing.

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035
    Originally posted by Eir_S

And mine for City Dog Catcher. :-/

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • RoxtarrRoxtarr Member CommonPosts: 1,122
    Plenty of gamers are right of center, including myself.  However I cannot deny how ignorant the campaign against this woman is.  

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

• JemcrystalJemcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 1,983
    Oh no!  A candidate criticized.  How could that have ever happened?

• JerYnkFanJerYnkFan Member UncommonPosts: 342
    Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Originally posted by Ramonski7
    Is he trying to say playing online games in a negative thing? If so, does he count political games as part of that equation? Cause the game he's playing online stinks to high heaven.

lol, Now that is insightful.  He's the same type that demonized D&D when I was a kid and worried about backmasking in record albums (yeah I'm that old).

Those were the good ole days!  Long live the PMRC!

This discussion has been closed.