Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Review] Guild Wars 2: Raising the Bar

Comments

• buckleypermbuckleyperm Member Posts: 13

Good review.

From where i'm sitting i think the social score was a bit high. More like 7...

The rest is... debatable.

I've had a lot of fun already and I already got 60 dollars of playtime out of it. So i'll be logging back in shortly....

• QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,795
    I rate gW2 slightly lower and I almost can't stand personal storyline as a whole I think it is an incredible game and a new benchmark by which new mmos will be judged.
  • WolvardsWolvards Member Posts: 650
    Originally posted by Randayn
    Originally posted by abeltensor

with a broken dungeon system and no distinguishable class system, a hidden quest system and absolutely no end game this game doesnt deserve any of the praise its getting.  It basically is the game that will break the genre of the MMORPG and turn serious gamers away.  In-fact, i think MMOs died when WoW came out and every mmo after that decided to make their content all quest based.  

Back in the days of real MMOs where you invested 1000s of hours into your character and went on quests that were for unique items most of which sucked in retrospect but where fun to have because you could say i got that by competing this mammoth quest that involved talking to No NPCs.  Instead these games no supplement those unique items with achievements which don’t really matter either way.  GW2 isn’t innovative, Its ambitious but that about it.   The idea of breaking the Holy Trinity is quite a good one, but the way it was executed was horrible.  The idea of level scaling was a good one, but in the game it was horrible.  Etc etc.  There so much in this game that sounds good on paper but really turns out to be a bad decision.  

For any one who was into the old school MMOs, the "Hard-core" crowd this review is an insult and a horrifying look into what is supposedly considered to be innovative in this genera. 

THIS TIMES 1,000,000

It is a complete insult.  Now we know that people prefer generic and stupid over thought provoking and complex.  Wonderful....another beautiful creation destroyed by the "Pop Culture"...

Then why don't one of you two, oh wise grandmasters of MMORPGs, give us an example so profoundly amazing, that everyone that played old-school MMOs would say, "YES! THAT is INNOVATION!".

Because i'm pretty sure opinions vary regardless of what time period you started playing.

The "Youtube Pro": Someone who watches video's on said subject, and obviously has a full understanding of what is being said about such subject.

• NaeviusNaevius Member UncommonPosts: 334

Not a perfect game, but still the best MMO I've ever played in most respects. And people who claim it isn't innovative don't understand the meaning of the word. (They may not like the innovations, but should admit they exist.)

I'll be interested to see what the game looks like in a year, and what gets introduced in the first expansion. GW1 was good about incorporating player feedback, so I think GW2 will just get better.

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    Originally posted by Wolvards

with a broken dungeon system and no distinguishable class system, a hidden quest system and absolutely no end game this game doesnt deserve any of the praise its getting.  It basically is the game that will break the genre of the MMORPG and turn serious gamers away.  In-fact, i think MMOs died when WoW came out and every mmo after that decided to make their content all quest based.  

Back in the days of real MMOs where you invested 1000s of hours into your character and went on quests that were for unique items most of which sucked in retrospect but where fun to have because you could say i got that by competing this mammoth quest that involved talking to No NPCs.  Instead these games no supplement those unique items with achievements which don’t really matter either way.  GW2 isn’t innovative, Its ambitious but that about it.   The idea of breaking the Holy Trinity is quite a good one, but the way it was executed was horrible.  The idea of level scaling was a good one, but in the game it was horrible.  Etc etc.  There so much in this game that sounds good on paper but really turns out to be a bad decision.  

For any one who was into the old school MMOs, the "Hard-core" crowd this review is an insult and a horrifying look into what is supposedly considered to be innovative in this genera. 

THIS TIMES 1,000,000

It is a complete insult.  Now we know that people prefer generic and stupid over thought provoking and complex.  Wonderful....another beautiful creation destroyed by the "Pop Culture"...

Then why don't one of you two, oh wise grandmasters of MMORPGs, give us an example so profoundly amazing, that everyone that played old-school MMOs would say, "YES! THAT is INNOVATION!".

Because i'm pretty sure opinions vary regardless of what time period you started playing.

lol very true. Not only when you started playing but your likes and dislikes.

