Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The boring truth and the hype trainwreck that is GW2

Comments

• darkhalf357xdarkhalf357x Member UncommonPosts: 1,237
    Originally posted by bcbully
    Originally posted by darkhalf357x
    Originally posted by Randayn

Necro = Axe, Dagger, Septer, horn, staff (2 hands), talisman

Axe main hand - 3 abilities FOREVER

Septer main hand - 3 abilities FOREVER

Horn off hand - 2 abilities FOREVER

Talisman off hand - 2 abilities FOREVER

Dagger either hand - 5 abilities if in both hands

Staff both hands - 5 abilities.

this is every class too...different weapons...by the time I was level 11 or so, my warrior had unlocked all skills from all possible weapons combinations...Of course I did it by purposely unlocking them, but still....what does that leave as far as main skill progression?

But that point doesnt make GW2 a bad game.  It makes it a game you don't like.  Others obviously like that style of play.

So is your ultimate point that GW2 failed?  If so please be a bit more clear in its failure.  But if your point is you dont believe GW2 has skill progression.  It never did.

Which is it?

No not that it failed... The game is one month old ffs. It is failing people in some fundamental areas though. Skill progression/combat is one of them. This is not something they can't improve, but I don't think that it will any time soon. I did hear the Devs say it is something they are looking at though. 

Two steps to improve combat.

1. What if each of those weapons had 10 (20 would be awesome, but yeah..) abilities (instead of 2 or 3...) and you could slot which abilities you like for that weapon. 

2. Combo fieds, have different abilities trigger different active effects, not just meh buffs and debuffs. Like this, whirl A does Y in combo field Z. Whirl B does X in combo field Z. Instead of  A,B,C,D,E doing Y in combo field Z.

But I think thats the point.  The game never planned to have skilled/progression.  If it was, levels would matter, they wouldnt down level, gear would matter.  I think that was the whole point behind GW2 and trying to fault it for what it wanted to achieve is incorrect.

Your point number 1 introduces skill progression (again which the game does not have).  To add that it wouldnt be GW2.

Two is a valid enhancement.

If you like skill/progression you will not have much fun in GW2.  Simple as that.  Its still a quality MMO, but caters to a specific audience.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by Randayn

Necro = Axe, Dagger, Septer, horn, staff (2 hands), talisman

Axe main hand - 3 abilities FOREVER

Septer main hand - 3 abilities FOREVER

Horn off hand - 2 abilities FOREVER

Talisman off hand - 2 abilities FOREVER

Dagger either hand - 5 abilities if in both hands

Staff both hands - 5 abilities.

this is every class too...different weapons...by the time I was level 11 or so, my warrior had unlocked all skills from all possible weapons combinations...Of course I did it by purposely unlocking them, but still....what does that leave as far as main skill progression?

But that point doesnt make GW2 a bad game.  It makes it a game you don't like.  Others obviously like that style of play.

So is your ultimate point that GW2 failed?  If so please be a bit more clear in its failure.  But if your point is you dont believe GW2 has skill progression.  It never did.

Which is it?

No not that it failed... The game is one month old ffs. It is failing people in some fundamental areas though. Skill progression/combat is one of them. This is not something they can't improve, but I don't think that it will any time soon. I did hear the Devs say it is something they are looking at though. 

Two steps to improve combat.

1. What if each of those weapons had 10 (20 would be awesome, but yeah..) abilities (instead of 2 or 3...) and you could slot which abilities you like for that weapon. 

2. Combo fieds, have different abilities trigger different active effects, not just meh buffs and debuffs. Like this, whirl A does Y in combo field Z. Whirl B does X in combo field Z. Instead of  A,B,C,D,E doing Y in combo field Z.

But I think thats the point.  The game never planned to have skilled/progression.  If it was, levels would matter, they wouldnt down level, gear would matter.  I think that was the whole point behind GW2 and trying to fault it for what it wanted to achieve is incorrect.

Your point number 1 introduces skill progression (again which the game does not have).  To add that it wouldnt be GW2.

Two is a valid enhancement.

If you like skill/progression you will not have much fun in GW2.  Simple as that.  Its still a quality MMO, but caters to a specific audience.

I agree for the most part. I just don't know if they intended it to be so limited. Idk.

That dev quote in between BWE1 and BWE2 (I think) keeps jumping out at me though, "We don't want to overwhelm players so we....."

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • Ambros123Ambros123 Member Posts: 877
    Originally posted by adam_nox
    Originally posted by Connmacart

Would say surprising review, but than again you have been shitting on the game for a long time. 

Hard to look at things objectively when you go in with a negative mindset.

sorry, but no, not true.  Recently, very recently, I've given honest opinions about the game in other topics, and I've honestly kept it rather mild.  There's no reaspon why my review would look any better.

I played for almost a month with my mouth shut. 

You've hated this game since day one, your post history speaks for itself.  With that in mind you entered the game grudgenly and pretty much forced yourself to try it out just for the sake that you can say you played it.  That alone would highly discredit any opinions you would create on the game.  I hate and loathe DDO now, no matter how hard I tried I cannot like the game (tried several times) in any shape or form and will (and do) view eveything negatively even the features that many will proclaim great and a giant step foward like epic destinies.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    I stopped at "the boring truth"...........
    Originally posted by Ambros123
    Originally posted by Connmacart

Would say surprising review, but than again you have been shitting on the game for a long time. 

Hard to look at things objectively when you go in with a negative mindset.

sorry, but no, not true.  Recently, very recently, I've given honest opinions about the game in other topics, and I've honestly kept it rather mild.  There's no reaspon why my review would look any better.

You've hated this game since day one, your post history speaks for itself.  With that in mind you entered the game grudgenly and pretty much forced yourself to try it out just for the sake that you can say you played it.  That alone would highly discredit any opinions you would create on the game.  I hate and loathe DDO now, no matter how hard I tried I cannot like the game (tried several times) in any shape or form and will (and do) view eveything negatively even the features that many will proclaim great and a giant step foward like epic destinies.

I strongly dislike several fundamental designs about the game from about day 2. I posted about it. Then I played the game, and was blown away by the WvW. I posted about it. After 3 weeks everything changed. Almost like swtor at the 2 month mark but worse. 

I'm now posting why and giving suggestions on what could have prevented this, and how small changes (in scope, but not work) could make a huge difference. 

I want to play an mmo long term again. TSW needs a more robust pvp system, GW2 needs character development and lore/story delivery. If I could smash the games together it would be "the savior" of the genre.

edit - I thought DDO was pretty damn unique and just being D&D made it interesting. Then I got hit by the cash shop... I needed to upgrade to get my cash out the mail.. I never logged back in.

• KalmarthKalmarth Member Posts: 443

Lose a star Adam this game is not only god but it cures cancer.

If anyone thought that this game could live up to the hype that it was given then your crazy, it was just to over hyped and far far to many fanbois got overly worked up about the game, alot are still so rabid about the game that ANY criticism about the game is meet with a wall of word proff about how that person is wrong and cant ever be right and should probably die.

The game is ok its not the most amazing thing I have ever played, a good distraction till something amazing does arrive, and that will probably come out of the blue with out a choir of angels singing it to it release day.

Originally posted by Kalmarth

The game is ok its not the most amazing thing I have ever played, a good distraction till something amazing does arrive, and that will probably come out of the blue with out a choir of angels singing it to it release day.

Like a thief in the night :) *cough* DFUW?

• sirchivesirchive Member UncommonPosts: 72

I'll kick in my two cent vote to agree 100% with the OP.

The kiss of death to GW2 is that, behind the pretty surface, it's boring. 

Dynamic events are boring because they aren't dynamic. Same scripts run in endless loops. 

WvW is boring because you it's essentially a huge pointless siege engine battle where you run and run hoping to find some fun and rarely succeeding. And, like the OP said, it's completely detached from the rest of the game. GW2 is like three disconnected games your character can jump between, PVE, sPvP and WvW. 

