Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GW2 & TSW Metacritic user scores.

Comments

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Heaven forbid there's consequences to dieing.

But anyway strongly disagree, WvW is the best attempt at large scale pvp since planetside.

Tsw fusang is only slightly better than bloody illum in swtor.

I liked the game while leveling, but was mightily disappointed in the same old stale "raiders first" endgame we've had to put up with for the past 8 years.
  • JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,956
    Originally posted by ShakyMo

But anyway strongly disagree, WvW is the best attempt at large scale pvp since planetside.

I liked the game while leveling, but was mightily disappointed in the same old stale "raiders first" endgame we've had to put up with for the past 8 years.

What concequences are there in WvWvW, when certain classes and lvl80's are constantly one shotting everyone around them.

There is nothing more frustrating then spending over 5 minutes walking back to the action, get one shotted and then have to spend another 5 minutes walking back again, again and again.

And then we are not even talking about the exploiters and hacks that are currently being used.

Sorry, but then I actually rather play Fusang and have some fun with guildies and not get one shotted all the time nor spend 5 minutes walking each time I die.

There is nothing grandscale about WvWvW... especially the last days I played before I stopped, when I saw less and less people participating in WvWvW, because of frustration and all the crap that is going on.

Err the consequence for suicidal play is a 5 minute walk back to the action.
    There's certainly nothing greenscale about fusang. About a 10th of the size of WvW, only 2 factions seem to have any players, and you have a bunch of people pvping in every 30 mins to pve an empty facility. Oh and ever better the epic whine you get from players on your own side for actually pvping - "just let them take it, then we can take it back for more tokens"

It's "pvp" for pveers
    Oh forgot, hardcore pveers in 10.4 going around one shotting people who pvp'd for their gear.
  • Ambros123Ambros123 Member Posts: 877
    Originally posted by Eir_S
    Edited.. I didn't realize that the thread STARTED the same way.  Necro'ing a thread to talk about a 10th of a point is kind of lame.

bcbully is just trying real hard to make himself feel better with his precious TSW, that is all

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,956
    Err the consequence for suicidal play is a 5 minute walk back to the action.

So you are basically saying to avoid the action and go PVE in WvWvW.... oh the irony!

I was very much looking forward to WvWvW in GW2, but was sorely dissapointed!

I had way more fun in the RvR lakes in WAR in the 5 months I played it, while with GW2 I got bored after 2 weeks.

I might have played WAR a lot longer, if it wasn't for my server's population dying out after those 5 months. /shrug

At least in WAR sieging was fun.

War was alright (well until bioware changed it to rvr for dummies)

But...

2 sides
    Lots of small lakes rather than 1 huge pvp area
    A campaign that had to be reset (rather than say taking a neutral city like praag or mordheim)
    AND way too easy reinforcement

Worked against it.

But at least you arent sticking to the ridiculous "tsw has better pvp than gw2" line. It's arguable which game has the better pve, I prefer both for leveling compared to the wow clone / quest hub approach. Tsw probably has the best dungeons going, but... i only run dungeons a couple of times then I'm done with them, doesn't matter how good they are, they bore me if I have to grind them. Pvp gw2 wins hands down though, its not as good as daoc or planetside at that style of pvp, but its the best example we've had in the past decade.
  • IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by Wraithone

The games afoot!!... Waits for the usual flame wars as hysterical fan kiddies and Haters pile on.

Aren't the haters already piling on?  Isn't that how metacritic works?

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Originally posted by bcbully

GW2 8.2 1330 reviews

TSW 8.3 955 reviews

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/guild-wars-2

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/the-secret-world

edit  - GW2 is now 8.3.

edit - GW2 is now 8.2

Having played both games I think the critic averages are far more accurate with GW2 at 90 and TSW at 73.

Those fan votes account for less than 0.0005% of GW2s population and 0.005% of TSWs population, which doesnt really make for a very high chance of statistical accuracy of an average score.

• SiugSiug Member UncommonPosts: 1,257
    Originally posted by evilastro

GW2 8.2 1330 reviews

TSW 8.3 955 reviews

edit  - GW2 is now 8.3.

edit - GW2 is now 8.2

Having played both games I think the critic averages are far more accurate with GW2 at 90 and TSW at 73.

Those fan votes account for less than 0.0005% of GW2s population and 0.005% of TSWs population, which doesnt really make for a very high chance of statistical accuracy of an average score.

Having played both I think that giving GW2 8.2 is way too generous.

• halflife25halflife25 Member Posts: 737
    Originally posted by Ambros123
    Edited.. I didn't realize that the thread STARTED the same way.  Necro'ing a thread to talk about a 10th of a point is kind of lame.

bcbully is just trying real hard to make himself feel better with his precious TSW, that is all

Everyone has one precious that they would defend with all their vigour and might. lets not be a hypocrite here please.

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    What is the point of this thread?

• SiugSiug Member UncommonPosts: 1,257
    Originally posted by Kuppa
    What is the point of this thread?

Tbh no point imo.

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230
    Originally posted by halflife25
    Originally posted by Ambros123

Everyone has one precious that they would defend with all their vigour and might. lets not be a hypocrite here please.

Speak for yourself.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• RandaynRandayn Member UncommonPosts: 904
    Originally posted by Celcius
    Take a look at the more important, critic score. That has a much bigger impact on the success of the game. Evidenced by the fact that TSW has failed miserably, caused significant layoffs within Funcom, delayed content updates, resignation of one of the biggest names at the company, and a possible new direction for the company as a whole. Meanwhile, GW2 has had record breaking sales and continues to be one of the top sellers on every gaming website. Did I mention that ArenaNet is still hiring after the launch of their game? I know that the raid content for TSW did not come in the 2nd update and is probably not going to be out for longer still.. This crusade against GW2 has proven nothing but your ignorance of the gaming industry.

hahahahahahahahahahahahahah.....hahahahahahahahahah

Have you read the reviews for TSW?  Even MMORPG.COM didn't play the game at length before reviewing.  If you've played TSW and then went and read critic reviews (cept for maybe 1 or 2 no name reviews) it was blatantly obvious that the critics might have played the game for all of 2-6 hours, only doing the first dungeon.  The pictures they included in their reviews were pictures that were around prior to closed beta starting.  I believe one even commented on the fact that the ENTIRE game world has mob density issues...that's actually only true in Blue Mountain and a small part of the area before that...and they actually fixed the mob density issue there about a week into launch if I remember correctly.

Critics have 0 credibility anymore....I remember sitting around for 2 months waiting for reviews of MMORPG's that just launched because the critics actually played through the game before commenting...now most don't even download it...

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,367
    Originally posted by Icewhite
    Originally posted by Wraithone

The games afoot!!... Waits for the usual flame wars as hysterical fan kiddies and Haters pile on.

Aren't the haters already piling on?  Isn't that how metacritic works?

Yeah. The failure really is the thinking that Metacritic numbers mean something. 

I find the individual reviews sometimes useful, as they can pinpoint certain mechanics or design choices that I might find great or terrible.   Gives me a better idea as to whether I want to invest in the game.   But the numbers?    'Lies, damn lies, and statistics....'

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• RandaynRandayn Member UncommonPosts: 904
    Originally posted by Torvaldr

User score update -

GW2 8.2

TSW 8.3 

The TSW is an oddity to me.  It is almost boggling how a game can look so interesting (I haven't got to play it yet) and rate so high, yet have such abysmal sales and retention.

Outside of their idiotic choice to include raiding in a game that doesn't seem to fit that system, the game seems solid.  I would agree with the other poster above that pointed to changing how you play the game at level cap was a mistake.  I don't think there is enough room to repeat that too often in the genre, yet many people are trying to do that.

Anyway, I'm sure the game is very good and deserves that score (I've said in other posts I'm a huge fan of Ragnar), but that isn't all there is to success with an MMO.  It matters if the game is profitible and popular.  The thing remarkable about GW2s score isn't just that it is that high despite the agenda of those who wish otherwise, but that it's also hugely successful and will continue to be so because it's business model is also wildly popular.

just a note...although it did have trouble with sales, retention does not seem to be a problem.  Im sure there are some that jumped ship, but many have stayed.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by Piiritus
    Originally posted by evilastro

GW2 8.2 1330 reviews

TSW 8.3 955 reviews

edit  - GW2 is now 8.3.

edit - GW2 is now 8.2

Having played both I think that giving GW2 8.2 is way too generous.

Having played both I think giving TSW a 73 is way too generous.

• ZeroxinZeroxin Member UncommonPosts: 2,515
    Originally posted by Nitre
    great ratings never managed to save a game from failure after release..and we seeing both games failing right now (especially gw2)

That's the great thing about games like GW2, they technically never fail till everyone stops buying stuff in their cash shop. GW1 didn't "fail" with it's low playerbase, don't see GW2 "failing" either.

This is not a game.

• korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364
    Originally posted by dariuszp

GW2 8.4 1330 reviews

TSW 8.3 955 reviews

So ? 

GW2: 90 / 100

TSW: 75 / 100

When game is highly recomended by people and crytics, you know you have something good in your hands (GW2, EVE, DAOC, EQ etc...)

If game is highly recomended only by people, you know that it's just poor game filled with fanboys (TSW)

When game is highly recomended by crytics but not people, you know that it's a poor game made by someone well known (TOR)

When game is not recomended by both crytics and people, you know to stay away (others).

Questions ?

That's one way of looking at it forsure. I don't know if I agree with the orange, although it could be true and a good way to gauge a game.

this proves to be the best way, yes... So far it has been correct.

btw... I'm just wondering. Those who are saying GW2 or TSW is failing. What exactly are your definitions of failing for GW2 or TSW?

Since GW2 actually can't fail like SWTOR did because of it's B2P model.

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773
    Originally posted by JeroKane

What concequences are there in WvWvW, when certain classes and lvl80's are constantly one shotting everyone around them.

There is nothing more frustrating then spending over 5 minutes walking back to the action, get one shotted and then have to spend another 5 minutes walking back again, again and again.

And then we are not even talking about the exploiters and hacks that are currently being used.

Sorry, but then I actually rather play Fusang and have some fun with guildies and not get one shotted all the time nor spend 5 minutes walking each time I die.

There is nothing grandscale about WvWvW... especially the last days I played before I stopped, when I saw less and less people participating in WvWvW, because of frustration and all the crap that is going on.

What game is being talked about here?

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• ippyippy Member Posts: 4

Theres a few things that were evident after the beta weekends for TSW.

First, it was pretty unpolished.

Second, you were going to screw up your points and spend an inordinate time running around swapping in and out of quests until you figured out the system.

Third, the whole tri-faction thing but with no real conflict thing was bewildering.

Finally, it was massively obvious that this was a niche game and a slow burner. 

So i had a bit of time and avoided buying it on release. 

Ive just come back to the game and im honestly in love with it. PVP is rubbish. Lets get this out of the way immediately. Theres no question that there is serious possibilities if something breaks out, but no one seems to want to pvp, so its just cap trading in fusang with the other 2 or 3 people on your faction who bother to show up. In their defence though theyve come to realise this was a bit of a glaring misjudgement and are trying to make it more integral to the game. 

There are problems with the engine still (plenty of lock ups on my computer with dx11 running or when i put it in high settings). 

Both of these are disappointing of course. But they arent game destroying for me. (However, I dunno if i could be playing a game after i finish the main storyline without some kind of world pvp element. For now though, its fine, Ive got the whole place to explore so they have time.) 

The quests are great fun, and the sheer attempt at diversifying the way you look at questing is outstandingly good fun. 

Im genuinely enjoying the game at the moment. It seems to have so much potential for delivering the game many of us are kind of looking for. Id put it more in the EVE category though than the wow, swtor or even GW2 category. Not sure why funcom got it in their heads that it was going to appeal to a mainstream audience. The game is niche, its brilliant fun, and it appeals to me in ways that GW2 never likely will.

On the horizon, the state of the game for september (released er, yesterday), had some really exciting anouncements so its good to see that even with the scaling back they have some fun and progressive ideas they want to keep pushing. Its not raid or die, and its not pvping for the sake of getting better gear to run the same battlegrounds over and over, but seems to be trying to add a little something to everyone, so im kinda happy to see how the game progresses over the next few months. 

If i was reviewing it id say its a fun, and interesting game. It feels accomplished and fulfilling and also has some great quirky ideas and innovations to the whole storytelling part of the world. If youre the kind of person that likes reading the lore, you can really sink your teeth into this game. It also has some serious potential and so far seems to have avenues to rewardplyers (through cosmetics) that give it a way out  the "upgrade" grind and endless stat inflation (leading to massive gulfs between new players at end game and older players).

On teh flip, it still feels more than a little unstable and its pvp is non existent. I cant even comment about the combat because im two shot pretty much the second i step in fusang at the moment :) 

Overall its a game that deserves to have a lot more people playing it just because i honestly think theyd enjoy it. 

• gwei1984gwei1984 Member UncommonPosts: 413
    Why the hell do you need to start such a topic? I love TSW and think its a great game, but stop those damn comparisons to GW2.  /facepalm

Hodor!

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699
    We're still talking about GW2?  That game is so last month.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville