Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dont come back yet: Cross Realm Zones (CRZ)

WicoaWicoa Member UncommonPosts: 1,637

They have implemented a technology that allows 5 servers or more to share 1 zone.  So when you exit your city and enter the starter zone instead of being able to duel properly or gather at the main town with friends.  You will be placed in a zone with 5 other servers.

At the least trying to gather is very difficult low levels levelling their professions have no chance against the 85s of all the other servers.  At the most pvp gankers have ganged up together from different realms and are exploiting every weakness they can, right now you will not be able to level on a pvp server, you can forget it.  Griefers are causing mayhem.  There is also lag and the world is not seamless.

This has hurt low pop realms even more as they cant even produce things for their AH everything goes back to single server structure, including guilds.  So you can meet someone and make a friend and then never see them again.

I am against it, I think its a terrible feature. I advise anyone who wants to start  the game from scratch to stay away for a while with MOP about to launch the problems are going to be compounded.

I would like to add if this feature was in a group levelling game like city of heroes then it could possibly work well.  In a single player self sufficient levelling mmorpg it sucks balls.

This is going to make levelling a monk or your new panda class  the normal way a little tricky to say the least and gives those who have bought a 2nd account to grant levels an even better advantage which I find disgusting.

The forums have exploded in the US and EU regarding this. I am not hyperboling and I am not a special snowflake many people are upset, I want to carry on playing my game and hope they put in a feature to switch it off.

This post about this subject is on the MMORPG.com MOP forums http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/792/view/forums/thread/355733/CrossRealm-zones-Another-Blizzard-fail.html

My post is about warning folks, if I wanted to come back right now and I wasn't already subscribed I myself would like to be warned.

Instead of a "world" feeling you are forced into what seems like a bad asian f2p game that is instanced and you have no choice of your "world" server.  But you pay a subscription.

Comments

• KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286
    This feature is getting mixed reviews from the current playerbase. Blizzard recently stated that they will ensure that the servers will be of similar time zones, so that'll be a good change. Many players are enjoying the fact that there are other people around while in the lower level areas, but I'm seeing a lot of complaints from the pvp servers.
  • WicoaWicoa Member UncommonPosts: 1,637
    Coming from my perspective the majority are negative very few positive, including from people I speak to ingame, in my guild and viewing the forums.
  • SendenSenden Member UncommonPosts: 602
    Originally posted by Wicoa
    Coming from my perspective the majority are negative very few positive, including from people I speak to ingame, in my guild and viewing the forums.

People see what they want to see.. the opinion seems very much divided. Maybe it needs tweaking somewhat but god forbid an MMO developer trying to breathe new life into questing zones.

• WalterWhiteWalterWhite Member UncommonPosts: 411

I know a lot of people who are now quitting the game due to CRZ's for a multitude of reasons. The WoW General Discussion thread on the official forums is overspilling with negativity about it yet no official response from Blizzard yet.

On PvP realms it is a good idea but the PVE server population seem to hate it.

• expressoexpresso Member UncommonPosts: 2,218

People will yell when they're not happy and say nothing when they are, a vocal loud minority on a forum is not an indication of the overall player base.

• impacted1impacted1 Member Posts: 14
    Originally posted by expresso

People will yell when they're not happy and say nothing when they are, a vocal loud minority on a forum is not an indication of the overall player base.

QFT

Before CRZ it was complaints about how the game seemed empty and they may as well play a single player RPG. After CRZ the game is too full.

• SuperDonkSuperDonk Member UncommonPosts: 759

I agree, I fail to see how CRZ makes the game worse, if you want to play single player games, check out steam, usualy they have a few on sale.

If people are bitching about CRZ, either go to a PVE server, play SWTOR, or quit playing MMOs.

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    There is good and there is bad with this feature:

Good:

you see more people playing in a zone that you can Join with or pvp with.

What else?

Bad:

it doesn't solve the root cause of why zones are empty in the first place.

Your join up with someone and then you potentially never see them again.

You lose what little sense is left that your server is a cohesive community in a solid virtual world - immersion factor.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

In comparison to the gaming population sure its a minority but its the largest minority on the forum since Real ID I have seen.  With a now + 600 page thread on the US forums.  Though I can tell you on my server all of the people I speak to seem to be frustrated with it as well.

CRZ brings everything competitive into a populated zone with non of the benefits, just two examples: you cannot join a guild of a cross realmer, low population realms where the AH was already expensive will now be hiked through the roof.

I was happy till CRZ came along I even thought the Theramore event was just fine, I was looking forward to playing my monk and raiding with my guild.

This whole system should have been beta tested a shed load more with more positive features implemented, instead GCs vision hiked on us.

The biggest and worst fail of them all, this is what they put in instead of simple server merges which is the key solution to low populated realms and any other game seems to have done including rift and swtor (though Im not a fan of swtor).

FYI I am on a pve server and am so so so glad I am not on a pvp one. 

• expressoexpresso Member UncommonPosts: 2,218
    Originally posted by Bladestrom

Good:

What else?

Bad:

You lose what little sense is left that your server is a cohesive community in a solid virtual world - immersion factor.

Um, it does solve the root cause, the root cause is that the majority of players are at max cap, it's the new players and alt rollers in the low level zones but there just aint enough of them at any one time for a low level zone to feel populated.  CRZ sounds like a perfect fix.

• MurlockDanceMurlockDance Member Posts: 1,223

In comparison to the gaming population sure its a minority but its the largest minority on the forum since Real ID I have seen.  With a now + 600 page thread on the US forums.  Though I can tell you on my server all of the people I speak to seem to be frustrated with it as well.

CRZ brings everything competitive into a populated zone with non of the benefits, just two examples: you cannot join a guild of a cross realmer, low population realms where the AH was already expensive will now be hiked through the roof.

I was happy till CRZ came along I even thought the Theramore event was just fine, I was looking forward to playing my monk and raiding with my guild.

This whole system should have been beta tested a shed load more with more positive features implemented, instead GCs vision hiked on us.

The biggest and worst fail of them all, this is what they put in instead of simple server merges which is the key solution to low populated realms and any other game seems to have done including rift and swtor (though Im not a fan of swtor).

I guess I am on a relatively low-populated server cluster. I have not really seen that many people from other servers in the lower level zones, but I do play at off-peak hours since I am on the US servers as an EU player.

However, it has created lag for me. My ping has gone up since they have implemented this. Very annoying since I am in general laggier than the average US player anyway.

I have not noticed a change in AH prices. They are still very expensive.

Playing MUDs and MMOs since 1994.

The root cause is that levelling is nearly A mechanism to get to max level. CRZ pulls together the transient population together while they level, but it does not solve the problem of why the world population is so low in the first place, I.e if a game is designed to be most rewarding at max level then that's where people go.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Alts don't fill worlds in other words.

Originally posted by MurlockDance

I guess I am on a relatively low-populated server cluster. I have not really seen that many people from other servers in the lower level zones, but I do play at off-peak hours since I am on the US servers as an EU player.

However, it has created lag for me. My ping has gone up since they have implemented this. Very annoying since I am in general laggier than the average US player anyway.

I have not noticed a change in AH prices. They are still very expensive.

Not all servers have been included in the system yet, since you haven't seen anyone else yet you may not have either. Though your lag would indicate otherwise.

• Johnie-MarzJohnie-Marz Member UncommonPosts: 865

Good:

What else?

Bad:

Um, it does solve the root cause, the root cause is that the majority of players are at max cap, it's the new players and alt rollers in the low level zones but there just aint enough of them at any one time for a low level zone to feel populated.  CRZ sounds like a perfect fix.

I couldn't agree more. WoW is a very top heavy game, this addresses that problem.

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072

Good:

What else?

Bad:

Why do you even need other people in zones where there are no group content to begin with? Oh right, to make friends maybe or? ...oh wait, they're from other servers. This is like a feature that simply drops random nobodies from other realms to compete with you farming quest mobs, nodes, etc. Or did I miss something?

It doesn't solve the problem, it helps mitigate the symptoms of the problem. The fundemental issue is that alts fill the world, and when a player is on their main they ain't on their alt.

Good point above, if people don't group while levelling anyway, whats the point? It's an illusion.

• MurlockDanceMurlockDance Member Posts: 1,223

Not all servers have been included in the system yet, since you haven't seen anyone else yet you may not have either. Though your lag would indicate otherwise.

My server is clustered because I have seen a few people from other servers hanging around in low level areas. But it really has been just one or two people every now and then. The low level areas seem to be pretty much empty and have been for a long time.

Playing MUDs and MMOs since 1994.

Good point above, if people don't group while levelling anyway, whats the point? It's an illusion.

Exactly,  WoW is a solo quest fest, this is an illusion which is just annoying.  It may have existed but I never EVER saw a post asking to fix the issue by having more strangers to quest with from other servers.  What people have been crying out for is server mergers so they their end game experience is generally improved, those threads asked for nothing else.

I said before if this was a group heavy vertical experience climb then this feature would be a reasonable addition.

Blizzard are trying to put a square peg in a round hole thinking they fixed it.  They f'd up with this and they f'd up diablo 3 Im beginning not to be surprised anymore.

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Get over it.

or are we not on the same page anymore? High player density+lag less+Seamless world - that is basic and true mmorpg components.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

Releasing this feature now right before a major expansion is horrendous anyway, this needed more testing and discussion in a normal time frame.

Originally posted by Nitth

Get over it.

or are we not on the same page anymore? High player density+lag less+Seamless world - that is basic and true mmorpg components.

You don't know what you are talking about, lag should never be a component of mmorpgs, wow has been relatively lag free till now, rift is relatively lag free, heck when I played tera for the box month and a high population guess what... that was lag free to. 

Releasing this feature now right before a major expansion is horrendous anyway, this needed more testing and discussion in a normal time frame.

I don't believe that.

Is there major technical issues or you just don't like it?

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

Originally posted by Nitth Get over it. or are we not on the same page anymore? High player density+lag less+Seamless world - that is basic and true mmorpg components.
    You don't know what you are talking about, lag should never be a component of mmorpgs, wow has been relatively lag free till now, rift is relatively lag free, heck when I played tera for the box month and a high population guess what... that was lag free to. 

Maybe i wasnt clear.

Mmorpgs should strive for a:

1: high density player presence
    2: Be lagless in the face of high player density.
    3.Be a seamless open world

Get all those working together and you are on your way to the holy grail of mmorpgs.

This implementation is getting closer to that goal. (read positive addition)