Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Human behavior and why force grouping doesn't work

Comments

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,373
    Originally posted by Starpower
    Originally posted by DavisFlight

It's human behavior to want to choose when and where to be social and not have it crammed down your throat. Games should work much the same way.

Except in games if you want to simulate human interaction...

We're forced in our day to day lives to interact with people all the time. Sometimes this leads to social encounters. Some people need the incentive or the push. 

MMOs would work in the same way. They'd set up the potential for a social exchange and leave it to you to take it further.

Modern MMOs just make you 100% self sufficient, which means no socializing or social community ever develops. And without a community holding people to games, they peter out and die very quickly (see every WoW clone).

Games are first and foremost recreational. The word 'forced' rings badly with that.

Lets not forget that "we" the gamers has pushed the genre in the direction it is in and not the developers. They only follow where the money is.

Except that the money was never in WoW clones. They didn't understand what made WoW a success and they never figured it out.

Of course they have. They simply can't reproduce it for a variety of reasons.

If that was true, and they knew they couldn't reproduce it, don't you think they wouldn't have wasted money trying? No. They don't understand at all, which is why SWTOR was such a huge failure.

It's quite simple, they have to follow suit. People want familiarity like it or not. If they don't implement XYZ features people will simply leave. That's probably why SWTOR failed. It wasn't enough like WoW

Haha WHAT? SWTOR failed because it wasn't like WoW enough? That's the first time I've heard that. Meanwhile everyone else talks about how singleplayer oriented it was, destined to fail when people run out of content, nothing new to keep people strung along. And we have games like Rift, carbon copies of WoW, that still fail.

And what are you people on about? 95% of WoW was focused on soloing. That's where the bulk of development went. Its one of the most anti social MMOs, and its the one that popularized the recent batch of anti social MMOs.

So let me get this straight. The most successful MMO of all time is also the most solo focused MMO. I guess that really speaks for itself doesn't it. It's not really the solo aspect that makes MMOs fail. Looking at WoW, playing solo is what the majority wants. Again thanks for making my point

The majority rarely wants what is actually best for them, they don't realize what they're missing.

Their happiness is an illusion.  image

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• StonesDKStonesDK Member UncommonPosts: 1,805
    Originally posted by Kyleran

The majority rarely wants what is actually best for them, they don't realize what they're missing.

Their happiness is an illusion.  image

I have lengthy talks with people about how the so called "negative" aspects of MMORPGS such as buff dependencies, non instanced dungeons with lists, long travel times, death penalties, and the grinding with no xp quests. As negative as those things are viewed, they added positive things to the genre that can never be replaced. All substituted for convenience.

I'm not so sure the convenience tradeoff is worth it.

• nate1980nate1980 Member UncommonPosts: 2,062
    Originally posted by jpnz

I wish to shift the focus a bit and move away from 'game design' which is the stickied 'Solo vs group' thread.

From a RL point of view, humans generally don't talk to strangers with no reason. Despite the advancement in technology of 'contact me anywhere', rarely do we see humans just walk up to someone and talk to them.

If we do it is because we want something from the interaction; I talk to cafe lady who wants my money and I need my caffine shot.

Humans want to be in the presence of other people but not actually interact with all of them. I go to bars with my friends and hang out with my friends. I don't go to bars and talk to someone I don't know; unless its staff and my orange juice is 30 seconds late.

Exception is if I am there with a specific focus on 'talking to strangers' like 'Singles Bar / Speed dating' but even then, there is that desire to get something (companionship) out of it.

Forced grouping in MMOs? Fine. Cool. Have at it.

But looking at how most people (maybe its because I lived in large cities most of my life?) live, don't expect a massive amount of people.

I've made sweaping generalization which won't apply 100% (Yes that ONE poster who's like 'but I talk to EVERYONE! ^__^ ) but that's how I view why forced grouping won't be popular. Pretty sure a professional in social / behavioural science can poke holes in my theory though. :P 

Which is exactly why forced grouping does work! People in general are happier when they're surrounded by friends. You don't make friends until you make that first contact and find common ground. If you're constantly soloing, people being the way you said they are, they'll never initiate that contact. However, with forced grouping with downtime, people socialize during that downtime in order to pass the time. The end result is friends are made every day, and your experience in general is a lot better than if you were soloing.

