Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

See-ya trinity....see-ya grouping...

Comments

• eggy08eggy08 Member Posts: 525
    Originally posted by Rokurgepta
    Originally posted by Kost
    Originally posted by Lathial
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    Originally posted by Clocksimus
    Originally posted by Thorbrand
    You can enjoy the game solo but your topic is off. I think GW2 proved that there needs to be a trinity and there needs to be grouping. There is no socialization to the game outside Hi Thank you and have a good day. I hate playing solo even if I can play solo and given this game is all about soloing most people don't want to group and a lot of players are not doing dungeons becuase they find it to hard without roles in the party.

that's WAY more than I get in most themeparks these days.. at least GW2 has a system to bring people together and actually want to fight along side eachother in every quest. Lack of communication is soley on the person behind the keyboard.. sure you could make a game with tons of group only content but as long as there's a route you can take without much interaction a good number of people will go that route.. just how these games are these days

The social in older MMO's  were often bad.

The social in GW2 is a different kind of bad.

Bad is still bad. GW2 community  imo is actually worse than any MMO out currently but the difference is, no one talks in GW2 so it defaults to the illusion of a nice community. In reality it should default to it has none. Lack of social doesn't make social better or good.

i'd rather actually play along side other people in an online game whether they talk or not.. at least in GW2 i play alongside others almost the entire time unlike most other recent MMOs

You are entitled to your opinion! 

However, I would rather play "with" people than "alongside" them.  Seems to me just knowing other people are playing the game does not make me feel like im playing with other people.  

Lath

And nothing is stopping you from achieving that, other than your own decisions.

If you honestly think people are falling for this pile of bullshit, get real. Grouping and socialization in this game is fucking key, unless you want to sit on the sidelines as an off-brand scrub and hope one day someone notices you.

Are you saying GW2 allows grouping? From some of these posts I assumed that GW2 had a no group and no party policy that prevented people from playing together. I also assumed there was no in game chat since posts here seem to allude to there being no in game conversation. What about guilds? Are you going to say there are guilds where people can get together with many like minded gamers?

Ya but you can be in so many guilds, so guilds don't actually exist.

Honestly I grouped for the first time a few days ago just to see if people would actually join or sit in their corners instead and go "no.. I play alone." Turns out everyone in the area joined my group to help kill a champion and 2 elites. We could of not said a word, sat next to the mob until enough showed up. Instead I actually went around, using /say (shot myself in the foot later because I didn't know that was possible) and got it together in a few minutes. Killed the mobs and walked away, same as every other MMO I played, so you can do this.

Then yesterday I was chilling in a cave and breezing along when I got a group invite. Turned out it was a group of 3 who just wanted to help each other out and go do stuff. Killed a champion spider. Had a nice chat about how one of the girls hated bugs. Helped one with their personal story for no purpose to myself and went seperate ways.

So honestly, I think it's the complainers fault straight up, because I was the same way where I loathed groups and just wanted to level my char. But if you put in even a tiny bit of effort, you can have the same experience as any other game. Enjoy.

• RokurgeptaRokurgepta Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,136
    You can enjoy the game solo but your topic is off. I think GW2 proved that there needs to be a trinity and there needs to be grouping. There is no socialization to the game outside Hi Thank you and have a good day. I hate playing solo even if I can play solo and given this game is all about soloing most people don't want to group and a lot of players are not doing dungeons becuase they find it to hard without roles in the party.

that's WAY more than I get in most themeparks these days.. at least GW2 has a system to bring people together and actually want to fight along side eachother in every quest. Lack of communication is soley on the person behind the keyboard.. sure you could make a game with tons of group only content but as long as there's a route you can take without much interaction a good number of people will go that route.. just how these games are these days

Bad is still bad. GW2 community  imo is actually worse than any MMO out currently but the difference is, no one talks in GW2 so it defaults to the illusion of a nice community. In reality it should default to it has none. Lack of social doesn't make social better or good.

i'd rather actually play along side other people in an online game whether they talk or not.. at least in GW2 i play alongside others almost the entire time unlike most other recent MMOs

However, I would rather play "with" people than "alongside" them.  Seems to me just knowing other people are playing the game does not make me feel like im playing with other people.  

