Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I had more fun in Guild Wars 1

Comments

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    TSW ability system and progression is more akin to GW1 than GW2 is.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935
    I'd have to agree.  I think I had more fun in GW1.  In the end, I think GW1 is a better game.
  • JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321
    Just me but I can never go back to a quest hub, gear grinding EQ/WoW clone. Loved LoTRO, EQ2, and for a while SWToR GW2 put the fun of playing just for the sake of exploring and socializing back in the game for me

I miss DAoC

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    Originally posted by Jackdog
    Just me but I can never go back to a quest hub, gear grinding EQ/WoW clone. Loved LoTRO, EQ2, and for a while SWToR GW2 put the fun of playing just for the sake of exploring and socializing back in the game for me

How do you socialize and explore in GW 2? Just curious because it seems to me everything is pointed out for you on the map so what is left to explore for? I guess looking for DE's is the only thing I can think of.

Also socialize? I never felt less need to socialize, except for maybe SW:TOR. Difference here is that you atleast play with other people when you bump into them doing the same Heart or DE quest. But I rarely or ever need to actually speak or coordinate anything with them.

Only instances I have actually socialized is when doing dungeons...

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066
    Originally posted by Yamota

How do you socialize and explore in GW 2? Just curious because it seems to me everything is pointed out for you on the map so what is left to explore for? I guess looking for DE's is the only thing I can think of.

Also socialize? I never felt less need to socialize, except for maybe SW:TOR. Difference here is that you atleast play with other people when you bump into them doing the same Heart or DE quest. But I rarely or ever need to actually speak or coordinate anything with them.

First if you don't feel the need to socialize, why do you want to socialize?

There is something  here that doesn't make sense.

Or do you mean since people aren't forced to socialize they don't socialize with you?

If you want to explore,why are you following the map? Why don't you disable the map markers?

Are you being penalized if you aren't as fast as you could be? Does the map tell you how to jump to that vista over there?

Are you competing with other players to get somewhere?

Why are you sacrificing your personal satisfaction of exploring? Because the other dude has a GPS and so you feel gimped?

And no, not everything is marked in the map.

Socializing isn't restricted to talking or chatting and coordination happens by just playing your character - whenever you use a CC or cripple the mob attacking your fellow player, whenever you notice the other guy is green and you drop a combo field able to remove conditions you are coordinating.

Interesting blogposton this:

http://biobreak.wordpress.com/2012/10/01/guild-wars-2-playing-together-alone-together/

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

Originally posted by bcbully
    TSW ability system and progression is more akin to GW1 than GW2 is.

You know, if I fire GW1 now and go PuG, I bet there will be a monk with ressurrect, I bet I'll find a monkwith mending, I bet I'll find a ritualist without FoMF, I bet I'll find an elementalist with flare, I bet half of them will have a self-heals (yeah self healing sucked in GW1)... and you know what?

It sucked.

that is why most players given the options of going with AI party members or humans went with AI - at least Ai idiocy is predictable and you can adjust for it.

Many people complain that GW2 system is too restrictive compared to GW1, but at least almost all weapons are viable allowing all professionsto have a few different builds pre-traits/runes.

Can't  say the same of GW1 where in some cases I've over 100 skills to choose but I only actually choose between 12.

Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

Originally posted by MorpheusMJW

Skills are lacking for PvP: GW1, was so phenominal for PVP because you have 8 slots and hundreds and hundreds of skills to chose from, so you don't really know what your opponent has equipped until they use them on you and you react. With GW2, you see a warrior with a hammer, you can automatically narrow down his skill count massively, except for his ulility skills, this isn't a huge issue but still feel PvP is lacking.

So you're comparing GW1+4 expansions (which added hundreds of skilsl per expansion) to an initial launch GW2? GW1 was in the same place GW2 is when it first launched, if Arenanet is interested enough, they'll release expansions with new classes and new set of skills just like they did with GW1.

• dontadowdontadow Member UncommonPosts: 1,005

I think the problem with this post is understanding the difference between difficult and different.  

-Story Quests - The biggest difference between GW1 and GW2 is that GW1 allowed no checkpoints in instances.  I never finished playing it. As a normal person, I didnt have 2 hours to repeat an entire storyquest. I felt there was a way to balance this, but this is what this crowd wanted.  In GW2 I find the diffiuclty to be about the same once you get past the intro story stuff at level 30.  Checkpoints are there but things reset. The wife and I found this, at times, to be more difficult, as the creatures reset but your armor damage doesnt.  I loved that there are actual times where it is far better to just reset the story as opposed to continue on more weakened and without a plan.  

As for their continuity, I refer to what you said about leveling, which, counteracts your complaint about the story.  Usually story quests are 3 levels away from one another. They are closer depending on how close the next phase of the story relates to the previous phase.  By the time I get to the area, participate in the events and heart quests on the route I am usually well above the level of the quest.  

This is a common problem with the way people play the game, and yes you have to play this game different. You can't just jump from quest point to quest point ala every other MMO. You actually have to do some exploring along the way. If you don't want to play like this fine, but you will be underleveled in places. 

PVP - Again, another esageration by the OP.  GW 1 had 6 skill slots.  GW 2 has 10. So, take away the 5 that are allicated to a weapon (that change with weapon swapping).  There are still a heal and 3 utility slots that can take up to 30 additional skills.  Not to mention a slot that can take an additional 10 skills.  You have as near a combination pattern as you do with GW1.  All weapon slots did ws organize groups of skill slots.  

Dungeons - You like the Trinity.  Again, you knew this goig in. So you're playing hte wrong game.  This is a game that demands you think on the fly, figure out whose doing what and where. You also can organize groups in voice chat programs, like every other game or type out strategies ahead of time, like every other game. The difference is i'm not saying "tank, heal, dps.... beep beep". YOu're saying look you go here do this, you do this. IF this happens you fall back and do this and then o udo this.  It is real strategy.  Trinity is not strategy, it's the game telling you what you're doing and you shut up and do it.".  

From all accounts the dungeons are quite difficult, especially in explorable mode.  ARe they undefeatedable. no, who would design a quest that couldn't be defeated.  

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148
    I found GW1 to be a very boring non-mmo.  It was a lobby game with an odd 'pick a skill' system, sluggish gameplay, and lacked anything other lobby rpgs have, such as action based combat and an exciting loot system.   It was the first game to take the bad parts of mmos and leave out the good.  I'm still baffled by it's 'success' today.
  • KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    Originally posted by adam_nox
    I found GW1 to be a very boring non-mmo.  It was a lobby game with an odd 'pick a skill' system, sluggish gameplay, and lacked anything other lobby rpgs have, such as action based combat and an exciting loot system.   It was the first game to take the bad parts of mmos and leave out the good.  I'm still baffled by it's 'success' today.

The main reason GW1 was successful was its pvp. Not many mmos do the balanced pvp approach and they catered to that crowd.

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363

I played GW1 and prefer GW2 as the depth of the NPC interactions and general play has more depth than GW1. The original chapter of GW had a great storyline and after that not so much.

As far as Game Play - it is very different and a hybrid of many different games and also PvP style is also part of it. I think the idea is, you don't have to change playing style to go between PvP and PvE.

• DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,203

Hello all, I haven't logged in Guild Wars 2 in about 1-2 weeks, just because I'm not having fun and had much more fun grinding my HoM, dungeons and PVP in Guild Wars 1 and I feel this is why.

1)  Lack of continuous story:  Doesn't bother me, really.  Many MMOs don't even HAVE these anyway.

2)  Basically no roles in dungeons:  There are, should people wish to spec for and use them.  If they don't, that's the way they like to play and since they paid for the game, how they play is up to them.  I know this makes wannabe tanks and old-schoolers bottom lip quiver as they shed a few tears for the good old days, but I certainly don't give a crap about that.  After more than a decade of the trinity, I'm glad I have a game (one game!) that does away with such cookie-cutter archetypes.  It's not like people didn't know this in advance before buying the game, for pete's sake!

3)  Skills are lacking for PvP:  With GW2, you see a warrior with a hammer, you can automatically narrow down his skill count massively, except for his ulility skills, this isn't a huge issue but still feel PvP is lacking.  Not a big issue to me, really, but I concede it may be for others.  Not that that means I care, you understand. :)

4)  Bugs, exploits and hacks: Well, you have a point, but I have played quite a few games where this happened, and it was fixed eventually.  Patience is a virtue.

5)  Generally, everything is too easy: I could point to virtually every MMO in the last 10 years and say that.  My cure for that in GW2 (and most other MMOs) is to push my characters into zones that are higher in level than I am.  That means things are more interesting and I'm not killing mobs I can faceroll straight off.  I know I could "downgrade" in GW2 and get XP there, but after you've spent 20 or 30 skillpoints the abilities you have can sometimes make things a bit easy/one-sided in lower-level zones.

By the way I don't know where this is coming from but I've seen it a few times - GW1 has 8 skill slots not 6 (rezzes took a skill slot).

• gothagotha Member UncommonPosts: 1,074

The leveling in zones with events and the wvw blow any other MMO out of the water.  GW2 is the first MMO I have played where i play because their is something fun to do not because i want to reach a level.

The personal story is pretty meh,  and from the little of gw1 i tried it was meh there also.    The bugged stories  also make me not want to run them till after a major update.

