Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The boring truth and the hype trainwreck that is GW2

Comments

• ForumPvPForumPvP Member Posts: 871
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    Originally posted by Bjelar
    Originally posted by ForumPvP

I agree but there is something weird and good also,Grenadier Engineers ,it is actually skill based class (only one)

You have extensivly tested all classes with all weapons thouroghly in PvE, dungeons and PvP already? Wow. I thought I played a lot.

a) roll character

b) go to heart mists

c) test your character

not that hard really.

Not hard, but quite time consuming. I started as an elementalist, and I've got five alignments and four weapons.... Warriors have 13 weapons I think.... To test each extensivly (it's not always crap because you don't master it within 5 min) would take aproximately forever for an old man like me. I agree youths should be able to do it faster, but everything I see tells me youths are overhyped.

how does testing a build on dummies in the mist in anyway show how well it would play out in a dungeon or PVE in general or wvw for that matter

what is this dungeon crap ,if Anet is planning some kind of eSport dungeon  PvE ,fine.

Anet hear me again,do not plan whatever you were planning anymore.

If you cant understand what manual targeting is,then you just cant,theres also many more other things taking place when moving and turning camera with mouse and you also need that camera and mouse for targeting enemies and grenades also takes time to hit their target ,its not instant and they hit where i clicked,also i need think how fast is someone moving and where, so i need to target somewhere where i suppose my enemy is when those grenades lands.

I didnt find 180 degree camera turn command anywhere, which could help alot in PvP when i dont need to turn camera manually when someone is chasing me,also i didnt find option how i could see enemies stamina so i could time my special attacks etc perfectly,i bet its there in the future.

and im pretty sure when i was testing that there was bit more things on Mists than just target dummies.

Let's internet

• BjelarBjelar Member UncommonPosts: 398
    Originally posted by Nightgroper

Now I get that this is the review section, and everyone has an opinion but what can be said that has not been said already? Good or bad, there are several other wall of text reviews out there already posted. Everything you have stated here, has been said already, did you need to make an entire new thread for it? You couldn't just post in another's thread that you agreed with, or even offered what you would have added or taken out of their review? 

Not everything on the internet is for you. Move on.

If his post was irrelivant, it would have sunk like a stone with zero response.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

Originally posted by grimal
    Originally posted by Nightgroper Now I get that this is the review section, and everyone has an opinion but what can be said that has not been said already? Good or bad, there are several other wall of text reviews out there already posted. Everything you have stated here, has been said already, did you need to make an entire new thread for it? You couldn't just post in another's thread that you agreed with, or even offered what you would have added or taken out of their review?   
    Funny, I don't see you complaining about the numerous near identical positive reviews about the game. 

I find blatant double standard in and of itself worth speaking out against. In as much as someone says to OP you shouldn't keep posing negative opinions, and you should stick to the threads already established, But Threads die. If someone does that they get the "necro" flame. Also not all threads mirror the OPs feelings exactly. And guess what? It can also be said of the opposite. You shouldn't post positive things either. That way, there would be no new threads on this site until some new news broke. Nothing good or bad, Because you say to the OP "Move On!" The OP can say it right back. "Move on" You didn't have to click on teh title, you saw it from the forum board. You didn't need to come in here. You knew the subject wouldn't apply to you. But no, No negative opinion can be left un white knighted.

• XzenXzen Member UncommonPosts: 2,607
    Originally posted by Randayn

I agree but there is something weird and good also,Grenadier Engineers ,it is actually skill based class (only one)

You have extensivly tested all classes with all weapons thouroghly in PvE, dungeons and PvP already? Wow. I thought I played a lot.

when will fanbois realize that it's less about what you can do with your toon then what's needed to succeed.....this game is EASY...no real difficulty...it's also chaotic because there are no real roles for each person....

Like the OP said, DCUO combat is much more skill based and you HAVE to put everything in your arsenal to use to be successful....that's the difference..

Did you just call me a fanboy? Please answer.

no, I called you a fanboi....no difference cept for the "i" replaces the "y"....this forum is milked to the bone with fanbois....claiming this game is difficult and requires skill....it's just plain false...my 7 year old plays this game all the time and has 0 difficulty killing things....I try to play, but realize I won't be challenged nor progress as much as most MMO's would offer.

I've seen the game called easy by fans and too hard by a lot of haters. People are all over the place on this subject. I think the game is easy and I still think it's fun.

• timtracktimtrack Member UncommonPosts: 541

(6+6+4+3+7+9)/6 = 5.83

A bit harsh to use "trainwreck" when you score it 5.8/10. [mod edit]

• BjelarBjelar Member UncommonPosts: 398

when will fanbois realize that it's less about what you can do with your toon then what's needed to succeed.....this game is EASY...no real difficulty...it's also chaotic because there are no real roles for each person....

Like the OP said, DCUO combat is much more skill based and you HAVE to put everything in your arsenal to use to be successful....that's the difference..

no, I called you a fanboi....no difference cept for the "i" replaces the "y"....this forum is milked to the bone with fanbois....claiming this game is difficult and requires skill....it's just plain false...my 7 year old plays this game all the time and has 0 difficulty killing things....I try to play, but realize I won't be challenged nor progress as much as most MMO's would offer.

Sorry, I bend over and apologize. I should not have expected that you read my previous post where I said, I quote "

oh.....COME ON!

I like GW2 as well, but you can't possibly argue it is difficult. It's a walk in the themepark, I am an old man and pretty much never die as en elementalist. My guardian alt a monkey on booze could play. Don't say GW2 is challenging. That's missing the point. GW2 is easy entertainment for (almost) free. Be happy. I am. I like GW2."

Don't call people names unless they have big noses, please.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by Randayn this forum is milked to the bone with fanbois....claiming this game is difficult and requires skill....it's just plain false...my 7 year old plays this game all the time and has 0 difficulty killing things....I try to play, but realize I won't be challenged nor progress as much as most MMO's would offer.

yes the "skill" claim gets made - too often

but it is a selling point for GW2 that gear will not carry you through

• Four0SixFour0Six Member UncommonPosts: 1,175
    gone over why I have so many posts several times you are welcome to search for it:) I'm asking more out of curiosity as when I dislike a game like torchligh 2 for example I have no desire to bitch and moan about it..I just toss it aside and move to something I enjoy... guess I'm just strange I dunno

No need, I was just trying to illustrate a point.  But it seems it may have been lost....what I am saying is people have reasons for doing things that may seem foreign to others.  Just a part of life.  What may seem odd to you is not to others and vice-versa.

which is why I said I was curious if anyone had any insight as to what drives someone to continuously talk about video games they dislike...in life people do this all the time on religion or politics but generally its part of some sort of agenda ...just seems video games should be about fun about entertainment... I guess I'm wrong who knows... oh also as I see someone else poked at my post count I'm in the military I work 12 hour shifts with half my time traveling to various locations around the area and luckily I usually don't drive so I have plenty of extra time to post from my phone.

Socrates, one example of sitting around and talking about stuff he didn't like.....guess nothing good came of that.

/sarcasm off

• SaintPhilipSaintPhilip Member Posts: 713
    Originally posted by Xzen

I've seen the game called easy by fans and too hard by a lot of haters. People are all over the place on this subject. I think the game is easy and I still think it's fun.

his is how I feel- I am in my mid 40s and havnt died yet. (not counting WVW - I am speaking PVE) but its fun. I kill a few hours here and there and have gotten my $$$ out of the game already.

If I played alot though I would be very bored- I am taking it easy and casual and still having fun so far.

-That said it really is lacking in the depth dept.

• SaintPhilipSaintPhilip Member Posts: 713
     [mod edit]

Dude, thgis Forum is for discussion.

Discuss or leave (dont complain about OPs opinion)

• NightgroperNightgroper Member Posts: 76
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer

Originally posted by Nightgroper Now I get that this is the review section, and everyone has an opinion but what can be said that has not been said already? Good or bad, there are several other wall of text reviews out there already posted. Everything you have stated here, has been said already, did you need to make an entire new thread for it? You couldn't just post in another's thread that you agreed with, or even offered what you would have added or taken out of their review?   
    Funny, I don't see you complaining about the numerous near identical positive reviews about the game. 

I find blatant double standard in and of itself worth speaking out against. In as much as someone says to OP you shouldn't keep posing negative opinions, and you should stick to the threads already established, But Threads die. If someone does that they get the "necro" flame. Also not all threads mirror the OPs feelings exactly. And guess what? It can also be said of the opposite. You shouldn't post positive things either. That way, there would be no new threads on this site until some new news broke. Nothing good or bad, Because you say to the OP "Move On!" The OP can say it right back. "Move on" You didn't have to click on teh title, you saw it from the forum board. You didn't need to come in here. You knew the subject wouldn't apply to you. But no, No negative opinion can be left un white knighted.

Wait, what? When did I say for him to "move on". I'm more of looking at typical forum etiquette, since I believe one of the rules for most forums, unless it has changed is: Use the damn search function before postting any new threads.

That's my main complaint here. I get it. I really do. Making a new thread causes a greater impact. I'm not saying his opinion is unimportant, well to me it is because I don't know the OP personally so his opinion is worthless to me.

The more I'm around the forums on this site, the more bitter I become.

Originally posted by ChrisReitz
    OverAll; dont play it. No one is forcing you too. You just wasted a couple hours writing this. In a useless thread that will die in about a week. Go pat yourself on the back and read a book?

So if he had come out and made a well thought, well written meaningful post that praised all the good qualities of the game, what would be different? And so then what differentiates that from the other 99% of posts on these boards?

Originally posted by GeezerGamer   Originally posted by grimal Originally posted by Nightgroper Now I get that this is the review section, and everyone has an opinion but what can be said that has not been said already? Good or bad, there are several other wall of text reviews out there already posted. Everything you have stated here, has been said already, did you need to make an entire new thread for it? You couldn't just post in another's thread that you agreed with, or even offered what you would have added or taken out of their review?   
    Wait, what? When did I say for him to "move on". I'm more of looking at typical forum etiquette, since I believe one of the rules for most forums, unless it has changed is: Use the damn search function before postting any new threads.

That's my main complaint here. I get it. I really do. Making a new thread causes a greater impact. I'm not saying his opinion is unimportant, well to me it is because I don't know the OP personally so his opinion is worthless to me.

I apologize, I was responding to the post between. In summed up the thoughts based on prior posts in this thread. I realize it looks like I singled you out and I didn't mean to. For that, I'm sorry.

• TardcoreTardcore Member Posts: 2,325

Sorry to say you're pissing in the wind my friends. No amount of common sense will stem the tide of overbearing arrogance in those who feel they have to come in here and sling insults any time they feel someone is "messin with their toot toot", which is kind of amusing as they seem not to understand that its this very vitriolic behavior that keeps so many of these negetive threads popping up as some people find it amusing to watch them go into their foaming at the mouth spasms.

Don't agree with this guys review? Fine. Then go write your fucking own.

Oh and MACBETH!!!!

"Gypsies, tramps, and thieves, we were called by the Admin of the site . . . "

• SiugSiug Member UncommonPosts: 1,257
    Originally posted by ChrisReitz
    OverAll; dont play it. No one is forcing you too. You just wasted a couple hours writing this. In a useless thread that will die in about a week. Go pat yourself on the back and read a book?

This thread cannot be useless if it touched you so much image After playing GW2 since August 28 minus last week I find this thread a spot on. For me (very) personally GW2 is a mediocre game at best.

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

which is why I said I was curious if anyone had any insight as to what drives someone to continuously talk about video games they dislike...in life people do this all the time on religion or politics but generally its part of some sort of agenda ...just seems video games should be about fun about entertainment... I guess I'm wrong who knows...
    Maybe I can shed some light on this :)

1) If someone were to come to this site looking for "players thoughts" on a game, are they better served with only one side being bandied about?

2) Some posters are just trolls. Deep down, all they want is to rile people up.

3) Sometimes, postings get so sweet that a little vinegar helps cut down the sweetness. Call it playing devil's advocate, if you will.

4) Some posters may believe that what they post will help others make a decision, good or bad.

5) Some posters feel they are on a crusade against a game/developer/publisher/company. Sometimes, a poster may feel "cheated" by a game and shoulder the burden of letting everyone who will read know their personal situation.

I am sure there are many other reasons why posters post negatively about games they do not enjoy, but hopefully these will help you understand why some negative postings get posted. I am NO expert by any means. I just like studying human nature :)

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Best mmo since eve / daoc
  • NightgroperNightgroper Member Posts: 76

@ GeezerGamer  

I have to apologize as well, since I kinda misunderstood your post as singling me out. Anyways back on topic. I slightly disagree with the statement of no resource managment. There is some the most basic of all resources in battle, your health. Though I do agree with the combo field, the first 20 levels I found it useless, and after I hit 23-24 I started trying to use it more. I do agree about dodge. I mean I know how important it is but I always forget about it.

The more I'm around the forums on this site, the more bitter I become.

• mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770
    Atleast someone is willing to be bold and honestly point out GW2 failings. It is a valueble review compared to the glowingly positive professional fanboy reviewers.
  • OnomicOnomic Member Posts: 196
    Originally posted by adam_nox 

I was honestly a little intimidated.  I look back at those feelings now and laugh.  Having come from DC Universe, I can tell you that game's movement and attacks are both more varied and involve ten times as much skill as that of GW2.  I know because I never mastered it in DCUO, but I was good enough that I could see how others were able to counter all my common block breaking and stunlock tricks.  Truly impressive gameplay there, but too high level for a casual non-tekkenish player like myself. 

I dont get how you can say this and claim swtor was pretty good.

I could agree with this if you thought all other mmorpg outside dcuo sucked but you dont.

• RokurgeptaRokurgepta Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,136
    Originally posted by Nibs

I didn't test much without trait points allocated, but with 20 into pet attributes...I was hoping to have a powerful sniper, but instead I was a beastmaster. 

Perhaps putting points into the 2 archery based traits you have gotten somewhere.

I have all my points in them and whilst my pet sucks, my own damage is fantastic.

It seems to me the OP did not do much in game(seems to be a common thing he mentions) but has had a negative opinion in any post I have seen by him. Its a well worded review and the game does not suit him and thats fine, but he has never said anything good about the game that I have seen.

I know he hates hearing he is playing it wrong, but if you put 20 trait points into beastmastery and expect to have a strong sniper, YOU ARE PLAYING IT WRONG.

Nibs on the otherhand understand trait points and build synergy. That is why nibs has a ranger that does good bow damage, he built it right.

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935
    Originally posted by Onomic

I was honestly a little intimidated.  I look back at those feelings now and laugh.  Having come from DC Universe, I can tell you that game's movement and attacks are both more varied and involve ten times as much skill as that of GW2.  I know because I never mastered it in DCUO, but I was good enough that I could see how others were able to counter all my common block breaking and stunlock tricks.  Truly impressive gameplay there, but too high level for a casual non-tekkenish player like myself. 

I dont get how you can say this and claim swtor was pretty good.

I could agree with this if you thought all other mmorpg outside dcuo sucked but you dont.

He has a different opinion than yours.  It's really not that difficult to understand.

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935

I apologize, I was responding to the post between. In summed up the thoughts based on prior posts in this thread. I realize it looks like I singled you out and I didn't mean to. For that, I'm sorry.

So that reply was aimed at me?  I was pointing out the double standards here.

• RokurgeptaRokurgepta Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,136
    Originally posted by mmoguy43
    Atleast someone is willing to be bold and honestly point out GW2 failings. It is a valueble review compared to the glowingly positive professional fanboy reviewers.

Value is subjective. While I would find no value in a review that gave the game all 10s. I also find no value in a review that is full of bad information and lack of time spent. It is hard to take a review seriously that says the reviewer spent little time on X or Y in game and then reviews it poorly when his choices were wrong. Such as putting 20 trait points in beastmastery and expecting a ranger sniper build to appear. If you take no time to learn the game your review will show that and this one does.

Plus posters history on these forums shows this review was predictable from beta days.