One thing GW2 does have for it is the most rabid pack of fans I've seen for years. No matter. Keep playing guys. Slowly but surely the layers of denial will peel away and the completely dull and boring core of GW2 will be revealed. 

• OdesuOdesu Member Posts: 14
    What amuses me is that you compare the combat to DCUO, which is basically a console fighter with a lobby. Praise its antiquated RPS system all you want, but were you to take into account the rest of your other measurement criteria and assess that game, it'd come up far shorter. Community of what, about 50 actual players? Character development consists of cookie cutter builds in endgame and a storyline that's lost any semblance of the IP. Crafting? 0.0. WvW, also 0.0. PVE: gear treadmill because they've otherwise run out of assets to recycle. So the overall tally for GW2 is looking pretty good, I'd say.
  • TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155
    Originally posted by Alot

[mod edit]

Guild Wars 2's headstart was one month ago, it's still at 8.99 on this site and it's still receiving high scores from Critics and Metacritic users.

Did you consider the idea that you are in the minority?

Yet only a minorty of people who play video games choose to play MMORPGs, so we are all in a minority. 

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Yeah that's fair dude.

Even though i'm not the biggest gw2 fan Some aspects of your argument are abit 'wonky' or rather your terminology should be more precise, As with the case of 'no stealth class'.

Granted it's not a traditional 'toggle stealth class' but the mechanic still exists to an extent.

Nith

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• camiacamia Member Posts: 18

Quit responding to this guy's review and it'll fall to the bottom, simple as that. 

But if I wanted to respond to anything in your review, I'd have to say that the rating for crafting is the biggest joke. "Oh, I have to grind a bit to get materials for crafting! Must be a bad system." Has to be sarcastic, otherwise I'm given the impression you've never played an mmo.

From the '90s, raised on '80s, better deal with Golden Girls references!

• RokurgeptaRokurgepta Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,136
    Originally posted by redman875

The sad thing about this all isnt the fact that yet again we have another overhyped mmorpg uraveling...but that the next AAA themepark will follow the same exact path as this game and the many over hyped mmorpgs that predate it.  

People never learn.

If the game is overhyped, just remember...it probably NEEDS to be overhyped.  Thats never a good thing.

People are suckers for feeing popular and joining the cool crowd though...these overhyped games thrive on that emotion.

False.

• aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387

Honest/unbiased opinions don't need to be defended or specified as honest/unbias because people will read it and be able to gauge the lack of intentions from it.

Just like a good person don't need to tell others that "hey I'm a good person, you know"

Food for thought.

• AcidonAcidon Member UncommonPosts: 796

On a final note, doing things differently does not warrant the title revolutionary if the change is bad, and most of the divergence of GW2's systems from the mold are downgrades.   Kudos to the devs for trying, but whoever came up with the replacement systems for the trinity, dungeons, questing, and pvp simply did a bad job.

You have to give ANet credit.  Their advertising, general comments, and timing made all the difference.  They were able to convince hundreds of thousands of people that paying cash for in-game gold is okay now.  That paying more than a P2P game would cost them is okay (because they want to support a game that doesn't charge them monthly...).  ANet is freaking brilliant.

It's been a fun ride watching the hype, watching the release, and then watching all of the disappointment clashing against the die-hard fanatics.

People, in general, are more intelligent than some companies give them credit for.  Many are going to start seeing similiarities between what Blizzard did with D3 and what ANet is doing with GW2.  No, it's not the same thing - but it's in the same playing field.  It's only natural for a modern-day thinking individual to start questioning things.

I try not to comment too much in this forum.  But this has been an amazing spectical at the very least for those that are interested in watching such things unfold.

/em puts on a tin-foil hat and begins to search for subliminal messaging in the GW2 trailers.

PS - Insert "IMHO" where appropriate.

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072

Outside of endurance for dodge (you get 2 dodges per full bar whooopeee), there's no resource management.  There's no mana, no rage, no energy, etc.  Necromancers almost get what would be considered a resource to gather and spend, but I didn't spend enough time with them to say much about it, except it was very simplistic.  Instead, I was a ranger.   Considered by many a powerful choice, I do not disagree.   Oddly though, my pet was more powerful than me.  I didn't test much without trait points allocated, but with 20 into pet attributes, it consistently outdamaged me, and could take more punishment, and regened life faster.    I was hoping to have a powerful sniper, but instead I was a beastmaster. 

That's the thing, there's no real glass cannons, there's no powerful snipers, there's no stealth class.   There's no tanks, there's no healers.  The classes are very similar in functionality, and the differences are mostly skin deep aesthetics.  DPS, dodge, use your heal skill, etc  You'll hear a lot about these magical things called combo fields.  Mostly impractically and usually ineffective, they can sometimes help your group.  I have yet to see the miracle in person though.  As if combo fields and dodging can replace resource management, healing, and agro management.  Pure hubris on the part of the devs.

Had to stop reading here since it shows you're on a mission.

First of all, trying to play a ranger as a sniper and putting your trait points into the beastmastery tree does not even make sense. I've played ranger enough to say that my pet is a towel dragging it self around the battlefield while I'm destroying enemies at 1500 with a longbow.

Second, there definately are glass cannons since every class can be one with everything spent on damage traits and stats, and certain professions are able to become very tanky with the right build and gear with shields and blocking moves etc.

Just try to play a 2h-weapon/dualwield or rifle warrior like you would play a sword+shield warrior with emphasis on toughness and vitality and tell me how close either of the play styles came to eachother, or say, engineer or perhaps a thief? Right, the only similarity is that you use dodge, if you feel using dodge is most of the gameplay, it means you either troll or are very very bad.

Combos? I managed to do a solo combo as an engineer today where I got 6 stacks of might while applying weakness to my opponents. I could have added a retaliation buff on top of that if I would have used the elixir gun's super elixir too. If that's ineffective I dont know what is effective. It certainly required a lot more skill and planning than staring at a manabar while going through ability rotation.

Why on a mission? What's the goal?

• TheIronLegionTheIronLegion Member Posts: 269

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by Kuinn

Had to stop reading here since it shows you're on a mission.

First of all, trying to play a ranger as a sniper and putting your trait points into the beastmastery tree does not even make sense. I've played ranger enough to say that my pet is a towel dragging it self around the battlefield while I'm destroying enemies at 1500 with a longbow.

Second, there definately are glass cannons since every class can be one with everything spent on damage traits and stats, and certain professions are able to become very tanky with the right build and gear with shields and blocking moves etc.

Just try to play a 2h-weapon/dualwield or rifle warrior like you would play a sword+shield warrior with emphasis on toughness and vitality and tell me how close either of the play styles came to eachother, or say, engineer or perhaps a thief? Right, the only similarity is that you use dodge, if you feel using dodge is most of the gameplay, it means you either troll or are very very bad.

Combos? I managed to do a solo combo as an engineer today where I got 6 stacks of might while applying weakness to my opponents. I could have added a retaliation buff on top of that if I would have used the elixir gun's super elixir too. If that's ineffective I dont know what is effective. It certainly required a lot more skill and planning than staring at a manabar while going through ability rotation.

Why on a mission? What's the goal?

not sure how anyone could say my dagger/dagger ele in full presicion/cond gear is anything but a glass cannon i die in only a couple hits from an even level mob if they ever catch me:P also funny how he talks about no resource management yet obviously thief requires this.. not to mention the stealth thing and.. yea.. even more humorous is how many say they 100% agree with everything he said. Iv'e said it before it's great to be criitcal and voice an opinion about how they could improve the game but if you really think that's what this review is... well okay then.

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• LytheEmberLytheEmber Member UncommonPosts: 43

Update:  Community: 2

Just look at how quickly and without provocation the replies become personal.  I'm a tool, I'm playing it wrong, etc.  Good stuff.  Also forgot to note how unsociable the game is, though there's so many topics about this in this forum and in the General one, that it pretty much goes without saying.

As stated by others, your title alone is wonderfully provocative.  Surely you were not ignorant of this fact when you crafted it.  I think a "Guild Wars 2 is not for me" title would have been more benign but I get the feeling you were not going for such an impression.

Yep and such claims have been countered.  The social aspects of any game in this genre are what you make of it, much like a profession/class can be what you make of it...the more time you spend honing your skills the better you will play.  The more social YOU are, the more social the game will become for you.

Gameplay and Combat: 6.0

Let's rewind to a few months before release.  I didn't have access to BWE.  I could watch videos, which don't really tell you much about certain aspects of an mmo, character creation, customization, skill choices, etc.  No one was really talking about how combat worked outside of wild claims of how much skill it took to move your character away from attacks and hit the dodge button.

I was honestly a little intimidated.  I look back at those feelings now and laugh.  Having come from DC Universe, I can tell you that game's movement and attacks are both more varied and involve ten times as much skill as that of GW2.  I know because I never mastered it in DCUO, but I was good enough that I could see how others were able to counter all my common block breaking and stunlock tricks.  Truly impressive gameplay there, but too high level for a casual non-tekkenish player like myself. 

Guild wars 2 on the other hand took all of an hour or so, and only because when you first start out you don't have access to all the skills available on the weapon you equip.  But afterwards, you learn a flow, and moving is easy, dodging even easier (especially for me, who set it to the spacebar.)

To unlock the skills?  Perhaps, yes.  They ARE easy to unlock, some more so than others.  However, it does take much longer and more practice to learn WHEN to use certain skills (firing off an F3 group Aegis as a GRD for example right before a large mob does an AoE attack.)

Additionally, utilizing effective combos with others takes some time and practice.  It's fairly easy to fire a ranged weapon through a fire ring (or wall) but more difficult to set yourself up to make a Combo Leap through or into such a field at a target so you can acquire a personal shield.  Such actions happen on the fly and you must be able to react to take advantage of them.  There is more depth beyond simply unlocking skills. 

You give the impression that you had the whole combat system mastered in about an hour.  No you did not.  You know you did not.  Moving and firing off skills while dodging does not the entire system make...

Outside of endurance for dodge (you get 2 dodges per full bar whooopeee), there's no resource management.  There's no mana, no rage, no energy, etc.  Necromancers almost get what would be considered a resource to gather and spend, but I didn't spend enough time with them to say much about it, except it was very simplistic.  Instead, I was a ranger.   Considered by many a powerful choice, I do not disagree.   Oddly though, my pet was more powerful than me.  I didn't test much without trait points allocated, but with 20 into pet attributes, it consistently outdamaged me, and could take more punishment, and regened life faster.    I was hoping to have a powerful sniper, but instead I was a beastmaster. 

That is an absolute lie.  You used the Necro's extra life bar as example right after this statement.  You are contradicting yourself.  My wife plays a Necro and the ebb and flow of filling this life bar through regular attacks and then using it IS managing a resource.  As another poster noted, Thieves have Initiative that must be managed constantly. 

So there's no "rage?"  Have you played a Warrior and managed their Adrenaline resource that fills with each attack?  It's special attack varies with different weapons and you can choose WHEN to use it, i.e. fire off the skill at level 1 Adrenaline and it's less effective, but wait for it to reach Adrenaline level 3 and it's much more useful.  It's not CALLED rage but it's the same concept.

That's the thing, there's no real glass cannons, there's no powerful snipers, there's no stealth class.   There's no tanks, there's no healers.  The classes are very similar in functionality, and the differences are mostly skin deep aesthetics.  DPS, dodge, use your heal skill, etc  You'll hear a lot about these magical things called combo fields.  Mostly impractically and usually ineffective, they can sometimes help your group.  I have yet to see the miracle in person though.  As if combo fields and dodging can replace resource management, healing, and agro management.  Pure hubris on the part of the devs.

My main is a GRD.  Come fight next to me while I wield a hammer where every third attack gives allies around me more armor AND puts down a Light field that can be used to remove conditions...and with the right traiting will also HEAL allies within the circle.  That's only ONE...seems rather effective and practical to me.  And there's the retaliation field (greatsword), the regen field (mace)...oh yeah and the Sanctuary healing and enemies cannot enter bubble.  Yeah those are totally useless.  They help me and my group ALL the time.

Resource management is there.  Healing is there.  It's DAMAGE management for GW2.  You have to think differently.  I'd rather be taking less damage and helping my allies do so as well instead of forcing a mob to hate me ad nauseum. 

Character development and customization: 6.0

You can dye your armor.  Just saying that makes me excited.  Unfortunately, GW2 seems to suck the life right out of it by restricting dyes and making any good ones cost prohibitive until you get up in levels.  Even at 43 I cannot afford a black dye, let alone the truly black abyss dye.    There's also not that many different styles of armor, and if you want to keep one style you need to use a rare consumable to transfer the look.   Strange to bring it up again, but in DCUO you colored pieces how you wanted and once you unlocked a certain style you could use it freely.   Perhaps that system is too lax, but somewhere in between these two systems surely there's perfection. 

Yeah, that's kind of how an economy works.  If no one wanted them they would be easy to get.  There are HUNDREDS of dyes.  You don't HAVE to have a certain one.  Such is YOUR choice.  How do they restrict dyes?  They drop for free all over the world.  It's a system of chance but you're not really restricted. 

You can also try crafting them as a cook.  Also, you could find some friends in game to trade dyes with.  My wife gave me a rare royal blue and I gave her a midnight black and a cinnamon.  You can get nice dyes without spending a ton of in game OR real money.  Limiting yourself to one or two choices is YOU limiting the system, not the system limiting you.

On the development front, 50% of what your character can do is a simple matter of equiping a weapon.  Honestly the system is borderline bizarre.  No choices at all, really?  Then the other half of your skillbar are skills you can unlock, there's a lot of choice here, but as a ranger, most the abilities were so lackluster that it hardly mattered.  The heal was of obvious importance, but the utilities were crap.  I went with the passives after trying most of them. 

Then there's traits.  Magical in the same way combo fields are, I believe that they do change how your character performs in various areas, but there's no active abilities gleaned from traits.  Instead, you spend points wherever it will most increase your damage, as most consider toughness/healing power/vit pointless to up with trait points.  

I am spending most of my trait points in lines with toughness and vitality.  I finished my first AC story mode run with some guildies (and the wife) and had no repair bill.  I was down twice but never dead.  I KNOW my focusing on toughness saved me as I was not getting two shotted by bosses.  Your statement here that you only pile on traits that increase damage directly contradicts your earlier statement that there are no glass canons.

Overall, as someone who came from Diablo 3 very recently, I was already tired of the lack of stat points, skill trees, etc, and GW2 was even more restrictive. 

Crafting: 4.0

In the beginning of the game I may have given this a 9, but as I continued to craft, but came up short on ingredients I needed, having to buy them off the trading post for more than I could really afford, I don't like it.  Not only do you already devote time to the endeavor, and despite what anyone says, it doesn't award that much xp/hour, you then lose money instead of gaining it, and outside of early levels, it's unlikely you'll keep up enough to provide yourself upgrades or make any sort of profit.  Isn't that the point of crafting?  What do mmo devs not understand about this?

YOUR CHOICE, not a requirement.  Do not make your choices out to be the norm for players or try to insinuate that players MUST follow your course of action.  There are nodes all over the world and everyone gets their own, so how can there not be enough out there for you?  You just did not want to go and get them.  What do you not undestand about harvesting in MMOs?

PvE:  7.0

It's actually not bad at first.  Just running out and doing some stuff without collecting a novel full of quests.  I always thought the way oldschool WoW did it was a bit obnoxious.  I prefer a handful of quests that chain together to make a story or drama, of which I am not the star, but an important player.  GW2 doesn't offer that.   And after a while, DE's seem all the same, boss encounters seem all the same.  spam spam spam that attack, done.   Hearts and collecting vistas and POIs and waypoints is not a replacement for questing.  It just doesn't fill the gap that's left from not having any sort of meaningful quest system.  And it gets old fast.   Not only that, but DEs are so dumbed down and simplistic, and you are never awarded loot.  In general loot is very boring even when you find an upgrade.

I only played one dungeon.  It was a chaotic yet boring spamfest, with cutscenes that only I actually watched while the rest of my group left me behind.    In general it wasn't fun.

I really liked AC's story mode and plan to give explorable mode a shot this weekend.  We coordinated attacks to minimize the chaos and it was never boring.  Our run required strategy be it keeping the twins apart or disarming traps while fighting.  I never felt like I was spamming anything.  I've been a Warden tank in LotRO and spammed certain gambits while I stayed in one spot.  I really like the dynamic nature of that dungeon, especially the events that can spawn randomly.

Aesthetics: 9.0

I don't care for the style, especially of mobiles, but the scenery is nice and the graphics quality is clearly impressive.

Overall,:not good.  You can do the math yourself.

I spent 300 bucks upgrading to an i5 to play this game at better than a slideshow.  I'm not just some guy who plopped the game in and played for 5 minutes without anything invested into it.  What irks me the most is how hyped up the game was by people making wild claims that were simply untrue after playing BWEs.  Claims about world vs world, and how awesome combat was seem so out of this world.

As did I and I get 40+ FPS in mostly maxed settings at 1920x1080.  Did you get some RAM and a video card to go with it?  Btw my GPU is an HD5750, hardly top of the line.  And NO I don't OC or have an SSD or 32 gigs of some blazing fast RAM.

A good rule of the thumb is not to let the opinions of others make decisions for you.

I only now review it, as I think I'm ready to move on.  For the past week I've been trying very hard to log in and have fun, and it's just too boring.  With borderlands 2, TL2, and D3 1.05 looming, I don't see why I should waste anymore time.  Otherwise I would have gotten to 80 before writing a review. 

You should have waited since you really have not seen all the game has to offer.  As it stands this review is more of a cathartic monologue based on an incomplete view of the game.

On a final note, doing things differently does not warrant the title revolutionary if the change is bad, and most of the divergence of GW2's systems from the mold are downgrades.   Kudos to the devs for trying, but whoever came up with the replacement systems for the trinity, dungeons, questing, and pvp simply did a bad job.

I'm sorry you did not enjoy your time in Tyria.  However, at LEAST you put some quality time into your statements unlike the usual supects that claim they agree with EVERYTHING you say, which is what they do in every negative thread they visit.  Kudos to you for that.

• lunarwitch00lunarwitch00 Member Posts: 43

game delivered pretty much everything they said it would and then some

if you dont like it  thats a matter of opinion period

not much to overhype when it does exactly what they said it would

its not the best game in the world and by far not the worse

if you like mmos

want something that can be hardcorish and casual

able to do what you want from level 0

well ill leave it at that peace

• kujiikujii Member UncommonPosts: 190
    I love the part where he desires to be, "A powerful sniper." and then puts 20pts into pet skills.  Causing wonder as to how come his pet is out damaging his uber sniper skills.  He mentions D3 1.05...oooh exciting maybe they will throw a mini panda into thier fail dungeon to practice rolling around with... You can slap a demon hat on it and pretend it's the real Diablo.  I smell the stink of Bl.zrd in this post. 
  • CelciusCelcius Member RarePosts: 1,865
    Sweet, another person who bought the game even though they knew they would not like it! People like you make ArenaNet lots of money so they can continue to support the game for people who do enjoy it (like myself). We greatly appreciate it!
  • tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192

And this, ladies and gents..

Is why you dont let the hype train sway you.

• loulakiloulaki Member UncommonPosts: 944
    to OP, i would accept the majority of your ratings, but when i see 2 for the community and 3 for WvW, i am sure that you either dont see the /map chat, and that you dont speak to anyone in order to get an answer, i supose you belong too to these mases of silent hunters, i dont believe ypu will find happiness in any MMO, sorry for that .

• IsawaIsawa Member UncommonPosts: 1,051
    Haha read on the first page that you played for almost a month, must of been pretty good then :D