Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will we ever get a Freelancer / Privateer / Elite type MMO?

chryseschryses Member UncommonPosts: 1,453

Maybe I am in the minority but I can't work out why no one will touch an MMO with a freelancer/MMO type gameplay.

e.g.

• Multiple planets spread across the galaxy
  • Multiple ships to purchase and with twitch type combat
  • Trying to flee to a jumpgate with all your shields down and 6 pirates on your tail
  • Able to walk around on planets and visit ship vendors and traders etc
  • Good old fitting out a ship how you want (get that buzzy feeling of using a kick arse gun for the first time)
Yes I know there is EvE but that really doesn't capture that freelancer feel.

Earth & Beyond got close but it didn't have that big universe feel (ceilings in space don't work!)

I really miss that old school feeling of jumping into a fighter and going out and killing 3 pirates and then flying off into space and getting ambushed by NPC's or whatever.  Not to mention the trade between planets/hubs and the space chatter when you are near a station.

Jumpgate was getting there and I think Jumpgate Evo is vapour....

Anyone else feel the same? (right now I would play a single player game if it was out)

Comments

• gordiflugordiflu Member UncommonPosts: 757

We actually may...

Check this: http://robertsspaceindustries.com/start/

The code is 42.

• kattehuskattehus Member UncommonPosts: 375

It's been a while since I've played Freelancer, so I don't know if my information is still current.

However, have you taken a look at the Freelancer Discovery mod/community?

In another vein, I think people want to do it, but it's a very big scope to deal with. And with most mmo's love of instancing, sharding, etc. it's hard to get to work without making a big universe that just feels, well, empty.

|< I 1 1 I |\| 6 _ Z 0 |\/| 8 I 3 5 _ 5 I |\| C 3 _ 1 9 9 0
    -Actively playing Eve.
    Follow my tweet (:
  • TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088

Well if you have time to wait few more years and keep your fingers crossed that this is not a waporware then yes we might have a game for you.

http://www.infinity-universe.com/Infinity/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=12&Itemid=33

Few youtube clips

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43eIjvoYfos&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2GfXkKQDQY&feature=related

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

• RavingRabbidRavingRabbid Member UncommonPosts: 1,168
    I'm so with you on this one OP!!!!

All my opinions are just that..opinions. If you like my opinions..coolness.If you dont like my opinion....I really dont care.
    Playing: ESO, WOT, Smite, and Marvel Heroes

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072

Dude, check out Vendetta Online!

A) It is a MMORPG (single server, contiguous world)

B) It has twitch combat (piloting skills matter)

C) This author here, at least, seems to compare it to Freelancer.  I quote from the ninth paragraph, fourth sentence:

"It's somewhat blocky and awash with brighter colors than I expected to find in a hardcore space sim, but for some reason it triggered a Freelancer-style nostalgia trip (or at least, the Freelancer I remember in my mind's eye)."

D) It presently has 30 star systems, with over 7,000 sectors to visit

E) Player-run events and player contributed content is the norm (I have 70 missions that I wrote in production right now, and I am working on more).

edit: cross-post from the comments section in the linked article - a short piece I wrote on the game:

I am definitely one of those explorers at heart, and I can assure you that Vendetta has soul. As the author mentions, it displays a stunning degree of polish in unexpected areas, while appearing relatively simple on the surface.

Even something as simple as mining involves a series of complex laws and functions; point at an asteroid and start mining, and you will invoke the mineral content of the asteroid, it's material, mass, how quickly it heats up and how quickly it cools, the rate, heat generated, and extraction bonus of your mining beam, etc. Is the asteroid rotating? Are there Hive in the sector which will take notice and cause you to defend yourself?

The twitch combat is better than in any other game I've played. Engaging another player 1v1 is like a 16th century Samurai duel in space, from staring each other down to the complex martial dance to the final explosion. Add to that group furballs, Border Skirmishes, piracy and anti-piracy, and the picture starts becoming clearer.

At any rate, the balance, end game content, and community has kept my interest since June 2003. I've played this game steadily since then, and have had a subscription since it was possible to subscribe. I guess you could say I'm a fan. I'm enjoying the continuing evolution of this game, and feel honored to have contributed to it. If you haven't already, grab a gamepad and come check this one out. If you've been away for a while, stop back in and see what's new.

There is more to this game than could be discovered in a lifetime.

P.S. OP - I dig the avatar

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• chryseschryses Member UncommonPosts: 1,453
    Originally posted by Phaserlight

Dude, check out Vendetta Online!

A) It is a MMORPG (single server, contiguous world)

B) It has twitch combat (piloting skills matter)

C) This author here, at least, seems to compare it to Freelancer.  I quote from the ninth paragraph, fourth sentence:

"It's somewhat blocky and awash with brighter colors than I expected to find in a hardcore space sim, but for some reason it triggered a Freelancer-style nostalgia trip (or at least, the Freelancer I remember in my mind's eye)."

D) It presently has 30 star systems, with over 7,000 sectors to visit

E) Player-run events and player contributed content is the norm (I have 70 missions that I wrote in production right now, and I am working on more).

edit: cross-post from the comments section in the linked article - a short piece I wrote on the game:

I am definitely one of those explorers at heart, and I can assure you that Vendetta has soul. As the author mentions, it displays a stunning degree of polish in unexpected areas, while appearing relatively simple on the surface.

Even something as simple as mining involves a series of complex laws and functions; point at an asteroid and start mining, and you will invoke the mineral content of the asteroid, it's material, mass, how quickly it heats up and how quickly it cools, the rate, heat generated, and extraction bonus of your mining beam, etc. Is the asteroid rotating? Are there Hive in the sector which will take notice and cause you to defend yourself?

The twitch combat is better than in any other game I've played. Engaging another player 1v1 is like a 16th century Samurai duel in space, from staring each other down to the complex martial dance to the final explosion. Add to that group furballs, Border Skirmishes, piracy and anti-piracy, and the picture starts becoming clearer.

At any rate, the balance, end game content, and community has kept my interest since June 2003. I've played this game steadily since then, and have had a subscription since it was possible to subscribe. I guess you could say I'm a fan. I'm enjoying the continuing evolution of this game, and feel honored to have contributed to it. If you haven't already, grab a gamepad and come check this one out. If you've been away for a while, stop back in and see what's new.

There is more to this game than could be discovered in a lifetime.

P.S. OP - I dig the avatar

Thanks for the recommendation. I downloaded last night and went through the first tutorial.  Its very retro and reminds me of Elite.  Combat seems pretty fluid and intuitive as well.  Looking forward to getting into the main body of the game and see if it has any legs. 

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529

Check out Darkspace at Darkspace.net

Also, if you are into the space ANYTHING stuff http://spacesimcentral.com/ covers all of them.

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Jumpgate eve got cancelled didn't it. However it wasn't going to be a guild vs guild game anyway, it was going for an rvr type setup.

Then there's the daddy of all vapourware - elite 4 which was / is going to be an elite mmo. Think elite meets eve, economy driven sandbox with low and high security areas, real ship flying, planetary landings, real space physics, procedural generated huge single world.
  • ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    If you like space combat games I recommend getting freespace 2 from gog. There are a ton of mods out there, including one that updates it for win 7 with all new modern graphics, a Babylon 5 mod a battlestar galactic mod etc..
  • defector1968defector1968 Member UncommonPosts: 469
    Originally posted by chryses

Maybe I am in the minority but I can't work out why no one will touch an MMO with a freelancer/MMO type gameplay.

e.g.

• Multiple planets spread across the galaxy
    • Multiple ships to purchase and with twitch type combat
    • Trying to flee to a jumpgate with all your shields down and 6 pirates on your tail
    • Able to walk around on planets and visit ship vendors and traders etc
    • Good old fitting out a ship how you want (get that buzzy feeling of using a kick arse gun for the first time)
    Yes I know there is EvE but that really doesn't capture that freelancer feel.

Earth & Beyond got close but it didn't have that big universe feel (ceilings in space don't work!)

I really miss that old school feeling of jumping into a fighter and going out and killing 3 pirates and then flying off into space and getting ambushed by NPC's or whatever.  Not to mention the trade between planets/hubs and the space chatter when you are near a station.

Jumpgate was getting there and I think Jumpgate Evo is vapour....

Anyone else feel the same? (right now I would play a single player game if it was out)

X series was better than freelancer, privateer and of course from elite

X series have all that freelancer, privateer gives.

i think they make a multiplayer but not sure if made an MMO too

fan of SWG, XCOM, Defiance, Global Agenda, Need For Speed, all Star Wars single player games. And waiting the darn STAR CITIZEN