Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Personal story poll

Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
Simple question, do you like the personal story and the instanced gameplay that feels like a single player RPG?

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

Comments

• ZzadZzad Member UncommonPosts: 1,401

I´m trully enjoying my Elementalist Asura personal story! to the point of "Yes, its awesome"

It´s a great addition to the game & it´s cool that some friends can join me to give a helping hand when needed since some quests are kind of hard...

I also love the branching in the story line..it gives so much sense of replayability...

How would have been if i chosed to strike a fight instead of alerting everyone? How would it be if i chosed to be in another order? Now i want to play all posibilities!!!

Only thing i really miss is a bigger impact on my "home" area....but i guess that will be adressed in future patches & expansions...

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935
    I voted "I didn't like it" b/c even though it is better than the likes of Tera, we've seen so many richer stories from recent MMOs (TOR, TSW).  The human stories I have watched are rather dull and cliche.  The Norn?  Slightly better but keeping track of the different clans and their names can be a little confusing at first.
  • Zeus.CMZeus.CM Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,788

I like it. It's not linear, lot's of choices from the very beggining. Voice acting is just fine for mmo, lip sync in cutscenes better than some AAA single player RPGs. Ending could have been better but okay. Voted: It's great.

My experience: Full Charr story, Asura Story to lv 20, Human Story to lv 20

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    Its not as good as TOR or TSW for me. Any other mmo its still better. I think that in general I enjoy it WAY more than other folks because I read the books. No MMO has better story than most of the sRPG's Ive played though.

• XzenXzen Member UncommonPosts: 2,607
    I thought it was ok and kind of typical. I voted "Let me see the results".
  • StayonboardStayonboard Member Posts: 77
    I personally hate it, waste of time and imo the content would have been better served elsewhere. I'm level 80, and my story mode is stuck at the level 40 range and I really don't even care to finish it.

Game itself is amazing tho but the personal story is garbage compared to say... Swtor. Too bad that game has good stories but awful game in general. I'll take the shortcomings here since the gameplay is miles ahead of anything else on the market.
  • Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

I dont understand people complaining about the voice acting... As if the story does not contain much more then just the voice acting...   Yes the voice acting is sub par, but most of the stories are just plain awesome, some story instances at thigher leels take over  an hour to play trough from which 3 minutes is actually voice acting

The story is much more richer then just the words being said.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

None of those fit for me. I was really enjoying my character's story until it became Trahearne's story - then i stopped giving a crap and it just became an XP mill for me.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426
    I think a simple x/10 poll would've been better. The personal story is enjoyable in my opinion, but writing is sometimes subpar, especially during the 1-20 quests. So, I guess I'll answer that it could've been better, but seeing how nothing is perfect that doesn't really say much.
  • ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Found it boring,didn't bother doing it.

Thats the good thing with gw2, you're not forced to do the things you find boring.
  • aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

Eh.. it's decent. The problem with the personal story is that it's very fragmented, and for whatever reason Anet didn't have their main writing team working on it.

I was shocked when I found out, cause it seems like a no brainer to have your main writing team working on the main story for launch. Instead, apparently they were working more on event dialogue & editing parts of the personal story for cohesiveness here & there. I think that really shows in just how fragmented the the personal story is, as well as how inconsistant it is.

Some parts of the story are really well done, but it kind of gets overshadowed by the parts that are very lackluster, or downright laughable.

For example, in the human storyline there's an interested plotline to discover what happened to your missing parents. However, it just kind of ends before any real resolution or plot twists come into play, and instead it's just forgotten about for the next plotline. Really dissappointing.

However, other personal storylines (like the Charr's 'Thicker than Water' quest) are quite well done. I read that Anet now has their main writing team designated to looking at the personal story, and possibly revamping it. I hope they do, though it's baffling why they didn't do that before launch.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

I dont understand people complaining about the voice acting... As if the story does not contain much more then just the voice acting...   Yes the voice acting is sub par, but most of the stories are just plain awesome, some story instances at thigher leels take over  an hour to play trough from which 3 minutes is actually voice acting

The story is much more richer then just the words being said.

I think some of the voice acting in the game is great, others are terrible. My Sylvari female for instance sounds a tad retarded. I think they were going for naive, but it doesnt come across as endearing at all, and isnt really how I would have liked my character to sound.

But as you said, its only for minor amounts of time so I just deal with it. Its a shame that there werent 3 voices though, one per dominant trait (ie: an agressive one, a charming one and a noble one), as no matter how you play your character they all end up saying the same thing (after you make your quest choices of course).

Some other voice acting has been brilliant, like the jokes about Quaggans and how they go 'oooooh' all the time, and a pirate of Penzan singing along to 'I am the very model of a modern Major-General' with altered words. And the general background chatter in some areas is brilliant too, really brings the world to life. Laughed out loud as I ran past a soldier talking about her no good husband and how she now has something to live for - so she can go home and dump him.

