Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

My top 10 gripes about GW2

Comments

• austriacusaustriacus Member UncommonPosts: 618
    Originally posted by Randayn
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    Originally posted by Randayn

the fact they even have it in game is crazy.  why bother.  offer the same challenge to everyone.  But, just like steven spielberg (with his movies)  ANET tried too hard to cater to the younger, more casual (not in playtime, but how played),  less experienced and/or non-mmorpg crowd.  It's not just ANET though, it's the entire Themepark MMO industry (aside from Funcom...that's why they have a bad reputation IMHO).

It's why horror movies are now all rated PG-13, it's why spielberg movies that were created from books are like Hello Kitty-ized.  It's the reason pop music is tops on the charts....because people like things nice, pretty and dumbed down.  To have to think is a travesty.  BTW, twitch movement does not equate to thought-provoking....twitch is the absense of thought replaced by instinct.

Sorry for the rant...just sick of these "candy land" MMO's coming out lately....it's a sad sign for the genre where the days of EQ1 for sword and elf lovers and AO for sci-fi lovers offered a real challenge and required pre-game strategy (thought).....nowadays, it's click this, that and then this again and you'll win everytime....or twitch alot and circle strafe and you win....preperation is for the birds....

Don't get me started on the actual worlds and the exploration involved....non-exhistent now....GW2 tried but couldn't keep it's hands out of the cookie jar and ended up marking anything significant (cept for those uber hidden caves...I wont go there though) on the map so that the exploration was destroyed.

Sad state for MMO's...switched to Darkfall and will look into Repopulation if it ever comes out...the only two games with any real promise.

GW2 offers more exploration and interesting things to find than any other themepark I can think of in a very long time... also in red is sort of an ironic statement from someone who wants a non-FFA server in DF..

lol...I actually didn't mean I want it to be hardcore PVP'd....im not a PVP'er...I'm playing Darkfall out of desperation, but I do like the game...haven't been ganked yet, but also don't look foward to having it done...but ah well...btw, I actually had someone email me explaining why there is FFA Lootz and it made sense..got in game and it made even more sense.  I have since changed my stance on that.

I want to return to the days (and i mean no offense by this)....to the days where MMO's were made for computer nerds...not FPS players and mainstream gamers...It appears devs are making games to cater to these 2 crowds and have forgotten all about their base...

Instead, it's become a lot of "candy land" games where combat animations mean more than combat preparations...where just like my green piece would pick up a new card to move 2 spaces, the path to endgame is direct and straight ahead.

I am an exploration nut....there is nothing more I like about a game than it's ability to allow me to explore...I use to lose myself flying my yalm through each zone (even if it was too high level for me) just exploring...and AO catered to it quite well.  Darkfall has a GIGANTIC world that I have just started to explore...can't wait to get further.  GW2....not an explorer's wet dream...even if there is one or two locales out there that are explore worthy, the way the zones are setup and the way the game plays out detracts me from ever even bothering to explore...and after have spent at least 20-25 hours exploring 6 or so zones in GW2, I was re-assured that exploring it is a waste of time.

Again, I've tried to play it...tried to like it...but one word defines my feelings for it everytime I play....GENERIC...it's a generic generic game with boring everything.  Ive explained it in detail before, so Im not going to here...plus Im probably being a pain with my post inside your post...Im sorry to get off topic...the one dude's comment rubbed me wrong.  You can blow up my posts anytime Aerowyn....really sorry to blow yours up!

I hope you understand that its most likely never gona happen. Making games is a bussines so dont expect a AAA dev to create a game for such a small consumer base.

Just keep supporting indy games like the one you are playing now and maybe someday you people will have somwhere to go.

Me on the other hand  love how casual friendly the games nowdays are. I dont want to be stressed when i play my games, just relaxed.

• prpshrtprpshrt Member Posts: 258
    Originally posted by Z3R01

Since I apparently I can't say a single bad thing about GW2 figured I post my top 10 gripes I have with the game in no particular order..

1. Zoom - for whatever reason the camera uses a step zoom which doesn't allow you to place the camera where you want.. you basically have steps and it can only be placed in these steps which can get very annoying especially in tight spaces or when taking screenshots.

I zoom out just fine.

2. Story inconsistancy- I have played numerous stories upto level 20ish and I found some are really engrossing intersting and fun.. others are dull and boring.. there's a good mixture but needs a bit more consistancy.

It's fine... you expect too much out of a MMO.

3. Build Manager- Game NEEDS some sort of build manager so you can set multiple trait builds and select between them whenever you want outside combat

NO

Why not? We could do it in GW1 no problem. It makes your character more versatile. It kinda sucks having to pay to reset my talents everytime I want to switch from healing support to straight up dps on elementalists.

4. sPVP Tournaments- I know it's coming but the full fledged tournaments really need ot get in quick

Have some patience!

5. Hearts- i don't really mind doing them but feel the game overall would of been a lot better how it was orginially designed with only DE's and no hearts at all

NO, Hearts help people not feel lost. People leave if they're lost.

6. Same Server Dungeon Finder- Although it hasnt' been much of an issue since you don't ever need a certain class I still feel a dungeon finder would be a welcome addition to the game.

NO!! 

I sense you're thinking about a WoW dungeon finder? I suggest a party finder much like the one in the mission areas of guild wars 1

7. WvW Tutorial- Noticed many people jump in to WvW have no clue what is going on.. yes you got the npc that talks about the zones but think it could really benefit from a more robust tutorial on how everything works

I actually agree with this one...

8. DE Variety- I enjoy the DE system but it could benefit from a bit more variety accross the board and hopefully something planned for the near future.

NO

Yes. The zerging is a little irritating. Also being the nice guy and reviving people apparently means you dont contribute. 

9. Weapon Skills- I don't really mind having them all unlocked so early but would like some sort of system similar to the utility skill system which would allow you to mix and match from a bigger pool of skills.. Loved picking from the huge pool of skills in GW1.. 

NO! I like that GW2 is different than GW1... I can play both games and have a unique experience.  Go play GW1

Go play GW1? I think the devs are obligated to keep similarities between the two considering that they're both from the same franchise. If not, they should have called it something else.

10. Crafting Variety- System overall is fine but would like if there was more variety in how you crafted between the professions.. basically cooking is the only odd ball and the rest play out the exact same...

Crafting is fine... 

again i could go on for another 50 but those are my top 10 right now.. still game is amazing and having a blast even after almost 200 hours since lauch... back to Tyria:)

With 200 hours played the game is fine... stop making lists. I played SWTOR for 3 hours and uninstalled... that game deserves a list.

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

Ooo fun list I can go over 10 things I dislike about GW2 but eh I'll cut back to be fair! Oh and I can list 10 good points to so don't worry, I'm not atleast extremely bias. Here we go, big ones and a few minor ones I'm to lazy to remove and add bigger points to the list for.

1.) Combat Clunkiness: Its a real hard thing to explain but combat in GW2 is just so... icky. It functions but I don't feel very smooth doing it. It lacks a sort of flow that absorbs me into the gameplay, with many of the 'components' that are suppose to flow together not really doing that. It just lacked on a sense of smoothness games like Tera could do while still providing an MMO world.

2.) Hearts: A nice change at first but BOY do they get old quick. I literally am at the point I despise hearts and wish the old quest system was in place. The issue comes that it does lop objectives together, and that means that you can have 3 boring tasks with a fun 'kill' objective and you will suffer for a long time trying to do that kill objective to finish the quest which can take a good deal of time. This only becomes worst as some quests are limited with mobs around and at times can just be extremely long and boring to do.

3.) Crafting: I actually like their direction in crafting... I just feel it was done a bit poorly. First, materials themselves call for rediculous quantities that even if you are actively picking every node, you want have nearly enough to actually get to the next tier where your currently farming stuff at. The discovery system is a fun idea, but outside cooking it just seems so poorly done and not that interesting. Would of been nice to have you making up some random components and letting you 'explore' more through research, possibly breaking materials though still giving you experience and letting you yield unexpected results.

4.) DE: What, but DE are a great thing in GW2? Well... not completely. My issue comes in how rapidly they return back. They feel less and less dynamic and more static as I see the same thing repeat over and over at the same place. As a supposed dynamic, its one of the most time structured things around. Any 'effect' is often temporary and doesn't matter. Add in that many become bugged and they forgot what a failsafe was, it makes things quite iffy quick.

5.) Skill variety: Are you level 30? Yes, Did you buy your elite skill your going to be using? Yes. Congrats, you have experienced everything GW2 has to offer you. I feel so uninspired to level in the game. The only motiviation is to hit cap since anything before that is just pointless filler. Yes, you get talents, but they feel so trivial and don't matter all that much. Many talents you get will leave your play style virtually the same. This makes the game quite boring and just unapealing leveling.

6.) Jumping Puzzles: Now now, I know your thinking "Well you must be bad at them, thats why this is a point" and its not true. I'm very good at them. The issue comes that they emphasize the clunky design of the graphics. Jumping puzzles force you to 'break rules' of sorts in the world creating very silly looking character movements that just isn't very feasible and looks quite dumb. Jumping up platforms is a cringe worthy thing that distracts from something that could be actually fun.

7.) Aiming/Targetting: Could technically be counted as clunky combat, but to me Its more of a gameplay issue. Aiming in this game is horrendous. I feel I have so much problems trying to it what I want, particularly with targetted attacks, you know, the thing thats usually considered the EASIEST thing to hit. This really makes it a horrible experience trying to enjoy the game when Im focusing on hitting one thing and I watch my attacks just go teach a little cricket cherping on the ground a lessen. it just feels so icky that it really bothers me. Another thing Tera did far better then GW2 (which sorry, but Tera is leagues above GW2 in combat, even if it lags behind in many other areas).

8.)Story: Played through twice, I can instantly predict what will happen with the third side (vigil) side. Most of the forks are already traveled and honestly, being able to change 3 things up my next play through wouldn't be enough to make it fresh. Difficulty in story can be laughably easy to rediculously hard depending on the mission, luck, and if the game decides to bug out ands crew you over. The story could dip in to being good to being completely facepalm worthy. Plenty of times of inconsistency and you will swear the one guy must of been around the neighborhood quite a few times and everyone was invited for a shot if you know what I mean with him. How I HATE the use of titles to address you. While yes, you can't have voice actives giving yuor exact name, the way its handled is just poor. You will hear things like 'commander' spewed out non stop for you, and all of a sudden they go spamming another character's first name like crazy. It feels so inconsistent doing it!

9.)Dungeons: Holy Mess Batman. I'm a raider and I'm fine with the trinity not being needed (least the old trinity, not to say they don't use a new trinity) but it feels like they really didn't do much to balance dungeons. Dungeons are virtually impossible without someone at least getting downed once. Ultimately, your dodges will be gone and the cc is missing and you can kiss yourself goodbye. Its not even that its hard out of taking skill, its hard out of having no resources left to use to save yourself. Its all on your team comp that you can live... and since it does involve a team comp... how the heck did that kill the trinity and what was suppose to be bad about it?

10.)  No Raids.: Yeah, I went there. I have more points but to me this is something I feel NEEDS to be brought up. Its fine that you don't want people to get this crazy gear or what not stuff your spew out, yada yada, but not having raids is really distracting for me. Its just one less thing to do with a group of people and 1 less way to gain glory in PvE which just simply lacks much 'worthwild' stuff to do. (Don't dare claim exploration and such cause every game has that and they don't get to make that claim). Was tempted to get another point in but I wanted this to stand since it just resonates a lot to me.

Bonus A.) Yes 12, but its less about the game and more about the devloper/publisher. I HATE their efforts to try and talk players down like they are idiot. The 'There is plenty of things to do' comment was priceless in that it lists stuff that virutally every mmo has one way or another. Their claim there is 'no grind' yet its stuffed full of it at the end. I just really dislike ANET after these comments and their attitude about it. Its a nit picky unrelated game aspect I know, but it bothers me and I just don't like it at all.