Lath

If you honestly think people are falling for this pile of bullshit, get real. Grouping and socialization in this game is fucking key, unless you want to sit on the sidelines as an off-brand scrub and hope one day someone notices you.

Wow, take a chill pill buddy!  I didnt mean to poke your sore spot.  Guess talking calmly and rationally about some basic issues, that more than one person is having- is too hard for ya.   I'll just move on and let you vent- and come back later

lath

That poster was not venting any more than you are. Instead of fake leaving why not stay and debate him rationally and calmly like you claimed to be? Many people are having social issues with the game, and that is because many people have social issues in real life.

The common issue in this game seems to be this, if the game does not force socializing many people avoid being social. Blaming the game for a people problem is silly.

• XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,846

I also assumed there was no in game chat since posts here seem to allude to there being no in game conversation. What about guilds? Are you going to say there are guilds where people can get together with many like minded gamers?
    Ive been in several guilds and Ive quit them all because no one ever talked. EVER.

I would try and talk to the guild with a friendly "good morning" or say "welcome back" when people would log on but no one responded and after days or a week of no one in the guild ever talking I would quit and try and find a guild that would actually be social. Alas, to no avail.

This is most definitely a first for me in MMOs and its a first I thought I would never see. Thanks GW2.

Originally posted by Xiaoki

I also assumed there was no in game chat since posts here seem to allude to there being no in game conversation. What about guilds? Are you going to say there are guilds where people can get together with many like minded gamers?

Ive been in several guilds and Ive quit them all because no one ever talked. EVER.

I would try and talk to the guild with a friendly "good morning" or say "welcome back" when people would log on but no one responded and after days or a week of no one in the guild ever talking I would quit and try and find a guild that would actually be social. Alas, to no avail.

This is most definitely a first for me in MMOs and its a first I thought I would never see. Thanks GW2.

Sorry I refuse to blame the GAME for PEOPLE being rude. People are what they are. I have found in the many years of being online that the online world tends to attract the socially awkward to a world where they can act in ways real life does not always allow.

Online games have their share of the social misfits. I have run into them in every game. I dont feel GW2 has more than its share.

• LathialLathial Member UncommonPosts: 166

Lath

Wow, take a chill pill buddy!  I didnt mean to poke your sore spot.  Guess talking calmly and rationally about some basic issues, that more than one person is having- is too hard for ya.   I'll just move on and let you vent- and come back later

lath

That poster was not venting any more than you are. Instead of fake leaving why not stay and debate him rationally and calmly like you claimed to be? Many people are having social issues with the game, and that is because many people have social issues in real life.

The common issue in this game seems to be this, if the game does not force socializing many people avoid being social. Blaming the game for a people problem is silly.

I guess you missed the calm and rational part of the equation.  When people call your opinions BS and use the "F" word it usually means calm and rational are not going to be the way things proceed...  At least thats how it is in my world.  Do you usually debate issues calmly and rationally by calling people’s ideas a pile of bullshit and then using the "F" word?  

will wait calmly and rationally for your response...

Lath

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935

OP -

I agree.  Trinity is there for  a reason.  I'm glad GW2 reminded us why.

• LytheEmberLytheEmber Member UncommonPosts: 43

Man, I come back to these forums just to see if anything has changed and NOPE they have not!  There are still individuals who spew outright fallacies as if they were true.  I prefer to use real, concrete examples as opposed to vague generalizations that could be created without even reading the game's website.  So let me share some with you...

I made myself a guild chat channel in game when I want to talk to my guildies because there are so many people speaking in /map chat that I miss some of what my guildies are saying.  To say that there is very little communication or socializing is incorrect.

As for the trinity, knowing HOW to play your profession is key because not only will you play better for yourself but you WILL impact the play of others.  Some buddies of mine and I (wife included!) have tried the Ascalonian Catacombs story mode twice.  YES, we are taking our time and real life does have a way of eating up free time so AC is new to us. 

The engineer in my group was doing a great job kiting an Ascalonian ghost warrior while we were taking down an elementalist and mesmer.  However, I saw that he became crippled.  I used the third skill on my scepter (GRD profession) and CCed the warrior in place for a few ticks but then our ENGI was hit with some knockdown ability from the mesmer.  I quickly switched to shield and mace and used my 5th ability to knock the warrior away from him once again.  He regained his feet and I was able to turn back to the elementalist and help finish it off.

