Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What did people expect for endgame content?

eAzydamaneAzydaman Member Posts: 218

Serious question, for me endgame in GW2 has always been sPVP and WvWvW. Did anyone expect something else?

IMO have gear grind and raiding never been a meaningful way to do endgame.

Comments

• XzenXzen Member UncommonPosts: 2,607
    Originally posted by eAzydaman

Serious question, for me endgame in GW2 has always been sPVP and WvWvW. Did anyone expect something else?

That and crafting a legendary. Pretty much exactly what Anet said they were going to have.

• saurus123saurus123 Member UncommonPosts: 678
    Originally posted by Xzen

That and crafting a legendary. Pretty much exactly what Anet said they were going to have.

this plus dungeon sets and titles that show my awesomeness

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    was just talking about this is another thread but GW2 offers tons of things to do at 80 just depends on what you value as endgame content.. you have dungeon sets, legendary weapons, 100% map completion, jumping puzzles, numerous achievements, can max  all crafting profs on a single character, can always roll another character.. probably missing couple but it's early:P

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• xpiherxpiher Member UncommonPosts: 3,310
    Originally posted by Xzen

This

Games:
    Currently playing:Nothing
    Will play: Darkfall: Unholy Wars
    Past games:
    Guild Wars 2 - Xpiher Duminous
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Darkfall - Xpiher Duminous (NA) retired
    AoC - Xpiher (Tyranny) retired
    Warhammer - Xpiher

• hikaru77hikaru77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,123

Competitive PvP but sadly, is not in the game.  

Originally posted by hikaru77

you must have an interesting definition of competitive PVP

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• eAzydamaneAzydaman Member Posts: 218

Double blog post inc this week regarding sPVP. They have custom tournaments, ladder rankings and spectator mode in the works so that will sort it self out pretty soon.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,507
    Not a whole heck of a lot, at least in terms of character power progression and territory control which is why I decided to pass.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Originally posted by Kyleran
    Not a whole heck of a lot, at least in terms of character power progression and territory control which is why I decided to pass.

Sorry to hear that. Which games have you played in the past? I consider DAOC the last MMO played for me, WOW etc doesn't even count in my book. And thinking back I don't remember gear progression to be my main focus, might have been because it took AGESS to level in daoc and the pvp was just to damn good.

Sorry to hear that. Which games have you played in the past? I consider DAOC the last MMO played for me, WOW etc doesn't even count in my book. And thinking back I don't remember gear progression to be my main focus, might have been because it took AGESS to level in daoc and the pvp was just to damn good.

couple write-ups on this topic .. just scroll down past the video to see the writeup

http://www.gamebreaker.tv/mmorpg/brawn-vs-brains/

http://www.gamebreaker.tv/mmorpg/no-gear-why-play/

• drakaenadrakaena Member UncommonPosts: 506

Better PvP I guess. Although it's essentially the same PvP I experienced in Beta, and I did start a thread after BWE2 highlighting some of the problems I foresaw that have come to fruition, I still thought it would have more staying power then the 3 weeks I got out of it.

Best I can figure is once the game went live and I wasn't experiencing PvP is small spoon size doses, the problems became confounded and eventually went from an annoyance to boredom. 

Just my two cents though.

Glad others are enjoying the game. Any success for MMO's is a success for the genre. So while some of us may not enjoy GW2 anylonger, it hopefully will give future devs incentive to continue investing into the genre and possibly making a game I can enjoy longterm.

• solarinesolarine Member Posts: 1,203

Also don't forget EVE. It has both (of what Kyleran said he ws looking for).

Me, I would like to see some stuff to do other than combat. (No, I didn't exactly "expect" them, I knew they weren't in.)

Stuff like housing, vehicle building, fishing, farming would be nice... Crafting and trading on the scale of EVE would also be a valid gamesphere. I played some games purely as a trader. As it is, solely trading in GW2 is underwhelming.

Even mini games would be cool, and at one point they said they were looking to have it, but then they told us it was going to have to wait after launch. 

Exploration is cool also, but it's something that's going to be interesting on just your first character - doing 100% map completion on an alt seems like a really boring prospect.

As for combat itself. I guess the only time I feel any thrill in combat is when it's open world PVP - being taken by surprise plays heavily into that, I suppose. Content progression a la WOW also has a certain hook, but it's not something I really dig into anymore.

• Atlan99Atlan99 Member UncommonPosts: 1,332
    Originally posted by Aerowyn

It was in pretty rough shape before I uninstalled.

It was easily the worst balanced BG style Pvp I had played in an mmo.

To top it off you got lots of 1v1, 1v2 matchups. Overall it left a very poor impression.

Originally posted by Atlan99

To top it off you got lots of 1v1, 1v2 matchups. Overall it left a very poor impression.

Atlan99, still here? :) Amazing how many threads you respond too when you clearly hate the game. I can think of MANY MMO's that had far worse balance from release than GW2 (WOW, AOC etc). Come on you can do better than that. The balance between classes is pretty damn good for a 3 week old game. No class is over the top OP.

Originally posted by drakaena

Better PvP I guess. Although it's essentially the same PvP I experienced in Beta, and I did start a thread after BWE2 highlighting some of the problems I foresaw that have come to fruition, I still thought it would have more staying power then the 3 weeks I got out of it.

Best I can figure is once the game went live and I wasn't experiencing PvP is small spoon size doses, the problems became confounded and eventually went from an annoyance to boredom. 

Just my two cents though.

Glad others are enjoying the game. Any success for MMO's is a success for the genre. So while some of us may not enjoy GW2 anylonger, it hopefully will give future devs incentive to continue investing into the genre and possibly making a game I can enjoy longterm.

Define "better pvp".  Like I said, ladder rankings, spec mode, custom tournaments will be implemented soon. What more do you want? I'm sure new maps and stuff like that will be in the game soon too. And since there's no sub there is no reason too quit. But if you don't like it so be it, we all like different things. To me sPVP is as addicting as every PVP game combined (counting non MMO's too).

• snapfusionsnapfusion Member Posts: 954

There are a couple of milion people out there at least that would disagree with you so I would say, your wrong, gear grinding and raiding is without out a doubt meaningful endgame to a large number of players.  But your last sentence is kind of borked so you might be saying the opposite thing, I am honestly not sure.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,507
    Originally posted by solarine

Me, I would like to see some stuff to do other than combat. (No, I didn't exactly "expect" them, I knew they weren't in.)

Stuff like housing, vehicle building, fishing, farming would be nice... Crafting and trading on the scale of EVE would also be a valid gamesphere. I played some games purely as a trader. As it is, solely trading in GW2 is underwhelming.

Even mini games would be cool, and at one point they said they were looking to have it, but then they told us it was going to have to wait after launch. 

Exploration is cool also, but it's something that's going to be interesting on just your first character - doing 100% map completion on an alt seems like a really boring prospect.

As for combat itself. I guess the only time I feel any thrill in combat is when it's open world PVP - being taken by surprise plays heavily into that, I suppose. Content progression a la WOW also has a certain hook, but it's not something I really dig into anymore.

My early MMORPG experience was molded by playing Lineage 1, DAOC, Shadowbane and Lineage 2 in order.  I went into WOW believing that all MMORPG's involved a PVP based, castle sieging end game, never occurred to me they could be designed any other way. (I didn't use to read much about new MMO's back then)

So since the, I really measure all new MMORPG's based on this criteria, and as you might imagine, most come out wanting.  You mentioned EVE, funny thing about that, I've played that the longest out of any MMO, over 3.5 years, and I've just signed up for another 3 month tour because there's nothing much out there for me to play.

I will give DFUW a try, even though I loath the idea of unrestricted FFA PVP with full looting (EVE isn't anything like this btw) but I am really, really bored so I'll put aside my preference just to see how it goes.

I'm sure GW2 is a great game, but what I noticed the past few titles that I've played, (Rift, SWTOR, TERA, TSW) is while I did have some fun leveling up characters (always do) as I approached their end games I quickly found my interest waning and quitting the games right as I reached top level or sometimes just before.

I've decided I just can't do it anymore, play the game to level up a character (even though it's pretty fun) only to hit "the end" and have nothing of interest for me.

I'm really not about endless progression, unless there's an actual reason for it, like making me stronger in PVP and even then, only if it involves benefiting my team in terms of controlling our territory and objectives.

GW2 is not that game, Anet made no secret of their intent and people who enjoy it do so for reasons different then why I play MMORPG's.

It's all good, we all like different things, and fortunately very soon I might have a shot at another game.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Originally posted by snapfusion

There are a couple of milion people out there at least that would disagree with you so I would say, your wrong, gear grinding and raiding is without out a doubt meaningful endgame to a large number of players.  But your last sentence is kind of borked so you might be saying the opposite thing, I am honestly not sure.

I said IMO. Yup I know millions of the WOW generation like the gear grind, I just never saw the fun in that. I'm not AGAINST gear grind, as long as it's kept completely seperate from PVP (includes WvWvW in GW2).

• XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,853

Originally posted by snapfusion Originally posted by eAzydaman Serious question, for me endgame in GW2 has always been sPVP and WvWvW. Did anyone expect something else? IMO have gear grind and raiding never been a meaningful way to do endgame.  
    I said IMO. Yup I know millions of the WOW generation like the gear grind, I just never saw the fun in that. I'm not AGAINST gear grind, as long as it's kept completely seperate from PVP (includes WvWvW in GW2).

Gear grind and raiding did not start with WoW.

If you have nothing against then you wouldn't have said that it has never been meaningful.

