Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Torchlight II v Diablo III

7star7star Member Posts: 405

Here is the Kotaku comparison.

http://kotaku.com/5943951/torchlight-ii-vs-diablo-iii-the-comparison-we-had-to-make

What do you think? How does TL2 stack up to D3 from your experience so far?

For me, I slightly prefer the D3 art style (less cartoony, darker) but I still like that of TL2m, which is starting to grow on me. I also like the D3 combat animations a bit better, but I am still only to level 5-6 on all four TL2 classes. Yes, I know it's still early.

But I really do love the options for offline and LAN modes in TL2. I also love the price point difference. I am having a lot of fun with TL2, so back to it now.

Comments

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,897

I want to wait a month or so to see how many people are still playing TL2.  I'm pretty close to buying it, but I have a feeling it won't last me as many hours as even D3 did.

That article was ridiculously biased, especially by the glow of a newly released game.

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916

That article is incredible biased. 

Torchlight 2 Pros

Offline singleplayer and lan support - for me this is irrelevant but it is a big deal for some people

Game is much more fast paced - you move super fast which is cool

Items - items look more impressive. They have a lot more stats on them, very similar to D2. I actually got 3 unique items and I am only like level 10. Drops are much more generous compared to Diablo 3. Not sure if that is very similar to D2. In D2 were fairly rare not so rare as in D3 but still rare.

You have pets and you can customise them.

Modding - I think this is the major appeal of the game. THey have a modding editor which will hopefully lead to tons of quality user created mods.

Randomisation of dungeons seems to be much better in TL2. 

You get to choose the difficulty from the start. No need for a snooze fest that was D3's normal and nightmare modes.

Cons

Horrible graphics even at maxed out graphics. D3 is simply much better in this regard.

Not very responsive - it is very responsive but D3 just feels a lot more responsive, your attacks feel more impactful in D3 too.

Local saves only - cheating, character editing, no real sense of PvP

Moot points

Skill trees and stat point allocation make a come back. Whether this actually gives you more choice is debatable. People will still pump their main stats. Dumping points into skills just feels like a +3 dmg, +3 dmg every other level. The tier bonuses are a nice touch. I like that D3's system gives more meanigful build choices. Runes have a very dramatic effect on a skill. 

Potion spam, Diablo 2 style. Again I am not so sure I prefer this to D3's system.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• ThraliaThralia Member Posts: 219
    can torchlight 2 sell 10m copies ?
  • itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951
    Originally posted by Thralia

you mean and then lose 6m players all at once? because that just happened you know. :)

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

Love the REAL talent of TL2 vs the talentless hacks at blizzard making everything shiny but not having much functionality.

that made the difference for me. :)

They probably won't break 1.5-2 million.  But this is just a stepping stone to their dream of a Torchlight MMO.  I think Lineage Eternal will beat them to the punch and will be a superior product.

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380
    Originally posted by FrodoFragins

They probably won't break 1.5-2 million.  But this is just a stepping stone to their dream of a Torchlight MMO.  I think Lineage Eternal will beat them to the punch and will be a superior product.

The quality does not always translate to popularity.  You do yourself a disservice if you only play the most popular title.

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,306
    Interesting: they show T2 doing absolutely everything better than D3. Interesting, indeed.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• TardcoreTardcore Member Posts: 2,325
    Originally posted by WhiteLantern
    Interesting: they show T2 doing absolutely everything better than D3. Interesting, indeed.

Well they must be . . .  well you know the rest.

"Gypsies, tramps, and thieves, we were called by the Admin of the site . . . "

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,306
    Originally posted by Tardcore
    Originally posted by WhiteLantern

Well they must be . . .  well you know the rest.

I can't believe you went there!

*shocked

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281
    Originally posted by itgrowls

you mean and then lose 6m players all at once? because that just happened you know. :)

Ok lets rephrase that can TL2 sell 4 million copies even to equal the 4 million remaining D3 players after  selling 10 million and losing 6 milliion?

• SeelinnikoiSeelinnikoi Member RarePosts: 1,360

I see...

So we can assume that Justin Bieber is the best thing that ever happened to the music industry surely.

Because I pretty much doubt that any band/musician has the number of his fans and popularity.

See how flawed your statement is ?

If you are a Star Wars fan, why not try the Star Wars The Old Republic?
    New players can get a welcome package and old/returning players can also get a welcome back package and 7 days free subscription time! Just click here to use my referral invitation
  • NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by fivoroth

Cons

D3, four months old,  doesnt even support PVP yet -- and no eta for 1.1 patch

regarding TL2 local saves, there will be no ranked ladders

• LethalJaxxLethalJaxx Member Posts: 105

Since TL2 doesn't have the major fault that D3 has, TL2 wins by default. To me, the major draw and addictive pleasure of arpg's, is that every kill could drop you an item that'll improve your character. TL2 does this very well. It drops stuff you can use right away, and stuff you put in your backpack which you WANT to level up for to use. As for D3.... well... everyone knows this by now... you get backpacks full of crap and once in a while an item you could potentially sell in the AH...  but never anything you would actually want to use.

The itemization is much better in TL2 as well. Every item type has a specific strenght and weakness, and it's the items that determine the build and strategy for a huge part. You could even use weapons that the class is not specifically designed for and still come out with a good build. D3 items are nothing but placeholders for stats

The only downside i find is the difficulty. While you're able to choose the difficulty from the start, even elite isn't particularly challenging (comparable to TL), at least in the beginning. Let's see how that plays out later on.

• blu_ice32blu_ice32 Member Posts: 4

I thought both games were good...

Good examples of how watered down and generic the genre has become.

I will be playing Path of Exile for  the forseable future.

The only aRPG that features non-instanced, shared dungeon, Full-Loot PVP servers...  *nerdgasm*

They also have carebear servers for the less brutal among us.

• LethalJaxxLethalJaxx Member Posts: 105
    Originally posted by winter

Ok lets rephrase that can TL2 sell 4 million copies even to equal the 4 million remaining D3 players after  selling 10 million and losing 6 milliion?

popularity =/= quality

What you should ask is, out of the people who buy TL2 and/or D3, what % of those buyers will feel happy with their purchase 2 months later. (these are not mmo's so it's irrelevant if people still play)

Originally posted by LethalJaxx
    Originally posted by winter

popularity =/= quality

What you should ask is, out of the people who buy TL2 and/or D3, what % of those buyers will feel happy with their purchase 2 months later. (these are not mmo's so it's irrelevant if people still play)

There's a HUGE caveat to that.  Everyone had HUGE expectations of D3 being a worthy successor to D2.

People buying TL2 just expect it to be better than TL1 which for me was a one week game.  It was fun for that week but had no longevity and didn't seem to sell much after the first week.

In the end, I'll judge it by (#hours played)/(dollars spent)

TL1 was (25 hours/$20)

D2+expac was (1000+ hours/$70-80)

D3 was (150hours/$60) but will grow if they get their act together

In the short term, TL2 could get me better value than D3, but that's unlikely.  Longterm I think D3 will be a greater value to me as I don't care about ARPG mods.  TL2 isn't the end goal by a long shot.  They really want a TL MMO and could fairly quickly move away from any further TL2 development.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    When designing Torchlight 2 the devs had 1 things on their white board.

1 Make a fun game

When designing diablo3 the devs had 2 things on their white board

1 maximize rmah earning potential
    2 make a fun game where it doesn't contravene rule 1

THAT us why TL3 Is a better game than D3. well that and by the sounds of it more people who made diablo 1 worked on torchlight 2 than diablo 3
  • timeraidertimeraider Member UncommonPosts: 865
    They did to much trouble while making D3. Playing TL2 almost whole days now and love it thoroughly
    Ashes of Creation Referral link - Help me to help you!
    https://ashesofcreation.com/r/Y4U3PQCASUPJ5SED
  • fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    Originally posted by Nadia
    Originally posted by fivoroth

Cons

D3, four months old,  doesnt even support PVP yet -- and no eta for 1.1 patch

regarding TL2 local saves, there will be no ranked ladders

True. But D3 will eventually get PvP. TL2's PvP is for lolz.

Also, in my opinion, TL2 will receive a very short cycle of development and there won't be as much developer support after the initial game. We might see an xpac but I don't think that likely. I think they will focus on their MMO. D3 has 2 expansions planned and Blizzard are quite committed to fix their game. Why? Because Diablo is one of their major IPs. It is worth a shitload and I think they would be stupid to let it all go to waste.

Anyways I am playing TL2 now and I am really enjoying. Also the price tag is crazy good. I know Runic want to make a TL MMO and I am quite happy for them and I really hope TL2 brings them enough money to make their MMO.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• GoldenArrowGoldenArrow Member UncommonPosts: 1,186

Only downside in TL2 is the lack of battle.net type closed server system.

The game is more of a single-player/friends game instead of a full fledged MMO.

Which is a real shame ;(

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by GoldenArrow

Only downside in TL2 is the lack of battle.net type closed server system.

The game is more of a single-player/friends game instead of a full fledged MMO.

Which is a real shame ;(

D3 is not an MMO either.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    I think Runic have shelved their plans for a mmo and started working on something else.

Read some article somewhere where they were on about mmo market being saturated and unless they get a very original mmo idea they won't bother.
  • MurlockDanceMurlockDance Member Posts: 1,223

I absolutely love this game: it has totally surpassed the expectations I had for it, and I had high ones coming off of TL1 which I love and still play. I am very very happy with TL2!

So far, I have not found one thing wrong with TL2, and I am pretty picky about my games. It is very close to being perfect in my eyes. Well done Runic!

So two great games now: GW2 and TL2, and soon MoP.

Not that D3 is horrible, I think it has the systems in place to make it even better than D2, but its current big downsides are just a bit too big for me atm (always online play, the AH system, item drops, several irritating aspects like hitching when I enter a new zone, account target for hackers, etc.).

The D3 ability/rune system was fun though I did like that, and the constant fear of getting ambushed, which really hurt in higher difficulties. The story-telling aspect is also interesting and the random events each time you load up a zone are fun.

That game does have its good sides, so I really hope that with future patches it will become less flawed and that I will play it soon again.

Playing MUDs and MMOs since 1994.

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    I think Diablo is ok but not brilliant, and I am interested in tl2, so this review interested me, but i could not make head nor tail of how good the game was due to the bias. E.g. The story in tl2 is a mess but it's ok because the Diablo story is worse?! As I said I'm no super Diablo fan, but my 5 year old daughter coul understand the story in Diablo.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D