Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

First!

XAleX360XAleX360 Member UncommonPosts: 516
This title seems very promising. Graphics certainly is amazing, and combat seems nice. However, I'd like to know more about these sandbox features; I feel that there is still much to be explored in the sandbox genre,

Executive Editor (Games) http://www.wccftech.com

Comments

• IchmenIchmen Member UncommonPosts: 1,228

im aprehensive about this title, so more info is needed.. more so the fact they list it like this

"Theralon, in development by Infernum Productions, is a free-form Sandbox MMORPG based on the CryEngine 3 from Crytek. It will both be a standalone client, and something players can run in their browser when on the go"

a game using cry 3 that works in browsers sounds weird.. my understanding of cry3 is that it uses a lot of system resources soo how exactly will that work in a browser @_@ not like this is unity eng or something more flash based :/

• XAleX360XAleX360 Member UncommonPosts: 516
    Originally posted by Ichmen

im aprehensive about this title, so more info is needed.. more so the fact they list it like this

"Theralon, in development by Infernum Productions, is a free-form Sandbox MMORPG based on the CryEngine 3 from Crytek. It will both be a standalone client, and something players can run in their browser when on the go"

a game using cry 3 that works in browsers sounds weird.. my understanding of cry3 is that it uses a lot of system resources soo how exactly will that work in a browser @_@ not like this is unity eng or something more flash based :/

Browser is just a lightweight means to deliver the game to a bigger audience, but if you want you can download the client and enjoy the game normally.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    was interested at the bit where it said sandbox.. but.. game can be played in a browser..  it sounds more like its aimed at the smartphone market tbh, and there is nothing really backing up the whole sandbox thing anyway, half expect to see yet another level based themepark. image
  • QuicklyScottQuicklyScott Member Posts: 433
    The graphics were cool, but it looked like what WoW 2.0 would look like, not like that's bad.  Some of the buildings in the screen shots could have been taking directly from Stormwind/ Elwynn Forest.

Originally posted by XAleX360

Browser is just a lightweight means to deliver the game to a bigger audience, but if you want you can download the client and enjoy the game normally.

yes but they state it uses cry3 which really wouldnt work in a browser... so how exactly would this run in a browers on the move while using cry3??? that sounds weird.  if it was unity or something it would make sense but i have never heard of any browser having the power to run a cry3 program :/ i dont even think a laptop would handle cry3 (that doesnt cost an insane amount of cash)

yes but they state it uses cry3 which really wouldnt work in a browser... so how exactly would this run in a browers on the move while using cry3??? that sounds weird.  if it was unity or something it would make sense but i have never heard of any browser having the power to run a cry3 program :/ i dont even think a laptop would handle cry3 (that doesnt cost an insane amount of cash)

This is incorrect.

"But while CryEngine is known best for its sharp visuals and ability to handle large environments, Carl Jones, director of global business development at Crytek, said emerging business models (free-to-play) and new platforms (browsers and mobile) are driving CryEngine's evolution as not only a tool to make photo-realistic games, but also as an engine that's a service.

We're looking at getting CryEngine more online, looking at browsers, looking at trying to unify experiences on various online platforms, using browser tech, and looking at ancillary things in online games, like in-game shopping, buying items, and making that as easy as possible -- good lobby support and that kind of thing.

Back to the browser initiative. Is Warface [Crytek's free-to-play FPS] in a browser?

It's running at the moment on a client-server. With the browser technology we have, we could [runWarface]. We can certainly see the engine running, we can connect a lot of game systems in through the browser. But right now we don't have the appropriate platform to deliver it. Client-based, plug-in based, is where we are today. We are looking for ways around that. The options are out there, but none of them are right.

Flash is one way, Native Client is one way, HTML5 is another way. No one of the three does everything you need. So there's a kind of wait and see process, but there's also some technology we're working on ourselves that hopefully solves that problem.

How far are you from a public CryEngine 3 in a browser?

Well, we can give the early technology out to developers right now, but we wouldn't see that used to release a game right now. But certainly we can show developers how we see it, how we approach it, and how we use it as a testing platform. We can do that right now.

It's always difficult to say when it'll be done, because we like to finish things when they're quality-finished, not time-finished. So I don't know. I would hope towards the end of this year, people can start seeing browser-based CryEngine games, but we'll see. There are other things that will have to happen first."

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/166004/CryEngines_roadmap_reflects_game_industry_realities.php#.UGWL8k0mS3o

This was in March. As you can see, this tech absolutely exists thanks to development by Crytek. You have to remember that CryEngine 3 is much more flexible than the previous iterations, as it was designed first and foremost to bring the engine to consoles and then possibly to browsers and mobile as well, since these platforms are likely the future of gaming.

interesting i was not aware of the crys advancements. but im still going to be apprehensive about a mmo using cry3 that runs in a browser. hopefully they pull it off, will most likely give it a try and see. the only games that worked sorta in a browser i have seen either use flash/java or unity  and those dont really use alot of polys half the time, or are voxal. 
    Well, it is true that in the past browser games were limited, but there have been substantial advancements lately. Look at the Game of Thrones MMO, it has far better graphics than the average browser game. Unity is having a smashing success in the industry, and ultimately you could always choose for the client-server configuration.

• DAS1337DAS1337 Member UncommonPosts: 2,610

I can't handle that I'm about to type this, because I hate when it's used.  But...

This game looks like WoW.  No, I realize that Cryengine is far more realistic.  What I'm talking about though is the art direction. The buildings, the characters, the weapons.  From the few screenshots available on their website, the art direction is shockingly similar.  It just looks like a 2013 rendition of the style.

This is by no means a knock.  It was just a suprise to see a sandbox that didn't look super gritty, unpolished and uninspired graphically.  I will follow this, but I have to see a lot more.  

Originally posted by DAS1337

I can't handle that I'm about to type this, because I hate when it's used.  But...

This game looks like WoW.  No, I realize that Cryengine is far more realistic.  What I'm talking about though is the art direction. The buildings, the characters, the weapons.  From the few screenshots available on their website, the art direction is shockingly similar.  It just looks like a 2013 rendition of the style.

This is by no means a knock.  It was just a suprise to see a sandbox that didn't look super gritty, unpolished and uninspired graphically.  I will follow this, but I have to see a lot more.  

It is similar, no doubt about it. But it's also similar to a less known game, The Chronicles of Spellborn, which many developers now on Theralon have worked on in the past. 

Anyway, as you said, there would be nothing wrong with a 2013, more realistic, Cry Engine 3 powered version of WoW's graphics. If they couple that with proper sandbox gameplay, it could actually be a smashing hit.

• DAS1337DAS1337 Member UncommonPosts: 2,610
    Originally posted by DAS1337

It is similar, no doubt about it. But it's also similar to a less known game, The Chronicles of Spellborn, which many developers now on Theralon have worked on in the past. 

Anyway, as you said, there would be nothing wrong with a 2013, more realistic, Cry Engine 3 powered version of WoW's graphics. If they couple that with proper sandbox gameplay, it could actually be a smashing hit.

I can see that.  I nearly forgot about CoS.  Too bad it didn't get off the ground, seemed like a unique setting.

• XodenXoden Member Posts: 10

From my understanding, the browser version that Infernum were showing at GamesCom was mostly a tech demo to demonstrate that the technology showing Theralon functioning properly in an internet browser. It was by no means the main focus point of the game, and they also communicated that Theralon is being developed as a standalone client version, too.

www.