Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GW2 & TSW Metacritic user scores.

Comments

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748
    Originally posted by dageeza

GW2 is a fantastic game, however limiting loot and punishing power gamers in a game that has more grind than any standard mmo is just foolish and a kneejerk response..

Devs are not living up to their manifesto.

Decieve me once shame on me..

Decieve me twice and you become my next funcom..

Someday people will realize that being a "power gamer" is a self-imposed punishment.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• KungFuPanda2012KungFuPanda2012 Member Posts: 28
    I can't play guild wars 2 and eat cheetos at the same time. this game is fail, and my orange fingers are just out of control.
  • PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048
    Those scores aren't really very useful. Granted I didn't like TSW, I still feel its a good game. Its a bit clunky with combat but truthfully it feels identicle to GW2 combat though it has a more inspired story and feel about it for me. As much as I can't stand to play it, I hold respect for the game in its attempt. Is it as good as its marked? No, but its probably one of the best games to release. GW2... I play it, yes, but I honestly feel that it isn't as good as TSW and over-all is a decent game but it seems that PvE is a sever after thought. Its fine to support pvp but its to the point where I really think they just threw in that dungeon grind last minute in hopes it was enough to distract PvE players. Then again, some people consider TSW pvp weak so eh, its really an opinion.
  • KungFuPanda2012KungFuPanda2012 Member Posts: 28
    Originally posted by Purutzil
    Those scores aren't really very useful. Granted I didn't like TSW, I still feel its a good game. Its a bit clunky with combat but truthfully it feels identicle to GW2 combat though it has a more inspired story and feel about it for me. As much as I can't stand to play it, I hold respect for the game in its attempt. Is it as good as its marked? No, but its probably one of the best games to release. GW2... I play it, yes, but I honestly feel that it isn't as good as TSW and over-all is a decent game but it seems that PvE is a sever after thought. Its fine to support pvp but its to the point where I really think they just threw in that dungeon grind last minute in hopes it was enough to distract PvE players. Then again, some people consider TSW pvp weak so eh, its really an opinion.

so you say tws and gw2 combat is identicle, yet one game lets you dodge which completely changes the dynamics of combat compared to the other game that doesn't let you dodge, really?

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Both games have the same dodge mechanic
    They also both have the same state / combo mechanic.
    Also both games don't let you play 1 handed while eating cheetos and watching movies.

So the combat is simmilar, a kind of mash up of gw1, coh & war.

However because gw2 has classes they can have a separate mechanic for each class whereas everyone in tsw uses a "rogue" mechanic.

The difference is the polish, gw2 better animations and the combat just feels better. That said, tsw handles the camera better than gw2.
    Oh and tsw pvp is much weaker than gw2 pve.
  • LoLifeLoLife Member CommonPosts: 174
    Originally posted by Volkon

GW2 is a fantastic game, however limiting loot and punishing power gamers in a game that has more grind than any standard mmo is just foolish and a kneejerk response..

Someday people will realize that being a "power gamer" is a self-imposed punishment.

This^ +1 for Epic truth =)

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806
    Originally posted by Volkon

Anet is simply trying to "protect" people from themselves....^^ How thoughtful, or even "progressive" of them... ^^ After all, since it is B2P, they don't have to concern themselves with retention. 

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • worldalphaworldalpha Member Posts: 403
    It was interesting to see what sites covered the games.  I made a good list to submit my game WorldAlpha to, once it is live in November.

Thanks,
    Mike
    Working on Social Strategy MMORTS (now Launched!) http://www.worldalpha.com

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

Update, GW2 is also now 8.3 user score. 

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/guild-wars-2

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928

and gamespot 

GW2 - 1330 votes at 9.1 average

TSW- 455 Votes at 7.9 average

what's the point again?

if anything i'd take little more stock in gamespot user reviews as it's little harder to just post a knee jerk review unlike metacritic.

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• benit59benit59 Member UncommonPosts: 114

I have enjoyed both of those games alot. I would say they are the gems of this years MMO crop.

Unfortunately both games have a bit of a niche appeal to them. A lot of people are going to skip out on GW2 because they think it is mainly a PvP game, and a lot of people are going to be repelled from TSW due to its rather lofty modern fantasy setting and adult content.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230
    People sure love to troll. I see a lot of 1 and 0 reviews for GW2. TSW has few 2-3 reviews from what I can see with a glance (sorted by date).

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Edited.. I didn't realize that the thread STARTED the same way.  Necro'ing a thread to talk about a 10th of a point is kind of lame.
  • dariuszpdariuszp Member Posts: 182
    So ? Both games are good but also they are good for different reasons. Like SWTOR, TSW have nice single player experience and it just can't keep people playing. So it will live short like SWTOR. GW2 is not so focused on story but rather very nice gameplay so it appeal more to MMO crowd and will live longer.
  • ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574
    Originally posted by bcbully
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Well both scores look silly when you take into account the ridiculously high scores given to swtor and d3

If you just pve, tsw probably is that close to gw2.

Thing is gw2 offers you more choices, tournaments, WvW as a guild, de chains and bosses as a guild, crafting meaningful gear etc..

Tsw has better lore And dungeons though

I agree with you on gw2 having a more robust pvp system and TSW having better story/lore delivery and dungeons. As far as DE chains, TSW has lairs. Open world spots with super tough mobs desinged for 5 people along with world bosses.

I feel the crafting is more meaningful in TSW aswell, due to the fact it allows you craft exactly what you need to match any build combination out of the 525 abilities i.g. A mage tank that uses self healing instead of mitigation. 

It's really interesting to look at these scores. One game sells 2 million the other 200k. TSW spent the vast majority of thier budget on PvE content. GW2 spent a lot of there budget on PvP. 

But the problem with TSW's Lairs in particular and most of TSW's content in general is that it isnt organic, free flowing or makes sense in the scheme of things.  Whereas in GW2, what you do at level 1 is the same thng you do at level 80 and vice versa.  Hence the reason why alot of people quit TSW and other similar games like SWTOR.

Common sense dicatates that if TSW and to a lesser extent games like SWTOR would of struck to their true innovative parts at level cap they would of ended up as good games.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005
    Originally posted by Torvaldr

User score update -

GW2 8.2

TSW 8.3 

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/the-secret-world

The TSW is an oddity to me.  It is almost boggling how a game can look so interesting (I haven't got to play it yet) and rate so high, yet have such abysmal sales and retention.

Outside of their idiotic choice to include raiding in a game that doesn't seem to fit that system, the game seems solid.  I would agree with the other poster above that pointed to changing how you play the game at level cap was a mistake.  I don't think there is enough room to repeat that too often in the genre, yet many people are trying to do that.

Anyway, I'm sure the game is very good and deserves that score (I've said in other posts I'm a huge fan of Ragnar), but that isn't all there is to success with an MMO.  It matters if the game is profitible and popular.  The thing remarkable about GW2s score isn't just that it is that high despite the agenda of those who wish otherwise, but that it's also hugely successful and will continue to be so because it's business model is also wildly popular.

Think TSW retention is not that bad and my friends that play it say that comparing to other themepark releases in last years like Swtor, AoC, Warhammer, FFXIV, etc  game for most part does not need server mergers, etc

Sales was absymal yes, but that's a result of few things + Funcom's sales targets were way too high anyway. Investors documents were targetting sales higher than AoC and with much higher retention.   Insane.

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    Only reason I didn't play TSW was because of the system requirements otherwise is sounds very good.

These scores (user and critic) just by themselves. I tend to read the reviews and that's when user reviews fall flat because most of them are extremely biased one liners.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159
    Originally posted by Torvaldr

User score update -

GW2 8.2

TSW 8.3 

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/the-secret-world

The TSW is an oddity to me.  It is almost boggling how a game can look so interesting (I haven't got to play it yet) and rate so high, yet have such abysmal sales and retention.

Outside of their idiotic choice to include raiding in a game that doesn't seem to fit that system, the game seems solid.  I would agree with the other poster above that pointed to changing how you play the game at level cap was a mistake.  I don't think there is enough room to repeat that too often in the genre, yet many people are trying to do that.

Anyway, I'm sure the game is very good and deserves that score (I've said in other posts I'm a huge fan of Ragnar), but that isn't all there is to success with an MMO.  It matters if the game is profitible and popular.  The thing remarkable about GW2s score isn't just that it is that high despite the agenda of those who wish otherwise, but that it's also hugely successful and will continue to be so because it's business model is also wildly popular.

I think TSW has an especially solid core fanbase, and not a lot of people who hate it.  Lots of people didn't like it, but they don't hate it.  That is, they don't go around trashing it, or downrating it on Metacritic - they simply don't play it.

It's funny how user ratings can be skewed by factors other than the simple quality of the game.  In TSW's case, I think that's worked in its favor.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

Wow fanbois have more to "fear" from gw2.
  • DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,202
    Originally posted by Kost
    And your point is?

Exactly what I was thinking.

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,957
    Well both scores look silly when you take into account the ridiculously high scores given to swtor and d3

If you just pve, tsw probably is that close to gw2.

Thing is gw2 offers you more choices, tournaments, WvW as a guild, de chains and bosses as a guild, crafting meaningful gear etc..

Tsw has better lore And dungeons though

See and that is just a shame right here. And maybe it's also Funcom's fault for not having it advertised and highlighted more.

But TSW has zone, area and world bosses that you can spawn that can reward you one of the best rewards in the game.

The effort it takes to collect the puzzle pieces to spawn a zone boss makes it pretty much a perfect guild activity.

Then you need to farm puzzle pieces from zone bosses to then spawn the Area boss.

And last but not least you farm Area bosses to collect the final pieces to spawn the World Boss. (I haven't come that far yet, as if there is one world boss or several type of world bosses).

But the above is actually a pretty unique and exciting endgame feature for guilds or group of friends, PuGs to strive for.

So really.... it isn't just nightmare mode dungeons as endgame, next to PVP (some like it, some don't.)

The crafting system isn't too bad either and is actually well thought out and pretty great when you get the hang of it.

I think too many people have gotten on the "I hate everything Funcom/Failcom!" bandwagon and never really gave this game the chance it deserves.

There is a lot more to it and a lot more to do then people realize. :-/

Yeah but hardcore dunguneeering is the "pinnacle" in tsw. You have to do dungeons to get 10.4, and no doubt the new raid for 10.5. You certainly cant craft or quest for the best gear like you can in gw2.

Also the pvp, might have cut it against rift or swtor or whatever, but its 2008 pvp not 2012 pvp doesn't stand a chance against gw2, ps2, probably TESO etc..
  • JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,957
    Yeah but hardcore dunguneeering is the "pinnacle" in tsw. You have to do dungeons to get 10.4, and no doubt the new raid for 10.5. You certainly cant craft or quest for the best gear like you can in gw2.

Also the pvp, might have cut it against rift or swtor or whatever, but its 2008 pvp not 2012 pvp doesn't stand a chance against gw2, ps2, probably TESO etc..

Well people bash PVP in TSW, but truth is that I have more fun in TSW's PVP than in GW2's WvWvW PVP which is just a borefest to me.

I got sick and tired of all the walking I had to do each and everytime I died, as hardly anyone bothered rezzing people on the field due to all the AoE spam in WvWvW, making rezzing pretty much impossible and forces you to rez at the spawnpoint and spend a ridiculous amount of time walking back to the action.