Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Review] Guild Wars 2: Raising the Bar

Comments

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by kaiser3282
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer
    Originally posted by ggregd

This is the most negative, critical, bitchy, whiney asshat community I've ever encountered on any web site, and that's saying a lot.

This is a great game.

I'll try to summarize a consensus within this community. I know there are many who don't feel this way, but there are a lot that do.

There are people in this community who have watched this game develop. They paid close attention to everything about this game. They bought the game based on the information that was released. Also based on many write ups, many reviewettes, many videos, many commentaries, many developer interviews. After sifting through everything about GW2 that was available pre-release, they truly felt properly educated. But comparing that to their personal experience with GW2 after release, many feel the game was over hyped, over promised and under delivered on many, if not all, levels. 

That makes no sense at all. Anyone who did do the research and followed the game closely knew what to expect. Like all the people crying about lack of "endgame". Anet never claimed there was going to be some extensive gear driven endgame, in fact they stated quite the opposite (ie: the whole game is endgame) yet people still constantly complain about it as if they somehow bought a game that promised gear grind and raids like WoW.

Other ridiculous complaints that people have that they would have known about if they followed the game at all before release:

Unlocking all weapon skills early on and your progression mainly being via Traits and Utility skills.

Having locked weapon skills.

Having zones instead of a seamless world

Having instanced personal story and dungeons

Having to grind dungeons for cosmetic gear

PvP being seperate from the main PvE world

Lack of the traditional trinity

Having points marked on the map for you (vistas, hearts, POIs)

Level scaling

The fact that it isnt a sandbox

Plenty of other things that people are repeatedly making threads about or complaining in other threads about, yet any amount of common sense and research about the game would have told you that things were exactly that way.

If we go back 12 months and start going over all the threads that showed someone's research, including the poster's comments on how they interpreted their research, I think we will get a very different picture than what we all know GW2 to be now.

• bigdfhbigdfh Member UncommonPosts: 3
    well i personally agree. i think the game is good but is overhyped.i wouldn't give the scores they did.i have played alot(over 30+ mmo's) and while it's very polished and have very good gameplay/graphics but it's way too buggy(i don't care if it just came out, it still WAY too buggy compared to other games releases). and while you might say the pvp gives it longevity there are some people wanting more than just pvp at 80.personally i rated it 7.4 out of 10.no more no less.
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    ~
  • grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935

If we go back 12 months and start going over all the threads that showed someone's research, including the poster's comments on how they interpreted their research, I think we will get a very different picture than what we all know GW2 to be now.

Like..."The core gameplay will [be].....in an open world which is constantly changing."

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by grimal

Like..."The core gameplay will [be].....in an open world which is constantly changing."

which is very true for GW2.. i assume though the huge non linear zones don't fill your idea of open world and the fact that the changes aren't permanent it doesn't count as constantly changing even though it is constantly changing.

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

Originally posted by Aerowyn

which is very true for GW2.. i assume though the huge non linear zones don't fill your idea of open world and the fact that the changes aren't permanent it doesn't count as constantly changing even though it is constantly changing.

What parts are constantly changing again? Oh, you mean the phase the scripted DEs are in?  Or the occasional teleporter you can't go to?

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

What parts are constantly changing again? Oh, you mean the phase the scripted DEs are in?  Or the occasional teleporter you can't go to?

Actually yes, the scripted DEs do change the world constantly. Whether it's small changes or large it is constantly changing. Some DE's will cause a cave in and lock you out of an area, whether you like it or whether or not you feel the changes last long enough or is meaningful enough the world is constantly changing. 

try playing through a zone.. then play through the exact same zone the next day.. unlike most MMOs you will not have the same experience since you never know what portion of a DEs you will run into..  you may even miss many altogether.. i still haven't done several of the meta events as they have not been going on, on my way through that area.. like it or not things are constantrly changing and the zones are not static like other MMOs.. sure they are not as wide spread changing and evolving as they could be but still doesn't change the fact the zones are not static diorama's as most other themeparks zones. 

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• keirionkeirion Member UncommonPosts: 51

Oh, you know, the cave entrances that become blocked or unblocked, the bridges that collapse. Buildings that are completely locked up and then become available because the enemies were completely kicked out of an area.

If you're too busy trying to do hearts or go to the next thing you'll miss it a lot of the time, but there are actually quite a few major changes that take place in most regions of the map. I'd guess that 50-75% of players actually miss these things, though.

