Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

if your an older gamer wow is not for you.

13»

Comments

• Pratt2112Pratt2112 Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    Originally posted by MeGaTronPower

I was talking to some of the older gamers who have played for 7 years in wow have not purchased mop on ventrilo. They told me its not the same, skill tree is not the same etc etc or its not vanilla wow. If your over 35 years old its time to move on from wow, blizzard made the changes especially skill tree so you can customize to deal with raid bosses or pvp on the fly. You customize the new skill tree on the fly on different encounters. Wow is changing to fit the needs of 20 year olds and college kids. In fact most of my friend who purchased are over 20 years old and are in college. Wow changed for the younger demographic market and no for old wow players, or old mmo players. You guys needs to accept this and move on.

Blizzard's goal is not here to retain old 2004 wow players, mop was designed to get those 20 year olds and college kids demographics with mop hence why the changes. They are sheding off old 2004 wow players and get those new generations of 20 year olds market, and it makes sence. Blizzard is smart.

I'll be sure to tell my 45 year-old sister, who enjoys the game just fine for what it is,  that she needs to stop playing, then.

Thanks for the heads up!

• AzaqinAzaqin Member UncommonPosts: 67

With any kind of subscription based business model (and WoW is a business, just like every other MOG), it is necessary to constantly add new subscribers if you want to survive. There will always be those who cancel and walk away (for reasons as varied as finances to time constraints to actually dying in the real world), and to maintain a healthy cash flow, you have to add more clients than you are losing.

What Blizz is doing is attempting to appeal to the widest possible base of potential clients by making the game easier to excell at (what many old school players decry as "dumbing down" or "easy mode"), adding in new minigames and features, removing the necessity for grouping, and the like. They know they are alienating a segment of their established player base, but they are betting that the addition of these things will bring in more players than they lose.

It makes sense. Most of us who would have quit over the addition of Kung Fu Pandas (and yes, I know they are part of the Warcraft canon from way back; that doesn't change the fact that they are simply too silly for some players), Pokemon style pet battles, and seriously easy mode dungeons have been disillusioned with the game for quite some time. MoP wasn't going to bring us back into the fold long term. Many of us (not me, but many others) will buy the MoP box and play a month or so just for s**ts & giggles, more out of habit and curiosity than any real interest, but they aren't going to re-commit to WoW. Blizz is fine with that, they got the box price out of them.

They are hoping these new shiny things will bring in new accounts, and yes, they are skewing young because when you are attempting to establish a new player base for a game, you want to skew young. It just makes sense. They are trying to create a base of new, long-term clients. 

I don't play WoW anymore, even though I have a stable of maybe 7 or 8 level 85s (I honestly don't remember how many), but it's not because it isn't a good game, or that Blizz has "ruined" it. I don't play anymore because Blizz has made choices to take the game in a direction that no longer appeals to me. Blizz believes these choices will make the game appeal to a lot more new players, and they are probably right. Good for them. I don't think they really care that they lost my sub when they likely gained a dozen more.

I keep seeing people claim that this game or that game is the "WoW Killer." No game is the "WoW Killer." WoW is too big, too established, and too popular to be knocked off the top of the mountain right now. But we all know the game that will eventually kill WoW.

It's WoW that will eventually kill WoW. The history isn't long enough to be certain yet, but trends seem to show that MOGs eventually kill themselves. They bury themselves under update after update, patch after patch, expansion after expansion, until the game has grown so cumbersome with new races and classes and factions and builds and skills that the balance simply gives up and dies in an exhausted heap. (For a good example of this see DAOC. A great game that suffocated under the unholy weight of 8 expansions, 18 races, and 45 classes.)

Expansions tend to focus healvily on end-game and high-level content since this is what the current, established player base wants most. They, quite understandably, don't want new beginner zones for an alt, they want new dungeons and raids and challenges for their main. This results in a game, over time, becoming bloated and heavy with high level content, while the starter zones starve, and that makes it harder and harder for the game to attract new clients. Kudos to WoW for trying to break this trend, and while I do not find many of their ideas appealing, at least they are trying to be proactive.

• AzaqinAzaqin Member UncommonPosts: 67
    Originally posted by Candomble

Stop measuring everything only with your own standards and personnal taste. Learn tolerance.

I think it's great that you like the game. Nothing better than a player who has found their game, in my opinion. But out of curiosity, how else should one measure a game? It all comes down to personal standards and taste, doesn't it? MoP fits your standards and tastes, and that's why you judge it to be "good." It doesn't fit someone else's, and thus they judge it to be "bad" or "childish" or whatever. Tolerance works both ways. If you exprct others to be "tolerant" of your approval, you must be "tolerant" of their disapproval.

Although I do agree that the OP worded his post in an extremely dismissive and condescending manner.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001
    Originally posted by Azaqin

I think it's great that you like the game. Nothing bet

Yeah but making such broad sweeping statements is ridiculous. Really? If you are an older gamer then it isnt' for you? But the few mmo players I've met or know are all close to my age and older and only play wow. In fact they dont' know or don't care about other mmo's.

I'm all for people hating things but in no way, shap or form would i ever come to a site and say "I like/hate x therefore I have decided that all others should follow my lead because I'm always right".

Because that would be silly beyond comprehension.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • DkompozeDkompoze Member UncommonPosts: 245

I was talking to some of the older gamers who have played for 7 years in wow have not purchased mop on ventrilo. They told me its not the same, skill tree is not the same etc etc or its not vanilla wow. If your over 35 years old its time to move on from wow, blizzard made the changes especially skill tree so you can customize to deal with raid bosses or pvp on the fly. You customize the new skill tree on the fly on different encounters. Wow is changing to fit the needs of 20 year olds and college kids. In fact most of my friend who purchased are over 20 years old and are in college. Wow changed for the younger demographic market and no for old wow players, or old mmo players. You guys needs to accept this and move on.

Blizzard's goal is not here to retain old 2004 wow players, mop was designed to get those 20 year olds and college kids demographics with mop hence why the changes. They are sheding off old 2004 wow players and get those new generations of 20 year olds market, and it makes sence. Blizzard is smart.

so all 20 year old males like Panda's lmao?   Megatronpower HUH? i bet you have transformer under-roos and panda bed sheets lol

• BanquettoBanquetto Member UncommonPosts: 1,037

Of all the MMOs I have played, WoW always felt like the one that had the oldest population.

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381
    Originally posted by brackatcha
    I meet your definition of an older gamer and WoW is definitely for me...more than any other game. Access to dungeons, always something to do (massive content) are huge positives..by the time I get settled in from work and put the kids to sleep..I might have 1 hour to play which means I dont want to spend 15 minutes screwing around in a pvp queue or dungeon queue; the LFG tool (play a healer) is basically instantaneous. Do I like the skill tree changes? Not really..is wow still the game that fits into this older gamers lifestyle the best...absolutely.

Agree completely. Not sure if op was really intended as "honest" post.

50 here and enjoying as ever MOP. Truth is however, my new no.1. is for about half year or so SWTOR. Wow is still however very close 2nd. As for 3rd have already hard times if put there new arrival GW2, which is a blast, or keep on that place Rift.

I think mature players looks for more complexity, polishness, many different candyies .... younger are usually happy with anything that is free or is very fast paced, .... Not sure however is this would fit all young, but have alot of friends with kids >12 or around15-16 ....

Also, Imo of course, any game that is solo friendly (solo does not mean associal or alike), is for older players. Usually we all have jobs, kids, ... other things to do in life then constantly lfg-ing for company even for normal pve.

• Quizar1973Quizar1973 Member UncommonPosts: 251
    My Old man was 67 and was playing WOW till the day he passed away....He had 4 LvL 85s and rockin Epic dungeons and PvP the night before he died....And he loved it...I still have his old account that was givin to me cause I played with him everyday even though Him and I lived in Different states....I havent played his account since he died but i know I have it and its like theres still a part of my dad with me everytime i look at his account.
    No one shall Rent space in my head!!!!!  B)
  • Bilko101Bilko101 Member Posts: 11
    Originally posted by moguy2
    Wow , in the lower levels , is geared for the 9-14 ages. In the higher levels 15-22.. That is my take on that.

I totally agree, but I would drop the ages by 2 or 3 years. With it's cutsie, furry, squeeking little creatures it's a total kiddie game now.

It's a game that makes you feel like an idiot for playing it. I played it since launch, but it's time to move on.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by Azaqin
    The history isn't long enough to be certain yet, but trends seem to show that MOGs eventually kill themselves. They bury themselves under update after update, patch after patch, expansion after expansion, until the game has grown so cumbersome with new races and classes and factions and builds and skills that the balance simply gives up and dies in an exhausted heap.

Not enough 8-year-mark data point games to compare.

But apply Occam--isn't the simplest explanation that decade-old games just look and feel...old?

You can juggle the complex answers all you want, but in the end there aren't many people knowledgeable enough about player demographic data to tell you why, exactly, a game 'died'.  And the ones that have actual data are all working under NDA's. 

Players ofren still suffer from the delusion that games can be/are 'killed' by external forces...instead of what (historically) seems to happen to big titles, the long slow fade into still-operating (barely) obscurity.

Our efforts to identify whodunit are usually futile; but you can be certain it's never a single cause.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• BrianshoBriansho Member UncommonPosts: 3,586

Guy at my work was part of the internal testing and said you fight a big monkey that tells you he is going to "hit you in your moo moo" the entire fight. Is this true??

Don't be terrorized! You're more likely to die of a car accident, drowning, fire, or murder! More people die every year from prescription drugs than terrorism LOL!

• UhwopUhwop Member UncommonPosts: 1,791

I guess I'm to old to play WoW. 

Played 5 years when it released, MoP actually made it fun again.  My mage feels a lot more like the mage I played in vanilla, the pet battles are actually fun and suprisingly challenging, and I think this is the best talent system yet; even better then WoW talent system that was pretty much broken for both my mage and hunter. 

Totally disagree withe the OP.   Also really don't dig him thinking he knows what an older gamer should or shouldn't be playing.  You be you and let everyone else be them.  The world works much better that way. 

• PulazzoPulazzo Member UncommonPosts: 7
    Originally posted by Bilko101
    Wow , in the lower levels , is geared for the 9-14 ages. In the higher levels 15-22.. That is my take on that.

I totally agree, but I would drop the ages by 2 or 3 years. With it's cutsie, furry, squeeking little creatures it's a total kiddie game now.

It's a game that makes you feel like an idiot for playing it. I played it since launch, but it's time to move on.

I know for a fact, that the age requirement for WoW levels is : Level-(BMI+Age) which luckily gives me another 23 years to play. Unless I get really fat real quick, of course. Then I'll have to play STO.

Originally posted by Bilko101

WoW makes you feel like an idiot playing it?  I would personally be to embarassed to admit that a game I think is made for 7+ year olds makes me feel that way. 

• Grimlock426Grimlock426 Member Posts: 159
    42 year old here and still enjoying WoW.  Guess I didn't get the memo that it's not for me any longer.    :)
  • HricaHrica Member UncommonPosts: 1,129

well thank you..... MeGaTronPower......for saving me the money and not buying MoP

Originally posted by Hrica

well thank you..... MeGaTronPower......for saving me the money and not buying MoP

The irony.

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785

Yay! I'm not over 35 so I don't have to move on yet!

Although, I have been playing since 2004 and hit 30 this year, too bad I'm playing a game for kids. I should go play a game for adults like Canasta. I'm pretty sure the average age of canasta players is 64.

This discussion has been closed.