My point?  It was FUN to be able to think on the fly in real time and not have a predetermined  rotation of skills based on what I was SUPPOSED to be doing in the fight.  I got to do what I WANTED to do which was to protect him and then switch back to melee on a caster...and it WORKED!  As a result I became better at my profession and using my skills.  I was only able to do so because I was SOCIALIZING with others. 

The awesome part was since I learned  HOW to play my profession I was a better TEAM player...and the only one in the group with NO repair bill...never died in the whole run. :)

Anyway, there is socialization in the game if you seek it...I joined a very active guild with people I already knew.

But I must say...you have EIGHT characters already and most are over 40?  So you have two accounts or paid for extra character slots?  You must really like the game...er wait do you hate it?  I mean that's a lot of time and money put into a game that was NEVER going to have a trinity in the first place.  How did you miss that fact?

Perhaps you missed socialization opportunities while speed leveling all those characters.  How do you have the time?

Games are what you make of them, as others have said.  Don't blame the game for what you choose not to do.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by grimal

OP -

yup reminded us why it's not needed to have fun and enjoy multiple ways to play a single class:)

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

Lath

lath

I guess you missed the calm and rational part of the equation.  When people call your opinions BS and use the "F" word it usually means calm and rational are not going to be the way things proceed...  At least thats how it is in my world.  Do you usually debate issues calmly and rationally by calling people’s ideas a pile of bullshit and then using the "F" word?  

Lath

Honestly, I've been down this path before. By the time that someone goes for calm and rational as their basis of their argument and leaves the conversation after that, it shows that they lost and have nothing more to say, besides the points that were already disputed before. They show they are far too stubborn to change their way of thinking and not able to see the other side of the argument.

Lath

lath

Lath

You are right I glossed over his use of those words without even noticing when I responded to you and that was wrong. That said I still think you are wrong about the game being the issue. This is a people issue not a game one. People seem to want a game that forces grouping so they are forced to be social, I prefer to be social and have fun without being forced into it.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

If 99.999% of the content can be zerged or kited I feel comfortable calsifying it as such.  But just to be clear and so you dont get all bunched up down there- I will change my coment to: 99.9999% of the content can be zerged or kited.

Lath

100% false statement fyi:)

In these boards when you post your opinion, you have to use clarifying terms like "feels like most" or "Seems like" or "My experience is" Otherwise you get called out for misinformation.

BTW, what is the correct percentage of content that can be zerged or kited? I'm curious to know.

• fat_taddlerfat_taddler Member Posts: 286

I have to agree with the OP.  This game is no more social than a FPS.  Yea, we're all fighting on the same map but you'd be hard pressed to call it a team or collaborative effort.   

Sure the game is fun for a bit but for many of us, it's the social aspects of MMO's that keep us engaged over the long term. 

While some may not miss the trinity, I also feel that not having it will hurt the game over the long run.  You simply cannot create an immersive PvE experience with the "every man for himself" mentality which seems to be the case in most pugs.  

Sure, you could set up organized guild runs but I'm finding that a lot of people I play with do the dungeons once and don't touch them again due to them being more annoying than fun and not providing much in terms of rewards. 

At the end of the day, GW2 is pretty much exactly what many predicted, a decent game to play for a month or two that you can come back to anytime... nothing really wrong with that I guess.

OP -

Trinity is there for one main reason. So crap players can roll healers after failing as DPS and Tanks and still get raid groups.

Personally I roll healers first so I dont have to fail at DPS and Tanking I just go straight to healer and hide my crap play behind my clerics symbol.

Originally posted by Xiaoki

All of them were that way?  Wow, what terrible miserable luck you must have.  Does anyone you already know play the game?  Join a guild with them!  My guild (Heroes of Fate: Sorrow's Furnace) talks ALL the time and usually not about the game but life in general with a smattering of crafting tips, grouping up to do dungeons/WvW and offering items to other guildies for free.

Give it another shot, maybe join one of the guilds that is recruiting?

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

OP -

Trinity is there for one main reason. So crap players can roll healers after failing as DPS and Tanks and still get raid groups.

Personally I roll healers first so I dont have to fail at DPS and Tanking I just go straight to healer and hide my crap play behind my clerics symbol.

Am I the only one who sees Irony in this post?

