Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Does it need closed servers for those who have played?

Not sure if i want to buy this i prefer to play online all the time and was wondering if they plan on releasing closed servers in the future?

I dont have alot of buds who enjoy these kinds of games and so ill have to join or host games and know without them there are alot of cheats , hacks going on kinda like open diablo 2 servers.

Anyone who has played can you tell me how it is online?

Is there a way to tell if someone is cheating?

Im downloading the trial right now i never played torchlight 1 but loved diablo 2 .

Diablo 3 is ok but in its current state im not having the fun i had in d2 lod , heard this game is more like diablo 2 .

Thanks

Comments

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903

D3 is a much better long term hours per dollar spent game imo.

but with D3 still needing a lot of improvements/fixes, TL2 is a very good short term option.  The lack of closed servers kills it as a long term option for me.

As far as "cheating", well I don't believe there is PVP or PKing in this game.  If someone hacks their character to be godly in PVE well you'd certainly notice. 

• DarkmothDarkmoth Member Posts: 174
    Originally posted by firewater4176

Not sure if i want to buy this i prefer to play online all the time and was wondering if they plan on releasing closed servers in the future?

Seriously? All the time?

Don't you ever want to play great games like Deus Ex, Skyrim, Mass Effect, Fallout, Batman: Arkham (whatever). It'd be a hell of a thing to miss something like Bioshock because it wasn't online.

In any case, the TL2 devs have said they are consdering closed servers: "We are indeed seriously considering it but have not arrived at a decision yet. Release, mod kit, and localization are occupying all of the available headspace right now"

http://forums.runicgames.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=33571

• Hopscotch73Hopscotch73 Member UncommonPosts: 971

Using console hacks in the game gets your character a red exclamation mark over your head which is only visible to other players - it's the "cheater" brand.  I think it's a pretty cool system. In Torchlight  it also meant you lost access to your shared stash - not sure if that's the case in 2 though. 

With modding soon to explode I'm sure someone will find a way around it, but for now the cheater brand works. 

see: http://www.reddit.com/r/Torchlight/comments/10a9w7/how_to_reset_your_characters_skill_points_for_free/ for reference

• SilokSilok Member UncommonPosts: 732
    Originally posted by FrodoFragins

D3 is a much better long term hours per dollar spent game imo.

but with D3 still needing a lot of improvements/fixes, TL2 is a very good short term option.  The lack of closed servers kills it as a long term option for me.

As far as "cheating", well I don't believe there is PVP or PKing in this game.  If someone hacks their character to be godly in PVE well you'd certainly notice. 

I cant agree there, in D3 what you have to do except grinding items for now or at least until the expentions?. Well not much.

The strong point of T2 is the mod, runic has already said that every DLC will be free of charge on they website and dont forget the community mod. I prefer doing new dungeons or quests with mod then grinding items in D3 at least that my opinion.

For the closed server, i seriously dont care. I play ARPG alone or with close friends, if i want to play a game with hundred of people i will play mmo, again this is a matter of choices and opinions.

Originally posted by Hopscotch73

Using console hacks in the game gets your character a red exclamation mark over your head which is only visible to other players - it's the "cheater" brand.  I think it's a pretty cool system. In Torchlight  it also meant you lost access to your shared stash - not sure if that's the case in 2 though. 

With modding soon to explode I'm sure someone will find a way around it, but for now the cheater brand works. 

see: http://www.reddit.com/r/Torchlight/comments/10a9w7/how_to_reset_your_characters_skill_points_for_free/ for reference

WEll, if they want to brand me a "cheater" because I respecced my skills from the console then screw em.  Starting over and running the same content I just did for hours is not compelling gameplay or frankly enjoyable.  That is the epitome of grinding.  It's just a lazy way to try to prolongue the life of a game.  The only reason it was OK in D2 was because you could level ridiculously fast.

I'm sure a mod or app will be released to remove the flag or make a replacement character without the flag to swap items to. :)

WEll, if they want to brand me a "cheater" because I respecced my skills from the console then screw em.  Starting over and running the same content I just did for hours is not compelling gameplay or frankly enjoyable.  That is the epitome of grinding.  It's just a lazy way to try to prolongue the life of a game.  The only reason it was OK in D2 was because you could level ridiculously fast.

I'm sure a mod or app will be released to remove the flag or make a replacement character without the flag to swap items to. :)

In D3 this is not what you did? You have to finish the game 3 times just to grind items over and over.

Now you say: ''The only reason it was OK in D2 was because you could level ridiculously fast.''

In D2 when i beat Diablo the game in normal i am between lvl 30-33 (approx) and this take me between 20-25 hours. In torchlight im right now a Berserker lvl 46 with 21 hours 14 minutes of game time. I think i m almost at the end of act 3.

So you argument are not valid, since you lvl faster in torchlight.

Now for the respect thing, like in Titan Quest im pretty sure you will be able to cheat the lvl too so you can start a max lvl right away and try every spec you want. After that just reroll a new one the way you want and voila, you dont have to grind.

Originally posted by Silok

In D3 this is not what you did? You have to finish the game 3 times just to grind items over and over.

Now you say: ''The only reason it was OK in D2 was because you could level ridiculously fast.''

In D2 when i beat Diablo the game in normal i am between lvl 30-33 (approx) and this take me between 20-25 hours. In torchlight im right now a Berserker lvl 46 with 21 hours 14 minutes of game time. I think i m almost at the end of act 3.

Now for the respect thing, like in Titan Quest im pretty sure you will be able to cheat the lvl too so you can start a max lvl right away and try every spec you want. After that just reroll a new one the way you want and voila, you dont have to grind.

You power leveled wrong in D2 if you were using bnet.  Tristram runs, then tomb runs, then baal runs starting at 25 or so until level 50 or so where you went to nightmare.  Later on you could get power leveled on ubers, from what I heard.  You could hit 80 within one day easily on bnet.

As far as making a cheat character to test builds and then start from scratch.  Eh, that's not really what I want either.  But once I learn the class and have finalized the build I want I guess I could reroll.

Originally posted by Silok

You power leveled wrong in D2 if you were using bnet.  Tristram runs, then tomb runs, then baal runs starting at 25 or so until level 50 or so where you went to nightmare.  Later on you could get power leveled on ubers, from what I heard.  You could hit 80 within one day easily on bnet.

First i dont care about power leveling, you can do this in any game.. and since in TL2 there is no closed server and you can cheat you cant compare it with bnet.

So again in TL2 you dont have to power leveling to try any built if you can use the console to get max lvl, try your build, make a choice and start a character with the build you want or you can go to a forum to see what build other have done and go for there.

For me the fact that there is no full respect is way better cause i need to think before using my skill point and attribute. Plus this way, the builds i make are mine. I dont try to have the best build and i dont need it, if my build work with my play style im fine.

I finish the game today with my Berserker in Veteran mode and my build is simple, i put 5 points in Dex, next lvl 3 in str and 2 in vit and go on (at lvl 40+ sometimes i put the 5 points in str and vit to balance things up a little, plus i put my skill point in only 1 active skilll (shadow burst) all my other skill points goes into passive skill.

Now is it the best build? Totally not, but my berserker is really fast and brutal. He doesnt have much armor so i need to be careful sometimes but hey that the fun of it.

• nickster29nickster29 Member Posts: 486

Even if this game "needed" closed servers, it wont ever get them (at least officially).  I just play with friends and family, so no worries about cheaters there.

• SenanSenan Member UncommonPosts: 788
    Originally posted by nickster29

Even if this game "needed" closed servers, it wont ever get them (at least officially).  I just play with friends and family, so no worries about cheaters there.

They've already said they are "seriously considering" it, so I don't know where you get that idea.

Originally posted by Seillan
    Originally posted by nickster29

They've already said they are "seriously considering" it, so I don't know where you get that idea.

Seriously considering giving private server functionality for players to make their own servers.  They have ZERO plans of making runic run, bnet like closed servers.  They've stated they don't have the money or manpower for such an undertaking.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Frodo

The things needed to fix diablo 3 WILL NEVER HAPPEN

Because the things needed to fix diablo 3 would stop them making money out of the real money auction house.