• MagiknightMagiknight Member CommonPosts: 782

The OP makes me sick.  "I wont talk to someone unless I want something from them."  You don't even have to speak to someone in an MMO with forced grouping if you don't want to. 

It is very generous of the person who started the thread to inform us that forced grouping runs counter to human nature and would never work in an MMO.  The only problem is that Everquest, FFXI, and a handful of other MMOs with forced grouping was the rule at one time. 

• TalulaRoseTalulaRose Member RarePosts: 1,247
    No such thing as forced grouping. You always have had a choice to group or not group.
    Originally posted by TalulaRose
    No such thing as forced grouping. You always have had a choice to group or not group.

Why hello Captain Literal. How's lacking abstract reasoning, going for you these days

Let me help you out there buddy. When people talk about forced grouping it's hyperbole. It refers to being severely gimped when attempting to solo majorly favoring grouping to the point where you might as well craft or log if you can't find one.

EQ was a big offender with this when it was released. Only a few classes was doing better on their own, druids being one of them with their ability to kite multiple mobs at any given time.

That's very true. Even in the older games, you could solo. It just wasn't as efficient as grouping. Just like you could group and do quests in modern games, although it's much more efficient to just solo.

• TalulaRoseTalulaRose Member RarePosts: 1,247

Why hello Captain Literal. How's lacking abstract reasoning, going for you these days

Let me help you out there buddy. When people talk about forced grouping it's hyperbole. It refers to being severely gimped when attempting to solo majorly favoring grouping to the point where you might as well craft or log if you can't find one.

EQ was a big offender with this when it was released. Only a few classes was doing better on their own, druids being one of them with their ability to kite multiple mobs at any given time.

Nothing abstract about it. Group based game will favor groups, pretty simple really. Stop trying to make things complicated because you think it will make you look intelligent. Only a fool would try to solo a group based activity and then complain about it not working out as well as if they were grouped.

Nothing abstract about it. Group based game will favor groups, pretty simple really. Stop trying to make things complicated because you think it will make you look intelligent. Only a fool would try to solo a group based activity and then complain about it not working out as well as if they were grouped.

You are being simpleminded about it. It goes with what I said about you earlier

It's not about what a game favors. It's about what a game punishes. Punished doesn't mean you are going to spend 2 days getting what a group will give you in half a day. Nor does it mean you can't take on group content alone

If that doesn't help just a little then I have nothing else I can tell you that will make you understand the concept of "forced grouping" you will never understand any posts made on this subject.

Forced grouping comes in many forms. Having your progression completely halt for instance without grouping with others is also a form of "forced grouping"

I have a feeling you and I can circle round this for the next three pages, as I suspect I may as well speak to a bag of coffee. It will be a complete waste of my time and yours

• rungardrungard Member Posts: 1,035

forced grouping still exists. you cant do a dungeon in GW2 without a team. There are many events in the world you also need a team for.

theres really no reason why you cant have aspects of both in a game, since im playing it right now and its working ok.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by rungard

forced grouping still exists. you cant do a dungeon in GW2 without a team. There are many events in the world you also need a team for.

theres really no reason why you cant have aspects of both in a game, since im playing it right now and its working ok.

But you don't have to do a dungeon to play, do you?

Just like WOW, you can't do a 5-man dungeon without a group. You can't do a raid without a group. But they make it easy. A group will be provided, if you hit this button.

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529
    Originally posted by Magiknight

The OP makes me sick.  "I wont talk to someone unless I want something from them."  You don't even have to speak to someone in an MMO with forced grouping if you don't want to. 

It is very generous of the person who started the thread to inform us that forced grouping runs counter to human nature and would never work in an MMO.  The only problem is that Everquest, FFXI, and a handful of other MMOs with forced grouping was the rule at one time. 

I don't recall ever saying 'it would never work in an MMO'.

I just said why the forced grouping mechanic won't be popular.

How many subs does EQ/FFXI and other 'forced group only' MMO have again?

I did back down on my OP since people provided logic and material of the contrary.

I think the truth is somewhere in the middle but like I said, I'm a city guy. :)

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,743

A random person can tell you the time, point you to the bus stop or discuss the weather with you, they are great for PUG’s too. :)

But if you are talking helping you out with your job you need a colleague at work, going on a raid you need guildmates.

