Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DR hitting the players

Cod_EyeCod_Eye Member UncommonPosts: 1,016

The implementation of DR is causing a bit of a ruckus on the official forums, Mods are closing every thread created on the subject and no response from Anet either, some claiming that the DR is hitting them after 3 events and other claims after 20 mins to 1 hr.

A lot of assumption is that it was implemented to tackle botters, others feel its to stop players farming. Whatever the reason it isnt working, Botters don't care for Karma they want the gold.  Some players can't even play normally (normal in the sense they only play for a couple of hours per week) They are hit with DR on xp, karma and gold around the 1 hour mark.

I personally feel that Anet are dictating on how long I can play, the system doesnt work and only causes bad feeling.  SE implemented a similar thing with fatigue on FFXIV where xp was greatly reduced after a period of play time and was met with hostility towards this system, so why do some players feel Anet has done the right thing with their game?

Anets stance on not communicating with the players regarding this issue is making things worse imho, closing every thread on the subject isnt going to make the subject go away.  I don't have the enthusiasm to login anymore, not until they get rid of this DR system.  The game is built around having to farm hundreds of different items for legendries or exotics which are extremely hard to get, but now they want to make it even harder by having a DR system in place. Remember Colins manifesto? "I swung a sword, I swung a sword again", Yes Colin we will be swinging that sword until we retire for our pension the way you are taking the game right now.

Comments

• TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

What are you referring to? Anti-farming? The anti-farming has been in there since launch, and GW1 had it as well, people need to figure out that they can't sit in the same spot for a long time and expect to get good loot.

Personally I've been getting some amazing loot lately, some rare weapons and a couple armor pieces.

• XzenXzen Member UncommonPosts: 2,607
    I agree the DR system completely fails to do what it was supposed to do and they would be better off just to get rid of it.
    Originally posted by TeknoBug

What are you referring to? Anti-farming? The anti-farming has been in there since launch, and GW1 had it as well, people need to figure out that they can't sit in the same spot for a long time and expect to get good loot.

Personally I've been getting some amazing loot lately, some rare weapons and a couple armor pieces.

The antifarming code doesn't work either.

• ololuluololulu Member UncommonPosts: 164

I haven't played guild wars for a week but what you just said smells exacly what atlantica online used to have.

They had the system called stamina, you had maximum 120 stamina per day( if i remember right) and 1 stamina was used every fight.

When stamina was gone the exp and drops became 2x worse,

They removed the system 2 years after they implemented it.

That system got way too much critisism since it hit the players that wanted to play a few hours in a row.

Botters/goldsellers don't lose anything- if theres less gold in game means gold price rises-  they will ask more money.

If more gold comes into game- price drops.

There is really no way to stop botters/goldsellers.

Well there is but that means players can't sell/trade anything(like runescape had for a few years).

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    DR, so after you get hit with DR after about an hour of gameplay, how long would you have to log off for before you could return and not suffer from it? to be honest i don't really get the DR thing, does it really affect gameplay that much? image
  • BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

Sounds like patch today fixed some bugs with DR triggering too early/soon.

But this is life - and it is also war.

War against bots, spammers, hackers, cheaters...

The innocent always suffer in war.

If YOU can't farm the same dungeon or DE chain over and over legitimately, but at the same time if an automated BOT or gold farmer working with compromised accounts is stopped because of it - I'm all for it.

That whole "those who give up freedom for security deserve neither" or whatever quote is unrealistic, niave bullshit.

• Cod_EyeCod_Eye Member UncommonPosts: 1,016

When players like myself only have a couple of hours a week to play because of work and family commitments, it doesnt bode well when I'm hit with a massive xp and karma nerf after playing for 45 minutes.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135
    Originally posted by biggarfoot

When players like myself only have a couple of hours a week to play because of work and family commitments, it doesnt bode well when I'm hit with a massive xp and karma nerf after playing for 45 minutes.

It only kicks in if you are farming the same mobs, or the same event, on the same map, repeatedly within a set amount of time.

The idea is to roam, and you can do pleanty of roaming in 30-45minutes. If you want to farm the same spot during your time, dungeons still aren't bad for that. Just gotta do them on explorable mode.

• saurus123saurus123 Member UncommonPosts: 678

it only punish players that sit in spot killing same monster over and over

and players doing same DE over and over

played 5hours today and didnt get any kind of DR

• DraftbeerDraftbeer Member UncommonPosts: 517

I am a farmer, I did include map rotation, mob variety, even DEs.

Seems like the DR code just following me everywhere I go - my reward

is for dedication is decreased drop quality and quantity.

Even causal players can hit the DR cap after 30 minutes easily.

This is overkill and does not stop the bots in any way btw.

Sure, you are perfectly fine as long as you only play 29 minutes per day. /sarcasm

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by BadSpock

If YOU can't farm the same dungeon or DE chain over and over legitimately, but at the same time if an automated BOT or gold farmer working with compromised accounts is stopped because of it - I'm all for it.

That whole "those who give up freedom for security deserve neither" or whatever quote is unrealistic, niave bullshit.

QFT!!! I agree.

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin

It's a good quote, and intact and in context it makes perfect sense. However sliced apart then applied to a game, yeah, it's a load of crap.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• gessekai332gessekai332 Member UncommonPosts: 861
    305 hrs logged, have never been hit by diminishing returns problems.1 lvl 80, almost full exotics black+white dye, and another lvl 50. The two things i do most on my 80 are explorables and DE's. if you wanna blame someone, blame the gold farmers and bots. Protip#1: don't do things that are so stupidly tedious and monotonous that you are being flagged as a potential bot.

Most memorable games: AoC(Tryanny PvP), RIFT, GW, GW2, Ragnarok Online, Aion, FFXI, FFXIV, Secret World, League of Legends (Silver II rank)

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by TeknoBug What are you referring to? Anti-farming? The anti-farming has been in there since launch, and GW1 had it as well, people need to figure out that they can't sit in the same spot for a long time and expect to get good loot. Personally I've been getting some amazing loot lately, some rare weapons and a couple armor pieces.

It's not time based, it's activity or killed mob based.

Anyway, I do not play GW2, so what I'm relating is second hand information. Several of the people I work with play GW2, and they won't shut up about it. One thing they haven't mentioned is diminishing returns. These people play every night for several hours a night. One of them is working on getting the mats for a legendary weapon. I don't think he's going to get it, but whatever. He's grinding out the mats for it. He's also clearing entire zones of gathered materials. He hasn't mentioned running into diminishing returns yet.

All that said, I'm sure they need to adjust the system a bit. Maybe it triggers too soon or maybe it reads separate events as the same event or something. They will eventually get it right.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

Originally posted by Volkon

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin

It's a good quote, and intact and in context it makes perfect sense. However sliced apart then appliled to a game, yeah, it's a load of crap.

Very true - in full context and verbage it is a great quote and very true.

• NephaeriusNephaerius Member UncommonPosts: 1,671

The implementation of DR is causing a bit of a ruckus on the official forums, Mods are closing every thread created on the subject and no response from Anet either, some claiming that the DR is hitting them after 3 events and other claims after 20 mins to 1 hr.

A lot of assumption is that it was implemented to tackle botters, others feel its to stop players farming. Whatever the reason it isnt working, Botters don't care for Karma they want the gold.  Some players can't even play normally (normal in the sense they only play for a couple of hours per week) They are hit with DR on xp, karma and gold around the 1 hour mark.

I personally feel that Anet are dictating on how long I can play, the system doesnt work and only causes bad feeling.  SE implemented a similar thing with fatigue on FFXIV where xp was greatly reduced after a period of play time and was met with hostility towards this system, so why do some players feel Anet has done the right thing with their game?

Anets stance on not communicating with the players regarding this issue is making things worse imho, closing every thread on the subject isnt going to make the subject go away.  I don't have the enthusiasm to login anymore, not until they get rid of this DR system.  The game is built around having to farm hundreds of different items for legendries or exotics which are extremely hard to get, but now they want to make it even harder by having a DR system in place. Remember Colins manifesto? "I swung a sword, I swung a sword again", Yes Colin we will be swinging that sword until we retire for our pension the way you are taking the game right now.

You can definitely do more than 3 events.  I have no doubt about that.  If it's from overfarming moving to a different locale will turn off DR.  Like if I'm farming X in Zone Y and go farm A in Zone B it usually resets.  Like you said there's a ton of stuff you may need to farm so switching is no big deal.

I haven't had a problem with the system personally and I've got over 200hrs played.  I play for anywhere from an hour to 8 hours or more straight and have yet to hit this wall a single time.  That doesn't mean you or anyone else hasn't/doesn't have issues.

Steam: Neph

• hikaru77hikaru77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,123

If it is a WAR, Anet is losing it. 

Originally posted by hikaru77

If it is a WAR, Anet is losing it. 

Always more difficult to be on the receiving end and having to react and play defense. Problem extends to all online gaming really. As a further extension, can easily parrallel global fight against spam/malware/viruses/hacking.

• TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

Originally posted by TeknoBug What are you referring to? Anti-farming? The anti-farming has been in there since launch, and GW1 had it as well, people need to figure out that they can't sit in the same spot for a long time and expect to get good loot. Personally I've been getting some amazing loot lately, some rare weapons and a couple armor pieces.

Move to a different location, problem solved.

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363

I have had some amazing green drops in Lowbie areas with my same-level character (lvl 23 Guardian).

As others have said, there was anti-farming code in GW1 also. They put it in later in the game and it did prevent people from overfarming. The trick is to watch your time and then switch characters and don't play for one day. If you continually farm on area and complain that A.Net is raining on your parade, well find another spot and move on. One needs to adapt - the bots surely will.

Originally posted by Draftbeer

I am a farmer, I did include map rotation, mob variety, even DEs.

Seems like the DR code just following me everywhere I go - my reward

is for dedication is decreased drop quality and quantity.

Even causal players can hit the DR cap after 30 minutes easily.

This is overkill and does not stop the bots in any way btw.

Sure, you are perfectly fine as long as you only play 29 minutes per day. /sarcasm

Again, it only affects people farming in one area. It's also not meant to flat out 'stop botters', it's one tool out of many that they are using against botters. It's meant to do a couple things 1) discourage people from farming the same event & mobs all day (which affects you) and 2) limit the amount of items / cash influx botters can obtain via similar methods. And, from what I've seen, botters are not affecting the market much, which is actually a win imho.

The only way to completely stop botting is to not have a market for them to bot. Even if you ban their accounts, they will keep buying new ones as long as people are stupid enough to spend RL money for gold in this game.

If there's anything that Anet should be doing (that we haven't seen much of so far), it's banning people who are purchasing gold. However, that can be a difficult thing to prove, depending on how the transactions are being handled. Anet's not the first (or only) company to struggle with this problem, and they won't be the last.

Originally posted by Phry
    DR, so after you get hit with DR after about an hour of gameplay, how long would you have to log off for before you could return and not suffer from it? to be honest i don't really get the DR thing, does it really affect gameplay that much? image

No idea how long it takes to go away. I just log in on a second account and just go on farming.

• CarnafexCarnafex Member Posts: 49

The problem is that unless Anet has a full disclosure on the rules that come into play to invoke the DR/anti-bot code people will assume a run of crappy drops is being influenced by the code; when it may well be just bad luck.  Full disclosure is obviously counter-productive for influencing bots, so their best bet is to eliminate the code altogether.   Otherwise the continual whining will just get worse. 

Originally posted by Carnafex

The problem is that unless Anet has a full disclosure on the rules that come into play to invoke the DR/anti-bot code people will assume a run of crappy drops is being influenced by the code; when it may well be just bad luck.  Full disclosure is obviously counter-productive for influencing bots, so their best bet is to eliminate the code altogether.   Otherwise the continual whining will just get worse. 

If it's not this, it'll be something else.

I dunno if you've seen but the latest on the whinning train have been people complaining that the ingame map shows you more than what's currently available.

People will literally whine about anything, regardless of how trivial or irrelevant.

• AbrexusAbrexus Member UncommonPosts: 39
    Originally posted by saurus123

it only punish players that sit in spot killing same monster over and over

and players doing same DE over and over

played 5hours today and didnt get any kind of DR

I can assure you that is not the case (at least in my experience).

My level 20 Necro was finishing up the map in Metrica province and was hit with the DR stick in less than an hour of gameplay.

I am a 46 yo husband and father who is lucky enough to have a wife and kids that give me a few hours uninterrupted once or twice a week to enjoy gaming. It is extremely frustrating to sit down with my office door closed and my cup of joe in hand expecting to spend some time leveling my character only to be hit with this insane system.

I do not feel it is acceptable to punish people who are actively playing the game regardless of how they choose to enjoy it. When I am able to sit down and enjoy a few hours of game time it is unacceptable to me to be punished so that I must change activities or modify my playstyle to accommodate some DR system.

• Take care, young ladies, and value your wine.
    • Be watchful of young men in their velvet prime.
    • Deeply they'll swallow from your finest kegs,
    • Then swiftly be gone, leaving bitter dregs.