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556

6. Same Server Dungeon Finder- Although it hasnt' been much of an issue since you don't ever need a certain class I still feel a dungeon finder would be a welcome addition to the game.

No, let's keep that bit of immersion breaking anti social game mechanics in WoW where all the other bad game mechanics are.

No game needs one.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by DavisFlight

No, let's keep that bit of immersion breaking anti social game mechanics in WoW where all the other bad game mechanics are.

No game needs one.

the tool does not make the game anti-social and it didn't make wow either it's the mechanics of the game and the drive to actually play the dungeon.. LF1M spam is not being social either... but that's a whole other discussion

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    Originally posted by DavisFlight

No game needs one.

the tool does not make the game anti-social and it didn't make wow either it's the mechanics of the game and the drive to actually play the dungeon.. LF1M spam is not being social either... but that's a whole other discussion

You're more likely to form a bond and dependency with someone if you have to interact with them to do a dungeon rather than just having the game plot you in with what amounts to a bot that you'll never see again.

GW2 wouldn't be having this problem if they hadn't instanced the dungeons.

Originally posted by Purutzil

Ooo fun list I can go over 10 things I dislike about GW2 but eh I'll cut back to be fair! Oh and I can list 10 good points to so don't worry, I'm not atleast extremely bias. Here we go, big ones and a few minor ones I'm to lazy to remove and add bigger points to the list for.

1.) Combat Clunkiness: Its a real hard thing to explain but combat in GW2 is just so... icky. It functions but I don't feel very smooth doing it. It lacks a sort of flow that absorbs me into the gameplay, with many of the 'components' that are suppose to flow together not really doing that. It just lacked on a sense of smoothness games like Tera could do while still providing an MMO world.

2.) Hearts: A nice change at first but BOY do they get old quick. I literally am at the point I despise hearts and wish the old quest system was in place. The issue comes that it does lop objectives together, and that means that you can have 3 boring tasks with a fun 'kill' objective and you will suffer for a long time trying to do that kill objective to finish the quest which can take a good deal of time. This only becomes worst as some quests are limited with mobs around and at times can just be extremely long and boring to do.

3.) Crafting: I actually like their direction in crafting... I just feel it was done a bit poorly. First, materials themselves call for rediculous quantities that even if you are actively picking every node, you want have nearly enough to actually get to the next tier where your currently farming stuff at. The discovery system is a fun idea, but outside cooking it just seems so poorly done and not that interesting. Would of been nice to have you making up some random components and letting you 'explore' more through research, possibly breaking materials though still giving you experience and letting you yield unexpected results.

4.) DE: What, but DE are a great thing in GW2? Well... not completely. My issue comes in how rapidly they return back. They feel less and less dynamic and more static as I see the same thing repeat over and over at the same place. As a supposed dynamic, its one of the most time structured things around. Any 'effect' is often temporary and doesn't matter. Add in that many become bugged and they forgot what a failsafe was, it makes things quite iffy quick.

5.) Skill variety: Are you level 30? Yes, Did you buy your elite skill your going to be using? Yes. Congrats, you have experienced everything GW2 has to offer you. I feel so uninspired to level in the game. The only motiviation is to hit cap since anything before that is just pointless filler. Yes, you get talents, but they feel so trivial and don't matter all that much. Many talents you get will leave your play style virtually the same. This makes the game quite boring and just unapealing leveling.

6.) Jumping Puzzles: Now now, I know your thinking "Well you must be bad at them, thats why this is a point" and its not true. I'm very good at them. The issue comes that they emphasize the clunky design of the graphics. Jumping puzzles force you to 'break rules' of sorts in the world creating very silly looking character movements that just isn't very feasible and looks quite dumb. Jumping up platforms is a cringe worthy thing that distracts from something that could be actually fun.

7.) Aiming/Targetting: Could technically be counted as clunky combat, but to me Its more of a gameplay issue. Aiming in this game is horrendous. I feel I have so much problems trying to it what I want, particularly with targetted attacks, you know, the thing thats usually considered the EASIEST thing to hit. This really makes it a horrible experience trying to enjoy the game when Im focusing on hitting one thing and I watch my attacks just go teach a little cricket cherping on the ground a lessen. it just feels so icky that it really bothers me. Another thing Tera did far better then GW2 (which sorry, but Tera is leagues above GW2 in combat, even if it lags behind in many other areas).

8.)Story: Played through twice, I can instantly predict what will happen with the third side (vigil) side. Most of the forks are already traveled and honestly, being able to change 3 things up my next play through wouldn't be enough to make it fresh. Difficulty in story can be laughably easy to rediculously hard depending on the mission, luck, and if the game decides to bug out ands crew you over. The story could dip in to being good to being completely facepalm worthy. Plenty of times of inconsistency and you will swear the one guy must of been around the neighborhood quite a few times and everyone was invited for a shot if you know what I mean with him. How I HATE the use of titles to address you. While yes, you can't have voice actives giving yuor exact name, the way its handled is just poor. You will hear things like 'commander' spewed out non stop for you, and all of a sudden they go spamming another character's first name like crazy. It feels so inconsistent doing it!

9.)Dungeons: Holy Mess Batman. I'm a raider and I'm fine with the trinity not being needed (least the old trinity, not to say they don't use a new trinity) but it feels like they really didn't do much to balance dungeons. Dungeons are virtually impossible without someone at least getting downed once. Ultimately, your dodges will be gone and the cc is missing and you can kiss yourself goodbye. Its not even that its hard out of taking skill, its hard out of having no resources left to use to save yourself. Its all on your team comp that you can live... and since it does involve a team comp... how the heck did that kill the trinity and what was suppose to be bad about it?

10.)  No Raids.: Yeah, I went there. I have more points but to me this is something I feel NEEDS to be brought up. Its fine that you don't want people to get this crazy gear or what not stuff your spew out, yada yada, but not having raids is really distracting for me. Its just one less thing to do with a group of people and 1 less way to gain glory in PvE which just simply lacks much 'worthwild' stuff to do. (Don't dare claim exploration and such cause every game has that and they don't get to make that claim). Was tempted to get another point in but I wanted this to stand since it just resonates a lot to me.

Bonus A.) Yes 12, but its less about the game and more about the devloper/publisher. I HATE their efforts to try and talk players down like they are idiot. The 'There is plenty of things to do' comment was priceless in that it lists stuff that virutally every mmo has one way or another. Their claim there is 'no grind' yet its stuffed full of it at the end. I just really dislike ANET after these comments and their attitude about it. Its a nit picky unrelated game aspect I know, but it bothers me and I just don't like it at all.

Why do  people keep saying this? THE DEVS NEVER SAID THIS. The only thing they said is that max stat items would be easy to get. And they are.

Grind has ALWAYS been in the guild wars franchise, just look at GW.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

Originally posted by austriacus

Originally posted by Purutzil Ooo fun list I can go over 10 things I dislike about GW2 but eh I'll cut back to be fair! Oh and I can list 10 good points to so don't worry, I'm not atleast extremely bias. Here we go, big ones and a few minor ones I'm to lazy to remove and add bigger points to the list for.   1.) Combat Clunkiness: Its a real hard thing to explain but combat in GW2 is just so... icky. It functions but I don't feel very smooth doing it. It lacks a sort of flow that absorbs me into the gameplay, with many of the 'components' that are suppose to flow together not really doing that. It just lacked on a sense of smoothness games like Tera could do while still providing an MMO world. 2.) Hearts: A nice change at first but BOY do they get old quick. I literally am at the point I despise hearts and wish the old quest system was in place. The issue comes that it does lop objectives together, and that means that you can have 3 boring tasks with a fun 'kill' objective and you will suffer for a long time trying to do that kill objective to finish the quest which can take a good deal of time. This only becomes worst as some quests are limited with mobs around and at times can just be extremely long and boring to do. 3.) Crafting: I actually like their direction in crafting... I just feel it was done a bit poorly. First, materials themselves call for rediculous quantities that even if you are actively picking every node, you want have nearly enough to actually get to the next tier where your currently farming stuff at. The discovery system is a fun idea, but outside cooking it just seems so poorly done and not that interesting. Would of been nice to have you making up some random components and letting you 'explore' more through research, possibly breaking materials though still giving you experience and letting you yield unexpected results. 4.) DE: What, but DE are a great thing in GW2? Well... not completely. My issue comes in how rapidly they return back. They feel less and less dynamic and more static as I see the same thing repeat over and over at the same place. As a supposed dynamic, its one of the most time structured things around. Any 'effect' is often temporary and doesn't matter. Add in that many become bugged and they forgot what a failsafe was, it makes things quite iffy quick. 5.) Skill variety: Are you level 30? Yes, Did you buy your elite skill your going to be using? Yes. Congrats, you have experienced everything GW2 has to offer you. I feel so uninspired to level in the game. The only motiviation is to hit cap since anything before that is just pointless filler. Yes, you get talents, but they feel so trivial and don't matter all that much. Many talents you get will leave your play style virtually the same. This makes the game quite boring and just unapealing leveling. 6.) Jumping Puzzles: Now now, I know your thinking "Well you must be bad at them, thats why this is a point" and its not true. I'm very good at them. The issue comes that they emphasize the clunky design of the graphics. Jumping puzzles force you to 'break rules' of sorts in the world creating very silly looking character movements that just isn't very feasible and looks quite dumb. Jumping up platforms is a cringe worthy thing that distracts from something that could be actually fun. 7.) Aiming/Targetting: Could technically be counted as clunky combat, but to me Its more of a gameplay issue. Aiming in this game is horrendous. I feel I have so much problems trying to it what I want, particularly with targetted attacks, you know, the thing thats usually considered the EASIEST thing to hit. This really makes it a horrible experience trying to enjoy the game when Im focusing on hitting one thing and I watch my attacks just go teach a little cricket cherping on the ground a lessen. it just feels so icky that it really bothers me. Another thing Tera did far better then GW2 (which sorry, but Tera is leagues above GW2 in combat, even if it lags behind in many other areas). 8.)Story: Played through twice, I can instantly predict what will happen with the third side (vigil) side. Most of the forks are already traveled and honestly, being able to change 3 things up my next play through wouldn't be enough to make it fresh. Difficulty in story can be laughably easy to rediculously hard depending on the mission, luck, and if the game decides to bug out ands crew you over. The story could dip in to being good to being completely facepalm worthy. Plenty of times of inconsistency and you will swear the one guy must of been around the neighborhood quite a few times and everyone was invited for a shot if you know what I mean with him. How I HATE the use of titles to address you. While yes, you can't have voice actives giving yuor exact name, the way its handled is just poor. You will hear things like 'commander' spewed out non stop for you, and all of a sudden they go spamming another character's first name like crazy. It feels so inconsistent doing it! 9.)Dungeons: Holy Mess Batman. I'm a raider and I'm fine with the trinity not being needed (least the old trinity, not to say they don't use a new trinity) but it feels like they really didn't do much to balance dungeons. Dungeons are virtually impossible without someone at least getting downed once. Ultimately, your dodges will be gone and the cc is missing and you can kiss yourself goodbye. Its not even that its hard out of taking skill, its hard out of having no resources left to use to save yourself. Its all on your team comp that you can live... and since it does involve a team comp... how the heck did that kill the trinity and what was suppose to be bad about it? 10.)  No Raids.: Yeah, I went there. I have more points but to me this is something I feel NEEDS to be brought up. Its fine that you don't want people to get this crazy gear or what not stuff your spew out, yada yada, but not having raids is really distracting for me. Its just one less thing to do with a group of people and 1 less way to gain glory in PvE which just simply lacks much 'worthwild' stuff to do. (Don't dare claim exploration and such cause every game has that and they don't get to make that claim). Was tempted to get another point in but I wanted this to stand since it just resonates a lot to me. Bonus A.) Yes 12, but its less about the game and more about the devloper/publisher. I HATE their efforts to try and talk players down like they are idiot. The 'There is plenty of things to do' comment was priceless in that it lists stuff that virutally every mmo has one way or another. Their claim there is 'no grind' yet its stuffed full of it at the end. I just really dislike ANET after these comments and their attitude about it. Its a nit picky unrelated game aspect I know, but it bothers me and I just don't like it at all.
    Why do  people keep saying this? THE DEVS NEVER SAID THIS. The only thing they said is that max stat items would be easy to get. And they are.

They may not have come out and said they removed the grind, but they did say they made it fun. They didn't. (make it fun)
    https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/the-endgame-reimagined/

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341

I'm with you on pretty much everything except the weapon skills.

GW1 when it was just prophecies didn't have that great a skill pool either. A lot of people are comparing GW2 now as a new game to GW1's skill diversity over the course of 3 separate games + an expansion, and at the end of all that GW1 ended up with too many skills and many of them redundant. I'm pretty happy with the amount of skills GW2 started with, and as more weapons are introduced later on through expansions and the like, that pool will continue to grow. I don't want it to become another discombobulated mess like GW1 was.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809
    " WvW Tutorial- Noticed many people jump in to WvW have no clue what is going on.. yes you got the npc that talks about the zones but think it could really benefit from a more robust tutorial on how everything works"---GW2 has perhaps the worst manual and tutorial I have ever seen an a mmo--. Crafting tutorial=none WTF did they forget
  • evolver1972evolver1972 Member Posts: 1,118

Geez.  Troll much?  There is nothing wrong with this game.  Everything you said is crap.

Signed,

Aerowyn

LOLOL  Ok, just having fun.  Isn't that how many of the haters characterize you?

I don't have time to write my list so I'll do it later.   Good list though, I agree with a lot of it.  Especially the build manager.

You want me to pay to play a game I already paid for???

Be afraid.....The dragons are HERE!

• akiira69akiira69 Member UncommonPosts: 615
    Originally posted by Z3R01

With 200 hours played the game is fine... stop making lists. I played SWTOR for 3 hours and uninstalled... that game deserves a list.

WOW a whole 3 hours and you think you know the whole game. It takes you 3 hours to get off the starting planet and choose a Class Spec, then another 5 - 6 hours to get your ship. You cant make a list for game with 3 hours of game play thats like writing a review for a book when the only info you have is from the short paragraph you read on the back of the book.

"Possibly we humans can exist without actually having to fight. But many of us have chosen to fight. For what reason? To protect something? Protect what? Ourselves? The future? If we kill people to protect ourselves and this future, then what sort of future is it, and what will we have become? There is no future for those who have died. And what of those who did the killing? Is happiness to be found in a future that is grasped with blood stained hands? Is that the truth?"

• snapfusionsnapfusion Member Posts: 954
    Originally posted by snapfusion

No in single player games I always play hard mode,  in MMO's everyone takes the easy mode and the path of least resistance, as soon as things get competive the rules change.

competetive for what? getting 100% map completion? skills little faster? level little faster? doesn't take long to get 80 for most people anyway.. for me I do what is more enjoyable.. when I have those markers on my map it turns into i must get to this SP or this Vista instead of just wandering around and exploring the zones.. with them off the leveling and questing aspects of this game are so much more enjoyable imho.

I guess you dont do much WvW.

even if you turned all the completion points off getting to 80 wouldnt take that long if you stuck to a single character.. WvW isn't going anywhere and if you really want to enjoy this aspect of the game I think it's played best turning them off.. now if all you want to do is level fast to play WvW then yes obviously leave them on and rush to 80.. it's all about how you want to play.

Your missing the entire point of my original thought, its not what I want to do verses what someone else might do, its creating a world thats inducing the same principles of persistence and achivement to everyone.  Not creating a happy buffet of have it your way you unique snowflake you.  Its a massive immersion breaker and creates a gameworld where most people are mindlessly running from map marker to map marker instead of just exploring the gameworld.

Originally posted by GeezerGamer

Originally posted by austriacus

Originally posted by Purutzil Ooo fun list I can go over 10 things I dislike about GW2 but eh I'll cut back to be fair! Oh and I can list 10 good points to so don't worry, I'm not atleast extremely bias. Here we go, big ones and a few minor ones I'm to lazy to remove and add bigger points to the list for.   1.) Combat Clunkiness: Its a real hard thing to explain but combat in GW2 is just so... icky. It functions but I don't feel very smooth doing it. It lacks a sort of flow that absorbs me into the gameplay, with many of the 'components' that are suppose to flow together not really doing that. It just lacked on a sense of smoothness games like Tera could do while still providing an MMO world. 2.) Hearts: A nice change at first but BOY do they get old quick. I literally am at the point I despise hearts and wish the old quest system was in place. The issue comes that it does lop objectives together, and that means that you can have 3 boring tasks with a fun 'kill' objective and you will suffer for a long time trying to do that kill objective to finish the quest which can take a good deal of time. This only becomes worst as some quests are limited with mobs around and at times can just be extremely long and boring to do. 3.) Crafting: I actually like their direction in crafting... I just feel it was done a bit poorly. First, materials themselves call for rediculous quantities that even if you are actively picking every node, you want have nearly enough to actually get to the next tier where your currently farming stuff at. The discovery system is a fun idea, but outside cooking it just seems so poorly done and not that interesting. Would of been nice to have you making up some random components and letting you 'explore' more through research, possibly breaking materials though still giving you experience and letting you yield unexpected results. 4.) DE: What, but DE are a great thing in GW2? Well... not completely. My issue comes in how rapidly they return back. They feel less and less dynamic and more static as I see the same thing repeat over and over at the same place. As a supposed dynamic, its one of the most time structured things around. Any 'effect' is often temporary and doesn't matter. Add in that many become bugged and they forgot what a failsafe was, it makes things quite iffy quick. 5.) Skill variety: Are you level 30? Yes, Did you buy your elite skill your going to be using? Yes. Congrats, you have experienced everything GW2 has to offer you. I feel so uninspired to level in the game. The only motiviation is to hit cap since anything before that is just pointless filler. Yes, you get talents, but they feel so trivial and don't matter all that much. Many talents you get will leave your play style virtually the same. This makes the game quite boring and just unapealing leveling. 6.) Jumping Puzzles: Now now, I know your thinking "Well you must be bad at them, thats why this is a point" and its not true. I'm very good at them. The issue comes that they emphasize the clunky design of the graphics. Jumping puzzles force you to 'break rules' of sorts in the world creating very silly looking character movements that just isn't very feasible and looks quite dumb. Jumping up platforms is a cringe worthy thing that distracts from something that could be actually fun. 7.) Aiming/Targetting: Could technically be counted as clunky combat, but to me Its more of a gameplay issue. Aiming in this game is horrendous. I feel I have so much problems trying to it what I want, particularly with targetted attacks, you know, the thing thats usually considered the EASIEST thing to hit. This really makes it a horrible experience trying to enjoy the game when Im focusing on hitting one thing and I watch my attacks just go teach a little cricket cherping on the ground a lessen. it just feels so icky that it really bothers me. Another thing Tera did far better then GW2 (which sorry, but Tera is leagues above GW2 in combat, even if it lags behind in many other areas). 8.)Story: Played through twice, I can instantly predict what will happen with the third side (vigil) side. Most of the forks are already traveled and honestly, being able to change 3 things up my next play through wouldn't be enough to make it fresh. Difficulty in story can be laughably easy to rediculously hard depending on the mission, luck, and if the game decides to bug out ands crew you over. The story could dip in to being good to being completely facepalm worthy. Plenty of times of inconsistency and you will swear the one guy must of been around the neighborhood quite a few times and everyone was invited for a shot if you know what I mean with him. How I HATE the use of titles to address you. While yes, you can't have voice actives giving yuor exact name, the way its handled is just poor. You will hear things like 'commander' spewed out non stop for you, and all of a sudden they go spamming another character's first name like crazy. It feels so inconsistent doing it! 9.)Dungeons: Holy Mess Batman. I'm a raider and I'm fine with the trinity not being needed (least the old trinity, not to say they don't use a new trinity) but it feels like they really didn't do much to balance dungeons. Dungeons are virtually impossible without someone at least getting downed once. Ultimately, your dodges will be gone and the cc is missing and you can kiss yourself goodbye. Its not even that its hard out of taking skill, its hard out of having no resources left to use to save yourself. Its all on your team comp that you can live... and since it does involve a team comp... how the heck did that kill the trinity and what was suppose to be bad about it? 10.)  No Raids.: Yeah, I went there. I have more points but to me this is something I feel NEEDS to be brought up. Its fine that you don't want people to get this crazy gear or what not stuff your spew out, yada yada, but not having raids is really distracting for me. Its just one less thing to do with a group of people and 1 less way to gain glory in PvE which just simply lacks much 'worthwild' stuff to do. (Don't dare claim exploration and such cause every game has that and they don't get to make that claim). Was tempted to get another point in but I wanted this to stand since it just resonates a lot to me. Bonus A.) Yes 12, but its less about the game and more about the devloper/publisher. I HATE their efforts to try and talk players down like they are idiot. The 'There is plenty of things to do' comment was priceless in that it lists stuff that virutally every mmo has one way or another. Their claim there is 'no grind' yet its stuffed full of it at the end. I just really dislike ANET after these comments and their attitude about it. Its a nit picky unrelated game aspect I know, but it bothers me and I just don't like it at all.

They may not have come out and said they removed the grind, but they did say they made it fun. They didn't. (make it fun)
    https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/the-endgame-reimagined/

Why? Because you dont find it fun? Im sorry but fun is a very subjective thing. I find it fun  and so do a lot of other people.

As a lvl 80 i can see that every thing on that article is true based off my experiences.

• tabindextabindex Member UncommonPosts: 70

I think I'll do the inverse. I'm real grumpy towards GW2, and have seen a recent post that "all I ever do is hate on it".  Here's my 10 things that I like about GW2.

1. Races. They're unique and for the most part look good.

2. No quest hubs. Not that I love the hearts system, but if quest hubs are a -10 on a scale of -1 to -10, then hearts are only a -5.

2a. No quest log with 400 quests to keep track of. (It's similar enough to 2. to be 2a.).

3. The cities. They look good, and have the feel of the race that they're home to.

4. Dyes.  I like having them as loot.  It's one of the few things that I honestly still feel that lil perk up at with excitement when I see one drop.

5. No dungeon finder.  I'm sure they'll add one, but I loathe them.  Not having one at least gives a tiny amount of player interaction (LFM spam may be spam, but I'll take it over total chat-silence).

6. The guild interface.  It's no EQ2, but it's not bad.

I can't think of anymore.  I'll edit this to add 7-10 if I can think of them.

:(

• RokurgeptaRokurgepta Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,136
    Originally posted by tabindex

I think I'll do the inverse. I'm real grumpy towards GW2, and have seen a recent post that "all I ever do is hate on it".  Here's my 10 things that I like about GW2.

1. Races. They're unique and for the most part look good.

2. No quest hubs. Not that I love the hearts system, but if quest hubs are a -10 on a scale of -1 to -10, then hearts are only a -5.

2a. No quest log with 400 quests to keep track of. (It's similar enough to 2. to be 2a.).

3. The cities. They look good, and have the feel of the race that they're home to.

4. Dyes.  I like having them as loot.  It's one of the few things that I honestly still feel that lil perk up at with excitement when I see one drop.

5. No dungeon finder.  I'm sure they'll add one, but I loathe them.  Not having one at least gives a tiny amount of player interaction (LFM spam may be spam, but I'll take it over total chat-silence).

6. The guild interface.  It's no EQ2, but it's not bad.

I can't think of anymore.  I'll edit this to add 7-10 if I can think of them.

:(

I will now admit to being wrong about you only posting negative stuff.

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

Since I apparently I can't say a single bad thing about GW2 figured I post my top 10 gripes I have with the game in no particular order..

Preach it! My list is not here but on my puter.

3. Build Manager- Game NEEDS some sort of build manager so you can set multiple trait builds and select between them whenever you want outside combat

8. DE Variety- I enjoy the DE system but it could benefit from a bit more variety accross the board and hopefully something planned for the near future.

there's only so much you can do with the five D's.