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627
    No mounts, no first person views, no sustainable game play elements.  I'd give the game a 7.5.   Good, but needs improvements. 

Originally posted by GrayGhost79

Actually yes, the scripted DEs do change the world constantly. Whether it's small changes or large it is constantly changing. Some DE's will cause a cave in and lock you out of an area, whether you like it or whether or not you feel the changes last long enough or is meaningful enough the world is constantly changing. 

Oh yeah, I forgot about that one.  You know why?  Because it wasn't that big of a deal.

When promised a constant changing world, I envisioned drastic changes...something maybe never seen before in an MMO?  As for GW2 changes, I saw stuff like that in Aion or possibly earlier.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that one.  You know why?  Because it wasn't that big of a deal.

When promised a constant changing world, I envisioned drastic changes...someone maybe never seen before in an MMO?  As for GW2 changes, I saw stuff like that in Aion or possibly earlier.

it is a HUGE deal to me and completely changes the game and is actually one of the #1 reasons I enjoy this games PVE so much more than other games... it's very differn't when you have maybe one or two events that have effects and what GW2 did and create a whole entire game around this concept

try playing through a zone.. then play through the exact same zone the next day.. unlike most MMOs you will not have the same experience since you never know what portion of a DEs you will run into..  you may even miss many altogether.. i still haven't done several of the meta events as they have not been going on, on my way through that area.. like it or not things are constantrly changing and the zones are not static like other MMOs.. sure they are not as wide spread changing and evolving as they could be but still doesn't change the fact the zones are not static diorama's as most other themeparks zones. 

I have.  I have 5 different characters and have seen some of the zones multiple times.

The changes are just not the type or scale that I envisioned they'd be when I read about them.

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

When promised a constant changing world, I envisioned drastic changes...someone maybe never seen before in an MMO?  As for GW2 changes, I saw stuff like that in Aion or possibly earlier.

Simply because they aren't how you envisioned them doesn't negate the fact that it actually is an ever changing world. You once again tried to make a false claim simply because you don't like how it's been done or not. It doesn't matter if you specifically like how it's been done, the ever changing world is present and accounted for. 

In the future simply say, "I don't feel they took the changes or ever changing world feature far enough" or "I dislike how they went about the every changing world". And then a discussion can be had. 

Simply because they aren't how you envisioned them doesn't negate the fact that it actually is an ever changing world. You once again tried to make a false claim simply because you don't like how it's been done. It doesn't matter if you specifically like how it's been done, the ever changing world is present and accounted for. 

Hold on there....I never made any statements to be taken as fact, you need to tone it down a bit there with the accusations.  I am only offering my persepective.

Second, I am just trying to illustrate that what was being talked about a year or more ago about "features" lends a lot to interpretation.

• NinjaGazNinjaGaz Member UncommonPosts: 53

I only played this for about 20 level sand I just didn't like it. Mmo's are the same thing and over over. It is crying out for REAL innovation, but nobody tries anything different. The only reason that I'm posting this is that giving this game 10 in the innovation stakes is crazy. Is this what we mean by innovation?

O

bviously some people like it, but it's rated the best and I just can't see that.

P.s. What the hell.. No paging on the comments? My iPad is grinding to a halt!

• ToferioToferio Member UncommonPosts: 1,411
    10/10 for innovation is ridiculous. This is still within same generic fantasy that falls under the same class and quest based premise, served with a different flavour. If you want high innovation, look at Minecraft, Otherland, EvE, THAT is raising the bar what multiplayer games are about. Not serving traditional WoW formula under new flavour. 
  • JayStriderJayStrider Member Posts: 1

Originally posted by DavisFlight

It's hard to take this website seriously when they give SWTOR 9.5s and Vanguard a 6, and now claim that GW2 raised the bar...

People, the bar has been up there. AC, EQ, DAoC, UO, SWG, those games raised the bar. We've been wallowing well under the bar for about 8 years now thanks to WoW and its platoon of clones. GW2 is the first AAA MMORPG in years to even come close to the old MMOs (by, go figure, reusing ideas from Dark Age of Camelot) but lets not pretend its the best there ever was. It's just the first game to actually TRY in 8 years, but that doesn't invalidate the greatness of those golden age MMORPGs.

