Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GW2 & TSW Metacritic user scores.

Comments

• ElSandmanElSandman Member Posts: 94

I think what you have proven here is that a high user Metacritic score does not guarantee long term concurrent user retention, since both games have bled significant numbers of players in the relatively short period since their respective release dates.

• kalrhaelkalrhael Member Posts: 87

MOP cinematic is basically the movie version of this thread.

The Orc is basically GW2

The Human is basically TSW

Chen (the panda)... is WOW

In the end, even their combined forces is no match for pandaland. 

• NitreNitre Member Posts: 37
    Originally posted by kalrhael

The Orc is basically GW2

/thread end !

• aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387
    Originally posted by ElSandman

I think what you have proven here is that a high user Metacritic score does not guarantee long term concurrent user retention, since both games have bled significant numbers of players in the relatively short period since their respective release dates.

Your assumption is wrong, since GW2 cannot "bleed" players (as they have no-sub, number of players now are not important to them).

They have already made the money and laughing all the way to the bank.

TSW however, needs to hold on to subscribers, plus they also did not sold 2 mil boxes.

Originally posted by aRtFuLThinG

Your assumption is wrong, since GW2 cannot "bleed" players (as they have no-sub, number of players now are not important to them).

They have already made the money and laughing all the way to the bank.

TSW however, needs to hold on to subscribers, plus they also did not sold 2 mil boxes.

oh they can bleed and they are bleeding like a pig right as i write this!

its played who are tired of GW2 already becase endgame is nonexsistend (or pvp grind)

and they just go to other mmos and dont come back for months of maybe ever.

i know it is hard to understand but the b2p no fee argument is invalid.

anet has money and they dont give a shit now^^

but its not much money if u consider how much it cost to develop GW2.

the number of players may be not important to them now but it will be very important when they try to sell their next addon and trust me..they will never get 2m preorders or even near that ^^

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Originally posted by Nitre
    great ratings never managed to save a game from failure after release..and we seeing both games failing right now (especially gw2)

I'm not seeing where you think the game is failing....It can't be for lack of folks playing.

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,737
          GW2 sounds about right, but TSW is too high.....FOr a game that fell wayyyyyyyyyy short of even its own company's expectations, you cant rate it that high.....Also is it being rated by its game value or its MMO value because they would be two different scores.
  • WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806

The Orc is basically GW2

The power of the Panda Side is strong in this one. ^^  That was a first rate video, and funny as well.  I'll be going back to MoP eventually.  Right now I'm playing GW2. I can really only focus on one game at a time these days.  In case anyones not seen that video, here it is. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zopwj5uUChA&feature=fvsr

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387

its played who are tired of GW2 already becase endgame is nonexsistend (or pvp grind)

the number of players may be not important to them now but it will be very important when they try to sell their next addon and trust me..they will never get 2m preorders or even near that ^^

Are you kidding me?? 2m sold is a lot. $60 x 2m is $0.12 billion mate.

Have you even seen $0.12 billion before? lol "not much money"...

$0.12 billion is enough to send at least 1 rocket with satellites into space buddy.

Anet is absolutely making a killing. The ARE laughing all the way to the bank.

B2P is absolutely valid. Your assumption is invalid because you don't even have basic profit/cost figure in your assumptions.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

$0.12 billion is enough to send at least 1 rocket with satellites into space buddy.

B2P is absolutely valid. Your assumption is invalid because you don't even have basic profit/cost figure in your assumptions.

Well they said ToR cost somewhere between 300 and 500 million. 500 million if you count marketing. 

A low ball estimate for WoW saying that it only has 4 million subs at 15$ per month, they would make that .12 billion in 2 months not counting expansion box sales. No, GW2 needs players not only to use the cash shop, but also for their systems like WvW. 

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • RaysheRayshe Member UncommonPosts: 1,279

In my opinion it just shows people are cheap. Honestly i think GW2 players should have to pay for every bit of new content that gets put into the game. its what B2P leads towards. where as TSW can release all the new content it wants without charging the players because they are paying a sub fee.

Because i can.
    I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.
    Logic every gamers worst enemy.

• ElSandmanElSandman Member Posts: 94

You are missing the point.  It does not matter whether Anet have been financiall successful or not, what matters is that MMORPGs are supposed to be a home for years, not a place you visit for a few weeks then depart for the next thing.  These two games are both ranked highly on Metacritic by users (and so theoretically are both good MMORPGs), and yet both significantly lost concurrent users in the short time after release till now.

