Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The grind in this game is ridiculous...

13»

Comments

• wowfan1996wowfan1996 Member UncommonPosts: 719
    Originally posted by Raekon

Here we go again with another thread of "I wan't to have better stats then others if I grind for something or there shouldn't be any grind at all".

Err. Did you read the OP at all? He didn't complain about stats, he complained about prices and rightfully so. The prices are insane.

MMORPG genre is dead. Long live MMOCS (Massively Multiplayer Online Cash Shop).

• RaekonRaekon Member UncommonPosts: 531
    Originally posted by wowfan1996

Here we go again with another thread of "I wan't to have better stats then others if I grind for something or there shouldn't be any grind at all".

Err. Did you read the OP at all? He didn't complain about stats, he complained about prices and rightfully so. The prices are insane.

I read his replies in which he said that he loves grinding in other games because of the stats and that's something GW2 doesn't offer.

Check them out and you will see what I mean.

• BlessingsBlessings Member Posts: 66

Is this seriously a discussion? People level capped in 36 hours, I didn't play that hardcore and level capped in four days. This game was stated to be all about the end level pvp, but they still tossed in pve for everyone to mix it up a little.

People want their shiny's, and they want it now, then what do you do with them?

This is why the MMO community has started to fall lately, chewing through games and spitting them out, saying they suck even though they delivered what you wanted. People whine about not being able to get a group, but you don't see them getting out theree and actually LOOKING for people farther than five to six words in main town chat for a few minutes. People say theres no content when they blast through it in a week, but if it takes longer than a week, its too hard, or its too grindy. Wake up people.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by The_Korrigan
    Originally posted by Loke666 

The reason for that is really that other games lock up their high end dungeons for a certain time after you played through them.

But yes, GW2 is not that grindy, it is one of the least grindiest MMOs around. There still is a grind though.

There's also my second point, play styles. In most other games, and notably in all WoW clones, you are forced to raid if you want the best, or to spend weeks if not months grinding PvP BGs at max level until you are competitive and no longer canon fodder.

In GW2, the soloer, the crafter, the dungeoner, the PvPer all have access to the best of the best by playing the game how they enjoy it, without being forced into any of the play styles.

A grind in GW2? If there's a grind in GW2, we must find a different name for the equivalent in the other games... slavery maybe?

A grind is a grind, even though there are layers in hell as well. But GW2s grind is relatively voluntary, MMOs need some kind of grind to keep players occupied.

Did I say I really want Twilight and will grind it with no complains? *Drool*

Still, I do wonder what people complaining about when we talk the time it takes to get top gear here, or as other game say "endgame gear".

Any Wow players who can tell us how long time it took them to get the highest tier of gear in Wow (before MOPsince after is an unknown factor)?

I think if we compare the difference is rather big. The cool thing with GW2 is that the involuntary grind is very short, then you can decide to get all dungeon gear sets and a legendary weapon or 2 but that is your decision. In Wow you need the best raid gear or close to it to be able to play all content well, otherwise some will be impossible or close to impossible.

• wowfan1996wowfan1996 Member UncommonPosts: 719

I read his replies in which he said that he loves grinding in other games because of the stats and that's something GW2 doesn't offer.

I never liked gear treadmills but when I played WoW or Rift I knew what I was grinding for. In GW - not so much. ANet promised fun but forced grind can NEVER be fun. In WoW or Rift you accept raids as necessary evil and you tell yourself that at least you'll get your new tier in the end.

But in GW2 engame is just one big gold sink that exists with only one purpose: to force players to buy gems->gold for real money. Travel costs are insane and they discourage you from travelling. Diminishing returns are a sick joke and they discourage you from staying in the same zone. Repair costs are insane and discourage you from exploring higl level zones. LFG tool is just a placeholder and there's no summon so even getting into a dungeon is inconvenient at best (and making your way through it is just another headache).

Face it: the best, the easiest and the most convenient way to play GW2 is standing in front of TP and reselling rares for 100-200% profit.

Playing TP in 3 days I make as much gold as in a month of honest leveling, exploring and grinding. This is my story.

MMORPG genre is dead. Long live MMOCS (Massively Multiplayer Online Cash Shop).

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459
    Originally posted by Loke666

A grind is a grind, even though there are layers in hell as well. But GW2s grind is relatively voluntary, MMOs need some kind of grind to keep players occupied.

Did I say I really want Twilight and will grind it with no complains? *Drool*

Still, I do wonder what people complaining about when we talk the time it takes to get top gear here, or as other game say "endgame gear".

Any Wow players who can tell us how long time it took them to get the highest tier of gear in Wow (before MOPsince after is an unknown factor)?