Originally posted by solarine

My early MMORPG experience was molded by playing Lineage 1, DAOC, Shadowbane and Lineage 2 in order.  I went into WOW believing that all MMORPG's involved a PVP based, castle sieging end game, never occurred to me they could be designed any other way. (I didn't use to read much about new MMO's back then)

So since the, I really measure all new MMORPG's based on this criteria, and as you might imagine, most come out wanting.  You mentioned EVE, funny thing about that, I've played that the longest out of any MMO, over 3.5 years, and I've just signed up for another 3 month tour because there's nothing much out there for me to play.

I will give DFUW a try, even though I loath the idea of unrestricted FFA PVP with full looting (EVE isn't anything like this btw) but I am really, really bored so I'll put aside my preference just to see how it goes.

I'm sure GW2 is a great game, but what I noticed the past few titles that I've played, (Rift, SWTOR, TERA, TSW) is while I did have some fun leveling up characters (always do) as I approached their end games I quickly found my interest waning and quitting the games right as I reached top level or sometimes just before.

I've decided I just can't do it anymore, play the game to level up a character (even though it's pretty fun) only to hit "the end" and have nothing of interest for me.

I'm really not about endless progression, unless there's an actual reason for it, like making me stronger in PVP and even then, only if it involves benefiting my team in terms of controlling our territory and objectives.

GW2 is not that game, Anet made no secret of their intent and people who enjoy it do so for reasons different then why I play MMORPG's.

It's all good, we all like different things, and fortunately very soon I might have a shot at another game.

Cool, think a part of your problem though might be that your not very selective about your games. Seems like you wanna try everything. In terms of endgame Rift, SWTOR, TERA etc is all the same. No offence but those games looked like disasters from a mile away. If your cool with a hotkey MMO than ArcheAge might be something for you when or if it releases.

• prpshrtprpshrt Member Posts: 258
    I expected more level 80 content. There is like 1 level 80 zone. While that zone is fun to explore it's only one zone. They should open up the crystal desert, ring of fire isles, and magumma wastes IMO. 
  • hikaru77hikaru77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,123
    Originally posted by Atlan99

Atlan99, still here? :) Amazing how many threads you respond too when you clearly hate the game. I can think of MANY MMO's that had far worse balance from release than GW2 (WOW, AOC etc). Come on you can do better than that. The balance between classes is pretty damn good for a 3 week old game. No class is over the top OP.

When u have just 3 classes in Spvp (Thieft, Warrior, ranger), something is not right. I dont care about the PvE in gw2 i bought it for the Spvp, but atm is a joke, is never a fair match, 1vs4, 4vs8, 8v8 for 2 min, then it could be a 2v2, peolple joining and quitting all the time, it doesnt matter if you win or lose, is by far the worst Spvp system that i found is a MMO in the last 5 years or more. I stopped playing GW2 a few days ago, it doesnt have a sub, so i can wait till they fix the PvP sometime in the future. 

• TatercakeTatercake Member UncommonPosts: 286
    oh i loved daoc that was a fun game tobad they dint make a new one with updated gfxs  and a new world i had some good friends and good times for the short amount of time i played it 
  • PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

I expected very little and thats exactly what there is in GW2. Yes, people can make the point about 'doing vistas' or that other junk but your just basically saying you can do stuff that was available since level 1, and its stuff every other MMO basically has to do (even if not done in a fancy way such as Vistas) which to me, really can't be considered end game as much as time wasting. Then again, other games have grinding which GW2 has plenty of (and in some cases more tedious such as running the same dungeon dozens of times rather then allowing diversity) which is about impossible to neglect in MMos but you can usually hide the grind with fun, and truthfully the grind that GW2 does have doesnt' feel that fun to me. There are very few events that I can say are real enjoyable to do that I can grind those out for the karma. Crafting is probably the strongest point but again, something you basically can do much work for before 80.

WvW is the focusof their end game and truthfully it doesn't feel like it. The issue I think comes in the fact that WvW and sPvP just don't feel like they are 'end game' since you can do it since level 1. Yes, its nice having the option to do those, but in the end its just spoiling the fun and doesn't really make you feel like its an end goal you reached and now your playing it.  

I was expecting GW2 to pretty much offer PvP as their end game and in that regard it has done that... though a bit poorly. All they really offer is stuff other games have and nothing more. If they want to neglect PvE for PvP, they need to make sure PvP has a lot more to it. Guild Vs Guild would probably be the thing that would at least make the game feel better on that aspect then other games that post PvE and still have PvP elements.

Originally posted by Xiaoki

Originally posted by snapfusion

Originally posted by eAzydaman Serious question, for me endgame in GW2 has always been sPVP and WvWvW. Did anyone expect something else? IMO have gear grind and raiding never been a meaningful way to do endgame.  

Gear grind and raiding did not start with WoW.

If you have nothing against then you wouldn't have said that it has never been meaningful.

Nope but it brought it to the extreme. Now everything has to revolve around gear. Diablo 3 even though it's not an MMO is a perfect example of a game that has ZERO enjoyment beside shinys.

It's not meaningful for me, heck I don't even think I will get the legendarys in GW2, just wanna get the exotics and start WvWvW:ing daily.