• ZezdaZezda Member UncommonPosts: 686

GW2 tried to get rid of the trinity...unfortunately what they got rid of was grouping. My first character I tried to make a support role and none of them are set up to be support.  Just plain DPS and your own heal works better in world and dungeons.

I don't think you've played many explorable dungeons in GW2 is you believe just DPS'ing is what you need to do.

• LathialLathial Member UncommonPosts: 166
    Originally posted by LytheEmber

Man, I come back to these forums just to see if anything has changed and NOPE they have not!  There are still individuals who spew outright fallacies as if they were true.  I prefer to use real, concrete examples as opposed to vague generalizations that could be created without even reading the game's website.  So let me share some with you...

I made myself a guild chat channel in game when I want to talk to my guildies because there are so many people speaking in /map chat that I miss some of what my guildies are saying.  To say that there is very little communication or socializing is incorrect.

As for the trinity, knowing HOW to play your profession is key because not only will you play better for yourself but you WILL impact the play of others.  Some buddies of mine and I (wife included!) have tried the Ascalonian Catacombs story mode twice.  YES, we are taking our time and real life does have a way of eating up free time so AC is new to us. 

The engineer in my group was doing a great job kiting an Ascalonian ghost warrior while we were taking down an elementalist and mesmer.  However, I saw that he became crippled.  I used the third skill on my scepter (GRD profession) and CCed the warrior in place for a few ticks but then our ENGI was hit with some knockdown ability from the mesmer.  I quickly switched to shield and mace and used my 5th ability to knock the warrior away from him once again.  He regained his feet and I was able to turn back to the elementalist and help finish it off.

My point?  It was FUN to be able to think on the fly in real time and not have a predetermined  rotation of skills based on what I was SUPPOSED to be doing in the fight.  I got to do what I WANTED to do which was to protect him and then switch back to melee on a caster...and it WORKED!  As a result I became better at my profession and using my skills.  I was only able to do so because I was SOCIALIZING with others. 

The awesome part was since I learned  HOW to play my profession I was a better TEAM player...and the only one in the group with NO repair bill...never died in the whole run. :)

Anyway, there is socialization in the game if you seek it...I joined a very active guild with people I already knew.

But I must say...you have EIGHT characters already and most are over 40?  So you have two accounts or paid for extra character slots?  You must really like the game...er wait do you hate it?  I mean that's a lot of time and money put into a game that was NEVER going to have a trinity in the first place.  How did you miss that fact?

Perhaps you missed socialization opportunities while speed leveling all those characters.  How do you have the time?

Games are what you make of them, as others have said.  Don't blame the game for what you choose not to do.

I bolded the important part of your post because it is the basis of all your arguments.  You joined a guild of active people you already knew.... So, you didnt have to actually do anything to meet people in the game.  You already had a group of friends to "group" and "guild" with.   My friends are not playing this game- shoot!  I guess im anti-social.

Also, yes i purchased the other character slots, I like the game and if you would look at my other posts you will see, I have always said- I like the game and game play, I just wish it was more group friendly / not just a single player game with some group aspects.  (And had a better story but thats another story all together)

Lath

• dageezadageeza Member Posts: 578

I dont get the "see ya" grouping thing im usually grouped with 4 guildies but when no one is on i have absolutely no problem getting in a group ever it usually takes less than 1 minute..

However not being able to kick the head of the undead without being severely diminished to nothing experience/karma/copper wise within 15-20 minutes is another story..

Playing GW2..

Originally posted by fat_taddler

I have to agree with the OP.  This game is no more social than a FPS.  Yea, we're all fighting on the same map but you'd be hard pressed to call it a team or collaborative effort.   

Sure the game is fun for a bit but for many of us, it's the social aspects of MMO's that keep us engaged over the long term. 

While some may not miss the trinity, I also feel that not having it will hurt the game over the long run.  You simply cannot create an immersive PvE experience with the "every man for himself" mentality which seems to be the case in most pugs.  

Sure, you could set up organized guild runs but I'm finding that a lot of people I play with do the dungeons once and don't touch them again due to them being more annoying than fun and not providing much in terms of rewards. 

At the end of the day, GW2 is pretty much exactly what many predicted, a decent game to play for a month or two that you can come back to anytime... nothing really wrong with that I guess.

I know I've only done one dungeon's story mode a couple of times but I received some decent money and a couple nice items I could give to other guildies.  It's purely a matter of opinion or personal preference and that is fine of course.  No argument there.

However, the combat in the game is much like the game.  You CAN choose to be all about yourself OR you CAN choose to help others you are fighting beside, i.e. planting banners as a WAR instead of simply maxing out power and swinging a greatsword all the time.  The game does offer such a choice.  So, again, it is the people choosing to play in such a way, it is not the game forcing them to do so.

As for your FPS analogy, I love Borderlands because I can work cooperatively with others and we all fight better and survive more as a result.  Dead Island is another example.  Sure I COULD play solo and the game allows me to do so but I cannot blame the game if playing for myself is not as fun.

I can shoot a b-ball by myself or invite a couple of people over for a game, but shooting hoops alone does not make basketball a bad sport.  Probably not the best example, but it's been a long Monday.

Anyway, to each his own!

• KareliaKarelia Member Posts: 668
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer

OP -

you know that any1 can check your healing any time right? you know lets say...hmmm...recount, right?

Originally posted by LytheEmber

I bolded the important part of your post because it is the basis of all your arguments.  You joined a guild of active people you already knew.... So, you didnt have to actually do anything to meet people in the game.  You already had a group of friends to "group" and "guild" with.   My friends are not playing this game- shoot!  I guess im anti-social.

Also, yes i purchased the other character slots, I like the game and if you would look at my other posts you will see, I have always said- I like the game and game play, I just wish it was more group friendly / not just a single player game with some group aspects.  (And had a better story but thats another story all together)

Lath

Have you actually tried to group with random people in the general area or do you expect them to make the group for you. I won't invite someone who is not being particularly vocal on whether or not they want to join a group, but I won't deny someone if they want to join one either since loot isn't shared and then we can help each other on hearts and DEs without just following each other around and creeping on the other or following them for no particular reason but to basically share kills and nothing more.

• thekid1thekid1 Member UncommonPosts: 789

It is what you make of it.

I made more friends, talked to a lot more other people and grouped wih more people then I did in the four weeks I played WOW.

Plus every time there is an event you are working together with other people, even when you don't speak  there is a group buzz goin on. People rezzing each other, doing combo's, asking for help in chat.

It is a perfect sytem for me. Although I can see how peopel used to guilds and doing raids, using teamspeak, etc. would think otherwise.

I love how you don't HAVE to group, except dungeons. (which I still haven't done, it's hard to commit for hours for me)

I also think a lot of people are real loners, ten people around a skill point and no one can be bothered to say hi orr answer a question. But I quess that's more the people's fault then the game.

• HyperwolfHyperwolf Member UncommonPosts: 120

Interesting perspective. I joined a guild very early on. We have 172 players and we chat on Mumble all the time. I usually log into voice chat before I start the game client up. I've also made lots of friends just by sending out party invites with people I see in the same zone as me. Because we aren't competing with each other for crafting materials grouping is a great idea unlike some other games I can mention.  Everything about the game is more enjoyable in a group, even if just one extra player because skill combos are easier to create, and moving around in the higher level zones is quicker with another player. 

Teaming up gives our Guild more influence too which is good for everyone. I can see your experience has been different but I have found GW2 players polite and easy to talk to. 

Although you can just roll with whoever happens to be nearby it's very obvious in WvW when you come up against coordinated guilds because they roll right over disorganised mobs. It's called "Guild Wars" for a reason. I suggest you make the effort to join one first and see if your experience changes. 

You will never reach your destination if you stop and throw stones at every dog that barks
    ~ WC

• deathangelldeathangell Member CommonPosts: 85
    This isnt the games fault this is yours im 80 almost have everything for my legendary and i have done plenty of groups and see people like warriors pick up tank roles and ele/guards and even engis pick up roles as support/healers so you must be doing somethign wrong. Your right i didnt ever feel the need to group with peopel as i leveled so i didnt i enjoyed the solo game all the way to 80 then i formed a guild with other 80s and i loved the instance with controled tanking and healing. The game does push a kite based game for those that dont want to deal with having to look for a support player a tank player and rape dps. But i promise you those roles can be filled and when they are instances run like dreams and there fun and exciting paths.
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer

OP -

Or you just missed the fact that I was not being serious.