Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In case you missed DF 1.0 and are curious...

13»

Comments

• grimgryphongrimgryphon Member CommonPosts: 682

Originally posted by Justin9820

There was only ever one darkfall...

Originally posted by Cecropia

Yup. Just one.

And contrary to the hopes and dreams of a few little "odd specimens" it clearly never ended up as vaporware. Too bad so sad.

Sadly, my restrained cynicism was lost on both of you.

I'll try using less complex sentences next time.

Optional PvP = No PvP
  • CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985
    Originally posted by grimgryphon

Sadly, my restrained cynicism was lost on both of you.

I'll try using less complex sentences next time.

No, no. Caught it, thanks. Simply pointing out the reality of DF's history for those who may not know better. Feel free to be as complex as you think you can.

Sounds like you're having yourself a fun evening. Enjoy image

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

• FluteFlute Member UncommonPosts: 455
    Originally posted by Rohn
    Originally posted by Cecropia
    Originally posted by grimgryphon

Missed Darkfall? Which one?

Darkfall, Darkfall 2010, Darkfall 2.0, or Darkfall: Unholy Wars? Which is the the one that isn't vaporware?

I'm so confused...

Yup. Just one.

And contrary to the hopes and dreams of a few little "odd specimens" it clearly never ended up as vaporware. Too bad so sad.

It wasn't vaporware, but sadly it also wasn't anything even close to being a sandbox game.  At best, it was a clan warfare themepark, with the worst community imaginable.

Hoping the next version will be much, MUCH closer to what the original game was supposed to be.

Im don't really agree with you. while it isn't a full blown sandbox, it was extremely far from themepark. Themepark gets its name because when you play a themepark game, you are just along for the ride. Darkfall was a game where you made the ride, sure there was premade mob spawns and you couldn't truly shape the world, but on every other level than that it was  a baby sandbox game.

This is pretty much spot on imo.  Darkfall : Unholy Wars needs a lot more sand to be a true sandbox game, however part of the whole point of re-making the entire game is so that Aventurine can actually add and modify things more easily.  They simply couldn't do a lot of what they wanted before due to technical limitations they didn't appreciate in the original game.  Rather than patching the original code to oblivion, they just started fresh which is both nearly unheard of but also absolutely the best way to go.

The one key feature that Darkfall 1.0 had which nearly no other MMO out there had or has with the exception of CCP's EVE Online, and which Unholy Wars will without a doubt have, is player-driven drama.   The importance of this cannot be underestimated.  Many games talk of the community creating content, and of players having a meaningful impact on both the game and the world - in Darkfall, you really could.  Sure all the players want a great deal more sandbox features to be able to modify the actual map (etc), but empires really did rise, go to war with other empires, and fall in flames to the sounds of cannons and conquoring armies.  

The simple question to ask is "could someone write a novel about thier adventures in this game?"  Typically the answer is "no", because in themepark games everything you do has already been written by someone else, there is little if anything remaining to write about.  In contrast, some events were so Shakespearean in Darkfall 1.0 that players in the community at one point actually queried whether it was a couple of GMs/Devs playing out a Shakespearean tragedy - but it wasn't, it was just two players, love and betrayal most foul wrapped up into the game and played out unscripted for all to see.  In themeparks someone writes such storylines, in Darkfall they simply happen as a consequence of the world's design and ruthless systems.

Yes darkfall needs more sand in the sandbox, but like EVE, over time this game will undoubtedly get more sand.  Will it ever have the freedom EVE does?  Maybe, but that would take nearly a decade.  But in the meantime, yes Darkfall Unholy Wars is definitely one to play.  Also remember that to see the big drama of the world you need to do something most games don't actively encourage - you need to talk to others in the game.  You can solo, do quests, and never interact with anyone, but then you would risk missing the drama.  So if you do try Darkfall, do yourself an incredible favour and say "hello" to people in the game rather than just trying to level up skills etc in the themepark way of gaming.  You will never meet your future friends or your dastardly nemesis if you treat everyone else like well-written NPCs :)

• LifeoleLifeole Member Posts: 8
    Hey WhisperXIII. I approve =)
  • attckdogattckdog Member Posts: 10
    Best thread eva, Good job with the pin!
  • XandrosXandros Member Posts: 27
    nice pile of info :)
  • RodirxRodirx Member UncommonPosts: 2
    nice info
  • contestcontest Member Posts: 7
    agree flute
  • CalvinAMiCalvinAMi Member Posts: 8
    I don't play DF anymore but I'll never forget the epic raids and seiges we had. Cerberus (Revenge Factory) against LoD = WEEKS of enjoyment and uber drama. Such fun!
  • corpusccorpusc Member UncommonPosts: 1,341
    Originally posted by Angier2758

