Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will GW2 hold its own competing with MOP?

I am still playing GW2, I dont have a whole lot but it is a much better game compared to SWTOR, Rift or Tera.   I have played more GW2 than any of those games combined.   I also started playing wow again and so much has changed since I last played over 2 years ago.  Not sure on the whole panda thing but anyway,  I wonder how will GW2 be doing in a year in comparison to MOP.    Anyone have any thoughts on the subject?

Tbe Repopulation will be what SWTOR shouldve been.

Comments

• FlawSGIFlawSGI Member UncommonPosts: 1,379

It'll be tough to tell because one bases off of sales and retention and the other off of sales and CS income. I think in a year we will continue to see threads claiming Xfire is the best tool to use to predict trends and then apply them to both games like it is a certainty.

For me personally, I expect to see people get bored of MOP in a short amount of time due to my own personal experiences with this issue, as well as some of the decisions they made with this latest expansion. I don't claim to know, only what I expect based off of my personal experiences with the game. The game is pretty dated and I feel they have homogenized the classes to a point that they lose a lot of identity which was one of the things I used to enjoy the most, class uniqueness.

As far as GW2, I don't really know because I have yet to see how soon they add stuff to the game to have an opinion if the B2P model is affective. I can say that they have been slow in thier fixes and not very good at providing good information to their playerbase. Since it isn't a sub game it isn't in as much competition as other games because it defines it's success in differnt ways rather than sub numbers. I think it will hold it's own, it just won't be easy to quantify it's success due to vague retention and no easy way to know if it's profitable. Guess we'll have to wait and see how much extra content our money is buying.

RIP Jimmy "The Rev" Sullivan and Paul Gray.

• dageezadageeza Member Posts: 578
    We know what direction WoW is going its the same game it always was with tinsy little twists here and there added in but GW2 we have no idea other than anet is waging war on its playerbase with diminishing returns and the bots are running wild and free..

Playing GW2..

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192

I think a lot of people will be playing both.

why have one when nothings stopping u from having 2?

• amadeuzamadeuz Member Posts: 73

I think GW2 will try to be the co-exist game with WoW rather than take down it. With B2P model and Horizontal progrssion aspect in the game, GW2 players can take a break from GW2, and play other games, then get back to GW2 when they have patch updates in anytime. In addition, GW2 and WoW is really different games, so many players can have 2 different experiences from both games.

I predict that GW2 will grow eventually and grab more players after ANet fix the issues, improve the game, and add more endgame contents in the future.

In the mean time, WoW will get older but sure they still have the most hugh fanbase playing the game, but it will not grow any bigger.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

MOP?

When you look at the numbers allready more people in Western Europe and the US have a copy of GW2 then a copy of MOP.  I dont think many more will return to MOP, espescially not GW2 players. And if they return, they will mostly be irritated by the age of WoW that is clearly showing these days.

GW2 is the future for most MMO gamers while WoW is more and more turning intoo a game of the past.  Espescially since GW2 is very casual friendly, WoW will not be to attractive to these players.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• bubalubabubaluba Member Posts: 434
    I have my doubts that gw2 have any impact on wow. In fact you will never know because you can't see real numbers of players in games like gw2. What i know from my expirience is that most of my guild mates in wow still play gw2 but  very casual. But what i can see from their conversation is that this guys do not use at all gw2 cash shop items so i don't believe that ANet would earn even half of money as Blizzard do with sub in wow. And you don't need to pay sub in gw2 so why you even ask that question? I have over 30 f2p mmo's installed on my hd but i rarely play them
  • krakra70krakra70 Member Posts: 122

All you need to do is look at the Xfire numbers. GW2 has already lost about half its population even before MoP was released. 

Combine that with the fact that MoP is WoW's best expansion and you get your answer.

• Shroom_MageShroom_Mage Member UncommonPosts: 863

Originally posted by krakra70
    Combine that with the fact that MoP is WoW's best expansion and you get your answer.

Combine that with the fact that MoP is WoW's best expansion

the fact that MoP is WoW's best expansion

MoP is WoW's best expansion
    Pfffffhahahahaha.

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -Dr. Seuss

• umie214umie214 Member Posts: 123
    This has been explained before ad nauseum. Xfire numbers simply don't represent most of gw2's population. Mop has done nothing to gw2'a server pops which are as high now as they were on release.

If you like watching xfire you'll notice wow's hours steadily dropping already. In 2 months the two games will probably be equal even though xfire does not represent most of gw2's players. The difference? Anet will be rolling out much more frequent content updates once the bugs are fixed.
  • DjildjameshDjildjamesh Member UncommonPosts: 406

All you need to do is look at the Xfire numbers. GW2 has already lost about half its population even before MoP was released. 

Becasue Xfire is awesomesauce

Because your opinion is a fact!

i knew it!

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903

GW2 has a lot of issues to deal with in terms of bots and players leaving.  They also need to announce and deliver new content for players.  I get the impression that gem sales aren't what they were hoping but that's pure conjecture.

Their goal seemed to be to beat WOW.  My guess is they simply meant in box sales.  In the long run they may be able to beat MoP in box sales but it will be a while and by then WOW will have another expansion out.

They tried a new paradigm with GW2, but I don't think it's really taken off like they had hoped.  I'm really curious to hear what their plan is for the next 12 months.

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

MOP?

When you look at the numbers allready more people in Western Europe and the US have a copy of GW2 then a copy of MOP. 

We don't have any reliable numbers regarding MoP sales.  The only numbers I've heard were box sales with zero data on digital sales.