• DakirnDakirn Member UncommonPosts: 372

I'm floored by this score.. really, a 9.3? Have our expectations really gone that low for games?

Why didn't you talk about the non-existant economy and how items are selling for less than cost to make.. or how the customer service is non-existant?  The non-existant PvE game at 80 that only exists of endless Legendary grinding?

I'm sorry Bill but this review is just your initial love for the game.  Everyone I know has already quit because at 80 there's nothing to do but grind, grind, grind.

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    I would give it a 9, il go for great pvp, fun pve and grinding when I choose And what I choose rather than grinding a single raid for 6 months to get additional stat points that I will throw away a couple weeks later.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    Needs more connection between the lore/quests and the world though IMO.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904

I'll be waiting for the re-review at GW2's 6th month milestone (or whenever, much later). 

I get why people are up in arms about it. But don't you already know by now how this site handles big title releases?

• LethalityLethality Member UncommonPosts: 76

Sorry, these "pros" need explaining:

- Worthwhile crafting

- Fantastic story & dungeons

No way, in no how are either of those objectively true.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,373
    Sounds like the best game I'll never play.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Zeus.CMZeus.CM Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,788
    Originally posted by Bladestrom

That's why you need to hear what NPC are saying. Dynamic event chains are well connected.

• kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759
    Originally posted by Bladestrom

Its there for those who want it, they just made it so you didnt have to click through it all if you didnt want it.

Talking to the Heart NPCs and NPCs in and around DEs gives a lot more to the story going on there and helps tie the overall story together if you follow most of it through the game.

For anyone reading this looking to purchase the game, here's the best review I can give:

It's closer to Diablo 3 than an MMO if that helps.

• gwei1984gwei1984 Member UncommonPosts: 413

Pros:

I think this is just an insult for every descent story writer in games. Fantastic story? sorry but thats hilarious.

And dungeons? They have literally no boss mechanics and are mostly a spawn-rush fest.

I can understand many points in that review. but seriously? /facepalm

Hodor!

• kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759
    Originally posted by Lethality

For anyone reading this looking to purchase the game, here's the best review I can give:

- Lobby based

- Non-persistant

- extremely gear & stat dependant

- real money AH

- isometric view

- No PvP whatsoever

- extensive gear grinding in order to progress past X point

- 99% of stuff that drops is completely useless, including the uniques

- 100% linear with only one method of leveling

- so terrible that the staff pretty much came out and said "yeah we screwed up, we need to redo a huge portion of the game" due to pissed off fans of the series

That sounds EXACTLY like GW2. /sarcasm

• CyraelCyrael Member UncommonPosts: 239

This is the first MMORPG I would personally rate at higher than 9.0 in a long time. For me, here's my tally of the games I've enjoyed most so far:

City of Heroes: 9.4

Eve Online: 9.0

World of Warcraft: 9.1

Lord of the Rings Online Pre-Mirkwood: 8.9

Lord of the Rings Online Post-Mirkwood: 7.5

Everquest 2: 7.6

Aion: 8.5

Wakfu: 8.0

Final Fantasy XIV: 7.8

The Secret World: 8.2

Guild Wars 2: 9.3

So yeah, I agree with Bill's score. I like the game more than both Eve and WoW, but it falls just shy of utter magic that was City of Heroes before I burnt out on it (over four years paid time). Regardless, I'll be playing the game for quite a long time.

Originally posted by kaiser3282

- Lobby based

- Non-persistant

- extremely gear & stat dependant

- real money AH

- isometric view

- No PvP whatsoever

- extensive gear grinding in order to progress past X point

- 99% of stuff that drops is completely useless, including the uniques

- 100% linear with only one method of leveling

- so terrible that the staff pretty much came out and said "yeah we screwed up, we need to redo a huge portion of the game" due to pissed off fans of the series

That sounds EXACTLY like GW2. /sarcasm

It's the gameplay... hack/slash/grind and no RPG elements involved. As a matter of fact, Diablo 3 does RPG better than GW2.

It's simply not an MMORPG as people would expect.

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935
    Originally posted by gwei1984

Pros:

I think this is just an insult for every descent story writer in games. Fantastic story? sorry but thats hilarious.

And dungeons? They have literally no boss mechanics and are mostly a spawn-rush fest.

I can understand many points in that review. but seriously? /facepalm

Agree.  It's very difficult to take the review seriously.

I appreciate the time you spent on the piece, OP, but I don't see much critical analysis in this.

• raven222raven222 Member Posts: 88
    Originally posted by Dakirn

I'm floored by this score.. really, a 9.3? Have our expectations really gone that low for games?

Why didn't you talk about the non-existant economy and how items are selling for less than cost to make.. or how the customer service is non-existant?  The non-existant PvE game at 80 that only exists of endless Legendary grinding?

I'm sorry Bill but this review is just your initial love for the game.  Everyone I know has already quit because at 80 there's nothing to do but grind, grind, grind.

Grinding dungeons and BG's or whatever all day to get that new set of armor is any different to that .

U people are after gear over and over aggain to keep on subbing and u call that 'end game'.

One can only laugh at that i am sorry but that is how it is.

The same is true about raids and heroics and so on , they are just an endless gear grind ,and u all know that but still this is what end game is for u people , one can only be sad by what Blizz and all those companies have turned MMO's into.

But if this is what turns u on go on and pay them ur hard earned cash for that garbage.

Have a nice day

• LathialLathial Member UncommonPosts: 166

How could you score Social an 8 when you say yourself that  "such an openly social system somehow makes people actually socialize less."

This sounds like social should be a failing score if the system in place makes people "socialize less"

Lath

• DashiDMVDashiDMV Member Posts: 362

The bar needs to be raised?

Someone call James Cameron!

• AlotAlot Member Posts: 1,948

Originally posted by kaiser3282 Originally posted by Lethality For anyone reading this looking to purchase the game, here's the best review I can give:   It's closer to Diablo 3 than an MMO if that helps.    
    - Lobby based - Non-persistant - extremely gear & stat dependant - real money AH - isometric view - No PvP whatsoever - extensive gear grinding in order to progress past X point - 99% of stuff that drops is completely useless, including the uniques - 100% linear with only one method of leveling - so terrible that the staff pretty much came out and said "yeah we screwed up, we need to redo a huge portion of the game" due to pissed off fans of the series That sounds EXACTLY like GW2. /sarcasm  
    As a matter of fact, Diablo 3 does RPG better than GW2.

You know that it can't be called a fact, when... well... it's just your opinion?

• FlawSGIFlawSGI Member UncommonPosts: 1,379
    Originally posted by Kuppa
    Originally posted by Wolvards

THIS TIMES 1,000,000

lol very true. Not only when you started playing but your likes and dislikes.

I loved that when I read there was a review I knew what type of comments to expect from the usuals. This was one of the type I expected, just from other more vocal anti GW2 people and not a couple I don't recognize.

I have to ask if you 2 like to overdramatize much? I can't say it is an insult or a slap in the face in any way. Do I prefer generic and stupid over thought provocing and complex? No, but one has to look around and see what's actually there rather than live in nostalgia and reminisce about past MMO greatness while turning ones nose at what is in front of them. To me GW2 is a great game for what it is and does. I don't compare it to what it isn't and what it was never trying to be. I do try to keep in in the perspective that it is a themepark of sorts and compare it to the other themeparks out there. I would love to play a game that took a second job status in the amount of time invested to play. But that game isn't here so bashing other games because my dream game doesn't exist seems pointless. A genre destroyed by pop culture indeed...... lol.

It is what it is and the review seems fair, albeit a little high in the score department. But like Eir_s pointed out, the score system is flooded with mediocer games with high scores so you can't rate it lower than some of them without getting backlash from the other end of the stick. Damned if you and damned if you don't.

RIP Jimmy "The Rev" Sullivan and Paul Gray.

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,455

I totally agree with that score - which is well deserved just for having the "balls" to get away from the WoW clone model in an AAA theme park MMORPG. And it's a success.

[mod edit]

There are very few MMORPGs I'd rate above 9.0 in the 17+ years I'm playing the graphic version of that genre - and GW2 is one of them.

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !