Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is Blizzard just that damn good, or are the rest of the developers just that bad?

Comments

• Germaximus_SGermaximus_S Member UncommonPosts: 1,061

Blizzard is definitely that good. However they did already have a very large following from previous games to bring players into the World of Warcraft world. The game was sold before it was even released because it was by Blizzard.

Its an extremely quality game and has an incredible amount of content.

The problem for the rest of these games like Rift and The Secret World and so on is that they didnt have a following. SWTOR was huge because Bioware had a very large following. The problem there is most people dont want to just play another WoW style game. I cant imagine most WoW players straight up quitting WoW for SWTOR, trying SWTOR yeah but if you played a game like WoW for a long time and then SWTOR comes out and doesnt really offer anything new or different other than being Star Wars the players coming from other games like WoW likely wont stay, especially if theyre like msyelf that quit playing WoW simply after getting tired of it.

I love SWTOR but im tired of the gameplay. I'll definitely return if it goes F2P just to play casually and enjoy its awesomeness.

I think of it kind of the same as the players who will play Battlefield or CoD. A lot of players choose one or the other, some play both. Either way people will have a preference on which theyd rather play more of. Both games are very similar but theyre different enough to pick one over the other.

WoW has always adapted and changed with the times, theres always fresh content and its just going to be overwhelming for any other company making an mmorpg just like it.

SWTOR should be happy with themselves that they sold so many copies and did a really good job. WoW was kind of the first of its kind in it being the first MMORPG intended for casual players while also having tons for the hardcore players. The biggest thing it has always had tho was a way to play it casually and be rewarded for it.

Things have definitely gone downhill with Blizzard since Activision joined in (opinion of course)  but theres also been a ton of good changes for it too. WoW is all around an incredible full game when it comes down to it and offering a game just like it with less content is definitely not going to beat it outright.

Jeremiah 8:21 I weep for the hurt of my people; I stand amazed, silent, dumb with grief.
    Join me on Twitch Facebook Twitter 

• lifeordinarylifeordinary Member Posts: 646
    Originally posted by Eir_S
    Also, you could have added a "View Results" option.  You're just forcing people who want to see the results to kiss Blizzard's ass.

What? you can also vote for 'others are that bad' implying Blizzard isn't all that. If all you want to do is see reults. You people do drama for nothing.

• RaysheRayshe Member UncommonPosts: 1,279

you can put this into the terms of a race.

You give a runner a head start then its competitors will need to be extremely faster than them in order to outrun the person who got the head start.

Takeing WoW and putting it beside any recently released MMO and comparing it is literally doing the same thing.

NO game can compete with WoW on Content. Its not possible, its not because Blizzard are these amazing devs who put out this amazing game. its because the game came out YEARS ago.

You cant compete with it for dedication because people have been playing it for so long it has become part of their daily ritual.

Population because of time is the same aswell.

Literally the only reason WoW is as big as it still is, is because of TIME.

Because i can.
    I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.
    Logic every gamers worst enemy.

• lifeordinarylifeordinary Member Posts: 646
    Originally posted by Rayshe

you can put this into the terms of a race.

You give a runner a head start then its competitors will need to be extremely faster than them in order to outrun the person who got the head start.

Takeing WoW and putting it beside any recently released MMO and comparing it is literally doing the same thing.

NO game can compete with WoW on Content. Its not possible, its not because Blizzard are these amazing devs who put out this amazing game. its because the game came out YEARS ago.

You cant compete with it for dedication because people have been playing it for so long it has become part of their daily ritual.

Population because of time is the same aswell.

Literally the only reason WoW is as big as it still is, is because of TIME.

That is just not true. What  about games like EQ2? it has even more content than WOW. What about FFXI? it can compete with WOW in content any day.

So nope it is not just about the content. WOW has been beating MMOS to pulp for 8 years now because the game is actually loads of fun. Yes it is that simple.

• dumbo11dumbo11 Member Posts: 134

People play WoW because they don't want to leave (the game/their friends/their characters).

If those players aren't looking for a new game, then it doesn't matter what new games appear - they won't leave wow.

---

The Blizzard devs are good at catering to their player base, but Blizzard itself is a shadow of the company(ies) it used to be.  The awe-inspiring name responsible for diablo, warcraft, starcraft and wow - now relegated to sequels/expansions that lack any of the creativity shown in those titles.  It's like the entire company is in 'MMO maintenance mode' - churning out expansions that fit their existing customers, rather than looking for new ideas and innovations.

• bunnyhopperbunnyhopper Member CommonPosts: 2,751
    Originally posted by bcbully

With that said, how is it possible that Blizzard can take this old game with an older engine and probably sell more copies of it's 4th expansion than GW2, SwTOR, TSW and RIFT combined?!

I'd say it is pretty obvious. Neither.

It is one thing to sell an expansion to an already existing consumerbase which already has (or has had at some point) a direct investment in your product. It is quite another to try and prise customers away from another product, or new customers into the genre by selling them a completely new product.

Comparing straight up new game sales and expansion sales to pre-existing customers is an odd one to say the least. If you are going to go on a metric of expansion sales it should be done as a percentage as sales against recent customers of the main line product.

"Come and have a look at what you could have won."

• loulakiloulaki Member UncommonPosts: 944

Let me start by sayin I played WoW for five years, with an embarrassing amout of time  /played on just my main not to mention my 8 alts. I stopped playing about a year and a half ago, and have no plans to go back. WoW is dated, and was taken in a direction that I could not agree with. Which brought a level of distrust for Blizzard that hasn't eased yet. 

With that said, how is it possible that Blizzard can take this old game with an older engine and probably sell more copies of it's 4th expansion than GW2, SwTOR, TSW and RIFT combined?! What does this say about the rest of the developers out there? How is it that Blizzard can make a game where millions of people play for years and these other developers can't make a game where most people want to play 6 months?  To be far I did play RIFT for ten months. I tip my hat to the TRION team, but that's a far cry from years. 

So which one is it? Blizzard is that good, or does the rest of the industry suck that bad? It's either more of one or the other.

edit - and an "e" to the "on" in the pole....

you should add some options like "has the blizzard just awesome advertising?"

also "are the people nowdays lazy geeks and choose the noobfriendly WoW?"

that game sucks i never paid a cent for that game and i am not blizzard hater, i enjoy Starcraft II, and i had spenc tons of my time with Warcraft III ..!

• YakkinYakkin Member Posts: 919
    Originally posted by dumbo11

The Blizzard devs are good at catering to their player base, but Blizzard itself is a shadow of the company(ies) it used to be.  The awe-inspiring name responsible for diablo, warcraft, starcraft and wow - now relegated to sequels/expansions that lack any of the creativity shown in those titles.  It's like the entire company is in 'MMO maintenance mode' - churning out expansions that fit their existing customers, rather than looking for new ideas and innovations.

Kinda makes me wonder what will happen once their current IPs run out of juice...

• LordOfPitLordOfPit Member UncommonPosts: 86

Blizzard was lucky enough to be at the right time and the right place regarding developing an MMO. Just like Microsoft who's taken ideas, technologies and re-packaged it only to sell it for even more than the previous version, Blizzard crafts WoW in a cauldron filled with gravy made out of many older games and other cultural assets (movies, TV shows and other fiction not originally created by Blizzard). Pokemon playing Kung Fu Pandas anyone? image

So in my opinion, Blizzard wasn't ever that damn good and the rest of the developers were also not that bad. Also, a poll with just two answeres isn't looking for real answers anyway.

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748
    I was going to answer the poll, honest, but an event just popped up to help some Kodan gather panda bones to make new weapons with. Can't stay...

Oderint, dum metuant.

• rungardrungard Member Posts: 1,035

well i never played wow nearly as long as i played either eq or daoc so for me i see that its an ok game, but certainly no better than most of the other offerings.

i doubt they even know why theyve done so well..terrible graphics, easy game...

maybe thats what it takes for the masses.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    While I agree wow was lucky to launch during the dawn of broadband. So did coh and eq2. The former also with wow making the game more casual friendly.

So there's more too it than that, its s combination of factors. (thinking about it gw1 launched around that time too and that's probably 2nd most sucessfull western "mmo" after wow)
  • ZekiahZekiah Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    After playing Diablo 3, Blizzard has joined the Fail Club in my book.

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699
    Originally posted by Indol

Neither option.

Popularity is not indicative of quality.

Agreed.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• saurus123saurus123 Member UncommonPosts: 678

Let me start by sayin I played WoW for five years, with an embarrassing amout of time  /played on just my main not to mention my 8 alts. I stopped playing about a year and a half ago, and have no plans to go back. WoW is dated, and was taken in a direction that I could not agree with. Which brought a level of distrust for Blizzard that hasn't eased yet. 

With that said, how is it possible that Blizzard can take this old game with an older engine and probably sell more copies of it's 4th expansion than GW2, SwTOR, TSW and RIFT combined?! What does this say about the rest of the developers out there? How is it that Blizzard can make a game where millions of people play for years and these other developers can't make a game where most people want to play 6 months?  To be far I did play RIFT for ten months. I tip my hat to the TRION team, but that's a far cry from years. 

So which one is it? Blizzard is that good, or does the rest of the industry suck that bad? It's either more of one or the other.

edit - and an "e" to the "on" in the pole....

the answet is simple its the advertising

how many times you saw a big star add WoW in tv or over the internet?

and now how many times you saw big star add other game in tv or internet?

its in human nature to buy something even if they dont need just becouse they saw it in tv

• UNH0LYEV1LUNH0LYEV1L Member UncommonPosts: 571
    Blizzard used to be that good, they used to make awesome games.  But lately not so much.  Diablo 3 anyone?  World of Warcraft is hanging by a thread.  Not so much these day.  They definitly used to be the kings of MMORPG's though.
  • AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    They are a good developer but their success cannot be measured exponentially with it. They made the right product at the right time for the right audience. Each of us can argue whether WoW is that great according to our personal standards but there is no denying a large population wants to eat what Blizzard is serving up.

No, I don't believe Blizzard is that good neither do I believe others are that bad.
  • worldalphaworldalpha Member Posts: 403
    It is probably a bit of both Blizzard has the talent and money to create awesome MMO games.  Others are trying to imitate their success and haven't quite done it.  Blizzard also has a huge fanbase that keeps it wildly popular.

Thanks,
    Mike
    Working on Social Strategy MMORTS (now Launched!) http://www.worldalpha.com

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380
    Originally posted by Zekiah
    After playing Diablo 3, Blizzard has joined the Fail Club in my book.

Agreed.  They use to be a company that you could trust to make a good game, but now everything is about the bottom line.  I will now scrutinize any future game from blizzard.

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    It is worth mentioning that at this point a large amount, if not all, the top minds of Blizzard are working on Titan. My opinion may change depending on how Titan does as it will be released post "MMO fallout".
  • MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479

honestly I think Trion is worlds ahead of Blizzard, that being said they had the opportunity to create something spectacular with the system they had in place, they could have made the game built around the souls.  Instead they chose to make it a raid based, BG grind/dungeon grind game just like WOW, with a worse engine then WOW.

Rift is just another of the games that takes a week to max level then all thats left is gear grinding

• VikingGamerVikingGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,350

Vanilla ice cream is tasty and it is a pretty safe bet. I don't think I know anyone who hates vanilla ice cream. Lots of people may prefer something else over it but very few actually hate it. And if the only ice cream you have ever tried was vanilla, it would probably be what you asked for if you were given a choice later. Most people are not very adventuresome. They go with what is comfortable.

WoW is vanilla ice cream. It is safe. It is fun. It might not knock your socks off but you know you will more or less enjoy it. Most people don't change their habits. Their friends are in WoW. They have mounts and pets they have collected. They might have a title that can no longer be gotten. They have a lot of time and emotional energy invested in the game. It is the safe bet. It is not hard to play, it is reasonably fun, they don't have to learn how and when to use different skills and they don't have to take the chance that it will flop.

There is a reason that you can find vanilla ice cream at almost any restaurant you stop at.

Personally I like the vanilla with chocolate chips and nuts on it. That's why I still play Rift, vanilla with a little more.

All die, so die well.

• RaysheRayshe Member UncommonPosts: 1,279

WoW beat out all the other MMO's of its age. thats the reason why EQ2 is hardly played anymore. same with the FF game. Seriously. WoW beat out its original competition, then had time to put togeather the content that everyone wants.

I played WoW for 2 years. the only reason i played it was because i found people to play with. even that fell though after i played SWTOR i didnt want to play WoW, That however was before SWTOR ruined itself (early Beta). but afterwards i still couldn't go back to it. the game felt Dull and lifeless. then i played TSW, sorry but TSW will be holding my subscription for years to come. the game is just better.

Because i can.
    I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.
    Logic every gamers worst enemy.

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641
    Originally posted by Eir_S
    Neither.  I've played games from every Blizzard cash cow's genre that was better than their version, but one thing they do seem to be talented at is presentation and advertising.  So shame on other devs for not shoving their products in everyone's faces using Chuck Norris and Mini-Me, but Blizzard is not "that damn good".  They're good, but they're hardly the best video game company in my estimation.  And frankly, I'm kind of tired of hearing about them at this point.

+1

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641
    Originally posted by VikingGamer

Vanilla ice cream is tasty and it is a pretty safe bet. I don't think I know anyone who hates vanilla ice cream. Lots of people may prefer something else over it but very few actually hate it. And if the only ice cream you have ever tried was vanilla, it would probably be what you asked for if you were given a choice later. Most people are not very adventuresome. They go with what is comfortable.

WoW is vanilla ice cream. It is safe. It is fun. It might not knock your socks off but you know you will more or less enjoy it. Most people don't change their habits. Their friends are in WoW. They have mounts and pets they have collected. They might have a title that can no longer be gotten. They have a lot of time and emotional energy invested in the game. It is the safe bet. It is not hard to play, it is reasonably fun, they don't have to learn how and when to use different skills and they don't have to take the chance that it will flop.

There is a reason that you can find vanilla ice cream at almost any restaurant you stop at.

Well put.

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club