Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The New Divide Of MMORPG Game TYPE

ManusMR65ManusMR65 london, ONPosts: 6Member
The Game Concept is one that the industry has been lacking.  None of these MMorpgs Are like The classical rpgs with the story line and adventure that go with the game, my concept is there is a story engine inside the game Where there are npc and the each person starts in a small kingdom, and every object is affetable, things get broken and you can try to smash any rock, just as there is a huge story inside other normal rpgs in this one there is also a story , what the npcs are saying one day is n ot the same they are saying the next, they are always saying different stuff. just an idea of having real quests and stuff

Comments

• CaldenforCaldenfor Meredith, NHPosts: 133Member
    Tip for your first post. Break it down into clear and concise points of discussion. Elaborate on what your key points are and just try to make your point clear and described well enough to generate discussion. How would things happen? Why would they happen? How do players interact with it? Just some basic stuff like that to get started would be beneficial.
  • BraveLion82BraveLion82 Las Cruces, NMPosts: 7Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by ManusMR65
    The Game Concept is one that the industry has been lacking.  None of these MMorpgs Are like The classical rpgs with the story line and adventure that go with the game, my concept is there is a story engine inside the game Where there are npc and the each person starts in a small kingdom, and every object is affetable, things get broken and you can try to smash any rock, just as there is a huge story inside other normal rpgs in this one there is also a story , what the npcs are saying one day is n ot the same they are saying the next, they are always saying different stuff. just an idea of having real quests and stuff

Eh, it sounds like what you're talking about is a mixture of SWTOR or GuildWars 2 personal stories, mixed with StoryBricks (http://www.namaste.vg/) The problems when you start saying things like oh like a "classical rpg" are 1. It's hard to feel like "the" hero, when there's a hundred other ones doing the same thing.  2. Classical Rpg's end, stories end, how do you deal with that? You might say "Oh come out with an expansion!" but this is pretty much what MMO's already do.

I mean I'm not a huge fan of WoW, cause of it's gameplay mechanics, but it *has* a story, a pretty compelling one, just no one bothers to read anything. That's the other problem with "story" in mmo's, everyone talks about wanting it, but nobody really wants it. I mean how often do you skip the quest text and just hit accept?  Nobody reads that stuff, especially multiaple times through. "Oh well I'll make cutscenes, or use voice acting," you might think to yourself. To that I just say look at SWOTR or GW2, where people in your group will literally drop you for not skipping the scenes.

The problem with story in an MMO is that it has to be presented in an interesting and non-intrusive way, so that the player actually wants to learn more, rather then just wanting to get on with their play session. If I were making a game, I would shy away from cutscenes and to a large extent quest text. I'd put interesting "clues" within the world.. maybe some strange runes on a statue or something.. so the player sees it and wants to know more. Then you drop little "notes" or books in the world that can be collected (while I'm at it, make them collectiable, like a set) that can be read whenever the player has downtime, or when he feels like learning some more. That's how I'd do it.

• CaldenforCaldenfor Meredith, NHPosts: 133Member
    Because people want to live his or her story, not the scripted story of everyone. A plot can unfold within the world, but it should not be some repeatable text based event that everyone gets to experience. Playing through the same content from beginning to end in a line is not my idea of a fun time. Single events happen in the world that affect everyone whether they know it or not is what should be aimed for. Worldwide not repetitive content.

The game will have bugs/glitches most likely to avoid spoilers, but there is only so much you can do to test things through to try and prevent players from breaking it.

An acceptance by players that the game is a quality base and you may have the opportunity to experience some amazing things... but there are going to be some bumps along the way.

That is key to what most people want in a game. A chance for the unknown.
  • artemisentr4artemisentr4 fresno, CAPosts: 1,431Member Uncommon

I would like to see a virtual game world where the NPCs have an ever changing well established world. Filled with politics, wars, changing factions and so on. Basically a fully established fantancy world that would continue on its own without players.

Then players are introduced and can change the world given enough time and effort. So as the OP said, things change constantly based on current NPC activity and how players interact with the NPCs. Players could choose to work with or against the NPCs. Try to take over towns and cities. Grouping up to over throw Kings or leaders. But it would have to be very difficult to do so. After a lot of work and cooperation by players, things could change to the point that players control most of the world. But the devs should add in new NPCs to chalenge the players once that happened.

A persistant ever changed NPC world where players are introduced as nobodies that can end up changing the world would be something I would love to see. But over months if not years of constant conflict and cooperation with NPCs and players to become a player made and controled world.

“How many people long for that "past, simpler, and better world," I wonder, without ever recognizing the truth that perhaps it was they who were simpler and better, and not the world about them?”
    R.A.Salvatore