• faxnadufaxnadu Member UncommonPosts: 940

I wish to shift the focus a bit and move away from 'game design' which is the stickied 'Solo vs group' thread.

From a RL point of view, humans generally don't talk to strangers with no reason. Despite the advancement in technology of 'contact me anywhere', rarely do we see humans just walk up to someone and talk to them.

If we do it is because we want something from the interaction; I talk to cafe lady who wants my money and I need my caffine shot.

Humans want to be in the presence of other people but not actually interact with all of them. I go to bars with my friends and hang out with my friends. I don't go to bars and talk to someone I don't know; unless its staff and my orange juice is 30 seconds late.

Exception is if I am there with a specific focus on 'talking to strangers' like 'Singles Bar / Speed dating' but even then, there is that desire to get something (companionship) out of it.

Forced grouping in MMOs? Fine. Cool. Have at it.

But looking at how most people (maybe its because I lived in large cities most of my life?) live, don't expect a massive amount of people.

I've made sweaping generalization which won't apply 100% (Yes that ONE poster who's like 'but I talk to EVERYONE! ^__^ ) but that's how I view why forced grouping won't be popular. Pretty sure a professional in social / behavioural science can poke holes in my theory though. :P 

ive been saying the same thing for years. and like i said in life if i go buy milk from local store i wont ask 10 friends to come with me not alone unknown people =) but what comes to games when grouping is instant and it happens around you and you can just hop in and run around with 15 unknown nobody says a word that dosnt work either.

• ElNubreUneroElNubreUnero Member Posts: 57

I will state one thing,

For some people, the solo-friendly environment that breeds non-cooperation will lead their only social interaction to be anti-social.

Either that, or perhaps all the idiocy and youth on the internet makes me want to /wrist. At least socially.

I am a very nice, friendly, positive person IRL. I am also logical, rational, and confident...with little tolerance for stupidity, hatred, or arrogance. On most MMORPG's, the only thing I want to do to other people is to make them suffer (PK PK PK!). If there is no FFA PvP, then I will do my best to enter PvP with them and repeatedly shut them down over, and over, and over. Then I /tell "Have you learned your lesson yet kid? Apologize and I'll stop making it to where you can't play the game anymore."

Facerolling, steamrolling, and repeatedly spawn camping jerks, trolls, or any other anti-social kid is my favorite thing to do. I get a real sense of justice out of it. Regardless of their ego, I put them down. If they want to belittle strangers, I can successfully step in and make them shut up or humiliate them repeatedly if they keep talking. One of the things I"m most grateful for when it comes to video games (besides them merely existing and my having enough wealth to acquire access to them) is my skill in any genre, and the ability to (typically within hours, up to a few days) learn enough to faceroll anyone who insults or attacks innocent people. I love making people rage quit when they were so arrogant as to tell a newer player "wow you suck newb, do the right thing and go kill yourself."

What other social interaction is there? I am so good at these EZ-MODE mmorpg's, that I can literally solo all of the content. If I can't solo it because it's group-required, I can multi-box 5+ versions of the game and steamroll through the dungeon without stopping with a full Tank + Healer + DPS DPS DPS group all composed of me. (Yea, I've been gaming for so long, and these games so easy, I kindof get bored and multi-box like insanity just to get a challenge...not to mention pushing my hardware/scripting abilities to the max!).

Forced grouping and forced cooperation (or a common enemy, like Realm Pride) would actually give me a reason to treat others with favor and friendship. I'd have more to say than "WTB retard free Society" or "Man, these kids make me rethink the evils of genocide."

I enjoy trolling the trolls, owning the arrogant, putting down those who belittle others, etc. It makes me feel like a vigilante, a superhero, a defender of the innocent. Especially with such a serious and heavy anti-bully stance, I love to bully the bullies. It allows me to show these kids (who are half of the time full grown adults, which is truly pathetic or sometimes sad) that just because "it's the internet" doesn't mean you can pick on others, say harmful things, wish others to die, or not consider the fact other people have feelings online and the people they are beckoning to suicide are actually real human beings.

I don't wish harm on anyone- but a humble slap in the face is appropriate for some of these spoiled psychopaths that walk through the halls of their dermatory, trying so desperately to get laid, drunk, or some other form of hedonism that it's all they want to talk about in VOIP-- something that's a requirement for professional PvP. (Soap box rant on VOIP slipped in here, but honestly I'm tired of being unable to PvP in some games or types of gameplay because VOIP is a requirement, simply for the fact that I do NOT want to know what happened on last night's episode of Family Guy, and why you thought it was so funny when you were high while whining to your fat girlfriend that you never get sex.)

Bitter much? Only online, where the filth of the world gathers to spew its seed all over the face of what could be the sliver of integrity our species is capable of. Or...maybe I'm just exhausted at the stupidity, close-mindedness, and perversely foul breath that results when a 20-something male speaks what he is REALLY thinking, with all 2% brainpower struggling to activate.

means you. you dont need to speak behalf of all of us.

Originally posted by MagnusCeleritas

I will state one thing,

For some people, the solo-friendly environment that breeds non-cooperation will lead their only social interaction to be anti-social.

Either that, or perhaps all the idiocy and youth on the internet makes me want to /wrist. At least socially.

I am a very nice, friendly, positive person IRL. I am also logical, rational, and confident...with little tolerance for stupidity, hatred, or arrogance. On most MMORPG's, the only thing I want to do to other people is to make them suffer (PK PK PK!). If there is no FFA PvP, then I will do my best to enter PvP with them and repeatedly shut them down over, and over, and over. Then I /tell "Have you learned your lesson yet kid? Apologize and I'll stop making it to where you can't play the game anymore."

Facerolling, steamrolling, and repeatedly spawn camping jerks, trolls, or any other anti-social kid is my favorite thing to do. I get a real sense of justice out of it. Regardless of their ego, I put them down. If they want to belittle strangers, I can successfully step in and make them shut up or humiliate them repeatedly if they keep talking. One of the things I"m most grateful for when it comes to video games (besides them merely existing and my having enough wealth to acquire access to them) is my skill in any genre, and the ability to (typically within hours, up to a few days) learn enough to faceroll anyone who insults or attacks innocent people. I love making people rage quit when they were so arrogant as to tell a newer player "wow you suck newb, do the right thing and go kill yourself."

What other social interaction is there? I am so good at these EZ-MODE mmorpg's, that I can literally solo all of the content. If I can't solo it because it's group-required, I can multi-box 5+ versions of the game and steamroll through the dungeon without stopping with a full Tank + Healer + DPS DPS DPS group all composed of me. (Yea, I've been gaming for so long, and these games so easy, I kindof get bored and multi-box like insanity just to get a challenge...not to mention pushing my hardware/scripting abilities to the max!).

Forced grouping and forced cooperation (or a common enemy, like Realm Pride) would actually give me a reason to treat others with favor and friendship. I'd have more to say than "WTB retard free Society" or "Man, these kids make me rethink the evils of genocide."

I enjoy trolling the trolls, owning the arrogant, putting down those who belittle others, etc. It makes me feel like a vigilante, a superhero, a defender of the innocent. Especially with such a serious and heavy anti-bully stance, I love to bully the bullies. It allows me to show these kids (who are half of the time full grown adults, which is truly pathetic or sometimes sad) that just because "it's the internet" doesn't mean you can pick on others, say harmful things, wish others to die, or not consider the fact other people have feelings online and the people they are beckoning to suicide are actually real human beings.

I don't wish harm on anyone- but a humble slap in the face is appropriate for some of these spoiled psychopaths that walk through the halls of their dermatory, trying so desperately to get laid, drunk, or some other form of hedonism that it's all they want to talk about in VOIP-- something that's a requirement for professional PvP. (Soap box rant on VOIP slipped in here, but honestly I'm tired of being unable to PvP in some games or types of gameplay because VOIP is a requirement, simply for the fact that I do NOT want to know what happened on last night's episode of Family Guy, and why you thought it was so funny when you were high while whining to your fat girlfriend that you never get sex.)

Bitter much? Only online, where the filth of the world gathers to spew its seed all over the face of what could be the sliver of integrity our species is capable of. Or...maybe I'm just exhausted at the stupidity, close-mindedness, and perversely foul breath that results when a 20-something male speaks what he is REALLY thinking, with all 2% brainpower struggling to activate.

many good words written in here.

• phantomghostphantomghost Member UncommonPosts: 738

I just said why the forced grouping mechanic won't be popular.

