Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mass Exodus for MoP... or not?

Comments

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381
    I have left for MOP but this is first time I'm sorry that release dates are so close. Will play MOP, be subbed I guess for some time, but much shorter then usually i guess. Not only for GW2, but still will enjoy a lot when returning to GW2.
  • ronpackronpack Member Posts: 138
    Originally posted by daltanious
    I have left for MOP but this is first time I'm sorry that release dates are so close. Will play MOP, be subbed I guess for some time, but much shorter then usually i guess. Not only for GW2, but still will enjoy a lot when returning to GW2.

What are you talking about? You ONLY play one game and that's it? You can play GW2 anytime you want. It has no subscription!

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    I like the arrogance in this thread of assuming most gw2 players came from wow and therefore will go back to wow.

Surely amongst the gw2 playerbase there are
    People who have come from gw1
    People who are part of the rvr crowd in it for the WvW, which wow does not have.
    Problem who come from various random other games like me coming from tsw & perpetuum.
  • SeelinnikoiSeelinnikoi Member RarePosts: 1,360
    Originally posted by Calerxes
    Originally posted by Zezda

I know how fond everyone is of the xfire stats on this site :-p

http://www.xfire.com/genre/mmo/massively_multiplayer_online/

Launch day for MoP and it's still behind. Not looking too good I would say.

Xfire updates at 12 midday GMT so the results are not showing yet. And for those who love a graph, its not looking good let the xfire conspiracies begin.

http://beta.xfire.com/games/gw2

Whoa.... thats a sharp descent! :O

If you are a Star Wars fan, why not try the Star Wars The Old Republic?
    New players can get a welcome package and old/returning players can also get a welcome back package and 7 days free subscription time! Just click here to use my referral invitation
  • halflife25halflife25 Member Posts: 737
    Originally posted by Eir_S
    Originally posted by bcbully
    Originally posted by Jackdog
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer

The fact is, we simply don't have the data to compare. And all this posting of charts and screenshots mean nothing. And while I maintain that populations are ANet's secondary concern, I also think it's foolish to make the statement that WoW had no impact on GW2. It may not have been apparent to some of the player-base, but I would not wish to bet my lunch money on whether ANet's spread sheets are showing no drops across the board from the past 2 days.

the fact is that the people playing GW2 are the ones who are tired of the quest hub holy trinity raid end game EQ clones. There may be some running around in panda attire tonight but I think those type left a week or two ago becasue GW2 does not give the hand holding they desire. Got a feeling morethan a few wil hit the end game raid cycle and be back to GW2

have not played morethan 3 weeks of WoW myselff and that was at release but some pwople are saying it has really went downhill in the last couple of expansions and the latest expansion dumbed it down even farther. Something about the skill tree I guess

I think the GW2 players are the people who were upset that galdiators had better gear.

A very simplistic view of things.  Do you think there's only one reason people play GW2 over WoW?  Frankly, it was all of the reasons the poster I highlighted mentioned, and none of what you mentioned.  Everybody's different.  You should "think" more broadly.

It goes both ways actually. A lot of people who dislike WOW also just make it look like as if all those who want to play WOW do it simply because they are raiders and grinders. Every MMMO offers a lot more than what people here would ever admit because well being honest won't be good for forum PVP.

• SnarlingWolfSnarlingWolf Member Posts: 2,697
    Originally posted by Zezda

I know how fond everyone is of the xfire stats on this site :-p

http://www.xfire.com/genre/mmo/massively_multiplayer_online/

Launch day for MoP and it's still behind. Not looking too good I would say.

You do know XFire lags a day in numbers right? As in it records the numbers and then updates them the next day. The chart isn't in real time. Go there, go back in an hour and then back in an hour. You will see the same numbers each time.

The day after it did pass GW2 quite easily and brought itself back up to #2 on the chart. GW2 is now down to 4th and will soon be 5th. Even better is all of the games beating it have been out for years and it is new.

So be careful how you use XFire to support a case when looking at it correctly can destroy the whole case you tried to make.

