Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Trent Oster Thinks Fans Negativity and EA Drove Muzyka and Zeschuk from Bioware

Comments

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278
    Originally posted by Deewe

What more probably pushed them is the bad results of TOR. It was them or EA CEO.

Yeah EA and Activsion had childish attacks at each other, mainly EA, as jealous of Activision/Blizzards successes

EA boss wants Call of Duty to 'rot from the core'

Activision kept trying to make peace

But EA just keeps on doing more mudslinging

• aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387
    Originally posted by Jonoku
    Originally posted by aRtFuLThinG
    Originally posted by Sevenstar61

Still... but hurt SWG fans would have the place to go... now they are homeless

Hurt SWG fans would've been homeless either case, as SWG and swtor are not even remotely the same game (they are even set in different Star Wars period).

what does that have to do with SWG fans being upset? seems like a very minor reason to me.

Just saying that the fanbase are not necessary the same

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

The worst thing that happened to SWTOR was that SoE got rid of SWG.

I've heard several players in SWTOR mentioning that they know players who were saying that they will do everything possible to kill SWTOR so the fate of these games will be the same...

Not saying that all SWG players are like these... but I wish SWG was still available....

Just adding to speculation, Andryah might be trying to kill SWTOR .. becuase he/she posts 140 times a day (google search on her unique signature).  Maybe Andryah is a shill like poeple think .. or maybe it's someone out to turn gamers away .. I mean if you listen to some of the pro-EA crap coming out that's enough to turn me away.

Here's an example of Andryah, just on the top of a google hit, posted today:

EA has a long history of resizing their MMO teams to keep inside the cost curve and stay profitable on their MMOs. DAoC is evidence of this, almost to an extreme. NCsoft would have pulled the plug on it 5 years ago. EA though looks at revenue as revenue contribution to the company (regardless of size of revenue) and only requires cost to be X% less then revenue in order to meet a profit threshold number. This is pretty much what large holding companies do, and EA is a large holding company of many different game properties.

Feeling Entitled =/= Being Entitled
    NOW, the real question is.... who will I be falsely accused of being today?

Andryah .. I hope that you come to the light side one day ...

Just google "andryah site:www.swtor.com" or even more accurate, go for the signature :
    site:www.swtor.com "Feeling Entitled =/= Being Entitled"
    copy that entirely, and you'll get the latest wonders.
    On the left, use the timeframe options to further localize this search, by date .. today last week, past motnth etc.

So while some might think Andryah is a shill, I'll agree with you that some might be trying to destroy this version of SW, in which case Andryah is doing a great job, especially since people on other forums already linked him/her to EA (whether it's true is a tinfoil hat theory).

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686
    Originally posted by Karteli

The worst thing that happened to SWTOR was that SoE got rid of SWG.

I've heard several players in SWTOR mentioning that they know players who were saying that they will do everything possible to kill SWTOR so the fate of these games will be the same...

Not saying that all SWG players are like these... but I wish SWG was still available....

Just adding to speculation, Andryah might  be trying to kill SWTOR .. becuase he/she posts 140 times a day (google search on her unique signature).  Maybe Andryah is a shill like poeple think .. or maybe it's someone out to turn gamers away .. I mean if you listen to some of the pro-EA crap coming out that's enough to turn me away.

Here's an example of Andryah, just on the top of a google hit:

EA has a long history of resizing their MMO teams to keep inside the cost curve and stay profitable on their MMOs. DAoC is evidence of this, almost to an extreme. NCsoft would have pulled the plug on it 5 years ago. EA though looks at revenue as revenue contribution to the company (regardless of size of revenue) and only requires cost to be X% less then revenue in order to meet a profit threshold number. This is pretty much what large holding companies do, and EA is a large holding company of many different game properties.

Feeling Entitled =/= Being Entitled
    NOW, the real question is.... who will I be falsely accused of being today?

Andryah .. I hope that you come to the light side one day ...

[just google "andryah site:www.mmo.swtor.com" and you'll get the latest wonders.

There are extremes on both sides: hate and fanbois.  Nobody is really taking Andryah seriously LOL

Most of people are just playing game and not going to forums. To be honest I browse it less and less by myself. Looking mostly for news and advices.

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

• AxiosImmortalAxiosImmortal Member UncommonPosts: 645
    Originally posted by superniceguy

What more probably pushed them is the bad results of TOR. It was them or EA CEO.

Yeah EA and Activsion had childish attacks at each other, mainly EA, as jealous of Activision/Blizzards successes

EA is so desperate apparently, they should do what their best at and make more sims and sports games and avoid everything else, I also love their racing games, I guess thats considered a sport idk.

Looking at: The Repopulation
    Preordering: None
    Playing: Random Games

Originally posted by grimal

The fact that 1.5 million people ditched the game means it is a bad game, not us few saying it is a bad game, and the majority of them just quit without saying a bad word, as apparently the forums are only the vocal minority.

Wonder how he explains SWG's demise?  Or was that not a "bad game"?

SWG held on to its full 26 servers for 6 years, then lost about 50%

SWTOR held on to its 200 servers for 9 months, and now has 20 servers, losing 90& of the servers

SWG had 3 expansions, SWTORs failure now means it is not having an expansion

SWTOR will have updates, same as SWG did with the biggest being Hoth in 2008, but it will not have an expansion like JTL, Rage of the Wookiees or Trials of Obi-Wan

SWG was a troubled game, and had its ups and downs, but it mass load of (unique) fetaures is what attracted many people, and at the end it was not a bad game after all. SWTOR was a shell of what SWG had. SWG = SWTOR + Player housing + Beast Master + Chronicles + Entertainers + Multiplayer space + sandbox gameplay

SWG got shut down because LA forced the issue. When they announced the shut down, it had 4 FULL servers with the rest m medium to light. SWTOR was going to be their golden goose, and any subs SWG had would have been nothing to what they thought SWTOR was going to get, and players would just migrate from SWG to SWTOR.

If they knew that SWTOR would not have loads of subs by this time, I doubt they would have shut down SWG.

Its kinda funny because SOE wanted SWG to be a WoW clone too and ultimately ruined their game, and they think that starting from scratch as a themepark mmo will be a successfull themepark?

Whats the difference between sandbox to themepark transition and themepark to itself?....themepark. Every WoW clone will ultimately fail unless some company with brilliance will somehow have both very good sandbox and themepark features in some ultimate mmo. There is really no difference, LA repeated the nightmare.

Lets take a look back where bioware got the hero engine to make a star wars mmo in 2005, swg's doom day was 2005 too. Why are the star wars mmos wanting to be like WoW? WoW has a loyal fanbase if your just going to make a clone no one is going to buy a clone.

It was LA that wanted SWG to be a WOW clone, not SOE. SOE was scared to do anything with SWG unless they had the green light from LA. If SOE made the NGE off their own backs, LA would have pulled the licence when it was up for renewal after its failure.  Here is Julio Torres (of LA and also was producer on KOTOR 1 and Force Unleashed) speaking in delight about the NGE, and here for the first time taken from the Official SWG forums

SWTOR is NGE 2.0 The true vision of what LA were trying to achieve with the NGE. NGE was changing SWG, where as SWTOR was written from the ground up, making it a more solid experinece but still limited amount of iconic cookiee cutter profession. SOE had nothing to do with SWTOR

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026

EA is so desperate apparently, they should do what their best at and make more sims and sports games and avoid everything else, I also love their racing games, I guess thats considered a sport idk.

I actually hate to say this but it would do mmos a world of good if they continue a decline in revenue for these companies so they fall off their radar. This way indi-developers can once again become the driving force in their development. Also self-publication should be embraced. The small companies have to stop being devoured by larger ones or no independent. original imagination and thought will be nurtured within the industry.

You stay sassy!

The fact that 1.5 million people ditched the game means it is a bad game, not us few saying it is a bad game, and the majority of them just quit without saying a bad word, as apparently the forums are only the vocal minority.

SWTOR held on to its 200 servers for 9 months, and now has 20 servers, losing 90& of the servers

SWTOR will have updates, same as SWG did with the biggest being Hoth in 2008, but it will not have an expansion like JTL, Rage of the Wookiees or Trials of Obi-Wan

SWG was a troubled game, and had its ups and downs, but it mass load of (unique) fetaures is what attracted many people, and at the end it was not a bad game after all. SWTOR was a shell of what SWG had. SWG = SWTOR + Player housing + Beast Master + Chronicles + Entertainers + Multiplayer space + sandbox gameplay

SWG got shut down because LA forced the issue. When they announced the shut down, it had 4 FULL servers with the rest m medium to light. SWTOR was going to be their golden goose, and any subs SWG had would have been nothing to what they thought SWTOR was going to get, and players would just migrate from SWG to SWTOR.

If they knew that SWTOR would not have loads of subs by this time, I doubt they would have shut down SWG.

Its kinda funny because SOE wanted SWG to be a WoW clone too and ultimately ruined their game, and they think that starting from scratch as a themepark mmo will be a successfull themepark?

Whats the difference between sandbox to themepark transition and themepark to itself?....themepark. Every WoW clone will ultimately fail unless some company with brilliance will somehow have both very good sandbox and themepark features in some ultimate mmo. There is really no difference, LA repeated the nightmare.

Lets take a look back where bioware got the hero engine to make a star wars mmo in 2005, swg's doom day was 2005 too. Why are the star wars mmos wanting to be like WoW? WoW has a loyal fanbase if your just going to make a clone no one is going to buy a clone.

It was LA that wanted SWG to be a WOW clone, not SOE. SOE was scared to do anything with SWG unless they had the green light from LA. If SOE made the NGE off their own backs, LA would have pulled the licence when it was up for renewal after its failure.  Here is Julio Torres (of LA and also was producer on KOTOR 1 and Force Unleashed) speaking in delight about the NGE, and here for the first time taken from the Official SWG forums

SWTOR is NGE 2.0 The true vision of what LA were trying to achieve with the NGE. NGE was changing SWG, where as SWTOR was written from the ground up, making it a more solid experinece but still limited amount of iconic cookiee cutter profession. SOE had nothing to do with SWTOR

Sadly this happened with AC2 as well. The powers that be forced it into an EQ clone which completely destroyed AC's concept and alienated it's playerbase. The companies shoot themselves in the feet. When you ignore your playerbase you are voted off the island.

Turbine went on further by producing yet another clone with Lotro. Although it was far better implemented it still was the driving force behind the game's limitations in success. If it had been a touch more original and offered greater player freedoms I am sure it would have garnered a larger core audience than it has now.

You stay sassy!

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935
    Originally posted by Tamanous

Sadly this happened with AC2 as well. The powers that be forced it into an EQ clone which completely destroyed AC's concept and alienated it's playerbase. The companies shoot themselves in the feet. When you ignore your playerbase you are voted off the island.

Turbine went on further by producing yet another clone with Lotro. Although it was far better implemented it still was the driving force behind the game's limitations in success. If it had been a touch more original and offered greater player freedoms I am sure it would have garnered a larger core audience than it has now.

SWG was almost universally panned by critics. 

SWTOR, on the other hand, is a critical darling.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Biowares arrogance is to blame.

They saw EA bend over and abuse amongst many great dev teams - origin, bullfrog, mythic, firaxis,maxis, westwood etc.

And thought "yeah but that's them guys, we're better than that, we can take EAs 50 pieces of silver and still keep or integrity"

I feel bad for SOE i mean....they made a top notch sandbox game. I think the only ones that will be able to make such a great sandbox is only SOE itself as other companies have proven unworthy. The other companies mind has been set to stubborness and full of temptation to be WoW clone. Not to bring up that discussion. anyway,

I think its EA or feeling of failing on the game made them fustrated and just quit.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Grim:

Critics are easily pleased by a prior reputation and a brown paper bag full of readies, hence swtor and d3 reviews
    Originally posted by Tamanous

SWG was almost universally panned by critics. 

SWTOR, on the other hand, is a critical darling.

Seems to me SWTOR is the opposite of a critical darling. It would have to have had climbed in sales after release to be called that. Now I have said nothing about that matter really but SWTOR seems to me to be the farthest thing from a critical darling. In fact I would say Turbine's DDO and Lotro are critical darlings. They have maintained a level of players and have seem critical increases over time. SWTOR will always be known for not living up to expectations. The bar was set far too high (due to hype and more importantly cost) to ever be called a critical darling.

You stay sassy!

I feel bad for SOE i mean....they made a top notch sandbox game. I think the only ones that will be able to make such a great sandbox is only SOE itself as other companies have proven unworthy. The other companies mind has been set to stubborness and full of temptation to be WoW clone.

Yeah and SoE is as loved by players as EA :)

But you might be right. I played EQ2 for many years and I loved it. Vanquard had a promise but they did not hold on to it.

Who knows... maybe SoE will learn something from the past.

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

Minimize the massive quotes :o

I feel bad for SOE i mean....they made a top notch sandbox game. I think the only ones that will be able to make such a great sandbox is only SOE itself as other companies have proven unworthy. The other companies mind has been set to stubborness and full of temptation to be WoW clone. Not to bring up that discussion. anyway,

I think its EA or feeling of failing on the game made them fustrated and just quit.

There were elements to the game that were amazing but the game itself was terrible. Far far too many players are remembering it though rose-coloured glasses. I would absolutely love to see some of the mechanics implemented into other mmo's but SWG as a whole could not support itself. Long before the NGE the game was a ghost town only played by a small core playerbase. It certainly needed to have many core elements reworked to make it a success but sadly the oportunity was squandered with an attempt to turn it into a Wow clone.

You stay sassy!

I feel bad for SOE i mean....they made a top notch sandbox game. I think the only ones that will be able to make such a great sandbox is only SOE itself as other companies have proven unworthy. The other companies mind has been set to stubborness and full of temptation to be WoW clone.

But you might be right. I played EQ2 for many years and I loved it. Vanquard had a promise but they did not hold on to it.

SOE makes mistakes, and they tend let people pull their strings a bit much, but Smedley is a decent guy (although makes poor business decsions which gives SOE the bad rep) - when new games gets releases, by competitors, he always wishes them well, unlike EA who wants the games "to rot to the core"

Its like this, look at companies like EA, trying to win big and be successful like blizzard and activision. Its just like some random dude that is trying to sing but not born with the potential good voice to sing. Yet even when the judges say singing isn't for them they are stubborn and still try to win big. It isn't going to happen when they tell you it isn't for you, EA shouldn't get in the mmo business again because it is not for them.

Example:

*Some dude sings*

*laughter of judges*

Judges: The singing business isn't for you, I'm sorry.

Dude: na its for me, I'll come back again.

Dude: Hi

Judges: oh boy hold on let me put on ear plugs.

*Dude sings*

*Judges laugh*

Judges: You didn't make it sorry.

Dude: I'll come back again next year.

Judges: No, it ain't worth your time man.

Dude: Na man I'm comin back next year and doin it!

(And this just continues)

SOE makes mistakes, and they tend let people pull their strings a bit much, but Smedley is a decent guy (although makes poor business decsions which gives SOE the bad rep) - when new games gets releases, by competitors, he always wishes them well, unlike EA who wants the games "to rot to the core"

That is what scares me about SOE right now. They are turning into the most forward thinking company when it comes to mmo's out there (by the sounds of things ... proof will be in the pudding though especially when we finally see EQNext). 

Consider me /mindblown!

You stay sassy!

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788
    Originally posted by CujoSWAoA

Maybe they shouldn't have made a shitty game.

I don't feel bad for them.  Not one damn bit.

Pretty much.

You make me like charity

• TarotMageTarotMage Member Posts: 126

Pff - blaming the fans for Muzyka & Zeschuk's departure is like blaming the iceberg for the Titanic disaster.

Any smart businessman would have first done their research regarding EA's long and ugly history with game companies, followed by a  long pro/con debate, and finally an even longer debate. Maybe it's me but I just get a visual of EA pushing piles of money towards the good doctors, which then cues the classic eyes-turn-into-dollar-signs cartoon cliche' (insert sound of ringng cash register or the first five notes of "We're In The Money" here.)

Face it - partnering with EA is pretty much like spending your first night in prison with your three cellmates. The end result is pretty much the same.

Nothing in life is to be feared, it is only to be understood. - Marie Curie

Originally posted by TarotMage

Pff - blaming the fans for Muzyka & Zeschuk's departure is like blaming the iceberg for the Titanic disaster.

Any smart businessman would have first done their research regarding EA's long and ugly history with game companies, followed by a  long pro/con debate, and finally an even longer debate. Maybe it's me but I just get a visual of EA pushing piles of money towards the good doctors, which then cues the classic eyes-turn-into-dollar-signs cartoon cliche' (insert sound of ringng cash register or the first five notes of "We're In The Money" here.)

Face it - partnering with EA is pretty much like spending your first night in prison with your three cellmates. The end result is pretty much the same.

If you would put all your heart into creation of something that you thought was great  and after you finished it everybody would hate and bash the project you spent several years on, would you not like to quit and never touch anything connected to it?

I would. Especially if I would have enough money to not worry what I will put into my mouth tomorrow :)

• TarotMageTarotMage Member Posts: 126

If you would put all your heart into creation of something that you thought was great  and after you finished it everybody would hate and bash the project you spent several years on, would you not like to quit and never touch anything connected to it?

I would. Especially if I would have enough money to not worry what I will put into my mouth tomorrow :)

If I was going to put all my heart into creating something that was going to cost $200 million, take several years to complete and be enjoyed only by me it wouldn't matter if anyone else hated it. But if I put that same heart, money, and timeframe and knowingly release it to a vocal and exacting demographc you better believe that I'd be checking the thougths, criticisims and opinions of said demographic every step of the way.

Besides, we've all seen what 'artistic integrity' can do for a game's sales, right?

Nothing in life is to be feared, it is only to be understood. - Marie Curie

If I was going to put all my heart into creating something that was going to cost $200 million, take several years to complete and be enjoyed only by me it wouldn't matter if anyone else hated it. But if I put that same heart, money, and timeframe and knowingly release it to a vocal and exacting demographc you better believe that I'd be checking the thougths, criticisims and opinions of said demographic every step of the way.

Besides, we've all seen what 'artistic integrity' can do for a game's sales, right?

Even if this vision would be completely different from yours? Wouldn't you just give up?

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

Big projects have multiple departments.  So yes, If I spent years to develop art,music or story for SWTOR, then I found out that my core company I work for (EA) put a slop job of a graphics engine together to the point where mass multiplayer wasn't even possible (and revenue would be cut because nobody would play this game), then yes .. I probably would resign too.

Still hoping for Illum 2.0?  Keep hoping. (thanks EA for the slop job)

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.