I think if we compare the difference is rather big. The cool thing with GW2 is that the involuntary grind is very short, then you can decide to get all dungeon gear sets and a legendary weapon or 2 but that is your decision. In Wow you need the best raid gear or close to it to be able to play all content well, otherwise some will be impossible or close to impossible.

Come on, you know better... not you! Of course we knew there would be repetitive tasks in GW2, I've even seen people complain that they still had to kill mobs in the game! Oh yeah, a combat MMORPG without killing anything would be so exciting...

The BIG difference is that you don't remain canon fodder forever. In WoW, you remain a "gimp" for weeks if not months depending on your play style and time before you are decently equipped and can finally compete. In GW2, not. Exotic is the best, of course, but even in full rare gear you are not dead meat, neither in PvE, nor in PvP.

Also, don't forget WoW, SW:TOR, LOTRO now too, all have that special "PvP stat" that doubles the grind... so you have to spend weeks if not months raiding before you are lucky and get all your drops, and you also have to spend weeks if not months repeating the same BGs before you are no longer canon fodder. There's none of that in GW2.

So when people complain about a grind in GW2... yes, I'm quite amused. Either they never played any other MMORPG or they just have short memory. I guess it's the "grass is always green" syndrome.

WoW, Rift, EQ, EQ2, LOTRO, SW:TOR = about chasing the eternal carrot you barely ever reach since your efforts are anihilated every new patch, just when you finished the previous grind... and in most, you have to grind twice (PvE and PvP).

AC1,UO, GW2 = takes a short time to get geared up at max level, but you are never canon fodder, and then it's all about PLAYING THE GAME, and not keeping on chasing a carrot which is mandatory to compete within it.

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759

I never liked gear treadmills but when I played WoW or Rift I knew what I was grinding for. In GW - not so much. ANet promised fun but forced grind can NEVER be fun. In WoW or Rift you accept raids as necessary evil and you tell yourself that at least you'll get your new tier in the end.

But in GW2 engame is just one big gold sink that exists with only one purpose: to force players to buy gems->gold for real money. Travel costs are insane and they discourage you from travelling. Diminishing returns are a sick joke and they discourage you from staying in the same zone. Repair costs are insane and discourage you from exploring higl level zones. LFG tool is just a placeholder and there's no summon so even getting into a dungeon is inconvenient at best (and making your way through it is just another headache).

Face it: the best, the easiest and the most convenient way to play GW2 is standing in front of TP and reselling rares for 100-200% profit.

Playing TP in 3 days I make as much gold as in a month of honest leveling, exploring and grinding. This is my story.

"Forced" grind - "Optional" cosmetic gear.... am i the only one who sees the stupidiity in these arguments?

I find it knd of funny that in 1 line you say everything is a gold sink that forces you to buy gems and exchange for gold, then in another line youre talking abou tmaking a bunch of money on the TP.

Sooo... youre using the TP to make money, which is kind of the point of a TP / AH. Have you bought gems to exchange for gold? I wonder. I mean, you say theyre forcing you to do it, but if you havent bought any yourself since youre making the money off the TP how could you even make such a ridiculous claim when its not even true for yourself?

Youre whining about 1 thing, when there is clearly an alternative. Most people, including myself, have been doing just fine with money without having to buy gems for it. Only time I exchanged gems for gold was because I had 200 gems left after getting some other stuff I wanted, and there was nothing else I wanted for that 200, so just traded it for a few gold. I made a lot more gold than that in a day or 2 off of leveling while doing DEs, story, map unlocks, etc and selling some low level crafting mats I dont need.

@OP 30g for chest piece, and DEs giving 3+ silver each. So 100 DEs for the chest. Thats like, a few days for most consistent players. And thats purely grinding DEs. If you had any common sense you would know youre not getting JUST 3s. Between the gear thats dropping off mobs + crafting mats and/or the bags that give crafting mats, etc youre making well over 3s per DE. If its really thtat much work to do the DEs, sell some of those crafting mats youre picking up, sell or salvage your weapon/armor drops, and if you salvage sell those mats too, hit up some gathering nodes along the way while doing DEs and sell those mats, etc. Again, whining about 1 thing when there are alternatives. Dont act like the only way to possibly make money is the DE reward itself.

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    My warrior is 80 and has a full set of Knights and Rampager exotic armor, jewelry/accessories, with 3 exotic weapons. I found skins I liked from various different armors and weapons from early on. I don't feel the grind at all and I'm quite happy about that. I don't feel the need for dungeon armor, myself. I've made gold really easily as well.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363

If you played to level cap in three day, then you did nothing else. The trick is with exploring, like in most things, being cautious and understanding your surrounding is important. If you are just running around, like in Rift - which always pissed me off - so called 'explorers aggroing everything, that is why I am happy there is no mounts in this game.

