Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ultima Online: 15th Anniversary Detailed

SBFordSBFord Associate Editor - News ManagerThe Land of AZPosts: 17,625MMORPG.COM Staff Uncommon

It's hard to believe but it's been fifteen years since Ultima Online launched. To celebrate this momentous event, developers are kicking off a new seven month story arc that will result in a new king being crowned in an in-game event.

With 15 years under its belt, Ultima Online is a sandbox RPG that has truly evolved into a creature of its own. Players have 58 skills they can build in any way they want to become whatever kind of character they want, such as a warrior, mage, miner, lumberjack, among others. The player choice within the game is endless - players can engage in Player vs. Player combat, fight against the game’s many types of monsters or even just sit at a bank and talk to people.  The only element that holds players back is their own creativity and imagination. 

Read more on the Ultima Online site.

Associate Editor:
Follow me on Twitter: @MMORPGMom

• rmk70rmk70 Toronto, ONPosts: 393Member Uncommon
    Gahd, I miss this game...
  • Ice-QueenIce-Queen USA, GAPosts: 2,451Member Uncommon
    Was my first mmo, and I still have my account active even though I don't play. I can't give up my stuff and my keep, lol. There was so much to do in UO, and it's in my top 3 of fav mmo's. So wish they'd made a new UO with all the features it has just updated to todays standards. I was there from day 1 and I had a blast as a Counseler for the game.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    Dark Age of Camelot

• NadiaNadia Canonsburg, PAPosts: 11,866Member Uncommon
  • mcrippinsmcrippins Dallas, TXPosts: 1,087Member Uncommon

happy 15th my most favorite game of all time.. you changed over the years, but I still miss you and love you. So many memories we had together, and i'm sad that we can no longer create those memories. Maybe one day there will be a newer, and better you. Or perhaps just a you with better 'graphics'.

• obiiobii WienPosts: 781Member Uncommon

The only element that holds players back is their own creativity and imagination.

I disagree. The only reason that UO still lives is that players are creative and imaginative in a hardly supported game.

• VikingGamerVikingGamer Nowhere, TXPosts: 1,348Member Uncommon

Wow, I haven't touched this game since that first year. The PKing was overboard. I remember a character named Bart Simpson waiting outside one of the towns, along the road hiding in the trees like a bandit. He and a buddy would kill everyone who left town for their starter cash. It went on until there were so many people standing around in the town that a riot broke out. A huge mob of noobs, myself included, rushed Bart and his accomplice and killed them buy shear numbers. It was crazy. Never got far in the game and moved to EQ when I got into the 3rd beta but it was fun for the time.

I think I will go check it out.

All die, so die well.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Stone Mountain, GAPosts: 14,247Member Rare
    Massive fan of the game. Past few years I've gone back for a couple months at a time but account management has become so convoluted that it's too much of a hassle to sub and unsub. 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• YaevinduskYaevindusk Ul''dah, CAPosts: 1,613Member Uncommon

Happy birthday UO.

15 years later and no game has even come close to the amount of things you allowed in your game way back.

People with agendas on the internet are adorable.  Hatred spews ignorance.  Bias reveals stances.  Temperance begets balance.  Be the critic of your favored piece for its improvement and adhere to the pragmatic logic that there is no expertise in opinions.  Comment not on what you dislike, for you aren't the audience nor expert on such and are only the opposition of reason with your rhetoric.

• sevitothsevitoth San Diego, CAPosts: 367Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by obii

The only element that holds players back is their own creativity and imagination.

I disagree. The only reason that UO still lives is that players are creative and imaginative in a hardly supported game.

Hardly suppported? They are still releasing expansions for UO, and they are doing this 15 year anniversary event. How is that hardly supported?

Currently Playing: Nothing worth playing

Previously Played: UO, DAOC, Shadowbane, AC2, SWG, Horizons, COX, WOW, EQ2, LOTRO, AOC, WAR, Vanguard, Rift, SWTOR, ESO, GW2.

• ZaraathZaraath Clovis, CAPosts: 17Member
    My all time favorite game.  First MMO for me.  Enjoyed being a counselor.  I will always have fond memories of this game, and damn wish I didn't let me keep and towers decay.  /cry