How many subs does EQ/FFXI and other 'forced group only' MMO have again?

I think the truth is somewhere in the middle but like I said, I'm a city guy. :)

You said its not human nature... and it is.

Its now F2P but considering it is a 13 year old game... not too bad....

I really do not see any in the middle.  Its not like you have to meet the person in real life.  If you are not socially fit enough to handle someone saying hey to you or healing a stranger on a video game... you should probably just give up life now.

• CuathonCuathon Member Posts: 2,211
    Wow, so Magnus is basically everything he claims to hate. So amusing. Good luck being a self righteous hypocritical asshole.

I personally believe the issue comes from the new playerbase that WoW built for us.

Pre-WoW I never ran into such a$$holes. 

Wow-Present: All you have are:

L2 Phrases

QQ

You suck noob.

Ridiculous answers when someone asks a question.

Most players now are just difficult to be around because they are unpleasant people.

Not to mention WoW has breed a playerbase full of morons who are so use to everything being easy that they are no longer capable of playing any type of role in a group other than dps.  And by dps I mean just that... most of them struggle to be a dps... most or all probably cannot even do secondary tasks.

WoW made it so all classes can CC.  This makes it rather simple because you are not dependent on a select few to do the CCing for you.  (In EQ this would likely be done through a puller or enchanter).  They took away the need to have other players buff you by giving all classes a buff and making it unneccessary to have other buffs.

I realize some classes were always easier to play, but now all classes are easy.  You don't need to time anything just slam buttons and you will be fine.  There is little downtime... this makes it easier for you to just slam the keys and worst case run oom... you will be full mana in 10secs or less.  The only time you have to slightly know what buttons to press is on difficult mobs... which guess what only comes from grouping!  (Hopefully, you all see how solo play has ruined the games and produced the breed of unskilled players because they never actually learn to play a role)

We now have lost grouping/ being social thanks to WoW.... next is roles at all.  Hell every character should be self sufficient... a tank/dps/healer/cc/buffer/debuffer.

Of course since nobody wants to group any more... who needs tanks/healers we can all just be DPS because there is no need for any specialized roles other than DPS.

• ElNubreUneroElNubreUnero Member Posts: 57
    Originally posted by Cuathon
    Wow, so Magnus is basically everything he claims to hate. So amusing. Good luck being a self righteous hypocritical asshole.

I'm sorry if I offended you so greatly that you feel the need to rage at me so vehemently.

I do not believe ALL 20-something males are neanderthals. You don't have to feel personally attacked simply because of my statements. There are always intelligent, mature, rational people in this world...no matter what their age is.

Of course...hehe...your post clearly shows which of the two types you are ;)

Thank you for proving my point exactly. Goodluck friendo :)

• CuathonCuathon Member Posts: 2,211
    Originally posted by MagnusCeleritas
    Originally posted by Cuathon

I'm sorry if I offended you so greatly that you feel the need to rage at me so vehemently.

I do not believe ALL 20-something males are neanderthals. You don't have to feel personally attacked simply because of my statements. There are always intelligent, mature, rational people in this world...no matter what their age is.

Of course...hehe...your post clearly shows which of the two types you are ;)

Thank you for proving my point exactly. Goodluck friendo :)

Did you read the post I was referring to dear friend? You think you are an intelligent, mature, rational person after writing that? I repeat, so amusing.

Based on your posting history I can only conclude that you are purposefully trolling, poorly as well. The problems you illustrate followed by the response you advocate makes this plain. I wish you good luck in your mission, you certainly aren't going to succeed based on talent.

• maccarthur2004maccarthur2004 Member UncommonPosts: 511
    Why a person that don't like or want grouping would play a mmo instead of a single-player game?  Anyone knows?

Originally posted by maccarthur2004
    Why a person that don't like or want grouping would play a mmo instead of a single-player game?  Anyone knows?

Because they like to try to ruin MMO for the people who want to play an MMO for what it is...

Originally posted by Deleted User

I will state one thing,

Pot calling the kettle black? You don't think you sound arrogant in your post talking about how great you are, and calling people kids when you have no clue how old they may be until they tell you? If you're really so great, you would be wise and just rise above the rabble without needing to draw attention to your greatness. People will just see it and honor you for it.