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773
    Originally posted by aesperus

Eh.. it's decent. The problem with the personal story is that it's very fragmented, and for whatever reason Anet didn't have their main writing team working on it.

I was shocked when I found out, cause it seems like a no brainer to have your main writing team working on the main story for launch. Instead, apparently they were working more on event dialogue & editing parts of the personal story for cohesiveness here & there. I think that really shows in just how fragmented the the personal story is, as well as how inconsistant it is.

Some parts of the story are really well done, but it kind of gets overshadowed by the parts that are very lackluster, or downright laughable.

For example, in the human storyline there's an interested plotline to discover what happened to your missing parents. However, it just kind of ends before any real resolution or plot twists come into play, and instead it's just forgotten about for the next plotline. Really dissappointing.

However, other personal storylines (like the Charr's 'Thicker than Water' quest) are quite well done. I read that Anet now has their main writing team designated to looking at the personal story, and possibly revamping it. I hope they do, though it's baffling why they didn't do that before launch.

Yea that's odd but what I'm thankful for is they focused more so on the actual MMORPG part of the game than the story, cause honestly I all te single player games coming out, I'll have my story fix on those lol.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• SomeOldBlokeSomeOldBloke Member UncommonPosts: 2,167
    Is it really a personal story, if you have two characters of the same race isn't the story the same? How can that be personal?
  • TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155
    Originally posted by mbd1968
    Is it really a personal story, if you have two characters of the same race isn't the story the same? How can that be personal?

Precisely, which is why I consider "personal developer-crafted stories" to be an abomination for MMORPGs. Single player games are for such stories, for MMORPGs I strongly prefer to learn about the world I "live in" and watch it evolve rather than having some form of "personal" story that is repeated for every person who makes the same "choices". 

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192
    I usually don't mind personal quests and a bit of instancing, but i find it to be nuisance in gw2 for some reason.Id much rather stay in the open world and do stuff there.
  • BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

I've never heard this "bad" voice acting people keep talking about...

And I am playing a human.

I mean, I'm going human commoner + vigil so it's about as "typical" of a fantasy story as you can get and it is still great.

At around lvl 36 story content, no spoilers please! lol

• gwei1984gwei1984 Member UncommonPosts: 413

Personal story is unfortunately quite bad and full of fantasy clichees.  Voice acting is also only descent. Especially the human female rogue voice is not very well done.

Dont like the "cutscene" style with the 2 puppets on each side. It just doesnt immerse me into the world. I dont really get it why they have decided for this, cause they have a wonderful world. Then for gods sake, why not show it in cutscenes for the personal story.

So, I dont really mind to play my story any further, because Im just not interested in what will happen to these characters :(

Hodor!

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380
    The personal story is awesome (Asura).
  • BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

Yes and no.

There are 2-3 different choices per race that GREATLY change the story.

For example, on a human your choice of background (noble, commoner, street rat) and your choice of "past regret" (sister disappeared, true parents unknown, never joined circus) all give you VASTLY different story experiences.

Then of course you get to choose which of the 3 orders you join up with which all have their own story (Vigil, Priory, Whispers)

I think it goes -

1-10 is your background, 11-20 is your past choice, 20-30 is choosing an order, 30-40 is mission(s) for order, and after that I'm really not too sure.

• GolbezTheLionGolbezTheLion Member UncommonPosts: 347

If both those characters are the same race, yet align with two different factions, then the story will be very different indeed.

• JabasJabas Member UncommonPosts: 1,249

I dont play mmorpg for personal rpg adventures, but i confess i like the personal story so far (Asura ele 62, order of whispers).

I can do the next one when i want, so doesnt interfear with my open world progression, and the story is connected to the world, i even found cool that is a instance of part of the territory. The story itself remind me a little "Games of Throne" with all that intrigues around :)

• jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,571

I've done very little of the personal story solo. Most of it has been done with a friend, we do mine then his or vice versa. Go do some more DE's and exploring then when we get to the appropriate level for the next stage we go and do that. Both stories have converged at points and if you're in the other guy's version you get the option to progress your own story to the next level and get the rewards for the one completed. Nice touch that.

My only gripe with the voice acting is the Sylvari. Worst English accents ever, bar none.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937

For  me it was between "it's great" and "it's fun but voice acting is terrible".

Probably because not all of the voice acting is terrible. Some of it is though.

I just voted "it's great' as it seems that's the part of the game I enjoy the most.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • rungardrungard Member Posts: 1,035

i thought they were great in general. A nice little diversion.

im not that picky on the voice overs, and the content is standard rpg fare.

if that was all there was to the game i might expect more but overall i got more than i expected.