Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dont come back yet: Cross Realm Zones (CRZ)

Comments

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072
    Originally posted by Nitth

Originally posted by Wicoa

Originally posted by Nitth Get over it. or are we not on the same page anymore? High player density+lag less+Seamless world - that is basic and true mmorpg components.
    You don't know what you are talking about, lag should never be a component of mmorpgs, wow has been relatively lag free till now, rift is relatively lag free, heck when I played tera for the box month and a high population guess what... that was lag free to. 

Maybe i wasnt clear.

Mmorpgs should strive for a:

1: high density player presence
    2: Be lagless in the face of high player density.
    3.Be a seamless open world

Get all those working together and you are on your way to the holy grail of mmorpgs.

This implementation is getting closer to that goal. (read positive addition)

What's the purpose of high player density if there's no group content? All it achieves is giving you a lot of competition in PvE, farming the same mobs and nodes from under your nose just to annoy the hell out of you. Awesome mmorpg logic you have there.

This implementation gives nothing but faceless nobodies against you in PvE from other servers. It's actually not even an open world anymore since the quest zones are now shared with a bunch of servers but your cities are instanced only to your servers population, fracturing the world into weird cross-dimensional pockets.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by Kuinn

This implementation gives nothing but faceless nobodies against you in PvE from other servers. It's actually not even an open world anymore since the quest zones are now shared with a bunch of servers but your cities are instanced only to your servers population, fracturing the world into weird cross-dimensional pockets.

i havent seen CRZ yet

but your description reminds me about how "open world" dungeon running w dungeon finders is

porting from instance to instance

• ForumPvPForumPvP Member Posts: 871

Originally posted by Nitth Get over it. or are we not on the same page anymore? High player density+lag less+Seamless world - that is basic and true mmorpg components.
    You don't know what you are talking about, lag should never be a component of mmorpgs, wow has been relatively lag free till now, rift is relatively lag free, heck when I played tera for the box month and a high population guess what... that was lag free to. 

Maybe i wasnt clear.

Mmorpgs should strive for a:

1: high density player presence
    2: Be lagless in the face of high player density.
    3.Be a seamless open world

Get all those working together and you are on your way to the holy grail of mmorpgs.

This implementation is getting closer to that goal. (read positive addition)

This implemention is getting closer to that goal RPG simulator v3.7

DM  - Hobgoblin is starting to attack

PlayerA -Starts casting a spell -> *interrupted*playerY spawned from other dimension and killed playerA,player Y left the game.

playerB - wtf?

playerA -im gonna hunt him down,fusk he is from 3rd dimension,well maybe he comes back soon.

Let's internet

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

What's the purpose of high player density if there's no group content? All it achieves is giving you a lot of competition in PvE, farming the same mobs and nodes from under your nose just to annoy the hell out of you. Awesome mmorpg logic you have there.
    Tberes used to be group content specificity but no longer. But your above post is flawed because it doest matter if there is group content,

Get out there find some friends and have fun doing some quests. That's what its all about. Nobody likes wandering around in an empty zone, Might aswel play a single player game and be done with it.

There's no problem with multiple servers helping 'drive' one 'home server'. face facts here the architecture has changed, but is still representative of an open world.

Through battle.net you can locate,play and keep in touch with any character you come accross in any component of the game. Im sure there is a few new technical issues with the new technology at hand but for the most part community can be maintained.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

Originally posted by ForumPvP

Maybe i wasnt clear. Mmorpgs should strive for a: 1: high density player presence 2: Be lagless in the face of high player density. 3.Be a seamless open world Get all those working together and you are on your way to the holy grail of mmorpgs. This implementation is getting closer to that goal. (read positive addition)

PlayerA -Starts casting a spell -> *interrupted*playerY spawned from other dimension and killed playerA,player Y left the game.

playerB - wtf?

playerA -im gonna hunt him down,fusk he is from 3rd dimension,well maybe he comes back soon.

What difference does it make if the player is spawned just because they are logging on?

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072

Tberes used to be group content specificity but no longer. But your above post is flawed because it doest matter if there is group content,

Get out there find some friends and have fun doing some quests. That's what its all about. Nobody likes wandering around in an empty zone, Might aswel play a single player game and be done with it.

If you group up for solo content with other-dimensional visitors that you cant even consistently hang out with, you're in a small minority. You just dont see random people grouping just to "hang out" in WoW even before this feature was implemented. It would be different story if Blizzard would not have removed all the group content from the open world, but now, what's the point? It's funny they should think that group content is not valid for a MMORPG to begin with.

Maybe i wasnt clear. Mmorpgs should strive for a: 1: high density player presence 2: Be lagless in the face of high player density. 3.Be a seamless open world Get all those working together and you are on your way to the holy grail of mmorpgs. This implementation is getting closer to that goal. (read positive addition)

playerB - wtf?

What difference does it make if the player is spawned just because they are logging on?

To you role playing means lots of unknown players from other servers around you,more unknown people around you means better role playing,i cant tell to you what is the difference because you cannot understand that because the way you think.

Let's internet

Originally posted by Kuinn What's the purpose of high player density if there's no group content? All it achieves is giving you a lot of competition in PvE, farming the same mobs and nodes from under your nose just to annoy the hell out of you. Awesome mmorpg logic you have there. Tberes used to be group content specificity but no longer. But your above post is flawed because it doest matter if there is group content,   Get out there find some friends and have fun doing some quests. That's what its all about. Nobody likes wandering around in an empty zone, Might aswel play a single player game and be done with it.   

If you group up for solo content with other-dimensional visitors that you cant even consistently hang out with, you're in a small minority. You just dont see random people grouping just to "hang out" in WoW even before this feature was implemented. It would be different story if Blizzard would not have removed all the group content from the open world, but now, what's the point? It's funny they should think that group content is not valid for a MMORPG to begin with.

Originally posted by ForumPvP Originally posted by Nitth   Originally posted by Wicoa Originally posted by Nitth Get over it. or are we not on the same page anymore? High player density+lag less+Seamless world - that is basic and true mmorpg components.
    This implemention is getting closer to that goal RPG simulator v3.7   DM  - Hobgoblin is starting to attack PlayerA -Starts casting a spell -> *interrupted*playerY spawned from other dimension and killed playerA,player Y left the game. playerB - wtf? playerA -im gonna hunt him down,fusk he is from 3rd dimension,well maybe he comes back soon.    
    To you role playing means lots of unknown players from other servers around you,more unknown people around you means better role playing,i cant tell to you what is the difference because you cannot understand that because the way you think.

How can it possibly be better to have empty zones, with the few potential players that could fill them can only come from your server?

ForumPvP: Massively multiplayer online role playing game - solo roleplaying games should be left to single player games. the reason mmorpgs are different is the potential to interact with 100's or 1000's of players globally.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

How can it possibly be better to have empty zones, with the few potential players that could fill them can only come from your server?

ForumPvP: Massively multiplayer online role playing game - solo roleplaying games should be left to single player games. the reason mmorpgs are different is the potential to interact with 100's or 1000's of players globally.

for the same reason i find cross server dungeon finders alienating

seeing players that ill probably never see again seems no better than a lobby game

mmos are supposed to be about community too

• Johnie-MarzJohnie-Marz Member UncommonPosts: 865
    Originally posted by Nadia

for the same reason i find cross server dungeon finders alienating

seeing players that ill probably never see again seems no better than a lobby game

mmos are supposed to be about community too

That would be true if there wasn't battle tags where you can friend people cross realms.

Originally posted by Kuinn What's the purpose of high player density if there's no group content? All it achieves is giving you a lot of competition in PvE, farming the same mobs and nodes from under your nose just to annoy the hell out of you. Awesome mmorpg logic you have there. Tberes used to be group content specificity but no longer. But your above post is flawed because it doest matter if there is group content,   Get out there find some friends and have fun doing some quests. That's what its all about. Nobody likes wandering around in an empty zone, Might aswel play a single player game and be done with it.   

