Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SWG leading in Massively Poll

BloodnokBloodnok Member UncommonPosts: 75

For MMO most worthy of ressurection - currently at 59.7%

Poll is here: http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/09/24/leaderboard-mmo-most-worthy-of-resurrection/?a_dgi=aolshare_facebook

Comments

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614

would love to see the old version of SWG again, yet:

-what about the crappy code?

-who's publishing it?

-bugs?

-lack of dungeons, pvp content?

-sandbox again or level based?

-storylines on par with the movies this time?

-treatment of the community?

-yet again: WHO'S PUBLISHING IT?

those points above just might put me off if SWG would be revived, which it won't ofc.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Some of the games on that list didn't even run. Earthrise in particular barely worked. A lot of my time was spent trying to get my character to just stop running. Given that list, it's not surprising that SWG would be the most voted game.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

As long as it is pre nge I would take it in a minute.  I am not surprised at all, considering the abysmal failure that swtor is.  SWG was a great game considering all it bugs and problems. kayshikk being the worst planet I ever stepped foot on, but that was when they were trying to sort out what levels meant instead of  skills. I hated all the blocked terrain.

Honestly if you gave me SWG pre NGE I would be very happy, pre cu even better.  I would take prenge and be very happy.

• Pongo_Pongo_ Member UncommonPosts: 38

SWG's kashyyyk is a perfect example of where SW was headed.

resrtictive corridor terrain leading to instanced areas.

guess it's not a suprise considering that quite a few LA/SOE devs worked on SWTOR

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

All around best mmorpg ever made. I cant believe its getting close to a year since it was shut down. There are some things id take from all incarnations of that game as well as leave out. Id take any version right now tbh. There were more gameplay choices in swg than tor,wow,gw2,rift, and tsw combined

• LeoghanLeoghan Member Posts: 607
    I can't deny missing some aspects of SWG tremendously, no other game ever offered some of their features and none have since, but to be honest I tried out that project that were not really supposed to talk about and I can honestly say I was underwhelmed, the nostalgia is there and it is the same game, but I had forgotten how clunky aspects of it were. 
  • KrashnerKrashner Member Posts: 137
    Originally posted by Leoghan
    I can't deny missing some aspects of SWG tremendously, no other game ever offered some of their features and none have since, but to be honest I tried out that project that were not really supposed to talk about and I can honestly say I was underwhelmed, the nostalgia is there and it is the same game, but I had forgotten how clunky aspects of it were. 

I know what you're saying, SWG was the only true mmo since UO, but it was buggy and awkward at time. I'm hoping The Repopulation recaptures most of what made SWG as great as it was, while also being less clunky. I had hoped for Darkfall to fill that sandbox void, but the devs were bent on making it a deathmatch game and made the pvp meaningless.

• Bob_BlawblawBob_Blawblaw Member Posts: 1,278

It's absolutely absurd the fact that even the NGE version of SWG was better than TOR. EVEN NGE!!!

Sad sad state of the MMO industry.

• hipiaphipiap Member UncommonPosts: 393
    Gimme Pre-NGE Profession Options with 2011 Content...and I'm there 8 days a week and happy to pay 15 a month for an account.

MMO History: 2528 days in SW:G

• smh_alotsmh_alot Member Posts: 976
    Originally posted by Bob_Blawblaw

It's absolutely absurd the fact that even the NGE version of SWG was better than TOR. EVEN NGE!!!Sad sad state of the MMO industry.

To you, maybe. But if that was really the case, SWG post-NGE would have had a LOT more people playing it than it did. Unless it had more people claiming they thought SWG post-NGE was better but not rly putting their money where their mouth is >.>

I think that the people that'd actually play SWG, pre or post NGE, today would be far, far less than many here on this site are hoping for. Sort of like how so many claimed they'd love to play the oldschool MMO's and how they were so much better, but when they get the opportunity like via EQ classic servers, only a tiny fraction actually does play them, and of those only a small part as soon as the first month(s) of nostalgia and rosy glasses have worn off.
  • eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809
      where were all these people when the game was actually in existance
  • evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    I think it has become "cool" on these forums to pretend that pre-CU was the best thing since sliced bread. Unfortunately subscriber numbers didnt agree, which is why CU and NGE happened in the first place. If you really love pre-CU there are ways to play it already.
  • grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935
    Originally posted by evilastro
    I think it has become "cool" on these forums to pretend that pre-CU was the best thing since sliced bread. Unfortunately subscriber numbers didnt agree, which is why CU and NGE happened in the first place. If you really love pre-CU there are ways to play it already.

I think you're right.  Easy to convince others it was that cool too since it's shut down and they have no way to check for themselves.

I should start a thread about Chronicles of Spellborn and how epic that game was.  Definitely needs a resurrection.

• Shoko_LiedShoko_Lied Member UncommonPosts: 2,193
    SWG pre-cu for sure!
  • FusionFusion Member UncommonPosts: 1,398
    Originally posted by grimal

I think you're right.  Easy to convince others it was that cool too since it's shut down and they have no way to check for themselves.

I should start a thread about Chronicles of Spellborn and how epic that game was.  Definitely needs a resurrection.

'Twas way better than SWG for sure, it just wasn't advertised, at all. Loved the deck system to bits!

Was just way ahead of its time http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFhyxWEgzls

As people weren't willing to give up their buttonmasher wow-grind.

Now with GW2 "leading the pack" towards more active-combat enviroment, maybe we'll finally start seeing some good MMOS! it's been a stalemate for a decade, it's time for a change!

http://neocron-game.com/ - now totally F2P no cash-shops or micro transactions at all.
  • aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387

Once again, you can't compare subscribers numbers of 7-9 years ago to the subscriber numbers of MMO today.

500k sub in 2003-5 is very high number for any mmo. No mmo back then has sub or box purchase count in the millions. Remember that was BEFORE WoW became popular and broke all records in subs and set the standard for everything afterwards.

What you did is kinda like comparing the value of $1 in 1920s to the value of $1 today.

Also CU/NGE happened has very little to do with sub numbers but has to do with what LucasArts felt was the wrong direction for a Star Wars game.

Originally posted by aRtFuLThinG

Also CU/NGE happened has very little to do with sub numbers but has to do with what LucasArts felt was the wrong direction for a Star Wars game.    

I read the online confessionals of some insiders. SWG, just like EQ and other MMO's, was bleeding subs significantly around that time. It was bleeding subs and another MMO with a different design model was doing spectacularly, that was the reason for the change.
    Originally posted by smh_alot
    I read the online confessionals of some insiders. SWG, just like EQ and other MMO's, was bleeding subs significantly around that time. It was bleeding subs and another MMO with a different design model was doing spectacularly, that was the reason for the change.

Don't know where you get that from, but they weren't bleed subs - not until after they implemented NGE.

• VincerKadenVincerKaden Member UncommonPosts: 457

It's well deserving of being tops on the poll. It was my first MMO, to which I have judged all other MMOs against since. The pre-CU content spoiled me, frankly. No game has come close for me. I've found myself sacrificing a lot in order to enjoy other MMOs.

I do like other MMOs, but still long for those pre-CU days where I could immerse myself in another world without the game taking me by the hand, pushing me through invisible wall corridors and telling me exactly how I'm supposed to gear up, where I'm supposed to be and what I'm supposed to fight. It didn't insult my intelligence, it encouraged it.

SWG was special, but mis-managed. Shame that it went through so much. But it stayed above water for 8 years. I was glad to have played that when I did. I'll remember the good times with fondness, and wear the bad times as a badge of honor. Glad to see it still getting recognition.

Don't know where you get that from, but they weren't bleed subs - not until after they implemented NGE.

It was from the same sources that a number of hardcore SWG vets were quoting other stuff from on an SWG forum, if I can dig it up, I'll post it here. No offense, but unless you can come with hard proof to back up what you're saying, I'll believe what I read on those SWG threads and from those SWG insiders themselves :)

And iirc all MMO's were losing subs in 2005, SWG wasn't the exception.
  • Ribas363Ribas363 Member Posts: 33

SWG lost sub's in wave so to speak.

The first round was the people who cried that the mystery of unlocking jedi was to difficult to figure out.  Those left early on in the game and that group cried on the forums nonstop wanting insta-jedi.

The next wave was once the holocron grind was introduced.  Those that had invested the time to unlock jedi now felt slighted and left.

CU - People left because of the changes to the combat system.

NGE - massive amounts of subs were canceled following this substantial change which happened to follow Trials of Obi and the introduction of Mustafar iirc the very next day.....after we ALL paid for the xpac. 

I'm sure some people canceled due to fight clubbing and maybe even the inroduction of the village but to a lesser degree.

Years and countless MMO's later I am yet to find a game that offers the immersion, complexity, itemization, crafting and community/social aspect combination that SWG offered.  That must be why I subbed from day 1 until the plug was pulled to SWG and have not maintained a sub for more than 1 year consistently to another game since.

Not to mention the pure genious of the Bounty Hunter class.

• KatlaOdindottirKatlaOdindottir Member Posts: 144
    The Matrix Online wasn't far off having the potential to be great, would lvoe to see a remade one!

www.daneslaw.com

@GamerKurisu

Awaiting Darkfall Unholy Wars

It was from the same sources that a number of hardcore SWG vets were quoting other stuff from on an SWG forum, if I can dig it up, I'll post it here. No offense, but unless you can come with hard proof to back up what you're saying, I'll believe what I read on those SWG threads and from those SWG insiders themselves :)

And iirc all MMO's were losing subs in 2005, SWG wasn't the exception.

I will dig up mine as well.

SWG didn't suffer significant drops until after NGE, which I recall lose more than 1/3rd.

Before that it was stagnant and declining, but that's not "bleeding" subs.

Bleeding is losing like swtor's numbers. That's bleeding.

• LeoghanLeoghan Member Posts: 607

Bleeding is losing like swtor's numbers. That's bleeding.

I think that is called hemorraging. 

As promised, here is one of the articles I've found similar to what I've read in the past:

http://www.thenoisecast.com/2011/04/on-redesign-community-exodus-and-nick-denton/

And here is the graph of where they actually lost subscribers:

As you can see, like me and another poster said before, they were stagnating, but they weren't really bleeding up until CU and then NGE killed it for the playerbase.