Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Raph Koster on SWTOR

noncleynoncley Member UncommonPosts: 718

http://www.raphkoster.com/2012/09/17/ogda-meeting/#more-4248

[mod edited thread title]

Direct cut and pate. The smiley is his.

"As far as SWTOR goes, I had and have a lot of friends working on it… but I think anyone could deduce that I am not a fan of the very heavy storytelling approach, as I think that it a) downplays what MMOs do best and uniquely and b) drives exorbitant costs that increase risk and therefore conservatism. That said, they did it really well. :)

Gordon left quite a while before it shipped. I know, because he came to work at Playdom. I don’t really know the exact circumstances of why he left, nor would they be mine to reveal in any case.:)"

Comments

• LowdosLowdos Member Posts: 644

Quite the exaggeration, there.

And it would appear that all MMOs are slowly dying, one way or another.

• halflife25halflife25 Member Posts: 737
    Ok i came in expecting to see Raph 'laughing..LAUGHING at slow death of SWTOR.' But all i saw  was two smilies and one random referenece to SWTOR.
  • LowdosLowdos Member Posts: 644
    The OP should consider a job writing for the Daily Mail. (UK tabloid)
  • BoldynBoldyn Member Posts: 265

Your english skills aren't that good I take it?

She wasn't being sarcastic at the end. She explains that she doesn't like that kind of gameplay but THAT BEING SAID, they did it pretty good.

...If you are gonna spend your life as a pathetic troll who makes himself feel good by putting others down, learn to do it properly.

• kadepsysonkadepsyson Member UncommonPosts: 1,919
    Man what a letdown of an OP
  • moguy2moguy2 Member Posts: 337

This is not the droid I was looking for.

Begone!

• noncleynoncley Member UncommonPosts: 718
    You fanbois have no sense of humour.
  • BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    Originally posted by Boldyn

She wasn't being sarcastic at the end. She explains that she doesn't like that kind of gameplay but THAT BEING SAID, they did it pretty good.

...If you are gonna spend your life as a pathetic troll who makes himself feel good by putting others down, learn to do it properly.

Just a correction: Raph is definitely a guy.  :)

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by Lowdos
    The OP should consider a job writing for the Daily Mail. (UK tabloid)

their too busy talking about the karda$ian$ image

• immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610
    The OP should consider a job writing for the Daily Heil. (UK tabloid)

Just corrected that for you. :)

• BoldynBoldyn Member Posts: 265
    Originally posted by BillMurphy
    Originally posted by Boldyn

Just a correction: Raph is definitely a guy.  :)

And I was really set out to correct that aswell, but in my frustration with peoples behaviour (also shown by my lemming-like willingness to follow down their dark path..), I forgot it!

I am sorry Raph!

• noncleynoncley Member UncommonPosts: 718
    Originally posted by halflife25
    Ok i came in expecting to see Raph 'laughing..LAUGHING at slow death of SWTOR.' But all i saw  was two smilies and one random referenece to SWTOR.

Those aren't just any 'SMILIES'.

They are 'SARCASTIC SMILIES'.

Look 'em up.

• GitmixGitmix Member UncommonPosts: 605

Raph's the man ! Too bad he started working on "social" MMOs, I won't be following him there this time.

But then again...never say never !

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

Some very interesting & complex points touched upon in this talk. Thanks for posting it!

I'd definitely recommend people interested in making games watch this (and read some of the material he mentions)! He touches on a lot of good points and problems with the industry.

• skydiver12skydiver12 Member Posts: 432

The Issue with SWTOR is, MMOs need an environment where [they] can prosper slowly, grow, constant evolve.

EAWARE is all about the quick buck. Squeezing everything left out, and spending the money elswhere to keep record sales, because an amazing runnin mmo even with 4 million subs does not get near raw box and dlc sale numbers across platforms like the yearly FIFA, Madden, Dragon Age, ME franchise.

All EAWare wanted was high box sales, that's what they got.
    How can any MMO prosper with such a developer? It's a shame that the sw franchise and the people working on the story and art got ra*** again by a milking company.

And it certainly didn't help to have incompetend "voiced" devs, shouting at the community things like "It's your fault you don't like our [bugged, half implemented] feature" instead on working, reshaping and finishing features. Or at least admitting errors instead of spinning them like "mega", "meaty" additions.

Nice read anyway thanks!

• UkiahUkiah Member Posts: 273
    Originally posted by skydiver12

And it certainly didn't help to have incompetend "voiced" devs, shouting at the community things like "It's your fault you don't like our [bugged, half implemented] feature" instead on working, reshaping and finishing features. Or at least admitting errors instead of spinning them like "mega", "meaty" additions.

Am I the only one who thought that  in every interview, Ohlen looked like he had a VICIOUS case of diarrhea and was desperate to get off camera?

• starwarsnutstarwarsnut Member UncommonPosts: 230
    Other thing about james ohlen is hes an arrogant sob constantly saying "we have the best pvp team" when swtor has the most epic fail pvp i have ever seen not to mention how badly ilum went. Then to see him selling a custom ui and group finder like its content that was quite embarrassing to say the least. Imagine wow or gw2 making a huge deal about a group finder or custom ui. Its like an mmo in the lat 90's going hey we have copy and paste from chat!! exciting new features here!
  • YakamomotoYakamomoto Member Posts: 363

So.. SWG 2.... When?

:D

• smh_alotsmh_alot Member Posts: 976
    Originally posted by noncley

Originally posted by halflife25

Those aren't just any 'SMILIES'.

They are 'SARCASTIC SMILIES'.

Look 'em up.

? Are you sure that's not just wishful thinking from your side? A normal smiley and a sarcastic smiley both are exactly the same, so the context should make the difference clear. His comments from what I saw points to a normal smiley. I googled on Raph Koster and 'the Old Republic' out of curiosity, but couldn't really find any other SWTOR related quotes of him that'd point towards it being a sarcastic smiley. The 2nd smiley after the Gordon leaving comment is there in the OP, but isn't present in the source comment where the link in the OP points to. At least, no 2nd smiley as far as I can see in the link (wrong link?)

Meh, anyway... found a link to a Raph interview about SWG while googling, so I guess this thread hasn't been completely trivial to me.
  • ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    The issue with swtor, its not like starwars

In a starwars mmo, I want to;
    Be in wars, like the battle for hoth
    Or space battles
    Or smuggle stuff while persuade by a star destroyer
    Or break into jabbas palace
    Or really learn to use a lightsaber
    Or be a bloomin wookie

But my few weeks in swtor as a trooper, were
    Endless boring political stuff (so I guess they got PM in there then)
    Using mailboxes, crafting stations and other medieval fantasy troppes
  • LoverNoFighterLoverNoFighter Member Posts: 294
    Originally posted by Yakamomoto

So.. SWG 2.... When?

Oh how I whish for that day to come.

SWG pre cu > all the crappy MMOs of today.

• Acebets70Acebets70 Member UncommonPosts: 269
    !!! Some one said SWG 2????? sigh back to bed i go....(puts away lightning cannon)  zzZZZzzzZZzz
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Quite the exaggeration, there.

And it would appear that all MMOs are slowly dying, one way or another.

Yeah, MMOs needs something new and fresh if the genre want to live. Surprisingly many people here seems to think that a remake of UO, AC or EQ would help but I doubt it.

Massive multiplayer RPGs have a huge untapped potential but Biowares idea of making them more like singleplayer RPGs just didnt work. Worth trying it though, but they should have gone the opposite direction instead.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by LoverNoFighter
    Originally posted by Yakamomoto

So.. SWG 2.... When?

Oh how I whish for that day to come.

SWG pre cu > all the crappy MMOs of today.

Yeah, SWG was the best game ever which its massive player numbers showed... Or not.

SWG did some things really right, like crafting and player owned stores. It also had a lot of features not so great.

A better coded version of SWG with new graphics still wouldnt reach half a million subs, it would take more.

• gothagotha Member UncommonPosts: 1,074
    I think he is correct in talking about story.  Smart guy