I have had fun in the dungeons and prefer this style over the old one.  Its a choice thing but i was not a big fan of dungeons before this.

From what i have read i think I also would prefer the GW1 skill system but with the gw2 movement oriented combat.  I am hoping this changes as expansion comeout.

Also they do fit a lot of random skills in certain areas.  In traits,  in combos,  in enviromental weapons,  ect. ect.  I think its a little more complicated then people think.

• TekaelonTekaelon Member UncommonPosts: 604
    Originally posted by SuperDonk
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    How did gw2 screw up progression?

Oh you mean for once its not a EQ inspired raid grinder?

Bots are a problem, but bots are a problem in any popular mmo, look at wow.

They screwed up progression because I didn't care to keep leveling to get more skills, I didn't care to keep leveling to get better gear.

GW2 has to be the most boring MMO I have ever played, every zone feels the same, you have most of your important skills before level 25.

I understand that I have never reached the highest level, 80, but I can't remember a MMO where I had no interest in leveling to max level, except GW2. I felt like I had already seen it all at level 25.

If getting new gear that looks "prettier" is a goal of yours, I won't fault that. But for me I want new gear that is better than what I'm wearing.

Maybe I've been brain washed into thinking that purple is better, but at least in other games I had purples and new skills to look forward to. GW2 feels like a FPS game to me, here you go, you unlocked a grenade launcher, congrats, but it's no different than your hand grenades we already gave you, except they shoot 5% further...

There are  games out there for you. Tera, Rift, WoW, LOTRO, and many others. I played GW1 for over 2 years and enjoyed every bit of it. However for me there is fun at every turn in Guild Wars 2. I am enjoying the story and your statement every zone is just like the lat is just not true. My challenge for you would be to go find a game that meets your play style criteria and then return here and explain why it's better. Good luck 

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Best mmo in a decade. Last mmos I like this much were that long ago

Eve, daoc, planetside, coh.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Originally posted by SuperDonk

GW2 lacks depth. It is the shallowest MMO I have ever played. So boring.

Most, wait, ALL of the mmos I have ever bought had some level of satisfaction when leveling up, except GW2. I never tried GW1 so I can't compare the two, but GW2 compared to just about every non-F2P was a fail... I played STO and champions online longer.

GW2 screwed up progression, the tried and true formula for any mmo. I'll give them credit for trying something new, but what they tried just isn't working. There is still a lot of GW2 fans, but they are dropping like flies, soon everyone but the biggest fanboys will realize that GW2 is the most shallow and hand holding MMO ever created.

I pray for the day that MMO makers turn back the clock and start to make MMO like they used to be, enough with the hamster wheel crap. I want long term progression that matters.

If someone finally makes a sandbox worth playing that is not named EvE, they will have a fan for life in me.

Well, I've said it before, you really can't have a proper MMORPG without a steady, consistent progression curve with meaningful objectives for players to continue to strive for.

Now I realize we all like different things, so for some folks grinding out a Legendary in GW2 is pretty great but certainly a large segment of the market would find that utterly pointless unless it provided a power advantage of some sort.

Just a difference in game design, and if you favor the more traditional progression model you'll probably have difficulty staying with GW2 for the long haul. (GW1 had very similar issues and was viewed as big fun or big waste depending on your tastes)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809
      I agree, GW1 had more structure to the quests and PvP,  I loved the companions almost made it like BG2.  GW2 makes me feel like a chicken with its head cut off. wandering around with no purpose, scattered quests with no direction. The manual is worthless and so is the Wiki.  The World in GW2 looks nice and it is fun to explore for awhile but after awhile you start to wonder why you are still playing
  • ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Bully:
    Too bad tsw took that great skill system and saddled the game with wow clone pvp. Would have worked much better if they'd copied gw1 or gw2 and dropped the gear grind.
  • DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,203
    Originally posted by gotha
    I think its a little more complicated then people think.

Yeah, some people just like a routine, and flounder without it, poor guys.  They like their box and don't like being made to think outside of it.  :D

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

Lack of continuous story :  Yeah remember in other games that just launched how you couldn't login at ALL, or how you were stuck in a queue forever, or how about when npcs you were supposed to get quests from didn't draw. Yeah, games will have bugs welcome to week three of their repairing the launch problems due to overwhelming demand.

Basically no roles in dungeons: Actually support and control are needed. You can literally keep bosses from harming friends for a time and literally prevent that final blow to put you in the downed state. All you have to do is THINK. It amazes me the number of people who don't think because they've been used to being pandered to (pun intended) by the EQ lobby style clones.

Skills are lacking for PvP:  LOL sorry had to laugh at that one, it doesn't take much to research a little before pvp. All the skills are freely available to you on the internet, and knowing a little something about them will save you humiliation. Besides, playing without an escape option is just crazy as there are pleanty of knockdowns per class. 

Bugs, exploits and hacks:  First of all, browsers are the most unsecure thing ever, hackers can get in to do anything these days and glancing someone's info for passwords is no biggie for most. My roomie works in the field I know first hand. This combined with the legendary poor security of microsoft products and the knowledge that Every mmo has had security issues with accounts means you're argument is null. Every gaming co has had to deal with this. Heck even blizz had and inside job where a few support people got together and helped gold farmers get gold in order to get some money from the gold farmers AFTER blizz made and distributed the authenticators. Didn't get much press, but some of us were paying attention :)

Generally, everything is too easy: Weird. I've been reading complaint after complaint in their forums about how hard the dungeons are because they think that the trinity should be in there. It amazes me how people can imply that the lack of roles makes things more difficult and then say that the dungeons are far too easy.

While the game has it's share of issues, none of these are problems.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter
    Originally posted by Yamota

First if you don't feel the need to socialize, why do you want to socialize?

There is something  here that doesn't make sense.

Or do you mean since people aren't forced to socialize they don't socialize with you?

If you want to explore,why are you following the map? Why don't you disable the map markers?

Are you being penalized if you aren't as fast as you could be? Does the map tell you how to jump to that vista over there?

Are you competing with other players to get somewhere?

Why are you sacrificing your personal satisfaction of exploring? Because the other dude has a GPS and so you feel gimped?

And no, not everything is marked in the map.

Socializing isn't restricted to talking or chatting and coordination happens by just playing your character - whenever you use a CC or cripple the mob attacking your fellow player, whenever you notice the other guy is green and you drop a combo field able to remove conditions you are coordinating.

Interesting blogposton this:

http://biobreak.wordpress.com/2012/10/01/guild-wars-2-playing-together-alone-together/ 

I meant the need to socialize to solve some problem or overcome an obstacle. I wont socialize just for the sake of socializing, then I would just load up a chat program or something.

As for disabling the map markers, yeah I could that but that is like saying if you want permanent death then just delete your character when you die. It does not work like that because you are playing a game as designed and not how you want it to be designed.

E.g. I would explore the unknown, not imagine that it is unknown by turning of the map markers.

• TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155
    Originally posted by DMKano
    Originally posted by Gardavsshade

Yes, I am PvPing again. Imagine THAT.  WvWvW reminds me so much of DAoC... with much better graphics and less lag ;)

Same here GW2 WvWvW has that DAoC feel - but I must admit, even for all the lag and performance issue DAoC still did it better - and I am not looking through rose tinted glasses to the good ol days, Warhammer's RvR sucked (the whole game sucked BIG time for me, honestly one of the worst MMORPGs I ever played), GW2 comes close - but DAoC still is the champ IMO.

So yeah GW2 is better graphics, less lag, but it also feels so hollow and pointless :/

Why is it so hard to build large scale RvR like DAoC did 10 years ago today, where players felt like they actually were standing up for their realm. That feeling of your entire realm rushing to defend a keep was priceless.

GW2 - there is no feeling of unity at all - 

I am guessing that too easy server-hopping, too much seperation of PvE and PvP, lack of names inside of WvWvW, too short rotations and a lack of "meaningful" realm point accumulation all make it harder for people to start feeling that realm pride. I do hope a lot of people start feeling it, but I guess we won't really know for a few months how it goes.

• TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155
    Originally posted by The_Korrigan
    Originally posted by DMKano
    Originally posted by The_Korrigan
    Ok, then all areas in all MMORPGs look the same. No matter if the theme is cyberpunk (charr), technopunk (asura), high mountains or plains, snow or forest, it all looks and feels the same. In GW2, Divinity's Reach feels like Black Citadel. In WoW, Stormwind feels like Orgrimmar.

Nonsense.

It is nonesense - when you are trying to rationalize the *feel* of something - as it may not be based on logic and reason. That's why when somebody says "I feel ....." it is 100% subjective experience that might not make much sense to anybody else.

Saying that (e.g.) a snow covered area feels the same than grassy plains is just nonsense. Apples feel like oranges too, they are both fruits and round, ok?

But I'm done arguing the obvious. There's actually nothing to argue about.

If you start sneezing easily during winters in real life and have allergy against a plant in those grassy plains, then yeah in real life it is not unlikely that your  predominant feeling is the same in both environments. 

• dontadowdontadow Member UncommonPosts: 1,005
    The cool thing about you w 2 is you can play different character at anytime you wish all I do this without the skills I'm comfortable with and then place guild I'm not comfortable with.