9. Weapon Skills- I don't really mind having them all unlocked so early but would like some sort of system similar to the utility skill system which would allow you to mix and match from a bigger pool of skills.. Loved picking from the huge pool of skills in GW1.. 

#4 skills are useless to me in pve. I ignore them on most weapons.

10. Crafting Variety- System overall is fine but would like if there was more variety in how you crafted between the professions.. basically cooking is the only odd ball and the rest play out the exact same...

I would like to see a special button for low level stuff so it disappears when we go to the next tier.

a few of mine are, notification of friends coming on offline, trophies in their very own inventory pane, im style chat for whispers as an option, haven't checked yet but a set of tools one could make at/for max level that need repairs instead of replenish.

I recently discovered GW2 Off forums won't let you login if you have special characters in your game/support password. odd.

• IsawaIsawa Member UncommonPosts: 1,051

1. Zoom - for whatever reason the camera uses a step zoom which doesn't allow you to place the camera where you want.. you basically have steps and it can only be placed in these steps which can get very annoying especially in tight spaces or when taking screenshots.

7. WvW Tutorial- Noticed many people jump in to WvW have no clue what is going on.. yes you got the npc that talks about the zones but think it could really benefit from a more robust tutorial on how everything works

Agree with zoom, although I remember the camera being worse back in beta. So improvement have been made.

Now I have seen you comment before on wanting the game to have a build manager , and I have also read that you're taking your time leveling, so I'm curious as to what your highest character is. I see this as a dumbing feature which allows too many play styles too easily since anyone could then switch between multiple trait selections at will. Even in a dungeon, one person could switch this 3 times and be at their best per encounter - instead of planning/thinking in advance! I solely see this as making the game easier.

I'm no fan of dungeon finders. Promoting silence and less interaciton between individuals is a no for me.

Could definitely have some sort of WvW tutorial improvement.

Yes, you thoughts on weapon skills choice improvement are nice.

• bleyzwunbleyzwun Member UncommonPosts: 1,087
    1. Zoom.  I need to zoom out much further.  
    2. Weapon Skills need more variety (unlock new weapon skills that you can swap out with one like slot skills, make these skills somewhat difficult to get and worthwile), and would be nice if Slot Skills switched when you weapon swapped.  Maybe even more slot skills.
    3. DEs should be tougher and more interesting.  Would be cool if certain DEs made a Map/World Wide impact.
    4. Gathering icons need to be unique and gathering tools should automatically swap out (forgot to swap on Orichalcum ore enough times to be annoyed).  
    5. I'm not a big fan of splitting up PvP and PvE zones.  I would like a 3 world zones similar to WvW, but it is like the regular PvE zones with PvP. 
    6. Rewards are not that great.  I don't mind it too much, but it would be cool if I got excited about a reward for once.  At first I felt like, "that's kinda cool I guess," to "yeah I guess I can use that sometime." to "eh... more of those?"
    7. Trading Post is a mess.  From getting the wrong notifications for a successful purchase  to being unable to type in search.  I also find it strange that there isn't a preview option for items.  So many items are also not worth selling on the TP.  Not sure what can be done, but  I find it odd that vendoring blues and greens is more profitable than the TP.
    8. Not enough variety in sPvP.  I would like to see different game types and a wider variety of team sizes. 
    9. Not enough fexibility with UI.  Would like to see movable and resizable UI.  
    10. Story is not interesting enough.  So far I feel the Humans and Asura have the best actors, and this causes me to like their storylines a little better.  Still, all of it has been pretty horrible.  The last part of the story was also such a let down.  I also feel as though my choices don't make much of an impact.  Really, nothing stood out about any of the stories... 
  • IndromeIndrome Member UncommonPosts: 292

[ ... ]

5. Hearts- i don't really mind doing them but feel the game overall would of been a lot better how it was orginially designed with only DE's and no hearts at all

[ ... ]

Would've liked that as well. Unfortunately early beta-testing showed that people were thoroughly lost without some sort of zone-progression path marker. One of the devs talked about it in an early interview.

The problem is that now people treat these simple "suggestions as to where to go in a zone" as their main source of exp, which they are not. There is a delicate balance between DEs and Hearts with Karma being the main determing factor. Why some people still treat DEs as the lesser game content is beyond me because they are the only source of Karma which in turn is needed for gear progression.

ANet has navigated themselves into a little corner here. With a lot of DEs being broken in endgame (my personal main ailment) sh*t needs to get fixed and going again ASAP or the stigma will stay.

(That said I am having a TON of fun with the DE chains that are working and enjoy every meta-event I find. Even in low level.)

• TheIronLegionTheIronLegion Member Posts: 269

As a GW2 fanboy here are my top 10 gripes:

1. The game is perfect.

2. The game is perfect.

3. The game is perfect.

4. The game is perfect.

5. The game is perfect.

6. The game is perfect.

7. The game is perfect.

8. The game is perfect.

9. The game is perfect.

10. The game is perfect.

...ok but seriously, I only have like 3 major gripes.

1. Very little instruction on some things. For instance, the mystic forge; Not very intuitive. I only know how to use it because another player sat down and gave me a really long run down.

2. The major DE's are a bit repetitive, though there are a few rare ones that you come across that make it worth while(for me).

3. I guess I lied i cant think of a third thing right now. I'll find something if I long on later..

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574

2. Story inconsistancy- I have played numerous stories upto level 20ish and I found some are really engrossing intersting and fun.. others are dull and boring.. there's a good mixture but needs a bit more consistancy.

4. sPVP Tournaments- I know it's coming but the full fledged tournaments really need ot get in quick

again i could go on for another 50 but those are my top 10 right now.. still game is amazing and having a blast even after almost 200 hours since lauch... back to Tyria:)

Good list and although I dont agree with some of them they are your opinion and I respect that.  Here is my list of gripes about the game.

