Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Review] Guild Wars 2: Raising the Bar

Comments

• enntenseenntense Member UncommonPosts: 16
    Here's another major bummer.  If you show up at an event, no matter how huge, even if no one has ever seen it before..And have enough players, you are going to win.  What's the point of high end mass encounters, where you know you are going to win?  No chance of losing outside of too few players.  You have enough players, you WILL win.  I know insta gratification is the theme these days, but if theres no real challenge, then thetre's no real reward of sense of awe or acomplishment.  The first time I killed a dragon, I was pretty let down that it was actually so easy.  Run ammo to cannons (or whatever) wait till it says dragon is weak and we should charge..CHARGE attack..run away .  Rinse repeat, and voila you win.  Big deal...
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Originally posted by Randayn
    Originally posted by Nanfoodle

Originally posted by Torgrim

GW2 is linear...sure you can go back levels, but you can't progress without leveling.

If GW2 is linear as you say then RIFT,WOW,LOTRO,AoC,EQ2,TSW,STO,SWTOR are on rails.

I never said they were'nt actually....the comment came from the other poster that GW2 wasn't linear...

Any themepark is going to be linear in one way or another...that's what themeparks are....

Read my post again, I said there was no linear questing!!!! The game has horizontal game design. If you dont get it watch this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Zn81sY7pqI

Im good...no need to see the video...Please explain to me how leveling from 1-80 by going to different zones is horizontal game design?  And there is no horizontal skill progression, so please explain to me what's horizontal about this game??  if I turn the box 90 degrees from standing position, that is horizontal...but that's it...

Again, it's a farce...just because a designer says it, doesnt mean it's true...

If that's the definition of linear then every mmo ever, including all the sandboxes are linear because every single mmorpg has some form of progression.  For me, linear doesn't describe just progression but how you can engage content in the game world.  In the latter case, if you can move around, picking an choosing what you do, while still progressing, then the game isn't linearly driven.

Watched the video, while the idea is nice, no one would really play a completely horizontal game he describes.  Ultima and Eve had a modified horizontal.  Gear is involved as in different armor and ships.   Of course Ultima eventually changed to a gear driven game, but it was not initially.  Asheron's call was a modified horizontal system too.  I think if you remove class and and level( or reduce it's effects like AC1) you can have a really playable game.  

Never understood why Turbine did not never made an updated AC1, AC2 was an attempt at a EQ clone.

I don't know what Bioware and EA were thinking with SWTOR, after playing the beta, I knew it would not last 6 months.  About the worst themepark design I have seen and they spent so much money on things many people just skipped over.  Probably the best example of how not to design a MMO.  The amusing thing is that many of the leads have left Bioware and are at other companies.  What the heck were those companies thinking, the last game they made was a huge flop!  Might let them sweep the floors at another game company.

Anyways back to GW2, nice game, for a themepark, but really when you get to end game, most of the game is superfluous to you, since you are way over level for most of it.  Really limits what you can do.  Why spend all that time developing content that people just pass through once on the way to end game?  I won't waste my money on it,  

I don't see anything coming down the line either.  The worst thing that ever happened to this genre was the popularity of EQ because it introduced the themepark with class/levels.   Of course the Warcraft experience derived from ex-EQers trying to make a better game.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by Ozmodan

Watched the video, while the idea is nice, no one would really play a completely horizontal game he describes.  Ultima and Eve had a modified horizontal.  Gear is involved as in different armor and ships.   Of course Ultima eventually changed to a gear driven game, but it was not initially.  Asheron's call was a modified horizontal system too.  I think if you remove class and and level( or reduce it's effects like AC1) you can have a really playable game.  

Never understood why Turbine did not never made an updated AC1, AC2 was an attempt at a EQ clone.

I don't know what Bioware and EA were thinking with SWTOR, after playing the beta, I knew it would not last 6 months.  About the worst themepark design I have seen and they spent so much money on things many people just skipped over.  Probably the best example of how not to design a MMO.  The amusing thing is that many of the leads have left Bioware and are at other companies.  What the heck were those companies thinking, the last game they made was a huge flop!  Might let them sweep the floors at another game company.

Anyways back to GW2, nice game, for a themepark, but really when you get to end game, most of the game is superfluous to you, since you are way over level for most of it.  Really limits what you can do.  Why spend all that time developing content that people just pass through once on the way to end game?  I won't waste my money on it,  

I don't see anything coming down the line either.  The worst thing that ever happened to this genre was the popularity of EQ because it introduced the themepark with class/levels.   Of course the Warcraft experience derived from ex-EQers trying to make a better game.

have you not read much on this game at all? all content is relavent at 80 that's one of it's biggest selling points for PVE

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• xpiherxpiher Member UncommonPosts: 3,310

If your aren't a compleitionist, you won't see how much content GW2 actually offers. This is a game that is more about the journey than the destination. I still love the game. I don't have a character to level 80 yet (been playing since early access) due to real life constraints, but I've sunk over 100hrs into the game on just 1 character. I'm sure once I start leveling one of my 4 alts and hit level 80 on my main I'll have sunk more time into gw2 than I did in GW1 in the same timer period. Thats impressive seeing as most themepark games don't hold my attention for longer than a 3 months anyways. I simply don't like Gear Grind Progression. 

Games:
    Currently playing:Nothing
    Will play: Darkfall: Unholy Wars
    Past games:
    Guild Wars 2 - Xpiher Duminous
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Darkfall - Xpiher Duminous (NA) retired
    AoC - Xpiher (Tyranny) retired
    Warhammer - Xpiher

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    Yup ozmodan you are very confused. Almost all themeparks make older content superfluous though scaling. Gw2 downscale you so the content is still fun. That's it that's what Anet gave done- they reduced the superfluous factor by q huge amount. You are complaining about the one game that has invested in a new system that reduces factors you dont like. Should you not be complaining about wow,swtor,Lotr,TSW,Conan instead?

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,454
    Score is a little high for me, but its not unexpected, esp. considering the hard on this site seems to have for it.  I would rate it closer to an 8.  Its a fun game thats well polished, minus the initial release issues like the TP being down, and has probably the most bang for your buck of any MMO.  I got my money's worth out of it for sure.  That being said, I got bored and stopped playing after about 2 weeks and have no plans to ever go back.  Of course, if I do change my mind and start playing again, it will always be there ready to go. 

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

• verenovverenov Member UncommonPosts: 72

Originally posted by Raral

The game is good but the rating it got is waaaaay to nice, esp n the social area it a very anti social game probblly the worse i seen since sto came out. i agree with most of the other rateings though they have innovation i don't see it all going forward death of quest hubs somewhat but doudtful i see more of a combo in that area. death of the trinty highly unlikely it actually did nice to remind people why they like the trinity. it needs more at lvl 80 it has a ton of potential in the pvp area and maybe raiding but the latter will be hard since it feels like a zerg most of the time in the open world. i would of given the game a B-
    Social aspect of *any* game lies as much with the player as it does with the mechanics. The game may appear anti-social because the player may be anti-social. Join a guild and obtain all the social you'll ever need. Also, being social isn't necessarily limited to *speaking*. The very definition of socialize is to take part in social activities. Within Guild Wars 2 one could argue that group dynamic events ARE social activities, thus making Guild Wars 2 one of the most *social* games out there. Oh, go to Divinity's Reach to a local tavern and check out the numerous PC's socializing. I'm sorry you've missed these opportunities, but that doesn't mean that they're non-existant. It means that you somehow may have overlooked them. Then again, you may fall under what the writer described as a player where Guild Wars 2 isn't the game for them/you. You're correct in your assessment of many zergs in the open world (although, this sometimes isn't the case). However, in WvW and Dungeons tactics, teamwork, and strategy can be the difference between success and failure. Explorer Mode of Dungeons is really the level 80 PvE experience, aside from gathering karma for mats or skins. Hopefully, you'll return to the game and try the different aspects aside from *finishing* the content and being done with it. Good luck and take care.

Edit: Just wanted to mention I have 354 hours of play invested in GW2 and am still playing/enjoying it. There are still many playing it. So, to say that I've gotten my money's worth is an understatement. What is that, something like $0.17 an hour for entertainment (if my math is correct...it's late and I'm tired :P). So, yeah, I think that this review was right on the (pardon the pun) money.

"I am handicapped...I'm psychotic."

• verenovverenov Member UncommonPosts: 72

Originally posted by Moirae

Really hate those top two pics. If thats what toons look like, I don't want to play it.

You're really going to base your decision on whether to try a game based on two pictures? Interesting.

"I am handicapped...I'm psychotic."

• EvolvedMonkyEvolvedMonky Member Posts: 549
    Originally posted by Izik

I think you make some good points. I actually agree with your analogies and personally I don't think it's fair to lowball GW2 just because you don't like it. I don't like GW2, but I can't give it a "D" with a straight face. Being as objective as possible I would give it a C or maybe a C+. 

The problem I had with this review is that it's just so blatanly fanboy and not objective at all. 9.3 basically gives this game an "A" - which I think is ridiculous. I've been playing MMOs for 14 years, and I can honestly say there's only been 2 MMOs that deserve an "A" in the history of the genre: EQ1 and vanilla WoW. 

So its okay to be a EQ1 and WoW fanboy?

See I would have given Eq1 a 6 : Other than the whole spellbook mechanics and lighting and atmosphere the rest was snoresville. Gameplay woulda been a 3... Back in the day we use to say EQ killed mmos. 

WoW i woulda gave a 3, I hated that game. It was like EQ the saturday morning cartoon version. Or Chibi EQ: Search for the fluffy unicorn.  It was like most the quest were trying to be funny but are only funny to lil kids. I realy could not stand that game. But i didnt like EQ and it was a EQ clone so its logical.

Now do I think these games shoulda never been made, or that they were failures or did I even post on any gaming sites how bad it is and blah blah blah............NO . Because thats just silly.

See im a gamer, I play games. Some are good some are bad. But how good it is is based on my personal "fun-factor".  50 bucks for 3+ weeks is a good game and was way worth the money. 50 dollars for 2 weeks you got what u payed for. And anything less is a game that wasnt to your taste.

Do i think GW2 is worth 9, ya. Do I think WoW recieved the wrong score of 9 also back in the day. No, Because alot of people liked that game, it just wasnt to my taste but i assume since others enjoyed it, it was and is a great game.

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,455
    Originally posted by EvolvedMonky
    Originally posted by Izik

I think you make some good points. I actually agree with your analogies and personally I don't think it's fair to lowball GW2 just because you don't like it. I don't like GW2, but I can't give it a "D" with a straight face. Being as objective as possible I would give it a C or maybe a C+. 

The problem I had with this review is that it's just so blatanly fanboy and not objective at all. 9.3 basically gives this game an "A" - which I think is ridiculous. I've been playing MMOs for 14 years, and I can honestly say there's only been 2 MMOs that deserve an "A" in the history of the genre: EQ1 and vanilla WoW. 

So its okay to be a EQ1 and WoW fanboy?

See I would have given Eq1 a 6 : Other than the whole spellbook mechanics and lighting and atmosphere the rest was snoresville. Gameplay woulda been a 3... Back in the day we use to say EQ killed mmos. 

WoW i woulda gave a 3, I hated that game. It was like EQ the saturday morning cartoon version. Or Chibi EQ: Search for the fluffy unicorn.  It was like most the quest were trying to be funny but are only funny to lil kids. I realy could not stand that game. But i didnt like EQ and it was a EQ clone so its logical.

Now do I think these games shoulda never been made, or that they were failures or did I even post on any gaming sites how bad it is and blah blah blah............NO . Because thats just silly.

See im a gamer, I play games. Some are good some are bad. But how good it is is based on my personal "fun-factor".  50 bucks for 3+ weeks is a good game and was way worth the money. 50 dollars for 2 weeks you got what u payed for. And anything less is a game that wasnt to your taste.

Do i think GW2 is worth 9, ya. Do I think WoW recieved the wrong score of 9 also back in the day. No, Because alot of people liked that game, it just wasnt to my taste but i assume since others enjoyed it, it was and is a great game.

EQ doest get a 4/10 for me - yes, below average. They didn't call it "Evercrack" for nothing - EQ started the infernal spiral of forced grouping and mindless end game grinding of all EQ clones. It only gets 4 points because it was a pioneer - today I would barely give it a 2.

Games which get an "A+" from me are UO, AC1 and WoW (yes it's an EQ clone, BUT it broke the awful leveling grind and introduced quest based leveling, and deserves a special mention for it - I would never have played it otherwise, yet I played it for 7+ years). I didn't play GW2 long enough to give it a "long term" A+, but for now, it's the first game since WoW's release in Nov. 2004 which deserves it. After WoW breaking the leveling grind, GW2 broke the linearity of theme park MMORPGs.

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• VaracolaciVaracolaci Member UncommonPosts: 2
    Must admit One of the best MMO's I've played. Everything is enjoyable, From the combat and PvP to the towns and Activities just for fun.
  • LurkersLurkers Member Posts: 20
    LOL! yet wow is still on top give me a break.no real endgame ill pass,
  • ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Wow has no endgame for me.

No WvW or anything like it.

It has all these boring things called raids though, that I have no interest in doing.

Different courses for different horses.
  • ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    EQ is probably the worst mmo I played, between that, swtor and Aoc.
  • EagleDelta2EagleDelta2 Member UncommonPosts: 22

People that are complaining about GW2 getting boring are not used to the GW2 style of play (or just don't like that kind of game).  Guild Wars 2 has tons to do:

1. Story
    2. Map Completion
    3. Events (some higher end Events are more akin to what MMO players call "Raids")
    4. Exploration (can't tell you how many times I've found some random, hidden chests just out in the world)
    5. Dungeons
    6. Crafting
    7. sPvP
    8. WvWvW
    9. Mini-Games

Not to mention that the team has already stated that more events are being worked on and, in many cases, will just go live and we'll have to discover them.  At least one mini game also has not been completed either (Polymock). I like that, but some people prefer the more progression style of play where you get to one place and you never look back.  That made WoW annoying for me and thus I don't care for it
  • rush1984rush1984 Member UncommonPosts: 369

Originally posted by SlickShoes

Originally posted by rush1984

well im glad the reviewer enjoys it so much but i dont feel  like it deserves such a high rating.

i dont believe the reviewer got lvl 80 because he would know how little stuff there is to do, unless you call map completion and grinding buggy dungeons fun.

theres probaly thousands of posts of people on forums complaining about how boring the game is .

i however just quit entirely i got 4 weeks of fun out of the game so i guess it could have been worst

im a long time mmo player over 10 years now and gw2 was the quickest i become bored of any mmo, i even played aion and aoc even swtor for longer .

gw2 just doesnt have any longevity unless you are super casual and play only an hour a night, which im told is their target audience anyway.

i give it 7/10 which is still a good rating if only because they atleast tried to think outside the box

I agree with your score but you didn't QUIT the game, it doesn't have a sub so there is no need to quit. When I completed Uncharted 3 I put it on the shelf and stopped playing, a few months later I played it again, then last month I played it again. At no point did I feel the need to anounce I had QUIT Uncharted 3. You have bought the game and enjoyed it for 4 weeks, now you have stopped playing, you may get the urge to play in a couple of months and you can do that and not pay a penny.

SORRY BUT NO

i have QUIT because i dont play it anymore its not even installed on my pc anymore i dont plan on re-installing hence i have quit .

what does having a sub have to do with quiting a game, and btw games like uncharted you "complete"  and i have completed many games mmorpgs  you dont complete you play until you get bored .

• rdrakkenrdrakken Member Posts: 426
    Wait, I just read a review on this site that I mostly agree with...
  • ggregdggregd Member UncommonPosts: 10

This is the most negative, critical, bitchy, whiney asshat community I've ever encountered on any web site, and that's saying a lot.

This is a great game.

• rygard49rygard49 Member UncommonPosts: 973
    Originally posted by ggregd

This is the most negative, critical, bitchy, whiney asshat community I've ever encountered on any web site, and that's saying a lot.

This is a great game.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

This is a great game.

I'll try to summarize a consensus within this community. I know there are many who don't feel this way, but there are a lot that do.

There are people in this community who have watched this game develop. They paid close attention to everything about this game. They bought the game based on the information that was released. Also based on many write ups, many reviewettes, many videos, many commentaries, many developer interviews. After sifting through everything about GW2 that was available pre-release, they truly felt properly educated. But comparing that to their personal experience with GW2 after release, many feel the game was over hyped, over promised and under delivered on many, if not all, levels. 

• kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer

This is a great game.

I'll try to summarize a consensus within this community. I know there are many who don't feel this way, but there are a lot that do.

There are people in this community who have watched this game develop. They paid close attention to everything about this game. They bought the game based on the information that was released. Also based on many write ups, many reviewettes, many videos, many commentaries, many developer interviews. After sifting through everything about GW2 that was available pre-release, they truly felt properly educated. But comparing that to their personal experience with GW2 after release, many feel the game was over hyped, over promised and under delivered on many, if not all, levels. 

That makes no sense at all. Anyone who did do the research and followed the game closely knew what to expect. Like all the people crying about lack of "endgame". Anet never claimed there was going to be some extensive gear driven endgame, in fact they stated quite the opposite (ie: the whole game is endgame) yet people still constantly complain about it as if they somehow bought a game that promised gear grind and raids like WoW.

Other ridiculous complaints that people have that they would have known about if they followed the game at all before release:

Unlocking all weapon skills early on and your progression mainly being via Traits and Utility skills.

Having locked weapon skills.

Having zones instead of a seamless world

Having instanced personal story and dungeons

Having to grind dungeons for cosmetic gear

PvP being seperate from the main PvE world

Lack of the traditional trinity

Having points marked on the map for you (vistas, hearts, POIs)

Level scaling

The fact that it isnt a sandbox

Plenty of other things that people are repeatedly making threads about or complaining in other threads about, yet any amount of common sense and research about the game would have told you that things were exactly that way.

• ggregdggregd Member UncommonPosts: 10

This is a great game.

It's not just this specific game, it's everywhere.  What you've claimed here is typical of jaded MMO players - blatant exaggeration.  Like when one of a class's damage skills is reduced by 10% and players start claiming their entire game experience is ruined.  It can't be taken seriously.

I decided a long time ago some people should just quit playing MMO's or get therapy to help them see beyond the negatives that ALWAYS exist.  I know rygard49 isn't on my side, but "the Dude abides" is a good philosophy sometimes.

• VikingGamerVikingGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,350

GW2 is a great game overall, but given the number of broken DEs out there. Given the grinding nature of what you have to do to get legendaries. Given the love it or hate it nature of the combat design, I simply cannot see any justification for giving the game a 9. The combat design alone is simply too controversial. Sure, there will be a lot of people that love it. But there are also a lot of people that hate it. There are quite a few people that simply put up with the combat because the rest of the game is simply great. And that brings up a problem with marking longevity so high. Again, because of the combat, your mileage will very dramatically on this point. Some people are going to be here a very long time. but other are not lasting but weeks in the game. And for many is is simply coming down to a matter of do you like the combat or not. Combat is too big of a thing to pass by with a "meh, no big deal". It can be a deal breaker for many many people. In other words, I think the spread on this one is too wide. The standard deviation is too big to be able to say, on average, longevity is a 9. More like, it is either a 9 or a 3. It is either going to work for you or not.

It is a polarizing game. That is a good thing, and it is also a bad thing. take your pick.

All die, so die well.

• rygard49rygard49 Member UncommonPosts: 973

This is a great game.

It's not just this specific game, it's everywhere.  What you've claimed here is typical of jaded MMO players - blatant exaggeration.  Like when one of a class's damage skills is reduced by 10% and players start claiming their entire game experience is ruined.  It can't be taken seriously.

I decided a long time ago some people should just quit playing MMO's or get therapy to help them see beyond the negatives that ALWAYS exist.  I know rygard49 isn't on my side, but "the Dude abides" is a good philosophy sometimes.

I was actually responding more tongue in cheek to your comment about the community. That scene seemed fitting since it's right after an outburst from Jesus inferring how pathetic The Dude and his friends are.

I agree with your "the Dude Abides" philosophy.

• LawlmonsterLawlmonster Member UncommonPosts: 1,085
    I think the individuals who review for MMORPG.com mean well, and these articles are certainly withholding to personal opinion, but continue to release inflated scores that aren't entirely objective. It's not really a problem centralized on this website though, and is more a plague that's riddled the enthusiast press since the first developer gave a journalist, someone who's job is to report the truth, that warm, fuzzy feeling and a healthy advertisement check.

"This is life! We suffer and slave and expire. That's it!" -Bernard Black (Dylan Moran)