• nsignificnsignific Member Posts: 212
    Originally posted by tank017

Maybe if you're unemployed, whereas I barely have time for one and made damn sure it's the one that offers me what I crave the most - pvp.

• nsignificnsignific Member Posts: 212
    Originally posted by FrodoFragins
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

MOP?

When you look at the numbers allready more people in Western Europe and the US have a copy of GW2 then a copy of MOP. 

We don't have any reliable numbers regarding MoP sales.  The only numbers I've heard were box sales with zero data on digital sales.

And those box sales were an estimate, based on nothing in particular - at least nothing that was disclosed.

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

Well, GW2 has a rather limited amount of PvE content. The game's strength is really in WvW or PvP in general. Since this is mostly a B2P title, one can forgive the lack of long term PvE content (especially considering that this issue plagued mmorpgs with subscription), but you can't keep all the players that bought the game occuppied when the WvW can only hold 2000 per 3 servers.

WoW may not have as good structured PvP, but at least you could pick a PvP server and get the thrills of PvP from there. Prime time non weekend WvW means waiting for at least 30 mins before entering a battleground, and that's on the average ranked servers.

• viper1987viper1987 Member UncommonPosts: 20

already got bored gw2 was alright. I think wow is better also i think im just getting tired of mmos 

gw2 didnt feel like it had any kind of community just a zerg zerg zerg even in wvwvw

also i not a wow fanboi quit that game long ago same reason i dont play cod its just the same thing over and over 

• GoldenArrowGoldenArrow Member UncommonPosts: 1,186

WoW is a mmorpg.

GW2 is a "mmorpg".

Can't compare these two.

• RaysheRayshe Member UncommonPosts: 1,279
    Funny enough TSW numbers grew 2 days after MOP's release. something tells me GW2 will have the same growth. Sorry but i've said it earlier. All the people that left WoW wont be coming back because another expanison is released. It actually looks like WoW players are being Poached by the newer games.

Because i can.
    I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.
    Logic every gamers worst enemy.

• umie214umie214 Member Posts: 123
    Wvw on its own is more interesting than anything wow has ever offered.
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by umie214
    This has been explained before ad nauseum. Xfire numbers simply don't represent most of gw2's population. Mop has done nothing to gw2'a server pops which are as high now as they were on release.

If you like watching xfire you'll notice wow's hours steadily dropping already. In 2 months the two games will probably be equal even though xfire does not represent most of gw2's players. The difference? Anet will be rolling out much more frequent content updates once the bugs are fixed.

Xfire doesnt measure either games very well. And both games first 2 weeks are really missleading anyways since people actually take time off from work and school to play the release they have waited for even if the rest of the numbers were correct.

Xfire is useful to track large long term trends so if you look on 3 or 6 months and only count 20% steps then you do get some numbers on one game but you cant compare different games since some communities prefer Xfire while others uses vent or similar programs.

I do however think GW2 have impacted MOPs sales numbers, clearly they were lower than Cata or Blizzard would have boasted about them by now but the question is how much. And then of course if someone play GW2 instead of MOP, is it because he think GW2 is a better game or just because it is B2P?

If GW2 will have a long term effect of Wow or not is really still anybodys guess, and measuring it is hard because more than a few players actually play both and that messes up any measurement.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    They're not competing.

What's the main things in wow - raiding and loot progression. - gw2 has neither

What's the main things in gw2 - large scale persistent pvp, large scale outdoor pve - wow has neither

They are games for different types of players.

Rift competes with wow though.

And planetside 2 will compete with gw2 in the pvp aspect.
  • gothagotha Member UncommonPosts: 1,074
    Originally posted by Loke666
    Originally posted by umie214

Xfire doesnt measure either games very well. And both games first 2 weeks are really missleading anyways since people actually take time off from work and school to play the release they have waited for even if the rest of the numbers were correct.

Xfire is useful to track large long term trends so if you look on 3 or 6 months and only count 20% steps then you do get some numbers on one game but you cant compare different games since some communities prefer Xfire while others uses vent or similar programs.

I do however think GW2 have impacted MOPs sales numbers, clearly they were lower than Cata or Blizzard would have boasted about them by now but the question is how much. And then of course if someone play GW2 instead of MOP, is it because he think GW2 is a better game or just because it is B2P?

If GW2 will have a long term effect of Wow or not is really still anybodys guess, and measuring it is hard because more than a few players actually play both and that messes up any measurement.

I am not sure how good Xfire would be for long term usage.  It seems to me Xfire users would be a lot more likely to be game hoppers and would likely show a decline greater than the general population.  They also seem like they would be less likely to buy a game in the latter stages than the general population.  

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    I would agree Rift is the competitor here. For e.g The benefit I have got from playing gw2 is that I am getting a nice solid break from the trinity, and now I'm starting to turn it on its head a bit and fancy playing gw2 with a good trinity game that I can play on the side. I have a choice return to wow and play out mop or wait for rift expansion. Latter sounds a bit fresher and much bigger so ye that's where the competition lies IMO. Pity about TSW I had hopes for that one :(

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• faxnadufaxnadu Member UncommonPosts: 940
    Originally posted by tank017

for exampe i play both but past week i find myself enjoying playing the monk more than logging in gw2, and good thing this is that i can always return to play gw2 since it was one buy go! i play wow and always have because of lore not because of graphics and such. it is also better experience if you are in a nice guild.

• Cod_EyeCod_Eye Member UncommonPosts: 1,016
    I don't really believe Xfire can be used as a good indicator on trends, based on the users being mainly teens, and that a good proportion of GW2 users are adults, compared to WoW users being children and adolescent girls.