• SnarlingWolfSnarlingWolf Member Posts: 2,697
    Originally posted by Jackdog
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer

The fact is, we simply don't have the data to compare. And all this posting of charts and screenshots mean nothing. And while I maintain that populations are ANet's secondary concern, I also think it's foolish to make the statement that WoW had no impact on GW2. It may not have been apparent to some of the player-base, but I would not wish to bet my lunch money on whether ANet's spread sheets are showing no drops across the board from the past 2 days.

the fact is that the people playing GW2 are the ones who are tired of the quest hub holy trinity raid end game EQ clones. There may be some running around in panda attire tonight but I think those type left a week or two ago becasue GW2 does not give the hand holding they desire. Got a feeling morethan a few wil hit the end game raid cycle and be back to GW2

have not played morethan 3 weeks of WoW myselff and that was at release but some pwople are saying it has really went downhill in the last couple of expansions and the latest expansion dumbed it down even farther. Something about the skill tree I guess

Actually one of the reasons I hate GW2 is it is, outside of a couple of hidden jump puzzles, 100% hand holding. GW2 guided me every step of the way and told me exactly what to do and where to go. It marked the map with the stuff I needed to go to. It walked me step by step on getting to my next story quest every time.

If you're going to insult the people who dislike GW2 (more people than do like it) then at least use actual reasons that make any form of sense.

The game is terrible. It is one massive kill/gather task with utterly pointless WvW pvp. I remember back when games tried to make rich and interesting quests with amazing dungeons and fascinating stories. GW2 on the other hand has you perform kill task after kill task and then hop in an instance for 5 minute long boring as hell story quests every now and then. There is no interesting design, fun or excitement. It is one boring as hell mini achievement game. Hey you walked to this spot let me put big letters on the screen so you feel special. Hey YOU DID IT AGAIN!!!

The game feeds of the gaming psychology of constant rewards and feedback on a job well done so that unintelligent players get addicted to getting the next pat on the back.

And no, WoW isn't much better and has constantly designed itself to incorporate it more into the game over the years. They're both examples of awful games but at least WoW has the distinction of having millions of players where as GW2 had 2 million in sales and likely has already less than half of that still playing.

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363

The old saying is: 'If you repeat a lie enough and loud enough, it begins to be the truth'. This is what people who are against any one particular game are doing (It doesnt matter if it is Rift, TOR, TSW, GW2, or WoW).

Just an observation

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748
    Originally posted by SnarlingWolf

Actually one of the reasons I hate GW2 is it is, outside of a couple of hidden jump puzzles, 100% hand holding. GW2 guided me every step of the way and told me exactly what to do and where to go. It marked the map with the stuff I needed to go to. It walked me step by step on getting to my next story quest every time.

Sounds like someone spent his time following hearts rather than actually exploring. The hearts were added later in development when testing showed that most testers would simply wander about aimlessly and not actually join in dynamic events ("I didn't have a quest for that"). So hearts were added to the game/map to give those that need it somewhere to go and begin the acclimation process to dynamic events. The idea is to go to a heart, do the tasks and get drawn away by events.

Events will show up on the map if they're in your immediate area. Jumping puzzles, hidden chests and areas... these don't show up and require exploration. Every zone has at least one jumping puzzle and various hidden chests waiting for the worthy explorer.

GW2 wasn't holding your hand and guiding your every step... you refused to let go of the hand.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,311
    Disclaimer: I put ZERO stock in xfire numbers. But for those that do: Here ya go.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• ChieftanChieftan Member UncommonPosts: 1,188
    Originally posted by WhiteLantern
    Disclaimer: I put ZERO stock in xfire numbers. But for those that do: Here ya go.

Well that was quick.

My youtube MMO gaming channel

• halflife25halflife25 Member Posts: 737

No surprise there really.

• Stx11Stx11 Member Posts: 415
    Originally posted by halflife25

No surprise there really.

What was interesting for me is I think GW2 peaked at around 13k players and is currently at 9,063. While WoW's hours are up, they are only at 9,952 players.

To me number of players as at least if not more important than hours played. I can't believe Blizzard is happy with the number of players they are seeing. During the 5 years I played WoW I was mainly on 4 different Servers. ALL of them are and have remained at Medium during the entire MoP Launch. One of them (Argent Dawn) used to be the RP Server and now it can't crack Medium.

I'll be following the numbers with mild curiosity over the next few weeks. Will WoW's numbers increase? Will they maintain higher numbers than GW2 a month from now after most people finish the 85-90 content? Will GW2's numbers decline or plateau?

I don't know, but I do know my GW2 Server (Tarnished Coast) still has a very vibrant and active community and I run into people all over the place regardless of level. I also still get moved to Overflow in Lion's Arch. I still get queues for WvW during "Primetime" hours. I'm still thrilled with the game (even if I'm not playing 6-8 hours a day anymore) and look forward to playing it for a long, long time.

Originally posted by goozmania
    Originally posted by Volkon
    GW2 wasn't holding your hand and guiding your every step... you refused to let go of the hand.

[mod edit]

So, the jumping puzzles, the hidden Asuran labs, the hidden caves with secret chests and miniboss monsters, the dynamic event chains well away from any hearts, they're either all on the map or don't really exist?

You seem to be missing the fact that there's a lot to do out there that no map will show you.

You can hold ANet hand from heart to heart if you wish, up to Orr (which has no hearts). Or, you can let go and try to see it all.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806

[mod edit]

So, the jumping puzzles, the hidden Asuran labs, the hidden caves with secret chests and miniboss monsters, the dynamic event chains well away from any hearts, they're either all on the map or don't really exist?

You seem to be missing the fact that there's a lot to do out there that no map will show you.

You can hold ANet hand from heart to heart if you wish, up to Orr (which has no hearts). Or, you can let go and try to see it all.

That reminds me of some of the old games. With a quest description that would be something like; "Something in the world  needs doing, go do it..."... ^^   If one is interested in exploring and story, its a good game.

But my level 30 warriors armor and weapons look much the same now, as they did at level 1.  I've seldom seen a game that pays so little attention to such things.  Great graphics over all (landscape and such). But little of that effort was spent on weapons and armor, as far as I can tell.

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • goozmaniagoozmania Member RarePosts: 394

[mod edit]

Most games do not show you where anything is on the map. The last time I played Warcraft, it sure didn't; people were downloading add-ons for that purpose. GW2 shows you where everything important is... All the quests, all the vistas, all the waypoints, all the skill-ups. You even get mail every 10 levels, telling you what dungeon you are ready for, and its exact location. It cannot possibly be more hand-held than that...

Do I need to add how much the combat system "holds your hand." With the exception of the casters, you get 5 weapon abilities, all of which are unlocked on level 1, and generally 2 of which you'll rarely use. Then you get to choose some simplistic utility abilities, with effects that are very easy to understand, but you only get 4, so that it doesn't become too complicated for you (compare this to EQ2, where good players use upwards of 36 abilities in a single battle)... The game tells you where ae's are landing, and the big attacks you need to evade are incredibly slow and obvious (which I don't fault the game for, but it is still the very definition of hand holding). The in-game help system also describes the game in full, in case you're confused about something.

As for crafting: the recipes you are given by default tell you the ingredients of the recipes you need to "discover." For the very very few discovered recipes that aren't obvious, the game tells you how many items you need, and which items are wrong/right, so you never actually waste any materials. No outside research or experimentation is needed.

These characteristics aren't all bad or anything, I've just always hated when people use the "holds your hand" argument to attack another game; it is beyond asinine... especially in a situation where the game you're attacking does so even less than the game you're comparing it to. Guild Wars 2 is the most casual friendly, hand holding experience on the market, and I absolutely believe they intended it to be so.

• KareliaKarelia Member Posts: 668

I'm really not sure how to even respond to something so absurd... So basically, what you are saying is, if you do any of the actual relevant content, it is your fault for being hand held?

Most games do not show you where anything is on the map. The last time I played Warcraft, it sure didn't; people were downloading add-ons for that purpose. GW2 shows you where everything important is... All the quests, all the vistas, all the waypoints, all the skill-ups. You even get mail every 10 levels, telling you what dungeon you are ready for, and its exact location. It cannot possibly be more hand-held than that...

true

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,919

Goozmania when you put it like that you are absolutely right. I just had not realised how hand held it was.

I suppose now that the graph shows a decline it is no longer relevant as far as GW 2 is concerned. Only matters when the numbers show it is high.

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459

Most games do not show you where anything is on the map. The last time I played Warcraft, it sure didn't

This sentence says it all. Another misinformation source detected.

Anyone playing WoW knows you're spewing nonsense, no matter if they like GW2 or not. Quest helpers, with big arrows on the map, have been in WoW for years and years. Built in, not addons.

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• eggy08eggy08 Member Posts: 525
    Originally posted by The_Korrigan

Most games do not show you where anything is on the map. The last time I played Warcraft, it sure didn't

Anyone playing WoW knows you're spewing nonsense, no matter if they like GW2 or not. Quest helpers, with big arrows on the map, have been in WoW for years and years. Built in, not addons.

Not including that they added in quest helper into WoW in or before Cata, can't remember when, so you don't even need the addon on anymore.

• goozmaniagoozmania Member RarePosts: 394

[mod edit]

Last time I played WoW was in 2008, and there were none. If you were near quest giving/completing npc's, the marks would show up on your minimap, but that was all. People were downloading Questhelper or Carbonite Quest to see where to go for updates.

Same in EQ2; though SOE added some very limited helpful icons on the map, people all download an add-on called "EQ2 Maps" to show them all the quest update locations. No MMO I've played has mapped out exactly where players need to go like this one does.

If WoW does so now, as you are currently indicating, then kudos to them? How does that play into the defense that GW2 doesn't "hold your hand"? Oh right, it doesn't...[mod edit]

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459
    Originally posted by eggy08

Not including that they added in quest helper into WoW in or before Cata, can't remember when, so you don't even need the addon on anymore.

Pretty much what I was saying :)

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• GhernGhern Member UncommonPosts: 134

I don't know why I'm bothering responding to an obvious troll... but

Last time I played WoW was in 2008, and there were none. If you were near quest giving/completing npc's, the marks would show up on your minimap, but that was all. People were downloading Questhelper or Carbonite Quest to see where to go for updates.

Same in EQ2; though SOE added some very limited helpful icons on the map, people all download an add-on called "EQ2 Maps" to show them all the quest update locations. No MMO I've played has mapped out exactly where players need to go like this one does.

You played 4 years ago and you posted something as a fact?

Go play today. WoW absolutely holds your hand on quests. They tell you exactly where to go via map icons and minimap arrows pointing you in the right direction.

Like someone else said, no addon needed. Blizz added this to the game some years back. It's a "feature".

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380

GW2 you can turn off all of your map markers.  Can you do that in WoW?  I don't recall you being able to do that. 

Also in GW2, if all you are visiting are marked checkpoints, then you are missing a lot of the hidden gems.

I'm really not sure how to even respond to something so absurd... So basically, what you are saying is, if you do any of the actual relevant content, it is your fault for being hand held?

Do I need to add how much the combat system "holds your hand." With the exception of the casters, you get 5 weapon abilities, all of which are unlocked on level 1, and generally 2 of which you'll rarely use. Then you get to choose some simplistic utility abilities, with effects that are very easy to understand, but you only get 4, so that it doesn't become too complicated for you (compare this to EQ2, where good players use upwards of 36 abilities in a single battle)... The game tells you where ae's are landing, and the big attacks you need to evade are incredibly slow and obvious (which I don't fault the game for, but it is still the very definition of hand holding). The in-game help system also describes the game in full, in case you're confused about something.

As for crafting: the recipes you are given by default tell you the ingredients of the recipes you need to "discover." For the very very few discovered recipes that aren't obvious, the game tells you how many items you need, and which items are wrong/right, so you never actually waste any materials. No outside research or experimentation is needed.

These characteristics aren't all bad or anything, I've just always hated when people use the "holds your hand" argument to attack another game; it is beyond asinine... especially in a situation where the game you're attacking does so even less than the game you're comparing it to. Guild Wars 2 is the most casual friendly, hand holding experience on the market, and I absolutely believe they intended it to be so.

No, if you only do the content displayed on the map and fail to explore then you're at fault for not exploring and finding all that there is to offer. It's not that difficult to figure out. The map gives you the basic map completion objectives. That's to help those that are used to things like quest-helper holding their hands through WoW, for example, leading them to the exact spot of each and every quest item or objective. But that doesn't mean there isn't a ton of content that isn't marked waiting for the exploring types to go find.

Combat hardly "holds your hand". I'll use my mesmer as an example, since I'm most familiar with it. You get (with one of your two slotted weapons) ten skills on the bar at a time, and if you think there are two that you rarely use... you're doing it wrong. Once you understand the combat and how each and every skill on your bar provides you with varous tools to do various jobs... plus often many of the skills have secondary or even tertiary affects for you to trigger. In addition I have my four shatters, each with unique, situational benefits, as well as a second weapon set with five plus additional skills. (Example of secondary: Scepter block skill, if you hit it again before it's done channeling you launch a ranged blind effect. Useful to support an ally even if you're not directly blocking an attack against yourself.)

Oderint, dum metuant.

This discussion has been closed.