Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The boring truth and the hype trainwreck that is GW2

Comments

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    Originally posted by Vorthanion
    All I can say is that I'm having much more fun in Planetside 2 than Guild Wars 2, so much so that I rarely if ever even log into GW2, except when the PS2 servers are down for updates.  Go figure, considering I'm not a big fan of action combat, heh.

Wait till the newness wears off. BTW there have been a lot of good fps games out. Sure they don't have the scale of PS2 but they are still pretty fun, I suggest you try them

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

Originally posted by Tardcore
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer   Originally posted by grimal Originally posted by Nightgroper Now I get that this is the review section, and everyone has an opinion but what can be said that has not been said already? Good or bad, there are several other wall of text reviews out there already posted. Everything you have stated here, has been said already, did you need to make an entire new thread for it? You couldn't just post in another's thread that you agreed with, or even offered what you would have added or taken out of their review?   
    Funny, I don't see you complaining about the numerous near identical positive reviews about the game. 
      I find blatant double standard in and of itself worth speaking out against. In as much as someone says to OP you shouldn't keep posing negative opinions, and you should stick to the threads already established, But Threads die. If someone does that they get the "necro" flame. Also not all threads mirror the OPs feelings exactly. And guess what? It can also be said of the opposite. You shouldn't post positive things either. That way, there would be no new threads on this site until some new news broke. Nothing good or bad, Because you say to the OP "Move On!" The OP can say it right back. "Move on" You didn't have to click on teh title, you saw it from the forum board. You didn't need to come in here. You knew the subject wouldn't apply to you. But no, No negative opinion can be left un white knighted.
    Sorry to say you're pissing in the wind my friends. No amount of common sense will stem the tide of overbearing arrogance in those who feel they have to come in here and sling insults any time they feel someone is "messin with their toot toot", which is kind of amusing as they seem not to understand that its this very vitriolic behavior that keeps so many of these negetive threads popping up as some people find it amusing to watch them go into their foaming at the mouth spasms.

Don't agree with this guys review? Fine. Then go write your fucking own.

Oh and MACBETH!!!!

It's too bad really. Had some of the legitimate issues that were questioned way back when, been allowed to be openly discussed over the past year, How much of this backlash would have been avoided? GW2 still would have sold over 2M boxes. The game would still be as enjoyable to those who play it.

• FadedbombFadedbomb Member Posts: 2,081
    Originally posted by Piiritus

Quite agree with OP. I honestly expected more from this game. Wasn't following it much but read about it quite a lot before release. Tbh for me personally the only outstanding feature of GW2 is no sub. Probably playing it wrong (tm).

Edit: Don't agree with PvE getting so high rating. In my opinion it's more like 3-4. I play only Western MMOs so I really cannot bring up any comparisons with Korean generic fantasy garbage.

Same, and I think the largest issue people have is the horribly outlandish claims being made that not only are blatant lies, but are simply untrue.

Claim: "Gear doesn't matter in WvW!"

Reality: a Level 80 fully geared toon will absolutely DECIMATE a level 43 brought up to 80 with level 40ish gear. Definition of gear-based game meets fact.

Claim: "End-Game starts from level 1!"

Reality: End-Game doesn't happen until level 80 when you're grinding Karma for gear, and then moving on to running the same dungeons over & over, and the occasional WvW or sPvP.

Claim: "Trinity is gone, yay!"

Reality: Trinity moved from Tank, Dps, Heals to Dps, Control, Support

I could go on, having a level 80 and three toons around their mid 40s, but i'd just keep depressing myself that I actually spent $60 on this.

The only positive aspect is that I can come back in a couple months for FREE to see if they actually tried to fix anything. So far they're not interested in fixing broken classes, or adding a crap ton of content. They're fixing bugs that should have been fixed pre-launch :(!

The Theory of Conservative Conservation of Ignorant Stupidity:
    Having a different opinion must mean you're a troll.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

Originally posted by grimal

Originally posted by GeezerGamer  

Originally posted by Nightgroper

Originally posted by grimal

Originally posted by Nightgroper Now I get that this is the review section, and everyone has an opinion but what can be said that has not been said already? Good or bad, there are several other wall of text reviews out there already posted. Everything you have stated here, has been said already, did you need to make an entire new thread for it? You couldn't just post in another's thread that you agreed with, or even offered what you would have added or taken out of their review?   
    Funny, I don't see you complaining about the numerous near identical positive reviews about the game. 
      I find blatant double standard in and of itself worth speaking out against. In as much as someone says to OP you shouldn't keep posing negative opinions, and you should stick to the threads already established, But Threads die. If someone does that they get the "necro" flame. Also not all threads mirror the OPs feelings exactly. And guess what? It can also be said of the opposite. You shouldn't post positive things either. That way, there would be no new threads on this site until some new news broke. Nothing good or bad, Because you say to the OP "Move On!" The OP can say it right back. "Move on" You didn't have to click on teh title, you saw it from the forum board. You didn't need to come in here. You knew the subject wouldn't apply to you. But no, No negative opinion can be left un white knighted.
    Wait, what? When did I say for him to "move on". I'm more of looking at typical forum etiquette, since I believe one of the rules for most forums, unless it has changed is: Use the damn search function before postting any new threads.   That's my main complaint here. I get it. I really do. Making a new thread causes a greater impact. I'm not saying his opinion is unimportant, well to me it is because I don't know the OP personally so his opinion is worthless to me.  
      I apologize, I was responding to the post between. In summed up the thoughts based on prior posts in this thread. I realize it looks like I singled you out and I didn't mean to. For that, I'm sorry.
    So that reply was aimed at me?  I was pointing out the double standards here.
    I was agreeing with you, but you and I were responding to different posts in the thread, I was recalling one post. But your post kinds summed up my thoughts but in my mind I was applying it to a different post. Really, it was just a bad move n my part. Don't sweat it.
  • BjelarBjelar Member UncommonPosts: 398
    Originally posted by SaintPhilip
     [mod edit]

Well said. Please, mods, could you send me a PM directing me to the things I need to say in order  to be [mod edit]?

I am sure I missed it when signing up, and I don't know where to find the rules.

• StanlyStankoStanlyStanko Member UncommonPosts: 270

-TL;DR-

Looks pretty but it's just another themepark. BREAKING NEWS!

• BjelarBjelar Member UncommonPosts: 398

This thread seems to be quieting down.

The rewiew is good, fanbois are bad, and hatrers are worse.

Do we all agree and hold hands now?

• rygard49rygard49 Member UncommonPosts: 973

Why is the standard response, in regard to most dissenting opinions, for many GW2 fans to ask, "Why are you even writing this? If you don't like the game don't play it."?

The answer is investment. He bought the game. He paid physical money to play the game. Not only that, he upgraded his system specifically for this title. He took his personal time and monetary resources and devoted a portion of each to this game. That alone entitles him to post his review, whether good or ill.

You don't have to love his opinion. You don't have to even acknowledge it. But to come and tell him that he's wrong to post it is unfair. And those of you wearing their tinfoil hats, accusing him of being paid to specifically be negative about the game are paranoid.

• RictisRictis Member UncommonPosts: 1,300
    Originally posted by Bjelar

This thread seems to be quieting down.

The rewiew is good, fanbois are bad, and hatrers are worse.

Do we all agree and hold hands now?

I like active threads, it means lots of reading for me! But yes the review was neither good or bad, it just needed to be worded better. But in other news, last I checked we are all consumers and should not be arguing amongst ourselves. We can leave that to the politicians, they do enough of that for everyone I assure you.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

Necro = Axe, Dagger, Septer, horn, staff (2 hands), talisman

Axe main hand - 3 abilities FOREVER

Septer main hand - 3 abilities FOREVER

Horn off hand - 2 abilities FOREVER

Talisman off hand - 2 abilities FOREVER

Dagger either hand - 5 abilities if in both hands

Staff both hands - 5 abilities.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935

I was agreeing with you, but you and I were responding to different posts in the thread, I was recalling one post. But your post kinds summed up my thoughts but in my mind I was applying it to a different post. Really, it was just a bad move n my part. Don't sweat it.

Ok. No sweat here.

• redman875redman875 Member Posts: 230

The sad thing about this all isnt the fact that yet again we have another overhyped mmorpg uraveling...but that the next AAA themepark will follow the same exact path as this game and the many over hyped mmorpgs that predate it.  

People never learn.

If the game is overhyped, just remember...it probably NEEDS to be overhyped.  Thats never a good thing.

People are suckers for feeing popular and joining the cool crowd though...these overhyped games thrive on that emotion.

• RandaynRandayn Member UncommonPosts: 904
    Originally posted by bcbully

this is every class too...different weapons...by the time I was level 11 or so, my warrior had unlocked all skills from all possible weapons combinations...Of course I did it by purposely unlocking them, but still....what does that leave as far as main skill progression?

• RandaynRandayn Member UncommonPosts: 904
    Originally posted by redman875

The sad thing about this all isnt the fact that yet again we have another overhyped mmorpg uraveling...but that the next AAA themepark will follow the same exact path as this game and the many over hyped mmorpgs that predate it.  

People never learn.

If the game is overhyped, just remember...it probably NEEDS to be overhyped.  Thats never a good thing.

People are suckers for feeing popular and joining the cool crowd though...these overhyped games thrive on that emotion.

agree 100%....this is why I will never stop pointing out the "elephant in the room" on any forum or in person with others. 

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    It's obvious wow expansion cones out, the hive minders start a forum blitzkreig on the "opposition"
  • grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935
    Originally posted by CujoSWAoA

[mod edit]

Right, because it is completely impossible to be a sane person and not think this is the best MMO ever made.

• ElSandmanElSandman Member Posts: 94

It's too bad really. Had some of the legitimate issues that were questioned way back when, been allowed to be openly discussed over the past year, How much of this backlash would have been avoided? GW2 still would have sold over 2M boxes. The game would still be as enjoyable to those who play it.

^^^ This exactly.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    I play it, its enjoyable for me, I would happily pay a sub for it.

You would have to pay me to play generic wow clone x.