1. Not a fan of the weapon and skill system.  I dont like the fact that most of my important abilities are obtained by level 30 (actually level 6 for weapons).
    2. Utilities skills feel to utility LOL.  I think it would be better if they were actually short cooldown class based spells/abilities that felt part of a rotation or something you would want to press more then just situationally.
    3. Not enough Elite skills and some are either underpowered (warrior juggernaut) or used more as a utility slot. (warrior signet of rage)
    4. not a fan of token system, I would prefer that bosses dropped items isntead of farming tokens to buy a specific item. I like the old school style better.
    5. Dungeon system feels too chaotic in a PUG setting, seeing as I am in a WvW guild its hard to find anything other then a pug.
    6.  sPvP - I think the game would be better if it didnt try to cater to the E-sport crowd.
    7. not enough jumping puzzles - would love to see like 4-5 per zone and each reward something unique.
    8. classes - I would of prefered a GW1 style approach to picking and choosing your own spells and abilities.
    9. Slightly too much grind for my personal liking
    10. Hearts - I think the game would of been so much better off without the use of reknown hearts, as it stands the hearts have the tendency to lead the player along a predetermined path which is too similar to all the reasons why I hate traditional themepark quest hub systems.

Edit, I forgot another thing I dont like:  If you turn free camera on it has a tendency to bug out when using keyboard turning.  I.E. it sometimes causes the A and D keys to turn the avatar but not the camera with it, this happens everytime I use a movement skill (Rush and WhirlWind Attack).  As such I have to keep Free camera unchecked which makes it harder to pan while running.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337
    1. Rather repetitive checklist gameplay, especially for achievers. How many times will you do the exact same things to achieve 100% map completion?
    2. The DE have only one outcome, success. That is, when they actually work.
    3. WvW queues are too big for the only game attraction with some replayability. The server match up is still bad and the outmanned buff is useless. Other problems with the WvW are the invisible zerg of players, ability lag when two armies are fighting next to each other or worse, abilities that don't fire at all, stun breakers that don't work in big zerg encounters and other balance issues.
    4. For a game that is all about collecting armors, it does not have a cosmetic armor slot.
    5. The story is nothing special unfortunately. Only the tie ins with the novels make it tolerable.
    6. DX9. Outdated engine, especially when you've seen what DX11 and tesselation is all about.
    7. Autoattack doesn't work. Have to spam 1 to keep on attacking otherwise it stops attacking. Too many miss (out of range) messages when I'm on top on somebody meleeing him.
    8. Game badly needs a raid interface for WvW. If your guild got more than 5 people in a battleground, tough luck, you can't see each other, can't coordinate or use a chat channel. Commander chat is a mess, he doesn't know who's in it, doesn't now who is in the squad and the squad doesn't show any different in the map. Just because the game doesn't have raids, it doesn't mean that it doesn't need a raid interface.
    9. I found the dungeon design horrible and unfitting to the classes and how those work. I was expecting more of a dynamic event style interaction, instead of a classic dungeon design, only with everybody being a tank and a healer, in a fashion.
    10. The only bad thing I can think about crafting is that it needs so much stuff to level up, so by the time you do, you'll be outgrowing whatever you are crafting. So, it ends up being a grind to 400 and items from that point onwards.

Originally posted by Xasapis
    1. Rather repetitive checklist gameplay, especially for achievers. How many times will you do the exact same things to achieve 100% map completion?
    2. The DE have only one outcome, success. That is, when they actually work. Seen numerous fail, especially now when going back to earlier zones wich are not as oversaturated like at launch
    3. WvW queues are too big for the only game attraction with some replayability. The server match up is still bad and the outmanned buff is useless. Other problems with the WvW are the invisible zerg of players, ability lag when two armies are fighting next to each other or worse, abilities that don't fire at all, stun breakers that don't work in big zerg encounters and other balance issues.
    4. For a game that is all about collecting armors, it does not have a cosmetic armor slot. Town clothes is a cosmetic slot but would be nice to have slot like Rift
    5. The story is nothing special unfortunately. Only the tie ins with the novels make it tolerable.
    6. DX9. Outdated engine, especially when you've seen what DX11 and tesselation is all about. I used tesselation and all the effects in TSW  it wasn't worth the performance drop on my higher end system imho
    7. Autoattack doesn't work. Have to spam 1 to keep on attacking otherwise it stops attacking. Too many miss (out of range) messages when I'm on top on somebody meleeing him. Never had an issue with auto attack.. there's a couple options in settings that help with targeting I'd mess with those see if it changes things for you
    8. Game badly needs a raid interface for WvW. If your guild got more than 5 people in a battleground, tough luck, you can't see each other, can't coordinate or use a chat channel. Commander chat is a mess, he doesn't know who's in it, doesn't now who is in the squad and the squad doesn't show any different in the map. Just because the game doesn't have raids, it doesn't mean that it doesn't need a raid interface.
    9. I found the dungeon design horrible and unfitting to the classes and how those work. I was expecting more of a dynamic event style interaction, instead of a classic dungeon design, only with everybody being a tank and a healer, in a fashion.
    10. The only bad thing I can think about crafting is that it needs so much stuff to level up, so by the time you do, you'll be outgrowing whatever you are crafting. So, it ends up being a grind to 400 and items from that point onwards.

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

Your missing the entire point of my original thought, its not what I want to do verses what someone else might do, its creating a world thats inducing the same principles of persistence and achivement to everyone.  Not creating a happy buffet of have it your way you unique snowflake you.  Its a massive immersion breaker and creates a gameworld where most people are mindlessly running from map marker to map marker instead of just exploring the gameworld.

thing is for me just running around the zones with no concrete objective is the most fun imho.. it's how I play skyrim and it's fun in this game.. you have no set path or anything just go off and see what happens.  I don't need extra incentives I just need the markers taken out of the picture which you have the option for... Obviously not everyone will try to play like this but as far as immersion and enjoying the zones I find it greatly increases my enjoyment of the zones.. others like the objectives and being led from point to point and to be able to get 100% map completion as fast as possible.. game has options for both.. generally someone who really just wants to wander and get immersed really could give a rats ass about making map completion or leveling fast.. play how you want the options are there... if you feel you need to be rewarded equally for how you want to play well thats on you...