[As did Tera, SW:TOR etc to be fair]

In fact the attrition on GW2 is probably particularly telling, given even the supposed resumption of online selling has done nothing to stem this tide, and the competition of MoP has not even hit yet.

So what is the problem with Metacritic?  Are people simply making judgements far too early on in the life cycle of an MMORPG?  What works as a "useful" gauge of user sentiment towards other shorter life span games, may not actually be a good way to measure MMORPGs.

You are missing the point.  It does not matter whether Anet have been financiall successful or not, what matters is that MMORPGs are supposed to be a home for years, not a place you visit for a few weeks then depart for the next thing.  These two games are both ranked highly on Metacritic by users (and so theoretically are both good MMORPGs), and yet both significantly lost concurrent users in the short time after release till now.

In fact the attrition on GW2 is probably particularly telling, given even the supposed resumption of online selling has done nothing to stem this tide, and the competition of MoP has not even hit yet.

So what is the problem with Metacritic?  Are people simply making judgements far too early on in the life cycle of an MMORPG?  What works as a "useful" gauge of user sentiment towards other shorter life span games, may not actually be a good way to measure MMORPGs.

thats exactly what i mean. mmorpg players  want a mmo they can play for long terms (everyone i know atleast) and  this is part of the mystery why WoW is such a succes..people are comign back to it after 4-5 or even more years..it happened to me after more than 3y..actually i came back to every addon ^^

if u invest so much time in 1 game u want to stay there for a long time.

And because GW2 is b2p people always think "eh i already payed for it so i can play other mmos and maybe come back to it since IM NOT PAYING A MONTHLY FEE THAT "FORCES" ME TO PLAY "

It is weird but if i play a p2p mmo i wanna play it as much as possible since i pay for it monthly. but with gw2 once ur 80 there is nothing todo except pvp and since u dont pay for it u dont have to stick to it.

i hope ppl understand what i mean.

• CalkrowCalkrow Member UncommonPosts: 92
    Originally posted by VirusDancer
    Critic reviews are little more than user reviews these days.

I have to agree completely with this statement.  Not true of all critics reviews but enough to make an impact on the scores.

As an example the reviewer who has given TSW the lowest score (as of 24 Sep 12) only seems to have an issue with the broken/buggy missions in a rather bland description of the game that doesn't really criticize anything else.  Yet the same reviewer has rated GW2 a 100 with a glowing review that all but calls it the second comming.

I'm currently playing both games and enjoy them both, and have encountered very few bugs in either.  I don't believe an objective and professional reviewer could score these two games that differently; particularly when his main reason for scoring one so low appears to be buggy missions. 

It would appear that this reviewer is a TSW hater and a GW2 fanboy.  Nothing wrong with that everyone is entitled to their opinion, but should these reviews be considered as official type reviews alongside those of mainstream publications instead of just another user's review.  In my opinion they shouldn't.

Forum Post count does not = Game Intelligence or Knowledge  it just shows how often people like to talk.
  • DjildjameshDjildjamesh Member UncommonPosts: 406

thats exactly what i mean. mmorpg players  want a mmo they can play for long terms (everyone i know atleast) and  this is part of the mystery why WoW is such a succes..people are comign back to it after 4-5 or even more years..it happened to me after more than 3y..actually i came back to every addon ^^

And because GW2 is b2p people always think "eh i already payed for it so i can play other mmos and maybe come back to it since IM NOT PAYING A MONTHLY FEE THAT "FORCES" ME TO PLAY "

It is weird but if i play a p2p mmo i wanna play it as much as possible since i pay for it monthly. but with gw2 once ur 80 there is nothing todo except pvp and since u dont pay for it u dont have to stick to it.

yes we do,

But it sounds like you like being forced to pay to play  :x

I don't mind paying a sub per-say, but good god, after playing GW2 and the amount of content that game has released with i wonder if i'll ever pay a sub again. GW2 is a great game and it can last me for MONTHS. WoW turned into a lobby game long ago where you just log in to raid. GW2 is anything BUT that and for that i thank ANET.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by bcbully
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Well both scores look silly when you take into account the ridiculously high scores given to swtor and d3

If you just pve, tsw probably is that close to gw2.

Thing is gw2 offers you more choices, tournaments, WvW as a guild, de chains and bosses as a guild, crafting meaningful gear etc..

Tsw has better lore And dungeons though

I agree with you on gw2 having a more robust pvp system and TSW having better story/lore delivery and dungeons. As far as DE chains, TSW has lairs. Open world spots with super tough mobs desinged for 5 people along with world bosses.

I feel the crafting is more meaningful in TSW aswell, due to the fact it allows you craft exactly what you need to match any build combination out of the 525 abilities i.g. A mage tank that uses self healing instead of mitigation. 

It's really interesting to look at these scores. One game sells 2 million the other 200k. TSW spent the vast majority of thier budget on PvE content. GW2 spent a lot of there budget on PvP. 

I have a feeling a lot of the lowered score is due to D3 and TOR, people put the score and later realized they were far too generous.

Same reason that game reviewers generally seems to play the game longer now than before, making a fair review after just playing "Tortage" never really worked and people have finally realized that.

I wouldnt call TSWs lore "better" but a ripp off from the RPG "Delta green" feels rather fresh to the genre.

• dariuszpdariuszp Member Posts: 182
    Originally posted by VirusDancer
    Originally posted by dariuszp
    Originally posted by bcbully

GW2 8.4 1330 reviews

TSW 8.3 955 reviews

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/guild-wars-2

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/the-secret-world

So ? 

GW2: 90 / 100

TSW: 75 / 100

A) When game is highly recomended by people and crytics, you know you have something good in your hands (GW2, EVE, DAOC, EQ etc...)

B) If game is highly recomended only by people, you know that it's just poor game filled with fanboys (TSW)

C) When game is highly recomended by crytics but not people, you know that it's a poor game made by someone well known (TOR)

D) When game is not recomended by both crytics and people, you know to stay away (others).

Questions ?

No questions... just a point.  While obviously it is just your opinion, it is not a very logical one.  You ignore your own "facts" while separating the various groups.

Your A ignores the influence of B and C.  So the fanbois from B have no influence on A?  So the well known critics from C have no influence on A?

Your B ignores the opposite of C, as in it could be a well made game by somebody not well known.

Your C ignores that the game may simply not be well known.

Your D again ignores C.

Like I said, it's not very logical in the least... but hey, people are free to offer their opinions.

Show me MMO that had very good critics review (around 8-10) and bad user reviews WHILE it was made by someone unknown (indie perhaps ?). Few examples please.

Fanbois and trolls have always an influence. But when game is bad, at some point even trolls leave and only fanboys stay. This is why user scores go up while critic score go down. In good game you usually have both parties with more fanboys (if game is really good).

D don't ignore anything. When everyone thinks that game is bad - game is bad.

• pieholepiehole Member UncommonPosts: 47
    Originally posted by Wraithone

The games afoot!!... Waits for the usual flame wars as hysterical fan kiddies and Haters pile on. 

GW2 is an entertaining game at this point. Since I wasn't looking for the One True Game(tm), I can't say I'm disappointed in it.  The combat system isn't as dynamic as Tera's, but its enjoyable.  The graphics are really nice.  I've enjoyed the story line sequence so far.  The events are fun (at least the first few times). 

You mean a new Ultima Online? :P

By the way, I would really prefer the B group if I found any game like that. Would be really nice playing without trolls and only with folks who like the game same way I do.

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748

The Orc is basically GW2

I've got some bad news for you sunshine...

Oderint, dum metuant.

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005
    Originally posted by Quirhid
    Oh wow, that user score for Diablo has seen quite a lot of trolling...

Trolling? Maybe, but I consider D3 a bad game. So I would give it a low score myself.  Deffo not 0-3, but deffo not high.

4-5-6 I think max.

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363

I think the problem with that rationale is P2P (sub fees) makes/forces people to play. When I was subbing to Rift, I got totally bored with the game, but I still played because I payed for it. This game doesn't force that issue.

One can make arguments for both business models.

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699

The atomic number of zinc is 30.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    I would play gw2 if it had a sub.
    It's really not a factor at all for me. I spend like 10x that on going the pub every month.

I play gw2 because its the first decent implementation of mass pvp since daoc / planetside. It also ditches the boring and stale 2004 quest hub / shopping list / corridor leveling gameplay which reached an all time low with swtor, which is a bonus, and as does tsw to be fair.

Likewise there are plenty of current subscription mmos I wouldn't touch with a barge pole even if they were completely free - wow, rift, EQ, eq2, swtor, Aoc etc..
  • ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    I'm normally bored by pve, but I like pve in both these games.
  • dageezadageeza Member Posts: 578

GW2 is a fantastic game, however limiting loot and punishing power gamers in a game that has more grind than any standard mmo is just foolish and a kneejerk response..

Devs are not living up to their manifesto.

Decieve me once shame on me..

Decieve me twice and you become my next funcom..

Playing GW2..