Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The boring truth and the hype trainwreck that is GW2

adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148

Update 2:  There are a few things worth noting up here at the top.

- People who claim bias based on post history have no arguments, that's why they make such claims.  If I had much negative to say about GW2 prior to at least 20 days playing it (including headstart), it was about technical difficulties.  Some fanboys take neutral observations as all out attacks on their precious, so I guess some posts are open to interpretation.  If someone says 'based on your post history', then ignore their post, because they have nothing to say.

- I'm not a WoW fan.  I find the idea hilarious.  I guess I'm a victim of MoP release date.  I liked vanilla WoW.  I'm not a fan of kungfu panda.  Cataclysm's remake of the 1-60 was cool, but I don't play WoW, have vowed never to return to it, and have maybe racked up a whole 6 months subbed in it's 7+ year life.

-  Don't like eye-catching thread titles and want to reply only to that aspect?  Ok, have fun with that.  My advice is get over it.  It doesn't say GW2 is a trainwreck.  That's idiotic.  It says it's a hype trainwreck, which it is.  And the fault of that lies more with the people here (many probably replying in this topic) than it does with the folks at Anet.  Maybe that's why people are so angry at this review.  GW2 is at best mediocre, but was made out to be the second coming. 

- I doubt that my review is as baseless as the die-hards want to believe, it's clear I've touched a nerve and hit too close to home.  I never expected much attention and thought it would just go unnoticed, I just wanted to post it before I moved on to other games, as I'm already forgetting about GW2 as I enjoy Torchlight 2.  I didn't even know topics updated in this section show up under recent posts on the front page of the site. 

And now, the review...

Gameplay and Combat: 6.0

Let's rewind to a few months before release.  I didn't have access to BWE.  I could watch videos, which don't really tell you much about certain aspects of an mmo, character creation, customization, skill choices, etc.  No one was really talking about how combat worked outside of wild claims of how much skill it took to move your character away from attacks and hit the dodge button.

I was honestly a little intimidated.  I look back at those feelings now and laugh.  Having come from DC Universe, I can tell you that game's movement and attacks are both more varied and involve ten times as much skill as that of GW2.  I know because I never mastered it in DCUO, but I was good enough that I could see how others were able to counter all my common block breaking and stunlock tricks.  Truly impressive gameplay there, but too high level for a casual non-tekkenish player like myself. 

Guild wars 2 on the other hand took all of an hour or so, and only because when you first start out you don't have access to all the skills available on the weapon you equip.  But afterwards, you learn a flow, and moving is easy, dodging even easier (especially for me, who set it to the spacebar.)

Outside of endurance for dodge (you get 2 dodges per full bar whooopeee), there's no resource management.  There's no mana, no rage, no energy, etc.  Necromancers almost get what would be considered a resource to gather and spend, but I didn't spend enough time with them to say much about it, except it was very simplistic.  Instead, I was a ranger.   Considered by many a powerful choice, I do not disagree.   Oddly though, my pet was more powerful than me.  I didn't test much without trait points allocated, but with 20 into pet attributes, it consistently outdamaged me, and could take more punishment, and regened life faster.    I was hoping to have a powerful sniper, but instead I was a beastmaster. 

That's the thing, there's no real glass cannons, there's no powerful snipers, there's no stealth class.   There's no tanks, there's no healers.  The classes are very similar in functionality, and the differences are mostly skin deep aesthetics.  DPS, dodge, use your heal skill, etc  You'll hear a lot about these magical things called combo fields.  Mostly impractically and usually ineffective, they can sometimes help your group.  I have yet to see the miracle in person though.  As if combo fields and dodging can replace resource management, healing, and agro management.  Pure hubris on the part of the devs.

Character development and customization: 6.0

You can dye your armor.  Just saying that makes me excited.  Unfortunately, GW2 seems to suck the life right out of it by restricting dyes and making any good ones cost prohibitive until you get up in levels.  Even at 43 I cannot afford a black dye, let alone the truly black abyss dye.    There's also not that many different styles of armor, and if you want to keep one style you need to use a rare consumable to transfer the look.   Strange to bring it up again, but in DCUO you colored pieces how you wanted and once you unlocked a certain style you could use it freely.   Perhaps that system is too lax, but somewhere in between these two systems surely there's perfection. 

On the development front, 50% of what your character can do is a simple matter of equiping a weapon.  Honestly the system is borderline bizarre.  No choices at all, really?  Then the other half of your skillbar are skills you can unlock, there's a lot of choice here, but as a ranger, most the abilities were so lackluster that it hardly mattered.  The heal was of obvious importance, but the utilities were crap.  I went with the passives after trying most of them. 

Then there's traits.  Magical in the same way combo fields are, I believe that they do change how your character performs in various areas, but there's no active abilities gleaned from traits.  Instead, you spend points wherever it will most increase your damage, as most consider toughness/healing power/vit pointless to up with trait points.  

Overall, as someone who came from Diablo 3 very recently, I was already tired of the lack of stat points, skill trees, etc, and GW2 was even more restrictive. 

Crafting: 4.0

In the beginning of the game I may have given this a 9, but as I continued to craft, but came up short on ingredients I needed, having to buy them off the trading post for more than I could really afford, I don't like it.  Not only do you already devote time to the endeavor, and despite what anyone says, it doesn't award that much xp/hour, you then lose money instead of gaining it, and outside of early levels, it's unlikely you'll keep up enough to provide yourself upgrades or make any sort of profit.  Isn't that the point of crafting?  What do mmo devs not understand about this?

WvW:  3.0

I'd like to hear from some old school DAoC (original frontiers, not new frontiers) players who liked it's RvR and how they feel WvW compares.  To me it's pretty crappy.  It's simplistic, and at the same time requires several players to get even the smallest task complete, and usually you need siege if you don't want it to take an hour.  It's a bad cumbersome unfun system.  Before the game was released, people made wild claims about WvW.  They said that everyone was on equal footing in terms of character power, no matter what their level, and they said it was the fastest way to level.  Neither claim is even in the ballpark of reality. 

Leveling is slow, you'll die a lot, you'll spend a lot on repair costs, and you'll spend a lot of time just running hoping to find a fight you can get some xp out of before you die again.  And level 80s have many more trait points and much better gear that directly effects the damage they can give and take, and they will beat you up and take your lunchmoney, and if they don't then they suck and have bad gear, probably from leveling all the way up in WvW.   It's not fair at all to lower level players, who don't get their own zones.  Instead of having 4 different WvW zones where one is busy and 3 are not, all at level 80, they could have had Eternal at 80, and one at 30 for a cap, 50, and 65 or 70. 

I didn't do sPvP, I don't care about capture the flag or whatever it is they do in there.  I like war, like in WoW early days at tarren mill/southshore, or DAoC old frontiers, or even in warhammer online. 

In truth there's no war here.  No factions, no world pvp.  Just a cumbersome war game outside the reality of the rest of the game.  It's just another immersion breaker, and makes you wonder, what's the point?

PvE:  7.0

It's actually not bad at first.  Just running out and doing some stuff without collecting a novel full of quests.  I always thought the way oldschool WoW did it was a bit obnoxious.  I prefer a handful of quests that chain together to make a story or drama, of which I am not the star, but an important player.  GW2 doesn't offer that.   And after a while, DE's seem all the same, boss encounters seem all the same.  spam spam spam that attack, done.   Hearts and collecting vistas and POIs and waypoints is not a replacement for questing.  It just doesn't fill the gap that's left from not having any sort of meaningful quest system.  And it gets old fast.   Not only that, but DEs are so dumbed down and simplistic, and you are never awarded loot.  In general loot is very boring even when you find an upgrade.

I only played one dungeon.  It was a chaotic yet boring spamfest, with cutscenes that only I actually watched while the rest of my group left me behind.    In general it wasn't fun.

Aesthetics: 9.0

I don't care for the style, especially of mobiles, but the scenery is nice and the graphics quality is clearly impressive.

Overall,:not good.  You can do the math yourself.

I spent 300 bucks upgrading to an i5 to play this game at better than a slideshow.  I'm not just some guy who plopped the game in and played for 5 minutes without anything invested into it.  What irks me the most is how hyped up the game was by people making wild claims that were simply untrue after playing BWEs.  Claims about world vs world, and how awesome combat was seem so out of this world.

I only now review it, as I think I'm ready to move on.  For the past week I've been trying very hard to log in and have fun, and it's just too boring.  With borderlands 2, TL2, and D3 1.05 looming, I don't see why I should waste anymore time.  Otherwise I would have gotten to 80 before writing a review. 

On a final note, doing things differently does not warrant the title revolutionary if the change is bad, and most of the divergence of GW2's systems from the mold are downgrades.   Kudos to the devs for trying, but whoever came up with the replacement systems for the trinity, dungeons, questing, and pvp simply did a bad job.