Arenanet made a smart move, they made a themepark mmo for people that don't like wow.

Gw2 will live for a long time because its carved its own market,

P.s I was never on the hype train, I was in tsw beta, I didn't try gw2 until 10 days after launch, and I really don't like gw1 because its a lobby game, which is ironic because every modern themepark bar gw2 and including wow us now a gw1 like lobby game.
  • itssantositssantos Member UncommonPosts: 84

I'm just curious were we got the information that GW2 is bleeding members and will be dead. I'm still running into a few overflow servers.

It is cool you don't like the game and I hope you find one that you and your friends enjoy. I think GW2 and WoW can strive together. WoW will have its army and GW2 will hover around 2m players which is enough for me.

• darkhalf357xdarkhalf357x Member UncommonPosts: 1,237

Interesting review but definitely personal as opposed to objective.  You really have to stop with this whole 'hype train' 'over hype' talk.  The game was promoted (very well actually).  Anybody who believes anything they are told without investigation desesrves to be decieved.  Trust but verify.

For as many people who I speak with who can't stand GW2, I find just as many who absolutely love it.  Speaks volumes to the achievement of Arena NET, all without copying WoW or the standard MMO formula.  I was in all the BWEs, pre-purchased the game and was very excited.  The game is quality but after a few weeks I realized it wasn't for me.  I'm not into PvP at all, but tried it for the first time here and did enjoy myself.  Wasn't enough to convert me.

My issues are around the lack of involved story for PvE.  The personal story was interesting but the lore just felt superficial.  Just my opinion. I didnt feel connected to the world.  It felt more like a huge realm to play in.  But perhaps I didnt play it long enough. I reached level 34. As an explorer I did enjoy running around the different vistas. They truly were beautiful.  But I've come to realize in my old age I like (and miss) the progression system.  Where hitting a new level meant something other than just another accomplishment.  And its here where I see the audiences split.  Those who LOVE casual do-what-you-want gameplay will absolutely be thrilled with GW2.   Those who prefer the older mature RPG elements may not be as satisified.  And you know what?  That's ok.  Trying to convince others that the game is anything different than how they feel is really pointless.  We all are just sharing our opinions... some positive, some negative.   Best part for me? No sub. So I can check-in a few months down the line and slowly move my way to max level.  Who knows, maybe along that path I'll appreciate it more.  Part of the fun of an online game.

What I applaud Arena NET for (and wish other developers take to heart) are the structural changes to the MMO framework.  Sharing of loot/nodes, turning in quests without returning to quest giver, masking quests as dynamic events should be a staple in every MMO going forward.  Its just convenience.  I started playing Mists of Pandaria and instantly noticed the difference. I had to get my quests in order.  If someone hit my mob first they got the loot.  I thought the game was broke before I realized thats how it worked.  Its silly, inefficient and needs to change.

Myself, Ill continue to try all new MMOs that come out. Final Fantasy XIV Realm Reborn is next on my list.

Everquest still holding the number one spot in my book...

I am gamer. Play. Forever.

Originally posted by redman875

People never learn.

Teso will be the SHIT!!!! image

• darkhalf357xdarkhalf357x Member UncommonPosts: 1,237
    Originally posted by Randayn

this is every class too...different weapons...by the time I was level 11 or so, my warrior had unlocked all skills from all possible weapons combinations...Of course I did it by purposely unlocking them, but still....what does that leave as far as main skill progression?

But that point doesnt make GW2 a bad game.  It makes it a game you don't like.  Others obviously like that style of play.

So is your ultimate point that GW2 failed?  If so please be a bit more clear in its failure.  But if your point is you dont believe GW2 has skill progression.  It never did.

Which is it?

• TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,547

chugga chugga chugga Choo Chhoooo!

I like the game OP but I don't love it. It's something to do. It's a different MMO but not the end all of all MMO's.

You make some valid points about: economy, questing, dungeons etc. I agree with some of your statements.

Thanks for sharing!

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

Originally posted by darkhalf357x
    Originally posted by Randayn

But that point doesnt make GW2 a bad game.  It makes it a game you don't like.  Others obviously like that style of play.

So is your ultimate point that GW2 failed?  If so please be a bit more clear in its failure.  But if your point is you dont believe GW2 has skill progression.  It never did.

Which is it?

No not that it failed... The game is one month old ffs. It is failing people in some fundamental areas though. Skill progression/combat is one of them. This is not something they can't improve, but I don't think that it will any time soon. I did hear the Devs say it is something they are looking at though. 

Two steps to improve combat.

1. What if each of those weapons had 10 (20 would be awesome, but yeah..) abilities (instead of 2 or 3...) and you could slot which abilities you like for that weapon. 

2. Combo fieds, have different abilities trigger different active effects, not just meh buffs and debuffs. Like this, whirl A does Y in combo field Z. Whirl B does X in combo field Z. Instead of  A,B,C,D,E doing Y in combo field Z.

• MIKEBOY813MIKEBOY813 Member Posts: 3
    not sure why people keep posting this dumb same topics over and over again if you dont like the game then move on geesh