Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This is me at 16. Here I am at 56. I look the same... I've looked the same.

124»

Comments

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by Eir_S
    Originally posted by Angier2758

Mods his gear to the original look to bash game......

*rolls eyes*

I have a caster and there are plenty of low level sets...

Hoelbrek(sp?) and cabalist look amazing... 

Well I'm glad he said something, because this thread is helping to dispell a myth that even I thought was true.

I don't know how to mod... If I ss shot my  my character screen, would that show you?

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759

Am I the only one here who is aware there are various alternative sets you unlock as you progress through the levels?

You have a pretty standard set that stays about the same as you progress and upgrade to match your level. For example the basic crafted stuff that you discover with normal crafting mats, no rare mats, pruchased recipes, etc.

Then youve got the "karma" sets which you can both purchase some pieces directly off of heart NPCs for Karma, or buy the recipe for it and craft your own.

Certain types that only come as drops, not crafted or bought, also look different.

As an example. On my Ranger I have my crafted armor set that looks pretty much the same as all the other sets i crafted every 5 levels below it. But then I also have for him a complete Pirate set I bought on the TP.

If you keep using the same type of gear, such as crafting it every 5 levels, yeah its not going to change much. But there are a variety of sets out there, you just have to earnt hem in different ways. 

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,048

imageOMG you mean the story pieces have different looks ? I have been just breaking them down to components....I feel like kicking myself right now.....   image

I cannot believe how stupid I have been I am about level 20 or so in the story line but 30 + in level since I am levelling 4 characters please tell the better looking ones are later.

Chamber of Chains
  • strangepowersstrangepowers Member UncommonPosts: 630

I've had a lot of different looking gear so far... in fact I'v used my fair share of transmutation stones to keep older looks.

Just because it's not spoon-fed to you doesn't mean it's not there.

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,875
    I have not ever used the stone actually how does it work ? You click on the item whose look you like and then ? 

• TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155
    Originally posted by Raekon
    Originally posted by TwoThreeFour
    The question comes down to: should MMORPGs be allowed to re-use nearly identical clothing for different armor sets? I would prefer not on the principle of not wanting the content to be re-used in that manner; however,  I don't really give a damn about how my characters look inside the game so I don't pay attention to how much other AAA MMORPGs reuse their armor, could anyone else shred light on that particular aspect?

In GW2 additional to some other mmos you can also mix up pieces to gain a unique look you like even with gear that its of a higher level than your character by transmuting the skin of that armor to your actual one.

As example:

- I had a mixture of 3 sets, since I have all the rewards from GW1, I went into my hall of monuments, took the heritage skins and applied them to my whole armor.

Out of the 3 different types of masks and gloves I kept the heritage set the way it was (love the mask of it anyway).

Later one while in WvsWvsW, a yellow rampagers item with higher stats then my armor dropped for me (pants).

So I checked out its looks and saw that it fits well with my heritage look and makes me look even more unique so I merged both by keeping the look and stats but taking over the sigil I had in my previous armor.

So I currently wear a heritage mask, top, gloves, boots and the rampager pants.

If I wanted I could go like Acolytes mask, invaders top, heritage gloves, rampagers pants and cabalists boots.

No restrictions there!

So one has the following options:

- mix it up whichever way they want and make out of all these outfits a new one they prefer to have.

- transmute the looks of a certain piece into a other one

- keeping the set as it is

Additional to that one can dye all parts to the colors they want

Due to all this and the good amount of sets available one can indeed look unique and different.

I thank you for your reply, but none of it has to do with my post. I am not talking about what options there are, I am talking about whether or not MMORPGs should be allowed to re-use models for different armor sets to the extent that they look very identitical. 

• khamul787khamul787 Member UncommonPosts: 193
    Originally posted by kitarad
    I have not ever used the stone actually how does it work ? You click on the item whose look you like and then ? 

It's pretty straightforward, but seems complicated when explained.

First, you double click the T-stone. A new window will come up with two boxes in it, one on each side. You then drag the two items you are transmuting together into each box. From there, you select the skin (by highlighting the name of the one with the skin you want), the stats (highlight the stats), and the upgrade slot. Then click Transmute, and you're done. That simple.

• RokurgeptaRokurgepta Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,136
    Originally posted by Yamota
    Op you need to use the cash shop. That is how the game is designed, to make you pay for things that are normally in the game if it was a sub. based game.

Absolutely not true. Gear looks different without spending any money in the cash shop. Any claims otherwise, such as yours, are false.

• JoeyMMOJoeyMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,326

While the pics aren't working, I have to concur that the eshtetic variety of armors below level 50 was extremely limited. It felt like there was only like 3 types of skirt al to ay to level 70. While it made maintaining the same look easy enough, it is somewhat lacking. There are no doubt lots of different sets at 80, but at lower levels it's poor pickings.

Still I doubt that I'll see much of the new armors if they do create them later on.

imageimage
  • PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048
    Wish I took pictures of my mesmer. It was basicallty the same thing, except each new outfit peeled of another layer after layer while keeping the rest. Bits and pieces would go missing and eventually it was just scraps of the old clothing barely covering her boobs and nothing else.
  • KaocanKaocan Member UncommonPosts: 1,270

There had to be 20+ different looks I had on my way up to 80.

I'll be the first to say I spent money on the cash shop for my cooks outfit with my ringmasters hat, oh and a healthy sized stack of basic transmutation stones. Hey, I played CoH from BETA and am an altoholic so you KNOW I have to get the fashion right. All that being said though, GW2 does have one skin problem when it comes to sets, and thats in the crafted gear. There is very, VERY little difference in the crafted sets over the span of 1-80, and something they depserately need to fix. Crafters, which I am one as well, usually craft for uniqueness of what they make. Havign it all look the same level 1-40, well........leave much to be desired.

(DISCLAIMER - The use of the word YOU in the above post is not directed at any one person in particular, but towards those who fall into the category itself - there is no personal attack here, neither intentional nor implied.)

• ClocksimusClocksimus Member Posts: 354
    Originally posted by timeraider

1-79, no look progession... lvl 80 OMG BADASS SKINS! :D

or do pvp.. pvp is about cosmetics..

I dont mind pve having less cosmetic changes till lvl 80, pve is not meant for showing off cosmetics at lower level anyway. Only pvp is made for that.

So it's WoW without the stats? WotLK you had the same armor with different colours for the most part of your entire stay in the frozen wastelands, that turned out to not be that frozen. Then Raiding gear has their own unique look.  Since GW2 has no raiding they just divided it among other non-endgame content. (endgame begins at level 1 right?)

I still don't get GW2.

Stats don't matter.... but they do.

Skins but only at endgame that is but isn't starting at level 1 but 80 kinda thing, whatever.

You have Open PvP in WvWvW... if you can have the time to sit in Queue for an hour. (Ok this one maybe not so much an issue anymore as the population decli...... "stabilizes".)

You can social all you want but we make it so you don't have to.

DE are so varied! But never move and often repeat.

I think GW2 doesn't even know what GW2 is trying to be.

On a positive note, some of the armor skins do look rather cool. Others like the unicorn bow could have been left out of the game and not missed.

• MosesZDMosesZD Member UncommonPosts: 1,361
    Originally posted by tabindex
    Aerowen, that's fine and dandy that all of your level 15's look fancy.  The thread is about the fact that there's little to no change all the way to 80.  No offense (really, I don't mean any offense by this next statement), but my underfstanding is that you have eight characters that are all like level 10 or 20.  Thus, you haven't a good understanding on this issue.

Which is not true.   SImply not true.   Some things are the same and if you put in ZERO effort, they're going to stay the same.   Which is what is clearly going on with the poster.   If he's not just out-right trolling.

My 31 Mesmer has a vastly different outfit than he had at any time prior.   And it's not one of the 'craft' skin recycles.   My 42 Elementalis looks much different as well.   And I can't wait until I can skin her in the Vigil outfit (except the hat which is ugly).   

The elementalist I deleted, at Level 21 (Kessex Hills):   http://www.flickr.com/photos/86072414@N06/8024845725/in/photostream

The current elementalist at 42:  http://www.flickr.com/photos/86072414@N06/8024860398/in/photostream

The Mesmer at 31:  http://www.flickr.com/photos/86072414@N06/8024860578/in/photostream

The only cross-over is the jacket between the Elementalist and the Mesmer.  And that is bcause I just changed tops away from the one with a skull on it because I couldn't transmute the old top.   There was some sort of lock or something.  I couldn't salvage it, and I couldn't transmute it.

Thee characters, all light armor.  All different.   And I've had multiple other outfits.   I just don't have screens for them because I'd never thought that in a game with so many different outfits, this subject would come up...

And I have had some even more exotic skins...  But I didn't like them, so I transmuted them into something plainer.   Because I generally prefer plain to guady in clothing.

For the record, there are NINE STYLES of EACH armor type in crafting.   There are three (for each type) of Order (Priory, Vigil, Whispers) armor sets.    There are 15 of each type (light, medium, heavy) racial sets.   There are at least 8 dungeon sets type.   There are at least three Karma sets for each type.  Plus there are at least three 'drop' sets (which may also be the same as the karma sets, I'm not enitire sure because the writing wasn't clear).

There are, in total, for light armor (the least populated) 41 (or 44) different armor sets in light armor.   There are is at least 42 for medium and 42 for heavy.

And yet, here we are...     Someone fails at the game, posts about it, gets called on it...   And you white knight him?    Are you kidding me?

• XPraetorianXXPraetorianX Member CommonPosts: 107
    I have been a fan of the game. I have never posted a negative post about GW2. That said its a bore to log into now. Not mad though it was worth the money. Borderlands two is what I have been playing and OMG I got the game for free with the 680 I bought my cousin for his Birthday lol I made sure to snag the game code from EVGAs website once I did the order. I have since purchased another copy for my son so we can play together. I know its not an MMO at all but I recomend.
  • MosesZDMosesZD Member UncommonPosts: 1,361
    Originally posted by JoeyMMO

While the pics aren't working, I have to concur that the eshtetic variety of armors below level 50 was extremely limited. It felt like there was only like 3 types of skirt al to ay to level 70. While it made maintaining the same look easy enough, it is somewhat lacking. There are no doubt lots of different sets at 80, but at lower levels it's poor pickings.

Still I doubt that I'll see much of the new armors if they do create them later on.

Then you failed too.   Because I'm showing three different bottoms of light armor in my previous post and there are four more by 42 where my new elementalist is...

The mesmer is in shadow armor (except the top).:    http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/File:Shadow_Armor_Female_Human_Front.jpg

The old elementalist is in Embroidered armor.  http://wiki.guildwars2.com/images/b/be/Embroidered_Amor.jpg

Here's country armor, I've that too:  http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/File:FemaleHumanCountryArmor.jpg

The current elementalist is in a mixed set and I don't rememer the exact matching.  This upgraded from her level 35 Masqurade set which looked like this:  http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/File:Masquerade_Armor_Female_Human.png

And that small sample of the 40+ sets isn't good enough for you, here is 39 minutes of armor sets on YouTube:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEJDW8KjVos

Now, you gonna keep up with the fiction that 'all looks the same?'

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159
    Originally posted by Aerowyn

All under level 15 in these shots.. some gear early on is generic and some looks amazing.. you can usually tell by the icon what type it is. Overall Can't think of an MMO I have looked this good at this low of a level.

[pics snipped]

Not coincidentally, that's the exact same armor my characters are wearing.  At lv.15, and at lv.45.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by Vhaln

All under level 15 in these shots.. some gear early on is generic and some looks amazing.. you can usually tell by the icon what type it is. Overall Can't think of an MMO I have looked this good at this low of a level.

[pics snipped]

Not coincidentally, that's the exact same armor my characters are wearing.  At lv.15, and at lv.45.

that's your choice though you have many other options

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159
    Originally posted by Vhaln

[pics snipped]

that's your choice though you have many other options

A few.  By level 15, there were 3 types of random drop, 1 crafted, and 1 karma - that I know about.  That's a lot, by 15.  Problem is, by 45, it feels like the same five choices.  Might be a little different, though.  I think a big part of the problem is that the artists made a bunch of different armors that look extremely similar.  Like all the different variations of long coat in medium armor.  Technically, the variety is there, but it might not feel like it.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• ictownictown Member Posts: 123

Everytime I see your post bcbully, I always see a negative thread/faults about gw2. Honestly if that's all you do, quit the game and go back playing tsw or whatever. 

Other than that, here's my level 23 necromancer.  i've used karma points from karma vendors to attain the armor in snowden drifts. I'm going to use transmutation stones up till level 80. I am missing the following shoulder and glove set and eventually I will finish the armor set. 

Colors I've used - Pastel Yellow, Evergreen, Hot Pink

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381
    Originally posted by bcbully

Level 16 me. 

This is me at 56

Why does 90% of the gear look the same. Do you think this is ok? 

Nope, no need for that. You can look very different. Just you need real MONEY for that in Gw2. But of course I have no problem with that, money MUST come from somewhere and usually paying for game client is not enough. For the rest, game is great.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by daltanious

Level 16 me.      This is me at 56     Why does 90% of the gear look the same. Do you think this is ok? 

Nope, no need for that. You can look very different. Just you need real MONEY for that in Gw2. But of course I have no problem with that, money MUST come from somewhere and usually paying for game client is not enough. For the rest, game is great.

like said in this thread already that is a complete lie.

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381

Level 16 me. 

This is me at 56

Why does 90% of the gear look the same. Do you think this is ok? 

like said in this thread already that is a complete lie.

This is friends experience, he is 65 guardian, and this is my experience with 8 alts, but true up to 14. So can not speak for later, but nearly after any new equipment change I wowed .. wow, have I changed pants? Yes, according to stats, yes. According to look, no.

On the other hand I have been looking into shoop ... wow, amazing things there. Just to expensive for what they are and for 1 alt. I have 8. So far have spent only 30€ for 3 more alt slots. But I'm pretty sure I will buy something for my preferred alt.

• TheIronLegionTheIronLegion Member Posts: 269
    Originally posted by Eir_S
    Pics aren't working for me... but I do agree that there aren't enough different styles of armor outside of dungeons and racial sets.  I figure they'll work on that.

All the really cool looking armor comes from Dungeons, Karma vendors(have to hunt  them down), Exotics, PvP armor, racial, and crafted sets.

Also certain rare drops have awesome skins. I got a gold today that looked SICK!

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,455

Lies and misinformation. Obviously completely wrong.

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !