Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

1.2 - a complete disaster

cptndunselcptndunsel Member UncommonPosts: 136

The 1.2 release, delayed for weeks, has gone out. Check the TSW official forums for feedback on this release. The "bugs/problems" thread is already 12 pages long and reads like something from a Beta release game.

1. New memory leaks
  2. New content not working
  3. Items claimed "fixed" are still broken
  4. Exploits are still working (reap&sow)
  5. The list is really to long to post here.
The loss of much of the QA dept at Funcom due to layoffs has apparently had a major impact.

I was on beta, played from early start through Sept, finished the game, and decided not to sub waiting to see how the monthly content drop model would work. Apparently this model is not going to work given 1.3 will now almost certainly be delayed due to 1.2 delays and due to all the new bugs.

How many active players will still be playing TSW when 1.3 does come out?

Comments

• Ambros123Ambros123 Member Posts: 877
    Sounds like any major patch/expansion tbh.  DDO always has a long list of bugs and Turbine tends to break more than they fix.  Hopefully FC does better in timeliness than Turbine when it comes to fixing things. 
  • ScivaSciva Member UncommonPosts: 298
    Originally posted by Ambros123
    Sounds like any major patch/expansion tbh.  DDO always has a long list of bugs and Turbine tends to break more than they fix.  Hopefully FC does better in timeliness than Turbine when it comes to fixing things. 

"Sounds like any major patch/expansion" is no excuse for sloppyness.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

Hmm that's not what the official forums say. Take a look.

http://forums.thesecretworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    no big patch ever gets enough testing just how it is.. games don't force anyone to try out new stuff on test forums.. you get a small loyal base of testers and internal testers.. once those patches go live like anything else more people who play more problems will arise.. what really holds things back is how game breaking bugs may be and how fast they are fixed by the devs.. Has been like this since MMOs started and will continue well into the future.

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• halflife25halflife25 Member Posts: 737
    Originally posted by Sciva

Well i suggest stop playing MMOS then or even single player games because bugs and broken patches will always be there. MMOS are getting more and more complex in coding with time so there will never be a fool proof system to avoid last minute troubles.

No dev intentionaly releases bugs, try working in a video game industry and you will understand that it is easier to crticise from the sidelines. I quit my job in gaming industry because i couldn't take the pressure anymore. Believe it or not but all these people are very passionate about their work and last think they want is broken content deliveries to un forgiving playerbase who would rip them apart.

It is the most thankless job in the world and amount of abuse you take is just mind blowing.

• Ambros123Ambros123 Member Posts: 877

And just because a patch/expansion has it's fair share of tweaks and bugs is no excuse for flaming said game like the OP is doing.  And really bugs and exploits are all part of the nature of new features/content in an MMO or any game for that matter.  Show where there is a flawless delivery.

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935
    Originally posted by halflife25

Well i suggest stop playing MMOS then or even single player games because bugs and broken patches will always be there. MMOS are getting more and more complex in coding with time so there will never be a fool proof system to avoid last minute troubles.

No dev intentionaly releases bugs, try working in a video game industry and you will understand that it is easier to crticise from the sidelines. I quit my job in gaming industry because i couldn't take the pressure anymore. Believe it or not but all these people are very passionate about their work and last think they want is broken content deliveries to un forgiving playerbase who would rip them apart.

It is the most thankless job in the world and amount of abuse you take is just mind blowing.

How dare the OP even suggest a bug free patch!  It is the norm and this is the way it must be!!

/sarcasm_off

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by bcbully
    Hmm that's not what the official forums say. Take a look.http://forums.thesecretworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7

That's 12 pages of feedback, not a 12 page complaint thread. Now certainly, there are complaints, but there are also compliments. Many of the posts contradict each other. One post complains of crashes, the other doesn't have any crashes, and notes some improvements in textures and such.

Much more information is needed to determine the state of the patch.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• halflife25halflife25 Member Posts: 737
    Originally posted by grimal

How dare the OP even suggest a bug free patch!  It is the norm and this is the way it must be!!

/sarcasm_off

And wooooshhhh!!

• cptndunselcptndunsel Member UncommonPosts: 136

And just because a patch/expansion has it's fair share of tweaks and bugs is no excuse for flaming said game like the OP is doing.  And really bugs and exploits are all part of the nature of new features/content in an MMO or any game for that matter.  Show where there is a flawless delivery.

It was not a flame. I cared enough about the game to beta test it and buy pre-release. Then I played the entire game through, not skipping cut scenes or using cheats like looking up solutions on the net. I lived with all the bugs. My hope was 1.2 would fix issues and add enough content to make it worth buying a month and seeing where it went.  But thats not going to happen when a company lays off a lot of the ppl responsible for the game then blows a major release everyone is waiting for.

Not a flame - a fact.

The tip of the iceberg can be seen here:

http://forums.thesecretworld.com/showthread.php?t=58424

Elementry things they teach you in software development 101 to avoid - memory leaks and page faults for example - are found in multiple places in the game.

I honestly don't see how the game can survive aside from the lifetime sub buyers and the handful of die hard players who will never leave it. Best guess - F2P by xmas latest.

• cptndunselcptndunsel Member UncommonPosts: 136
    Originally posted by lizardbones

Originally posted by bcbully
    Hmm that's not what the official forums say. Take a look.

http://forums.thesecretworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7

That's 12 pages of feedback, not a 12 page complaint thread. Now certainly, there are complaints, but there are also compliments. Many of the posts contradict each other. One post complains of crashes, the other doesn't have any crashes, and notes some improvements in textures and such.

Much more information is needed to determine the state of the patch.

The forum mods have asked people to post their issues to the single thread I just posted in my prior email - some people are not following this advice but they risk having their postings deleted or moved into the consolidated thread. From what I read on the forums the moderators are under instruction to take this action,

If you have ever played the game and watched computer resource usage stats you know the game is very resource intensive. 32 bit systems can barely play it and will be hit the fastest by memory leaks. 64 bit system play had been pretty stable on 1.1.3 but the memory leaks were there - its just that you'd need to play 3-4 hrs without break before you'd see your computer start to signal it had issues (like FPS drop off). Saavy players logged at this point to clear their caches and played on, so they would not be reporting leaks.

1.2 has intro'd more memory leaks along with page faults so now the 64 bit players are also seeing crashes.

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063

I don't envy anyone trying to work in the video game industry with today's bunch of kiddies. If this was the 80s, they would be trashing Dig Dug and Qbert  for being Pac-Man clones. 

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• Kaelano1Kaelano1 Member Posts: 375

In the 80s there were pac-man clones, but neither dig-dug nor qbert were those.

I'm having no problems, but then again, I completed every zone before transylvania..every mission, every lore, every dungeon...without any of the issues they patched.

That said, the game experience is going to be different for different people for a number of reasons. The first is going to be mods... I don't use any. Another issue is the very recent release of drivers. I haven't updated mine, because I can't yet, because I playtest other games and they tell me when I can for system integration and compatibility testing. That said, my "old drivers" work fine. THEN there are the percentage of errors that occur in coding. THEN there is a small percentage of error on the users part 1 .

It's alot like software upgrades for PCs over macs. There's so much for which they must account many users will invariably encounter problems. It's not a good situation but it's understandable. The measure isn't "falling down". The measure is "getting back up".

I am not a software designer nor do my opinions specifically represent a specific software designer's opinions. In many cases, however, and you must admit this, cases of reported bugs are user error; conflicting software/module use, ill-maintained hardware, etc. I tend to take them seriously because I'm in a position to believe the best about people. I don't envy the person who has the job to sift through the "real issues" vs. the "contrived" or "mistaken".

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903
    They are in big trouble.  The layoffs kill their development and testing cycle.  But they promised regular updates.  Hopefully they learn that it's better to test and delay updates than release buggy ones on schedule.
  • ChtugaChtuga Member UncommonPosts: 116

So far the patch seems good to me

There are a few bugs, most annoying is a memory leak and I know a few that got bluescreen from some nvidia cards. Rollback to older driver seem to solve it, and Its not really clear if this is a nvidia problem/bug, or bad code from Funcom.

The new nightmares are great

Lairs seem great

more people pvp

• ZikariZikari Member Posts: 78
    Game GW2 a break yesterday to give the patch a go and I am generally happy. The new face and hair options are great and the one investigation mission I did was working fine, it was great fun as well. The new Group finder tool seems functional but still a bit clunky. So far so good and yes, it's a 12 page feedback thread on the officail forum, not 12 pages of pcomplaints...
  • JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965

No, but it's the reality! 

SOE always screws up with their Game Updates in EverQuest 2. You should have seen the complaint threads over there after each update! lol.

Same for Turbine.... god how many times I have seen where they had to shut down entire dungeon instances and left them closed for months before fixing them, due to introduced exploits/bugs! Terrible.

Yet people still kept playing tho.

I have played a couple hours last night and had no lag issues, nor memory leak issues and finished one of the new missions (Digging Deeper) just fine.

But I can understand that some people are still running old PC's with not much RAM that are more sensitive/subjective to introduced memory leaks.

To call this patch a big failure is a bit far fetched!  It's a great patch and I love it so far!

If I still feel like logging in to TSW instead of Guild Wars 2 (which I already got bored of after one week), then Funcom is doing something right! At least for me. :-)

• RaysheRayshe Member UncommonPosts: 1,279

Funny enough. Funcom has seen the problems and is hotfixing it on the 20th. which is the far far away time of later today.

also Every quest released has worked perfectly fine for me.

I have not crashed due to Memory related instances.

Haven't seen the broken items yet. and ive played though all the content up to NM Hells Fallen

Reap & sow wasn't announced as fixed so your bitching is really pointless on this.

a minor mess-up, sure. a complete disaster. a little over the top you think.

Also i find it hard to take credibility from somone who made a account so they could bitch about a game.

Because i can.
    I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.
    Logic every gamers worst enemy.

Driver updates can cause a worse problem than any game update could. I remember a couple notorious ones years ago that actually "blew up" peoples' cards. Bad deal.

edit: one recent example http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Nvidia-196.75-drivers-over-heating,9802.html

• fallenlordsfallenlords Member UncommonPosts: 683
    The complacency amongst MMO fans that things like this are just acceptable, even to be expected, is why it continues to happen.   The developer has no reason to change or test properly.  They just release, utilise the current user base as testers then cherry pick which bugs to fix   Just hope that a bug that impacts on your experience is one of those bugs, if not it becomes a feature of the game.
    Originally posted by fallenlords
    The complacency amongst MMO fans that things like this are just acceptable, even to be expected, is why it continues to happen.   The developer has no reason to change or test properly.  They just release, utilise the current user base as testers then cherry pick which bugs to fix   Just hope that a bug that impacts on your experience is one of those bugs, if not it becomes a feature of the game.

There is a pts. You should show people how it's done.

• fallenlordsfallenlords Member UncommonPosts: 683
    Originally posted by Kaelano1
    Originally posted by fallenlords

There is a pts. You should show people how it's done.

Not being bothered about the inevitable demise of TSW and possibly Funcom.  I would not consider giving any pointers on how as a consumer you should express your rights.  To me this is pure comedy and I am enjoying the show from the sidelines.   But I think it raises a long standing issue, there is a general lack of consensus and support for anybody having any sort of a problem unless if ultimately effects you.  There is no community when problems happen to other people.   Working on that logic, a company like Funcom will ignore anything but the most serious bug.  Ironically all the power is in the hands of the consumer but having no community,in a game that is all about it, means they treat you however they please.

• OpapanaxOpapanax Member Posts: 973

If you didn't think there would be some bugs and broken pieces to the patch you're fooling yourself. It's to be expected in just about every MMO / Game when trying to change things that there will be problems. It's not really our place to accept it as consumers because we should expect a working product when handing over our monies.

We just have to be aware that these issues may very well show their faces. It's sucks that TSW is in this phase but give them sometimes to catch up on all fronts. Layoffs and what-nots to see where they will land on a regular basis under "normal" circumstances.

The game is still fairly new on the release market.

PM before you report at least or you could just block.

• Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361
    Originally posted by cptndunsel

The 1.2 release, delayed for weeks, has gone out. Check the TSW official forums for feedback on this release. The "bugs/problems" thread is already 12 pages long and reads like something from a Beta release game.

1. New memory leaks
    2. New content not working
    3. Items claimed "fixed" are still broken
    4. Exploits are still working (reap&sow)
    5. The list is really to long to post here.
    The loss of much of the QA dept at Funcom due to layoffs has apparently had a major impact.

I was on beta, played from early start through Sept, finished the game, and decided not to sub waiting to see how the monthly content drop model would work. Apparently this model is not going to work given 1.3 will now almost certainly be delayed due to 1.2 delays and due to all the new bugs.

How many active players will still be playing TSW when 1.3 does come out?

I agreed with OP , last patch is huge disaster ,prolly it ll kill game.

TSW is great ,impressive MMORPG,played without trouble  since early acces,now I got randomly crashes , game is unplayable

TSW is  ok as MMORPG but now as software is crap...F%CK YOU FUNCOM !!!!!!

edit 22.9. ; They fixed game,working fine ,now ,I was frustrated last few days...sry fc