I couldn't agree with this more.  The past decade has been boring for games.  DAOC was the last good one I played of this type.  Eve Online was a pretty good after that for me.  Otherwise, as you say, I think WoW destroyed the market of creativity.  So much of it... I waited over a decade for Diablo 3, and that just made me want to load part 2 back on my PC.  MMOGs are lost...  My friends and I played GW2 for a couple weeks.  Nothing to see here.  The fact that it's rated so high just shows how lost the market is.  Freakin depressing.

• Verbruggen564Verbruggen564 Member Posts: 1

Longevity score is a fail...  GW2 has died hard.  I suggest a rereview...  this game does not deserve top spot on the list.

also for longevity you have said in other game reviews that f2p is good but have scoffed at the pay to win cash shops in which you did not say anything bad about it here...  

FAIL.

• FlintsteenFlintsteen Member UncommonPosts: 282
    i like GW2.  i like the combatsystem.  it feels responsive and at least to me it's fun.  What i dont like is the Explorer mode dungeons.  They are just too hard for the required level even if you have nice gear. Imo the explorer modes should have been level 80 only or have been easier.  For a level 40 Group of friends even on teamspeak entering an Explorer mode dungeon is just not that fun. It's doable but considering it's level 40 content it s just too hard.  It doesn't make you want to come back for more.
  • TalemireTalemire Member UncommonPosts: 839
    8.5 at best IMO... It's good, but really not all that amazing of a game.
    Isaiah 41:10
  • Ender4Ender4 Member UncommonPosts: 2,247

7/10.

Before you jump on me that is a good review for what has been a horrible genre for years now. Very few MMORPG have deserved better than a 5/10 in the past 6 years.

The overall production values are amazing so that is where a ton of this comes from. Adding something more than just static content is a big plus even if it is just repetitive event chains.

The game is simply too easy and it rewards you for everything without any effort at all. The completely non contested content is a sad joke and downleveling you every time you go to a lower level zone is an insult. Most of the zones feel like they are copy and pasted because of this and it is rare to find a point where you feel your actual skill at playing your character matters.

On top of that the game is constantly pulling you out of the world into some sort of instance or mini game which just kills any sense of immersion in the world. The PvP is pretty much a zerg fest because of design choices they made. The dungeons don't work that well because they didn't give you the tools to support each other properly. Ultimately speaking this leads to a pretty boring gaming experience most of the time.

On top fo all that this is the least social MMORPG I've ever played. It feels more like I'm on a server with 1000 NPCs than playing an actual MMORPG. Nobody ever talks to each other and there is no real reason to group outside of dungeons.

There is so much good in this game yet a ton of design decisions killed any chance of this being an amazing game. It is way too focused on making sure everyone 'wins' and not enough on making an immersive world.

• doodphacedoodphace Member UncommonPosts: 1,858
    Holy necro batman
  • dakkuardakkuar Member Posts: 1

game is nice and all, fun when you start out

but there is hardly any real social interaction, ppl dont speak to each other freely.

dungeons and everything else that you wouldnt expect to be too repetitive, is so damn repetitive.

yeah you gonna go explore everything and try out everything, grind for something thats gonna lead you to get a legendary lol...the weapon skin farm isnt really an endgame

there is no endgame. gear is easily obtainable without a proper progression tiers. lack of reward system that has some weight is to obvious.

running headlessly in WvW following commanders tag to cap objectives and at the same time actually avoiding pvp is all there is in WvW. theres hardly pvp action on some servers besides spvp.

you dont need to work for gear or weapons that you use in sPvP, everything is unlocked just make a build, instant fun until that to gets you bored.

for me, gw2 is a fail game. it may look nice, it provides some degree of entertainment, but its not worth the money even though its relatively cheap.

im over 2k hours in game and still havent found a solid reason to stay beside doing casual spvp with a few of my RL friends.

the game is just that, a casual fun, something to kill time 

• SpudzMcKenzieSpudzMcKenzie Member Posts: 1

I've played GW2 for over a year now, the game is awesome save a few issues.   First two programmers for this huge mmorpg, no where near enough and a looming expansion that will more than test them.  PvP and PvE content is very well designed and the story lines that vary slightly between races keeps it slightly interesting once you hit Lvl 80.  What suffers significantly is the WvW environment, partially because ANET has no real policing policy and any infractions in poor gamesmanship, botting or hacking is very poorly punished and worse as with many mmorpg's the total lack of integrity among the players all but ruins that aspect of the game.  Conceptually they have it right, but until they hire enough programmers, organize and hire some game currency paid "guards" or "referees" the best part of the game for me is a huge let down.