Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is Bethesda re-building Bioware Studios?

ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194

If that is the case that's a big kick in the nuts for EA.

Think about it.

EA bought Bioware for a ton of money, not only they bought the brand but they thought they bought the services of some the most talented  game professional in the business.

Now that some of those talented people and most of Bioware founders have gone to work for Bethesda (the new Battlecry Studios), EA is left with a worthless shell of what were once one of the biggest name in the gaming industry.

I cannot think of a worst scenario for a business when your most talented people go to work for the competition.

I am amazed that Riccitiello is still boss of EA after this blow for the company, that guy is clueless.

Anyway do you think it is positive that  2 of the biggest teams in the RPG gaming industry now work under the same umbrella?

Or do you think that might undermine the quality of future Bethesda and Battlecry (Bioware) games.

I personally believe that Zenimax Media (their parent company), will give the 2 Studios complete freedom  to do what it takes to create excellent games.

So I am positive and happy that Bioware finally left EA.

Now let's see Baldur's Gate 3 or Fallout Online pls :)

Comments

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

Bioware is well known and loved for single player crpg's right?

Now this is what Bethseda is doing in according to BattleCry Studios:

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/10/04/bethesdas-new-battlecry-studios-looking-for-f2p-experts/

If you are hoping for new Bioware producing new games similar to Baldur's Gates, Kotors or even Mass Effect(s) then I think that will not happen.

• BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821
    Originally posted by fenistil

Bioware is well known and loved for single player crpg's right?

Now this is what Bethseda is doing in according to BattleCry Studios:

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/10/04/bethesdas-new-battlecry-studios-looking-for-f2p-experts/

If you are hoping for new Bioware producing new games similar to Baldur's Gates, Kotors or even Mass Effect(s) then I think that will not happen.

Yeah, I have to agree. Just from the job listings alone on the new company's website it's pretty obvious that they are building a team to make either online multiplayer games or massively multiplayer games. The job descriptions they are looking for wouldn't fit with the Bioware single player games of the past. This will be something new. A lot of speculation is going into that this is to dedicate a full time team to a Fallout MMO now that they have the rights which would make sense. After all why would they go though so much litigation and finally paying out two million to Interplay to get them if they don't intend to use them? My money right now is this is to dedicate an entire division of the company (Battlecry) to the production and later the maintanence of a Fallout based MMO.

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    well it would follow a trend if you look at all the ex Mythic and Origin people working for bethseda
  • SiderasSideras Member Posts: 231
    Bioware Austin... Isn't that like primarily the rotten shell of Mythic? Hardly Bioware tbh. They are dead, for real, deal with it.
  • ApraxisApraxis Member UncommonPosts: 1,518

First of all EA did this thing all the time..  and always the talented ppl left after some short time.

But.. we wont see Baldurs Gate 3.. that is now under EA licence. ;)

That is also the reason we never saw an Ultima.. and so on.

• Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686

Also:

The advertisements also suggest some sort of console release, as Bethesda notes that "console experience -- preferably next generation (PS3, Xbox 360)" is preferred.

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

• AxiosImmortalAxiosImmortal Member UncommonPosts: 645
    All the games made by old bioware is all licensed to EA, you can't make a baldur's gate 3 or a new mass effect when your on a tottally different company or studio. There is going to be a new IP being made possibly of RPGs from Battlecry.

Looking at: The Repopulation
    Preordering: None
    Playing: Random Games

• revy66revy66 Member Posts: 464
    Originally posted by Sevenstar61

Also:

The advertisements also suggest some sort of console release, as Bethesda notes that "console experience -- preferably next generation (PS3, Xbox 360)" is preferred.

That's good news. They might make singleplayer games as well.

• aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387
    I think there might be potential ideological conflicts between personalities that might need to work out - as Bioware has always been known to make story-driven but less open-world rpgs whereas Bethesda makes more open-world rpgs.
    Originally posted by Brenelael

Yeah, I have to agree. Just from the job listings alone on the new company's website it's pretty obvious that they are building a team to make either online multiplayer games or massively multiplayer games. The job descriptions they are looking for wouldn't fit with the Bioware single player games of the past. This will be something new. A lot of speculation is going into that this is to dedicate a full time team to a Fallout MMO now that they have the rights which would make sense. After all why would they go though so much litigation and finally paying out two million to Interplay to get them if they don't intend to use them? My money right now is this is to dedicate an entire division of the company (Battlecry) to the production and later the maintanence of a Fallout based MMO.

Bren

Yeah.  Propably Fallout yeah.  I would not be surprised if they would try to produce in example mobile mmo or console one. They don't seem to have strong footing in this business and it is new trendy thing to do.

Besides they actually openly state that, go to "Monetization Designer job offer"

- "develop, optimize, and tune monetization features within our upcoming online game."

Also it will be f2p or freemium game or at least cash-shopped from the start.

- "Manage pricing of virtual goods and balance free vs. paid currency in the game economy"

- "Design game features that monetize and re-engage players"

- "Drive new initiatives for monetizing the customer base".

No big surprises here though still little disappointed. Oh well I will skip this game preserving my great Fallout 1 & 2 memories and won't stain them with some kind of cash shop fallout world lol

Anyway - no It won't be Bioware reincarnation.  This studio is not meant to make single player rpg's.

• taziartaziar Member Posts: 52

Bioware and Bethseda couldn't be more different in their approach.  Bioware is character and plot driven, with a crafted feel.  Bethseda is open world and huge but filled with mass produced quests.  I don't see them bringing back the glory of Bioware.

That said, there is a kickstarter for an RPG by Obsidian that is the closest we will get to pre-EA bioware games.  Project Eternity on kickstarter.

You might see bg3 as some lame fps - the syndicate reboot or some lame pay to win browser game - the c&c reboot.
    There's several dev houses fall under the zenimax / bethseda empire

Like Id
    Those guys making dishonoured
    The mmo division
    Etc..
  • adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148
    Originally posted by taziar

Bioware and Bethseda couldn't be more different in their approach.  Bioware is character and plot driven, with a crafted feel.  Bethseda is open world and huge but filled with mass produced quests.  I don't see them bringing back the glory of Bioware.

That said, there is a kickstarter for an RPG by Obsidian that is the closest we will get to pre-EA bioware games.  Project Eternity on kickstarter.

mass produced quests?  either you don't know what you are saying or have no idea what a bethesda rpg is like, there's nothing remotely mass produced about their quests.

Originally posted by taziar

Actually Project:Obsidian seem to target more games like BG's,, Torment, Fallout 1&2, Arcanum or NWN. 

So that would be very early Bioware as most  Bioware games like - Kotors, Jade Empire, Mass Effects and even DA (esp. DA2) were difftent sort of games than early Bioware and Black Isle - isometic games like Baldur.   Similar but difftent,  more cinematic, more personalized experience, with much heavier cutscenes and especially more streamlined - less lore, less world, less tacitc, less world shwoing / building and less free-roaming  than Baldurs or Fallouts.

I agree though - Project : Eternity will be close to early Bioware / Black-Isle / Troika - at least judging from kickstarter descriptions and promises/

• Dward127Dward127 Member Posts: 46
    wont be long before EA trys to buy bethesda and destroy that company to. EA is like  a swarm of locust destroying every game company they eat-buy.
  • DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    Considering the last couple Bioware games and the last 2 Elderscrolls games have largely been uninspired garbage... who gives a shit?
  • defector1968defector1968 Member UncommonPosts: 469
    Originally posted by Dward127
    wont be long before EA trys to buy bethesda and destroy that company to. EA is like  a swarm of locust destroying every game company they eat-buy.

we just hope Bethesda not fall into this trap

fan of SWG, XCOM, Defiance, Global Agenda, Need For Speed, all Star Wars single player games. And waiting the darn STAR CITIZEN