Comments

• ConnmacartConnmacart Member UncommonPosts: 722

Would say surprising review, but than again you have been shitting on the game for a long time. 

Hard to look at things objectively when you go in with a negative mindset.

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,306

You're obviously playing it wrong if you found that much that you didn't like.

don'tbanme,don'tbanme,don'tbanme

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• WolvardsWolvards Member Posts: 650
    Hmm, imagine that, I disagree with you... Funny how humans work isn't it?

The "Youtube Pro": Someone who watches video's on said subject, and obviously has a full understanding of what is being said about such subject.

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148
    Originally posted by Connmacart

Would say surprising review, but than again you have been shitting on the game for a long time. 

sorry, but no, not true.  Recently, very recently, I've given honest opinions about the game in other topics, and I've honestly kept it rather mild.  There's no reaspon why my review would look any better.

I played for almost a month with my mouth shut. 

• kDeviLkDeviL Member UncommonPosts: 215
    I'm glad you put the scores in bold, saved me wasting alot of time reading the rest. 3.0 for WvW, and 6 for combat is all I needed to see [mod edit]

If WoW was released today even in its' entirety it would be f2p in 3 months.
    Why is it still such a big deal?

• AlotAlot Member Posts: 1,948

[mod edit]

Guild Wars 2's headstart was one month ago, it's still at 8.99 on this site and it's still receiving high scores from Critics and Metacritic users.

Did you consider the idea that you are in the minority?

• DamzillaDamzilla Member UncommonPosts: 170

Just a tip : don't use decimal numbers where they aren't needed. 

As for the review, it's your personal opinion, and as such you are entitled to it. However, I must disagree with it, as my experience has been mainly different.

• bunnyhopperbunnyhopper Member CommonPosts: 2,751

I don't think it's actually all that good either in fairness.

But to give it it's due some of the little things it does are quite well done and I usually can't stand themeparks, yet it is still proving good enough for me to pass the time on until the likes of Unholy Wars, ArcheAge hit.

"Come and have a look at what you could have won."

• BjelarBjelar Member UncommonPosts: 398

I'll hurry in to say I understand much of what you are saying OP, but I can't comment on PvP (I'm not much of a PvPer).

If you thought that a bTp sequel to GW would involve much skill, you are eighter uninformed or silly. It's not that kind of game, and you should have known.

GW2 is the sope opera of MMO's, you pretty much have to dislike it -but secretly thinks it's ok as entertainment. Don't expect your intellect or skills to be challanged, rather hope it survives.

I am plesantly surprised by GW2. In many aspects it showed itself to be much better than I expected (crafting, classes, cities) and I am overjoyed that I did not make a mistake buying it (I was how to put it -sceptical.)

Maybe you need to adjust your expectations a bit. 

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935

Kudos for actually having the guts to give this game on this board a negative review with some obvious thought behind it!

I haven't quite gotten to the point you are (and may never), but I tried to keep all my expectations in check.  As such, I actually like the game more than you do,  but I can see its shortcomings in the MMO department.

I was never a fan of the hard trinity, but I don't think the answer is this.  Each class needs to play some sort of role in group dynamics. Otherwise, it just becomes boring IMO.

Having played DCUO at launch, I can understand what you mean about combat complexity.  That game certainly had it.   But, we must also remember there was rampant cheating going on making players seem much better than they actually were.

What I miss most in this game is the feeling of progression for my character.  I just got my warrior to about 40 but I am not feeling the need to push her further....

In the end, I think ANET took all the good things out of GW1 and gave us a more massively version of itself but with 80 levels instead of 20.  As much as I like the PVE zones in GW2, I feel they pale to those in GW1.

• sk8chalifsk8chalif Member UncommonPosts: 666
    Originally posted by Damzilla

Just a tip : don't use decimal numbers where they aren't needed. 

As for the review, it's your personal opinion, and as such you are entitled to it. However, I must disagree with it, as my experience has been mainly different.

+1

~The only opinion that matters is your own.Everything else is just advice,~

• ShubawkssShubawkss Member Posts: 55

I only played one dungeon.  It was a chaotic yet boring spamfest, with cutscenes that only I actually watched while the rest of my group left me behind.    In general it wasn't fun.

Okay, so you played one dungeon - so that must mean all dungeons are just like that one dungeon you tried, right? Which one was it; Ascalonian Catacombs?

Necromancers almost get what would be considered a resource to gather and spend, but I didn't spend enough time with them to say much about it, except it was very simplistic.

So you didn't even spend much time with the class - but then you say it sucks / doesn't require any skill?

Even at 43 I cannot afford a black dye, let alone the truly black abyss dye.    There's also not that many different styles of armor, and if you want to keep one style you need to use a rare consumable to transfer the look.

You're level 43 - did you ever play Guild Wars 1? Black dye is considered one of the hardest things to get - it's rare, you aren't supposed to be running around with 30 friends all in Black gear, it's like the "Exotic/Legendary" of dyes.

Otherwise I would have gotten to 80 before writing a review. 

You didn't even reach level cap, and you criticized the games lack of things to do and dynamic event systems - you didn't even get to the Orr area, or any high level area for that matter.

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784
    Originally posted by Connmacart

Couldn't you say the same thing about a review from a rabid fanboi? And it doesn't look like he's being a hater, just making personal observations and opinions.

• voxnorvoxnor osMember Posts: 121

It is a well-written review. I happen to dissagree with you, but you are welcome to your opinion (and to share it) just as I am.

I guess my only real question is - you outright say "the hype is wrong" - I can't sit with that. Hype is players being excited about a game they like and is an opinion - it can't be wrong or right.

• RollieJoeRollieJoe Member UncommonPosts: 451

For the most part I agree with this review and think the scores are fair (notice unlike the trolls/fanbois it wasn't all just 0's and 10's).

On the other hand, OP I think you let the hype sweep you up.  Any intelligent MMO Vet knew months ago that GW2 wasn't going to be anything more than a fair quality WoW-Clone type of game with good graphics, and expected just that.  Going into it with *those* expectations, the game isn't bad and is cheap entertainment for $60 to play for a couple months or on and off if you like WoW-style MMO's.  So to be fair maybe add 1 more score to your review like "Value: 8" or something similar.

• AlotAlot Member Posts: 1,948

Originally posted by Psychow
    Originally posted by Connmacart Would say surprising review, but than again you have been shitting on the game for a long time.  Hard to look at things objectively when you go in with a negative mindset.

And it doesn't look like he's being a hater, just making personal observations and opinions.

Personal observations and opinions?

He's passing off his opinion as a fact.

• bunnyhopperbunnyhopper Member CommonPosts: 2,751
    Originally posted by Alot

Originally posted by Connmacart Would say surprising review, but than again you have been shitting on the game for a long time.  Hard to look at things objectively when you go in with a negative mindset.

And it doesn't look like he's being a hater, just making personal observations and opinions.

Welcome to the forums.

"Come and have a look at what you could have won."

• BjelarBjelar Member UncommonPosts: 398

About the trinity (I know it is derailing the thread but I am a weak person and to my defence I cant help myself):

The problem is the AI of mobbs. It can not evolve with the trinity. If I was an elite boss, I would ignore the tank, and kill the DPSers and healers first.

A blind cow would.

To maintain the trinity is to limit the AI of mobbs to be lesser than a blind cow.

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784

This is a Reviews and Impressions sub-forum. By default, it's his personal observations and opinion. Any facts he stated were from his own personal experiances. And how he interprets those facts are his personal observations and opinions.

Unless he explicitly writes "this is a fact", it's all just opinion.

• ShubawkssShubawkss Member Posts: 55
    This review sounds more like "Bullshit biased opinions of a game that I don't like so I need to tell everyone else it sucks."
    Originally posted by Shubawkss
    This review sounds more like "Bullshit biased opinions of a game that I don't like so I need to tell everyone else it sucks."

Kind of like "Awesome review of a game that I do like so I need to tell everyone else it's awesome?"

• MuntzMuntz Member UncommonPosts: 332
    Originally posted by grimal

Not quite, although he certainly can express his opinion his title is: 

The boring truth and the hype trainwreck that is GW2

Now truth and opinion are not exactly the same thing but typical of the forms. 

OP, sorry it wasn't the game for you. I'm enjoying myself. 

• kluukluu Member UncommonPosts: 46

I agree with the OP.  Hyped game that hasnt lived up to it

Bought this game when Pre-purchase was available

Expected big things, what a let down

• NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904

This is a Reviews and Impressions sub-forum. By default, it's his personal observations and opinion. Any facts he stated were from his own personal experiances. And how he interprets those facts are his personal observations and opinions.

Originally posted by grimal

Had it been a 10/10 review you wouldn't be seeing the GW2 knights in shining armour going on about that...on these subforums none the less.

Though the thread title is a bit sensationalistic imo.