Who cares about LFG tools - that is a crutch.

The game is still new - not even a month old - let the economy mature.

• HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415

Guess what?

You obviously never bothered to check ALL types of sets and their looks.

There are even some great skins that are coming along in the lower levels you can just use a transmutation stone and merge their look with your actuall stats in your current gear.

Tadaaa! No grind at all!

If you wanna go for exotic you can craft OR do WvsWvsW OR do dungeons to get them.

Plenty of ways to aquire it and no, they didn't "nerfed" you so you "can't" do the dungeons like other mmos let you do a dungeon once a day ONLY.

They are giving you rewards and xp as long as you SWITCH between dungeons instead of spamming the same one like 90 times per day.

If you do it once and move to do other paths you will get your rewards the way you were supposed to as long as you take 30 minutes for completion or more.

If you take less time twice and on the same path aswell, then the drops will be less and the final reward less to none.

Check also the patch notes of today before you complain further.

Now you will get 60 tokens as bonus for the first time you do a dungeon in a day additionaly to the final reward ones.

Do you actually understand how the progression of time in real life works?  You're coming on here shooting off at the mouth telling me to check patch notes that DIDNT EXIST as of my original AND my last post...

I swear people never cease to amaze me...

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

• eggy08eggy08 Member Posts: 525
    Originally posted by Hrimnir

Guess what?

You obviously never bothered to check ALL types of sets and their looks.

There are even some great skins that are coming along in the lower levels you can just use a transmutation stone and merge their look with your actuall stats in your current gear.

Tadaaa! No grind at all!

If you wanna go for exotic you can craft OR do WvsWvsW OR do dungeons to get them.

Plenty of ways to aquire it and no, they didn't "nerfed" you so you "can't" do the dungeons like other mmos let you do a dungeon once a day ONLY.

They are giving you rewards and xp as long as you SWITCH between dungeons instead of spamming the same one like 90 times per day.

If you do it once and move to do other paths you will get your rewards the way you were supposed to as long as you take 30 minutes for completion or more.

If you take less time twice and on the same path aswell, then the drops will be less and the final reward less to none.

Check also the patch notes of today before you complain further.

Now you will get 60 tokens as bonus for the first time you do a dungeon in a day additionaly to the final reward ones.

Do you actually understand how the progression of time in real life works?  You're coming on here shooting off at the mouth telling me to check patch notes that DIDNT EXIST as of my original AND my last post...

I swear people never cease to amaze me...

I mean there is always the edit key thou. Just saying >.>. I'd say he was going for captain hindsight post award there.

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991
    Originally posted by remyburke
    Says the guy with the EQ1 Human Cleric avatar...where it took me 109days (IN GAME) to hit lvl 60 back in 2000. Grind he says! :)

Its actually a paladin ;-), and yeah i had 167 days played on that character.  But, my point was i dont mind grinds if there is a reasonable reward vs time investment.  I just dont feel like thats the case with GW2.

Doh! My EQ-Fu is not strong. I guess my 11 years away have made me rusty :(

Joined - July 2004

• HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415
    Says the guy with the EQ1 Human Cleric avatar...where it took me 109days (IN GAME) to hit lvl 60 back in 2000. Grind he says! :)

Its actually a paladin ;-), and yeah i had 167 days played on that character.  But, my point was i dont mind grinds if there is a reasonable reward vs time investment.  I just dont feel like thats the case with GW2.

Doh! My EQ-Fu is not strong. I guess my 11 years away have made me rusty :(

Its all good brother, i actually took that pic the day that Velious released and me and my buddies spent hours getting to Thurgadin.  I remember i had that book in my bank so i asked my enchanter friend if i could borrow his stein of mogguk cus i thought it looked like i was reading a book and drinking a frothy brew ;-).

God, i miss it so bad some times. SO BAD.

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

• loulakiloulaki Member UncommonPosts: 944
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    so I'm confused.. people complain there is nothing in this game to "shoot for" yet there is a massive grind for dungeon/cultural gear and legendary weapons which has been known for awhile and should of been expected especially for anyone who played GW1. Yet this very "optional" cosmetic grind(as you easily can get stat equivalent items much faster) gives you no power advantage other than looking badass and allows you to show how much effort you put into aquiring the items(something many have asked for).. what again is the issue?

check the topics from this OP, for one month he is hating Gw2 but still playes it, i hope Rift's devs are paying him for all his trial xD