Originally posted by ForumPvP Originally posted by Nitth   Originally posted by Wicoa Originally posted by Nitth Get over it. or are we not on the same page anymore? High player density+lag less+Seamless world - that is basic and true mmorpg components.
    This implemention is getting closer to that goal RPG simulator v3.7   DM  - Hobgoblin is starting to attack PlayerA -Starts casting a spell -> *interrupted*playerY spawned from other dimension and killed playerA,player Y left the game. playerB - wtf? playerA -im gonna hunt him down,fusk he is from 3rd dimension,well maybe he comes back soon.    

Like i said that you dont understand that and im not going to be you RPG mentor ,you need to ask someone else but i give you one example,not more , for example guilds ,yes theres guilds in MMOs ,when someone ganks for example me,i will hunt everybody on that persons guild down,no matter what level they are or what is their name or what they are doing,they are dead.But in your solo game vision its  not possible because those people comes from places where warrior cant follow.

Let's internet

• GreenishBlueGreenishBlue Member Posts: 263
    nice, those gankers in open world PvP servers...rejoice?

Like i said that you dont understand that and im not going to be you RPG mentor ,you need to ask someone else but i give you one example,not more , for example guilds ,yes theres guilds in MMOs ,when someone ganks for example me,i will hunt everybody on that persons guild down,no matter what level they are or what is their name or what they are doing,they are dead.But in your solo game vision its  not possible because those people comes from places where warrior cant follow.

Whatever man, If your content with these disputes consisting of '5 people in zone'

• KareliaKarelia Member Posts: 668

if you dont like gang or ganged then either go to a pve server or play gw2. they are all friends there. they jump in the world, sending kisses, zerg DE's. no1 gets hurt in the open world. its a friendly love game.

hell this is warcraft. this is how it suposed to be. this is how it was in the good old times. so if you want go to gw2. they also have nice legendary bows.

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/365281/page/1

• ghostfaeriesghostfaeries Member UncommonPosts: 89
    Originally posted by impacted1
    Originally posted by expresso
    Coming from my perspective the majority are negative very few positive, including from people I speak to ingame, in my guild and viewing the forums.

People will yell when they're not happy and say nothing when they are, a vocal loud minority on a forum is not an indication of the overall player base.

QFT

Before CRZ it was complaints about how the game seemed empty and they may as well play a single player RPG. After CRZ the game is too full.

truth. ^ people QQ'd because zones were empty and how it wasn't fun to quest there. blizz can't seem to please everyone and their grandma. CRZ is pretty cool of an idea for this kind of game... 

• Greymantle4Greymantle4 Member UncommonPosts: 809

Its a feature that is waste of resources.

First phasing is all over the place now in the 1-60 game. Half the time my wife and I couldn't even see each other as we level because of phasing.

Two : The content is so mind numbing easy now what is the point? 

Three: Just what wow needs more content that lets players be asses with zero accountability.

Blizzard really needs to get their new mmo out or bring back the A Team for Wow has been going down hill since they left. 

• Johnie-MarzJohnie-Marz Member UncommonPosts: 865
     I want to play an MMO but not with other peopel. Well... then play a single player game. 

Originally posted by Zeppelin4

First phasing is all over the place now in the 1-60 game. Half the time my wife and I couldn't even see each other as we level because of phasing.

Three: Just what wow needs more content that lets players be asses with zero accountability.

Blizzard really needs to get their new mmo out or bring back the A Team for Wow has been going down hill since they left. 

I don't support phasing but i do believe in this.

How would you hold another player accountable on a 'classic server'? you would track them down if they did you wrong? Then what? its either going to escalate or he/she will get a name change.

So are we really talking about revenge here?

--------------

The old days are gone. This is the way they are going forward.

• AcvivmAcvivm Member UncommonPosts: 323

I have yet to run into any "serious" problems with the implementation of CRZ, the only people that seem to be complaining the loudest are the so called "PvPers" who actually have to PvP now, on a PvP server (Who woulda thunk it ?!? image)  and people who don't want to compete with others to get their "precious" Time Lost Proto Drake. If anything CRZ is yet another fine example of "give people what they want, and they will complain anyway syndrome" with the Blizzard community.

I just finished up leveling my last alt before Pandaria hits and the entire time I was leveling in Storm Peaks it was nothing but whining and crying about how they will actually have to fight for their rare mounts and achievements now.....cry me a f**king river. CRZ solves what people have always complained about "dead zones with no players to fight or see" and now that they have it they continue to whine....please don't tell me any of us are actually shocked at this.

I play on a PvP server and I am absolutely overjoyed that I actually get a chance to fight against people again while doing dailies and leveling my toons. Before, I could have leveled all the way to 85 without a single enemy encounter, now I find myself looking over my shoulder everywhere I go and I haven't had to do that since the end of BC.

My response to people complaining about being ganked and having to "PvP" on a "PvP server" (obviously from people who joined PvP servers due to higher populations and not because of the PvP)

ITS TIME TO REROLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLl!!!!.

HEAVEN OR HELL
    Duel 1
    Lets ROCK!

• WicoaWicoa Member UncommonPosts: 1,637

I know of people cancelling all their family accounts and heading for other games.  Once you shake up the server world this much it will never be the same.

• Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662

I too find it strange that for years mmorpgs have been struggling with the issue of old top heavy games and how to get players back into old zones so new players or expansion pack players can feel some of that old magic/rush/excitement. Lo and behold Blizzard figures out a way to temp merge low pop zones for low level players with CRZ so they can experience what I did when I first started playing WoW and players are up in arms?!?

Really? Especially a PvP server where conflict was the whole reason for rolling on that type of server in the first place. Hmm it's like players don't remember the rush of 24 hour open world PvP we had back then with TM vs. SS. I will NEVER forget that experience as it was one of the truely greatest PvP experiences I had in WoW. So now that can happen yet again and people bitch? Sad....just sad.

And like others have stated, if you really are serious about making friends with others in the game why would you stop at a generic friend's list found in every other mmorpg? Why not commit and use your BattleTAG to stay in touch? Then you can do dungeon runs all the time together without a worry in the world and even play other BT games together.

You know currently I'm playing GW2 and they have this service called overflow servers where they pack players from different servers together when other players are logging in instead of having queues and I'm fine with that. Yes I understand that GW2 is structured around never partying up with fellow players for quest but what if I met someone on a overflow I rather enjoyed being in the company of? Oh that's right each play has a unique name attached so we can keep in contact even if we are from different servers...sounds familiar?

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

• WicoaWicoa Member UncommonPosts: 1,637
    Originally posted by Ramonski7

I too find it strange that for years mmorpgs have been struggling with the issue of old top heavy games and how to get players back into old zones so new players or expansion pack players can feel some of that old magic/rush/excitement. Lo and behold Blizzard figures out a way to temp merge low pop zones for low level players with CRZ so they can experience what I did when I first started playering WoW and players are up in arms?!?

Really? Especially a PvP server where conflict was the whole reason for rolling on that type of server in the first place. Hmm it's like players don't remember the rush of 24 hour open world PvP we had back then with TM vs. SS. I will NEVER forget that experience as it was one of the truely greatest PvP experiences I had in WoW. So now that can happen yet again and people bitch? Sad....just sad.

And like others have stated, if you really are serious about making friends with others in the game why would you stop at a generic friend's list found in every other mmorpg? Why not commit and use your BattleTAG to stay in touch? Then you can do dungeon runs all the time together without a worry in the world and even play other BT games together.

You know currently I'm playing GW2 and they have this service called overflow servers where they pack players from different servers together when other players are logging in instead of having queues and I'm fine with that. Yes I understand that GW2 is structured around never partying up with fellow players for quest but what if I met someone on a overflow I rather enjoyed being in the company of? Oh that's right each play has a unique name attached so we can keep in contact even if we are from different servers...sounds familiar?

First of all thank you for a consice and well written argument.  Instead of being just a caveman style basher.

To the point: Levelling zones are not social hang outs, people are there to get what they need done and move on.  Of all the places in the world to add crz for a "social" reason they add it to the levelling zones.  Why not the cities? where people stop and chat.

In fact if you are going to do this why not just merge all servers into one massive lobby (which I would hate) the reason is business, they want people to pay to move servers but yet you are not on your actual world server you carefully chose most of the time.

Its an illusion and not a great fix.

• Lazarus71Lazarus71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,081
    Originally posted by Ramonski7

I too find it strange that for years mmorpgs have been struggling with the issue of old top heavy games and how to get players back into old zones so new players or expansion pack players can feel some of that old magic/rush/excitement. Lo and behold Blizzard figures out a way to temp merge low pop zones for low level players with CRZ so they can experience what I did when I first started playing WoW and players are up in arms?!?

Very very well said. TM vs SS those were my greatest memories of WoW pvp at launch and after. If this brings that back in any way than I might actually have to resub.

No signature, I don't have a pen

• AzrileAzrile Member Posts: 2,582
    Originally posted by Bladestrom
    Good point above, if people don't group while levelling anyway, whats the point? It's an illusion.

It solves two important problems

1. World pvp on pvp servers -   there was none, because most pvp are low population to begin with, but then you throw in the fact that almost everyone is at max level.. and that just means leveling zones were empty.  This brings back pvp while leveling...  people who roll on a pvp server should enjoy this

2.  But the biggest reason is new players.  If you are a new player, from 1-80 often times feels like playing SWTOR... only slightly joking.. the fact is it is very easy to go many hours without seeing another player out in the world.   While, sure, maybe you don´t want to group with them, or have to group with them.. but it is still a ´good experience´ when you feel like the world is alive.

There are two major drawbacks ( besides a few bugs like fishing derby and Tol Borad which are being fixed)

1.  World pvp on pvp servers -  For the last several year, it has been ´understood´  that it is fairly easy to level on a pvp server without actually having to fight anyone.  Despite the fact that they are pvp servers, players have been under the assumption that pvp really only happens in the upper zones (cata zones).   This was even more abused by players who rolled on pvp servers that were dominated by one faction.  A lot of pvp servers have 5 to 1 ratios.. so you could safely play a horde on a server and never really get ganked.  With CRZ.. not only do you now have pvp the entire time you are leveling up.... but you also are much more likely to have balanced factions.   While both things are FAIR.. they aren´t what players have been used to.

2.  Crafting nodes and rare mobs -  I play on a low population server.. one of the nice things is that while leveling, I always get the exp boosts from killing a ton of rare spawns.  I also never worry about gathering professions because some zones have just crazy amount of herbs and ore.  Most of the time, you can´t finish zones without quests going grey.. also, usually you have ´grey´ nodes.   This is obviously not the way it was suppoed to work.   Does it suck for me now that I don´t kill a rare spawn every 5 mins?  sure.    I do think some of the complaints are overblown though.. It really isn´t that hard to get mats to level crafting skills.

I think the big thing about the ´complaints vs fans´  comment is that the group of players that benefit the most from this ( new players seeing a world that feels alive)  are the least likely type of players to post on the forums.

Once the bugs are worked out with Tol Borad and the fishing derby, this is really a non-issue... but I do pity the people who rolled on a pvp server expecting not to have to pvp... which is who I am seeing the most complaints from.

• AzrileAzrile Member Posts: 2,582

I know of people cancelling all their family accounts and heading for other games.  Once you shake up the server world this much it will never be the same.

I know of 10 families that joined because of this feature.    You still haven´t explained what was ´shaken´ up so much.  It really only affects very limited things.   People having to pvp on a pvp server?  People having to compete with other people for rare spawns?  Those things were always intended and are not major aspects of gameplay anyway.

But I am sure you know 20 familes that are quitting today becausse of this..... sure...