It's still basically the same game.

that reveals your ignorance on the subject.  its actually way more different than it is the same.  especially the gameplay.

the things that are the same are mostly just world models/textures (except higher resolution versions), and SOME icons.

they even changed a lot of things that didn't need changing, that were good.  like monster sounds

---------------------------

Corpus Callosum    

---------------------------

• SamuraiXIVSamuraiXIV Member Posts: 354

I just bought Darkfall: Unholy Wars from steam for half price since I always wanted to try a real sandbox open world mmorpg. 

I know this game is a lot about PvP and my main interest in mmorpg is PvE but seeing how this game has completely real time, real action gameplay I do agree PvP should be all about skill and enjoyable. 

I will see you  soon online as I'm downloading at the moment.

"mmorpg.com forum admins are all TROLLS and losers in real life"
    My opinion

• StrangerousStrangerous Member Posts: 165

Shouldn't this thread be moved to the DF1 forums?

• IsilithTehrothIsilithTehroth Member RarePosts: 616

I was in Murderherd at launch vs the Coalition of the zerg(probably half the server) led by awful company; we got our poo pushed and lost our city. Best times in a game though; actually have to patroll your area for raiders and warparties. Then joined Children of time.

I did quit again when Dcuo came out and returned later on. DF:UW is bad; ruins almost everything that made darkfall great, except a few things like bunnyhopping and some exploits. They could have made DF1 truely something great and unique.

-------THINGS THAT MADE DF1 great

1) Fps combat

2)Full loot, drag and drop looting

3)Territory control; your own city or hamlet

4) Kill able and steal-able mounts

5)Ship, mount and warhulk battles

6)Great armor teir system with tangible worth in items

7)Huge battles, or small skirmishes anywhere, player driven conquest and betrayl

8) Player housing(Could have been a bit better tbh)

9)Mob drops were overall great, although a few could have given better rewards

10)Able to use any skills you want(some were overpowered like fireball), but needed a skill cap.

11) Limited resource nodes

12)Crafting system was redundant but it worked; could have been made better

13) Im sure there are more; I just can't think of them.

--------------NEGATIVES

1)No skill cap

2)Overpowered spells

3)Exploits

4)Not enough pvp hotspots

5)Needed more sandbox content

6)Grind

7)Graphics

8)Make housing similiar to SWG

9)Make crafting similar to SWG

10)Better PVE

11)More intricate territory system(Taxes for those living in your kingdown, ect)

MurderHerd

• RealbigdealRealbigdeal Member UncommonPosts: 1,666
    Originally posted by IsilithTehroth

--------------NEGATIVES

1)No skill cap

2)Overpowered spells

3)Exploits

6)Grind

7)Graphics

10)Better PVE

11)More intricate territory system(Taxes for those living in your kingdown, ect)

4) There was plenty of hotspots, just not enough players, but only few of them were contested all day like the rare golems. If villages count as hotspot, they fixed them when they made them give a reasonable  reward.

7) They fixed the grind at the very end.

7) This is what killed large scale combat for DF UW so with that fact in mind, the graphics of DF1 was as far as they should have gone.

C:\Users\FF\Desktop\spin move.gif

• kdchankdchan Member UncommonPosts: 79
    edited December 2015
    --------------NEGATIVES

1)No skill cap

2)Overpowered spells

3)Exploits

6)Grind

7)Graphics

10)Better PVE

Have you tried to read the Darkfall: New Dawn vision?
    They do weekly updates on what they will do to the game once the license deal is setted, and all these negative points you mention will be fixed.
    Expecially, their best selling point is the new slot skill system and related specializations that will remove the "everyone do everything" feeling, macroing and grinding, a sorta of skill cap.
    This will solve also the whole economy with loca banks, resources, and market places, and let people to become true crafters as a standalone playstyle unrelated to pvp.

You can ask them questions if you have doubts, and they will 100% reply, both on their forum and reddit.

DnD is the project i'm following atm, and i have high hopes that with their vision they can turn Darkfall from a oneside gankbox grindfest arena into a true sandbox like UO and EVE.

http://darkfallnewdawn.com/

https://www.reddit.com/r/Darkfall
    The nextgen sandbox
    Crowfall - LiF: MMO - Darkfall: New Dawn